C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New Corsa Z06 CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 09:53 AM
AdrenalineJunkiee
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
I don't think there is a standard term. Scaling the MAF has been used in the manor you are describing. I prefer "re-calibrating" the MAF when I talk about changing the values of the MAF in any way because that would encompass any changes to the MAF. Don't get hung up on the lingo. .05% MAF increments would take a very long long time to get anywhere if you were tuning a Big Gulp intake so don't get hung up on someone else's subjective experiences either.
Speaking of those big intakes, have you had any experience with them? Trying to figure out if they are beneficial for a bolt-on car. Would rather hear people's experiences than having to buy one, tune it, and dyno test.
The following users liked this post:
B747VET (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:59 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,303 Likes on 859 Posts

They really shine when you port the blower and add a pulley along with a 95mm TB. If you're on stock blower and stock pulley don't bother. Also, they don't make a lot sense without upgrading to a 95mm+ TB.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:09 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

FROM TADGE (as quoted above):

The air filter itself is the focus of many discussions on low restriction. Its job is to keep foreign material out of the engine. Here again, there are many trade-off decisions balancing restriction with filter life (service interval) and filtration quality. Sacrificing either of the latter two improve the former. We tend to be conservative to make sure that our engines are very durable, so that does open up an opportunity for aftermarket systems.

As with many of the questions, all vehicle design is a balance of trade-offs. We do what is legal and right for the vast majority of customers".

Like many, I don’t take everything Tadge says as being biblical. And, like some others on here, I’ve done manufacturing track testing and I’ve spent a fair amount of time discussing design, development, and marketing issues with some GM engineers and with an industry wide respected outside consultant that GM paid to help them with ZR-1 design.

So, Tadge said that the door for improved performance is open on filter design due to the myriad governmental and warranty related restrictions or issues that GM has to deal with. When Tadge admits that an engine accessory or drivetrain component is necessarily not optimized for performance, why would anyone conclude otherwise? (Unless they have personal knowledge that Tadge owns a significant interest in an after market air filter manufacturer?). Why would anyone conclude that it is impossible for an optimized after market air filter to have discernible impact?

The point is that there is the dyno world and there is the real world. Both worlds have the ability to render valid observations. There are also individuals who have superior “feel” for performance issues and there are others who couldn’t recognize significant performance improvements or detractors if their lives depended on it. That’s not a put down. We are all different and each of us has differing abilities. Saying that perceived feel improvements observed or claimed by anyone are purely psychological is the actual generic put down often exhibited here.

Saying that a well engineered air filter can’t substantially eliminate the bog on these engines is also quite inaccurate when so many owners have made such an easy upgrade and observed that the “bog”, hesitations, and acceleration lags are completely eliminated. Now, just as each individual is different, so to every engine is different in subtle ways. If someone tells me that, unlike many others, his or her car had no observable improvements with an air filter upgrade, I’ll give the benefit of doubt that some other unusual factors are perhaps at work in that particular car.

Bottom line, again, anyone saying that they themselves are 100% all knowing and that everyone else who differs in opinion has inferior intellect, experience, and feel ability is what makes no contribution to any such discussion and takes some folks down false highways.

Last edited by B747VET; 04-11-2021 at 02:05 PM.
kenownr (04-29-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 05:27 PM
Sharkray1
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I never dreamed this post would get this much response. I appreciated the input from everyone.
RocksZC7 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 03:24 PM
Mikevercetti
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkray1
A few people ask for pics.

View of Corsa Carbon Fiber Airbox

Pic of overall engine with Corsa CAI
Did you have any issues getting your hood to latch on the passenger side? I have the same Corsa CAI installed and the coolant line that sits on top of/next to the airbox seems to interfere with the hood latching properly. I have to press down on the hood on the passenger side to get it to latch.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:59 AM
-ZEEOHSIX-
Burning Brakes

Received 540 Likes on 285 Posts

FWIW, I had my car on the dyno dead-stock to get a baseline. Afterward, I installed a cold air (Halltech) then drove the car around for about 200 miles (~2 months) and then put it on the dyno again. It made ~27whp more than it did last time under similar weather conditions, backed up by three pulls all fairly consistent; 25-29whp. No real change in torque worth mentioning, however.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:53 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 299 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by -ZEEOHSIX-
FWIW, I had my car on the dyno dead-stock to get a baseline. Afterward, I installed a cold air (Halltech) then drove the car around for about 200 miles (~2 months) and then put it on the dyno again. It made ~27whp more than it did last time under similar weather conditions, backed up by three pulls all fairly consistent; 25-29whp. No real change in torque worth mentioning, however.

I believe you. I had the same results, only a bit better, when I dyno'd mine stock, added the Halltech, drove it a few days, then dyno'd again. Same dyno, same conditions, and gained about 40 SAE RWHP. That was in 2016 and my first mod to my 2015 Z06.

The idea that keeps being posted here is that the gains will "go away" with time and the ECM "learning away" the gains are totally untrue. My tune, the air/fuel ratio, the timing advance under WOT, has not changed except when I change the tune. My gains through mods have never gone away, and the changes I have made using HPTuners haven't gone away. The LTFT's stay the same, the ECM hasn't learned away the changes to go back to stock. This did not happen to my modded and tuned C5, my modded and tuned C6 Z06, or my current, modded and tuned C7 Z06.

It's really easy to be a keyboard cowboy and disbelieve other's results. It's just a few key strokes. However, if you do a little searching you will find many, MANY, independent shops verifying my and other's gains with the Halltech CAI on a C7 Z06. Probably the same with the AFE and now the Corsa, but I haven't personally seen them used.

