C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Low oil pressure light / turn engine off

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 10:25 PM
MikesC7Z06
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure light / turn engine off

Car has no leaks and has plenty of oil in it.
45k. miles

Had a low oil pressure light on start up this morning. Immediately turned the car off. Must be the oil pressure sensor. Just to make sure I had pressure took the wires off the coils and bumped the car over. Oil came out of the sensor location,
a lot. Got a new sensor from the dealership. Put the new sensor in and gauge still show no zero.
The car did not come on with the warning reading low oil pressure, turn off engine.

Going to put a manual gauge in but fittings are a
pain to find the exact one needed.

Just stumped at the moment and wanted to see if anyone has ran in to this before.

Mike
Old 03-11-2023, 08:04 PM
Track
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 194 Posts

Trying to understand...you have a low pressure warning and the oil pressure gage reads zero?
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (03-11-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 04:53 AM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

MikesC7Z06:
Be aware that there have been reported oil pump failures in LT4 equipped Camaro ZL1’s. There may be Corvette Z06 oil pump failures that I’m not aware of. Tread carefully and consideration should be given to a visit to the dealer.
NCC-1701 (03-12-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 12:41 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cheetah45
MikesC7Z06:
Be aware that there have been reported oil pump failures in LT4 equipped Camaro ZL1’s. There may be Corvette Z06 oil pump failures that I’m not aware of. Tread carefully and consideration should be given to a visit to the dealer.
The Camaro ZL1 do not use the corvette LT4 dry sump pump It use the oil pump from the LT1 because the ZL1 is not a dry sump motor
Old 03-12-2023, 01:09 PM
douniasg
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

You can use this fitting to attach a gauge easily. It goes on the driver front side of the block.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...oaAlJ3EALw_wcB
Old 03-12-2023, 08:31 PM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sammy burks
The Camaro ZL1 do not use the corvette LT4 dry sump pump It use the oil pump from the LT1 because the ZL1 is not a dry sump motor
I knew that the ZL1 was a wet sump but I was not aware that different oil pumps are used from vette to camaro. Thanks for the clarification. I thought they used the same variable displacement oil pump. Learning something new every day.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:37 AM
sotrx
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

I had my oil pump replaced at 3000 miles - yes they do break, albeit mine didn't fail or do any damage, but my issue was similar to yours.
I spent nearly 6 months trying to figure it out, so please just use my six months to go straight for a pump replacement .
Old 03-13-2023, 03:39 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by MikesC7Z06
45k. miles

Had a low oil pressure light on start up this morning. Immediately turned the car off. Must be the oil pressure sensor. Just to make sure I had pressure took the wires off the coils and bumped the car over. Oil came out of the sensor location,
a lot. Got a new sensor from the dealership. Put the new sensor in and gauge still show no zero.
The car did not come on with the warning reading low oil pressure, turn off engine.

Just stumped at the moment and wanted to see if anyone has ran in to this before.

Mike

There is wiring that makes the OP sensor work…you’ll have to check the wiring if new sensor installed but still no oil pressure !!…BTW to just make the car crank over without starting just push the gas pedal to the floor and leave it there will trying to start the car…this will not fire the fuel injectors and is called a “clear flood crank” !!
Old 03-16-2023, 03:29 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by MikesC7Z06
45k. miles

Mike
This is certainly not what we like to hear, MikesC7Z06. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your vehicle. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: MikesC7Z06/Corvette Forums in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com
LiManZ06 (03-16-2023)
Old 04-28-2024, 06:31 PM
Otto Repairman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced the same exact scenario as OP described. 16' Z06 22kmi. Attached analog gage and registers 16psi cold @ idle. Researched and found a TSB indicating tensioner failure can cascade to pump failure https://gm-techlink.com/?p=12041, I disassembled and found two discolored rod caps. NOT GOOD! New engine time.
A friend doing a cam swap found a failed tensioner in his 17' Z06 luckily prior to catastrophe.
Pay attention to what you see as normal on your gages

Get notified of new replies

To Low oil pressure light / turn engine off

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure light / turn engine off