C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:51 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Power-to-weight ratio and tires is key to whether the ZR1 can best the 6:47 time.
HP levels seem to be similar, but that can be misleading when weight is factored in.

Anyone know what the GT2 RS weighs?
3,241lbs with a full tank of gas from road and track article.

Last edited by thegame; 01-09-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Power-to-weight ratio and tires is key to whether the ZR1 can best the 6:47 time.
HP levels seem to be similar, but that can be misleading when weight is factored in.

Anyone know what the GT2 RS weighs?
Around 3350lbs. It's a good bit lighter than the ZR1.

The ZR1 will make up some time with its sheer mechanical grip. The Corvette has a little advantage there along with its massive tq, provided it can actually it down.

Last edited by Kappa; 01-09-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:58 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
Yeah I feel like such a loser driving a lowly Z06 around, especially every time I pass a Porsche...I just wish to god that someday I could have one of those

Honestly man, I hope you don't go through life like that...Drive what YOU like, not what people think you 'should' like.

By your metric Rick Hendrick must feel like the worlds biggest loser...
No that's not what I said. Some people FEEL cooler in a Porsche. I'm saying it's mostly how you feel when you have a car. Some people love low riders and find Corvettes boring. Everyone here (mostly) is trying to measure value over and over again.
'Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder'. You can't measure things back and forth like that. To say the ZR1 is better than any car you compare it is impossible. So if 100 people like the Vette but 100,000 like a Toyota who is right?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:59 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
No that's not what I said. Some people FEEL cooler in a Porsche. I'm saying it's mostly how you feel when you have a car. Some people love low riders and find Corvettes boring. Everyone here (mostly) is trying to measure value over and over again.
'Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder'. You can't measure things back and forth like that. To say the ZR1 is better than any car you compare it is impossible. So if 100 people like the Vette but 100,000 like a Toyota who is right?
It's funny how some Vette guys get all butthurt by a comment like that meanwhile anytime someone compliments a camaro or mustang they are the first ones to remind everyone that its NOT a Corvette acting all snobby lmao
The following 3 users liked this post by thegame:
2fastnow (01-09-2018), svtkeith (01-09-2018), TARANTULA (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:04 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Call it ~3,201lbs!

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...t-test-review/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-09-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
The only magazine to test the GT2RS officially is SportAuto and it came in at 1521kg on their scales. If anything, the US version might be a little heavier than that.

Last edited by Kappa; 01-09-2018 at 12:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kappa:
johnglenntwo (01-09-2018), Telepierre (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
I don't think too many people are expecting the ZR1 to beat the GT2RS time...but anything within sniffing distance is a HUGE win for Corvette. When you factor in not only the cost, but the overall WELL-ROUNDED nature of the car compared to the GT2RS, then it would be HUGELY impressive to come withing 5-10 seconds of it. I also think it'll beat the GT2RS on certain tracks...I'm thinking MRLS etc. Which would be a total embarrassment for the GT2RS and it's Weissach package. But is it? NO. Because the people buying the GT2RS don't really care, they are likely happy with and enjoying their GT2RS, just like ZR1 owners will.

Side Note: the ZR1 can actually be driven as a DD and has enough space to put 'real' luggage in it. It doesn't have an A/C delete, radio delete and whatever else you can delete for $31,000. Lol. Yet it'll hang with anything out there on the road = Impressive. Porsche needed a purpose built race car just to compete. (sarcasm, but truth in it)

Not sure what your hang-up is with this truly impressive vehicle. I've owned Porsche's, Ferrari's, BMW's, Audi's etc...and now also own a Z06. I didn't buy it for the cost savings, I bought it AFTER I went to the other dealerships and found the Z06 to be the most fun car I'd ever driven on the street...the '84 Ruf is a close 2nd. So, please stop with all the "rich people who are 'in the know' buy Porsche's" because they are somehow better at choosing cars. I spent $330k on a 612 Scaglietti back in 2009. It's a nice car. But it'll put you to sleep compared to a Z06. Where was my money better spent? Answer: Who cares! Both cars are worth a lot less than I paid for them, but, it's my money and I can spend it however I want. In your eyes, even on 'inferior' products such as a lowly Corvette.