It's like politics I guess, people will believe what they want. I know, to everyone on here I'm just another cowboy, However, the facts are out there. Halltech sent out CAI's to independent shops to test. Check out Katech's results and others. Cheers all.

Last edited by 6Speeder; 04-29-2021 at 09:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 6Speeder:
-ZEEOHSIX- (04-29-2021), dar02081961 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 11:07 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 846 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunkiee
The OEM tube on is larger in diameter than the AFE tube oddly enough.
That is interesting. I wasn't aware of that.
In the photo below you can see the Halltech has a good bit more diameter than stock.
I always thought the AFE did as well.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:12 PM
-ZEEOHSIX-
Burning Brakes

Received 540 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
I believe you. I had the same results, only a bit better, when I dyno'd mine stock, added the Halltech, drove it a few days, then dyno'd again. Same dyno, same conditions, and gained about 40 SAE RWHP. That was in 2016 and my first mod to my 2015 Z06.

The idea that keeps being posted here is that the gains will "go away" with time and the ECM "learning away" the gains are totally untrue. My tune, the air/fuel ratio, the timing advance under WOT, has not changed except when I change the tune. My gains through mods have never gone away, and the changes I have made using HPTuners haven't gone away. The LTFT's stay the same, the ECM hasn't learned away the changes to go back to stock. This did not happen to my modded and tuned C5, my modded and tuned C6 Z06, or my current, modded and tuned C7 Z06.

It's really easy to be a keyboard cowboy and disbelieve other's results. It's just a few key strokes. However, if you do a little searching you will find many, MANY, independent shops verifying my and other's gains with the Halltech CAI on a C7 Z06. Probably the same with the AFE and now the Corsa, but I haven't personally seen them used.

It's like politics I guess, people will believe what they want. I know, to everyone on here I'm just another cowboy, However, the facts are out there. Halltech sent out CAI's to independent shops to test. Check out Katech's results and others. Cheers all.
Yeah. That's why I tried to emphasize that it was about two months later and about 200 miles apart under similar weather conditions. You'd think that the ECU would have relearned. Also, when I went to a different dyno sometime later, the baseline numbers before my lid swap and tune were within spitting distance +/- of the aforementioned baseline with just the CAI and the car being stock.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:16 AM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by -ZEEOHSIX-
Yeah. That's why I tried to emphasize that it was about two months later and about 200 miles apart under similar weather conditions. You'd think that the ECU would have relearned. Also, when I went to a different dyno sometime later, the baseline numbers before my lid swap and tune were within spitting distance +/- of the aforementioned baseline with just the CAI and the car being stock.

I would love to see where people (not you) get the info that the ECM "LEARNS" and changes the tune. That just isnt how it works on modern GM ECM's. The only thing that changes in the ECM is the short term and long term fuel trims (STFT/LTFT) and those only affect part throttle driving where the ECM is using the narrowband O2 sensors to try and maintain stoichiometric (14.7 for pure gas or 14.1 for E10 gas) ratio's. The moment the throttle is pushed to WOT those tables are ignore and the car goes from running in closed loop operation to open loop. It then uses a fixed parameters to maintain a set target A/F ratio when under WOT conditions.

The biggest reason HP numbers change is going to be gas, outside temps, temps on the dyno and the biggest one... the change in the air quality and how it affects D/A. My car is a great example of this. Bone stock my car put down 566rwhp, over 4 weeks I added a Halltech CAI, AWE catless x-pipe and a Mamo V2 PTB. Dyno'd the car again and it made 596rwhp. So right at 30rwhp gain from those 3 minor mods. I brought the car back 2 months later for a DSX E85 kit, AEM CANBUS WB02, a gas tune and a E85 tune. During this time a weather system had moved into my state, even though the temps were in the 60°-70° range and were great for dyno runs, the humidity was in the 85%-95% range the entire time. We are around 1100' here in OKC, the D/A is typically around the 2500' range, the day of my dyno tune the D/A was 4400'

There are so many variable that can affect HP from day to day, some people just dont understand that.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:42 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 585 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Gixxerman
I still think most are snake oil.. I have the GM one and it has a minor increase because of better filter... which you could do as well. No matter what you use, unless you improve where you pull cold air from.. they make no difference. Placebo affect mainly. I have seen real time dyno results of very little, about what a better filter would do. I know some who swear it's like 50hp+ just not really true. Just take everything in the propaganda with a grain of salt GL
We have over 20 independent dynos showing a gain of over 50 RWHP, with just the addition of our Stinger RZ intake. I have posted them on the forum, so search and you can judge for yourself.
If you find these numbers too hard to swallow, check out what our customer Joel did with our ram air system, the Stinger RAZ: Halltech did not solicit this dyno, and Joel originally did not post this dyno due to his belief that something must have been wrong with the dyno. Not likely.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 04-30-2021, 09:50 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Just going from stock to our RAZ intake. Here are real numbers showing the results:
Old 04-30-2021, 09:59 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Our 2015 C7 Z06 with the Stinger RAZ onboard

No tuning or anything else onboard except our ram air system. Pushes a huge volume of air directly into the bottom of the air intake vestibule. Gains are obtained by increasing the stock boost of 9.4 PSI to 12.1 PSI. Does that make sense? You can argue all you want, and select any intake you prefer, but over the years, we still sell more intakes to the tuners and big shops than any other system on the market. No other gains in boost at 140+ mph. The ECU has a threshold for max boost. Tuning would likely open up more available boost.
Jim Hall

Last edited by Halltech; 04-30-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: New Corsa Z06 CAI