C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Free intercooler bleeding! - Cincinnati OH

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Dougpaper
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Me also,
The following users liked this post:
atljar (03-25-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 10:42 AM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Didn't realize there may be a list. Please contact me as well once available.
atljar (03-25-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 04:20 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Add me too!

Ron
atljar (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:31 AM
edster75
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd like to be on the list too!
atljar (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:51 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Add me to that list, massive air pockets in my car
atljar (03-25-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 02:08 PM
r84boomer66
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Add me to list please
atljar (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 08:44 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 368 Likes on 243 Posts

so the bottom line is that you need the tank which is used to have at least a couple quarts of fluid, and to never fully release the vacuum?

wouldn't the fluid flow back into the space inside the system previously occupied by air if you released the vacuum fully? i myself am unsure, not fully thought it through.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:59 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by phalse
so the bottom line is that you need the tank which is used to have at least a couple quarts of fluid, and to never fully release the vacuum?

wouldn't the fluid flow back into the space inside the system previously occupied by air if you released the vacuum fully? i myself am unsure, not fully thought it through.
By coordinating changes in vacuum levels with actuation of the CAC pump, you can get a surging effect through the system. This helps remove air pockets in hard to bleed areas.

Keeping some level of vacuum on the system means that trapped air within the CAC circuit wants to continually move towards the vacuum pump, which is what we want. If you were to release vacuum fully, air pockets will just get stuck again. The goal is to keep them on the move and eventually out of the system entirely.
The following 2 users liked this post by atljar:
BigVette427 (03-29-2021), LagunaSecaZ06 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 01:12 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

I checked my tank and after having bled it twice with the hand pump with the car raised on the end of my lift where the rear bumper was basically touching the ground. I had gotten it to where there were 2 silver dollar sized air pockets. I had not opened the system caps since. I checked again yesterday and 1 is now the diameter of a lemon cut in half and the other one is about 50% more than that. WTH??

Ron

Last edited by Dr.Ron; 03-29-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:27 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

Even if doing the tilt method, steps must be taken to ensure that you don't have trapped air in the system. This is why we have to run the pump, pull and release vacuum multiple times, run the pump again and again until all that air is displaced properly. This is why I disconnected my reservoir and filled my overflow tube by quite a bit to ensure that when the fluid gets pulled back, that no air gets pulled back when vacuum is released. To ensure this, I did some vacuum releases while the intercooler pump was running to boost fluid circulation.

If you have an aggressive vacuum/release system with a good reserve as I imagine the op's intercooler bleed box is, then there should be sufficient coolant reserve in the box to always ensure that on the cycle of vacuum to release that it never allows air to get back in, but also takes advantage of the pressure differential to provide more of a dislodging force to move any trapped air.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:33 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
I checked my tank and after having bled it twice with the hand pump with the car raised on the end of my lift where the rear bumper was basically touching the ground. I had gotten it to where there were 2 silver dollar sized air pockets. I had not opened the system caps since. I checked again yesterday and 1 is now the diameter of a lemon cut in half and the other one is about 50% more than that. WTH??

Ron
That's fairly common from what I've seen, including on my own car before I came up with this system. My hypothesis somewhat ties back into statements I made before about the reservoir being a gauge to how much air is in the system. Even if you bleed it well and get most of the air out of the reservoir, there is still air trapped in the intercooler bricks, or on the top side of the forward heat exchanger, in the lines etc. These pockets can create microscopic air bubbles or dissolved air in the coolant, which eventually will accumulate and build up in the reservoir again. In extreme cases it will even cause the CAC pump to shut down from cavitation (see some of the G Speed threads if you haven't, credit to them on that discovery).

If you put the CAC system under a decent vacuum and watch the coolant being removed from the system (whether with my bleeder or a hand vacuum pump and tube setup), you will see large air bubbles coming out of it. If you then run the coolant pump while under vacuum, you will see tons of small bubbles also coming out. It almost looks like fizzy carbonation in a soft drink. Keep repeating the process you did, and eventually the air building up in the reservoir after driving will be less and less. The fizzy carbonation effect will also end. Its just a laborious venture doing it that way. I have not seen any major air pockets reform after using my Bleeder, BUT from the cars I have done it seems like they go from two dime sized spots to about two quarter sized spots of air in the reservoir. Then from that point they will stabilize.

