C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hit an armadillo...do I need to replace these?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 07:57 PM
JasonVette
Drifting

Received 1,211 Likes on 596 Posts
Default Hit an armadillo...do I need to replace these?

Hit an armadillo on a backroad cruise and broke my splitter. I've since taken it off until I replace it, but it also broke the piece under my car. I don't know it's purpose and wanted to know if I can just remove it. I also want to know if I can remove the plastic pieces in front of my front wheels.

It's hanging

Do I even need these
Old 06-06-2021, 11:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,002 Likes on 5,369 Posts

The two flexible pieces in front of the wheels look like they are fine. I can't really see the dark piece in the center of the car to tell what it is. If you had a stock stage 3 or stage 3 splitter then you would have had two panels attached to it. There would have been a large piece that bolted to the front edge of the splitter with 22 bolts and would have also had 4 bolts tieing it to the cradle. That piece is the Undertray. Above the undertray, there would be a smaller panel called the Front Deflector. If you had a Stage 1 Aero car you wouldn't have an undertray but you would have the Front Deflector.

Front Spittler with Undertray or as GM calls it a Deflector:

Front Deflector that is installed above the undertray:

If you have a Stage 2 or 3 Aero Car wouldn't you want to have the parts that are included in the package? They do provide better down force when on track. Not much benefit at highway speeds. The Front Deflector is required since it also serves a cooling function.

Bill
Old 06-07-2021, 02:53 AM
JasonVette
Drifting

The car came with the stage 1 aero. I want purely straight line performance as I don't track the car. I also don't care much for cooling as I will be adding aftermarket cooling to the car in the future. Does that mean I can remove both the plastic pieces in front of the wheels and in the center under the car? I just don't see a use for them in my application but if they served some additional function like preventing debris or something I'd put it to consideration.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:21 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW, guess you would have much rather hit a Squirrel!!
Old 06-07-2021, 01:27 PM
JasonVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
WOW, guess you would have much rather hit a Squirrel!!
No kidding. These Texas backroads can be a dangerous place for low cars haha
The following users liked this post:
jbsblownc5 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 01:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,002 Likes on 5,369 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonVette
The car came with the stage 1 aero. I want purely straight line performance as I don't track the car. I also don't care much for cooling as I will be adding aftermarket cooling to the car in the future. Does that mean I can remove both the plastic pieces in front of the wheels and in the center under the car? I just don't see a use for them in my application but if they served some additional function like preventing debris or something I'd put it to consideration.
The side air dams deflect air away from the tires. The center air dam isn't used on Z51s and wide body cars with Stage 2 and 3 Aero, I didn't realize it was mounted on any wide body cars even if they had Stage 1 Aero since it isn't used on the Z51. I suspect without it the front end might get a little lighter at triple digit speeds but the only way to know is to try not using it. All three of those pieces are meant to be wear and tear parts that are low cost and easily replaceable.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
JasonVette (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 07:45 PM
spoolin98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 98 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing since I got my Z years ago, do I need those 2 things hanging down on either side? I dont even know what they are called and I never knew what they were for.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:29 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The side air dams deflect air away from the tires. All three of those pieces are meant to be wear and tear parts that are low cost and easily replaceable.

Bill
Yes and they wear fast on the track Mine survived an armadillo but not the track

Last edited by ErnieN85; 06-07-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hit an armadillo...do I need to replace these?

Quick Reply: Hit an armadillo...do I need to replace these?