Last edited by atljar; 03-29-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:47 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SladeX
Even if doing the tilt method, steps must be taken to ensure that you don't have trapped air in the system. This is why we have to run the pump, pull and release vacuum multiple times, run the pump again and again until all that air is displaced properly. This is why I disconnected my reservoir and filled my overflow tube by quite a bit to ensure that when the fluid gets pulled back, that no air gets pulled back when vacuum is released. To ensure this, I did some vacuum releases while the intercooler pump was running to boost fluid circulation.

If you have an aggressive vacuum/release system with a good reserve as I imagine the op's intercooler bleed box is, then there should be sufficient coolant reserve in the box to always ensure that on the cycle of vacuum to release that it never allows air to get back in, but also takes advantage of the pressure differential to provide more of a dislodging force to move any trapped air.
Agreed!
Old 03-31-2021, 01:55 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll take one. Add me to the list. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2021, 11:39 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I would like to be on the list
Old 04-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Prop Job
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron

Ron
The top of the reservoir isn't the only place that traps air, it's just the only place you can see. Air is also trapped in the top of the heat exchanger and the top of the intercooler bricks. I don't care how much vacuum you pull, if you don't lift the car from the front and bleed under vacuum, then lift from the driver's side and bleed under vacuum you will never get all the air out. I made a detailed write up on how to properly bleed our cars and tried to get it stickied but never got any traction.
LagunaSecaZ06 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 12:40 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy A
I would like to be on the list
subscribed
Old 04-04-2021, 12:45 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Prop Job
I don't care how much vacuum you pull, if you don't lift the car from the front and bleed under vacuum, then lift from the driver's side and bleed under vacuum you will never get all the air out.
While I agree that the reservoir is not the only place that traps air, this statement above is scientifically incorrect. When you start pulling vacuums down to the micron levels, like you can with a HVAC pump, air doesn't remain, that's the whole concept of vacuum bleeding. It just turns out that pneumatic bleeders don't have anough power to get you there

​​

Get notified of new replies

To Free intercooler bleeding! - Cincinnati OH

Old 04-04-2021, 08:33 PM
bhizzleZ
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

@atljar will this be able to complete other vehicles with the kit you'll put together? Additionally, can you provide your website where we can purchase, so I can keep an eye out for when they go live. Can I pick up as I am in Dayton?

B
Old 04-04-2021, 09:43 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bhizzleZ
@atljar will this be able to complete other vehicles with the kit you'll put together? Additionally, can you provide your website where we can purchase, so I can keep an eye out for when they go live. Can I pick up as I am in Dayton?

B
For The 'Cooler Bleeder to function there are two qualifications:
- First, every vehicle is going to need a method needed to attach to the CAC cooling circuit. As of right now, I have "plugs" (basically adapters) available for Cadillac ATS-V, CTS V-Sport, CTS-V, XTS-V, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Cobalt SS, Corvette Z06, Corvette ZR1, Ford Mustang GT500, SVT Lightning, SVT Mustang Cobra and Saturn Ion Red Line. I also have a plug for Corvette LT4 with Maggie 2300, and very soon CPR expansion tanks. For a more exacting break down of the exact year by year coverages, see the connection chart on my website.
- Secondly, the vehicle's onboard CAC / intercooler pump has to be wired a certain way from the factory, max of 20a draw, and it cant be a can-bus controlled pump. This hasn't been too problematic, yet. I foresee eventually everything will be can-bus controlled, but we aren't there yet. I also haven't seen any amp draw issues with any pump yet, other than aftermarket reprogramed Stewarts.

All the models I mention, I've already done the R/D and homework to make sure the plug and the wiring all works, and provide that information to you on the connection chart. Once you own the main bleeding unit, when I come out with additional model fitments, you simply will have to buy the new plug to have coverage for the new model.

I also have universal Tee fittings, as was discussed a little on the first page. This will allow you to hookup the bleeder to most any CAC hoses and create your own bleed port. From there, you will need to find out how to get The 'Cooler Bleeders power output to your CAC pump (I can help as needed)

The website is www.coolerbleeder.com . I expect Mid May / early June for units to be back in stock. You are more than welcome to pickup locally. I can give a in person demo/tutorial as well, if you would like.

-Jared

Last edited by atljar; 04-04-2021 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:23 AM
edster75
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

Definitely interested in one. I own a small machine shop so pm me if u need any parts made.
atljar (04-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Free intercooler bleeding! - Cincinnati OH