Life is short, drive what you enjoy. All cars are cool in their own way.
I'm not putting down the ZR1 in the least, great car and for the money it can't be beat but unfortunately some of the people in here seem to think it's the be all and end all of track cars to which my reply is "no, it's not", so quit drinking from the kool aid trough, admit it and move on.

People who can't admit the obvious no matter how engaging the facts are just aren't right in the head. They want to see what they want, you tell them the sky is blue and they'll say it's green. Tell them the world is round they'll arguing until their last breath that it's flat. I guess that's how some people are and yes, they walk among us.

I would be happy as pigs in schit if the ZR1 could break the 7 minute mark which I'm sure it will and when it does I will be very proud of the Corvette team (not that I'm not already) but being a realist, 6:47 is a blistering time, I've driven a few laps on the Nurburgring back in 2010 in a race prepped Sciracco, getting 8's wasn't easy so I can say with FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE (which most people in here can't), high 6's is an achievement and a half and it shows how good the car and driver are.

Long live the C7 and all it's variants, the best Corvette to come out of Bowling Green period.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
The only magazine to test the GT2RS officially is SportAuto and it came in at 1521kg on their scales. If anything, the US version might be a little heavier than that.
Thank you! I recall the 1521 (3353.231) but could not remember where ..I'll look for the article.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:45 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

You could make that comment for just about ANYTHING in life. I like a hot dog better than a Prime Rib-eye from Ruth's Chris. (not true really) If it's my opinion then it's true for ME. That can literally be said about anything in life.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by themonk
I'm not putting down the ZR1 in the least, great car and for the money it can't be beat but unfortunately some of the people in here seem to think it's the be all and end all of track cars to which my reply is "no, it's not", so quit drinking from the kool aid trough, admit it and move on.
Who?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk

People who can't admit the obvious no matter how engaging the facts are just aren't right in the head. They want to see what they want, you tell them the sky is blue and they'll say it's green. Tell them the world is round they'll arguing until their last breath that it's flat. I guess that's how some people are and yes, they walk among us.

I would be happy as pigs in schit if the ZR1 could break the 7 minute mark which I'm sure it will and when it does I will be very proud of the Corvette team (not that I'm not already) but being a realist, 6:47 is a blistering time, I've driven a few laps on the Nurburgring back in 2010 in a race prepped Sciracco, getting 8's wasn't easy so I can say with FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE (which most people in here can't), high 6's is an achievement and a half and it shows how good the car and driver are.

Long live the C7 and all it's variants, the best Corvette to come out of Bowling Green period.
At the moment, no one can say anything on either side of the fence. You can't say with certainty that it'll be slower than the GT2RS, or faster. I think we all make 'fairly' accurate assumptions about its likely level of performance, only time will tell if we're right.

As for the 'be all, end all' comment. Honestly, IF (it's a BIG IF), it's 2nd ONLY to the GT2RS, then YES, it will be the 'be all, end all track car' particularly considering how well rounded it is. There is NO other car on the market that even comes close to delivering the balanced performance of the ZR1. Daily driver with actual space and a track day king. So people are not crazy for making such comments/comparisons. Obviously, this assumes it runs a sub 7 min Ring time.

How is that drinking the cool aid? It's one of one in the 'well-rounded, DD, track rat category.'
Old 01-09-2018, 01:01 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
It is not a different company... geeze... reading this stuff is hilarious. Weissach, could be considered '1LE' or 'ZO7'... weissach is Porsche giveing recognition to one of their original factories... it is 100% a Porsche in house built car/package.

The GT2RS will beat the ZR1 handidly around the Nurburgring... no doubt about it. And for $300K it should.

The ZR1 will beat MANY cars TWICE it's price range, which is what Corvette has been good at! It's still a compromise with a Supercharger... but not one I wouldn't seriously consider in the future.

I for one am glad to see Corvette (finally) going Twin Turbo for the mid.

Best Regards,
Dave
Someone had said it was, I didn't know for sure that's why I put the ? Looked in to it myself and that's why in the quote you have it doesn't say that anymore. It had been changed before you quoted it. I should have said sent to Weissach for more modification and left it at that. I'm actually a Porsche fan and national PCA Instuctor, have Daily driven since 2011, a modded 911 turbo, GT2 clone really the front diff pulled, proper RWD conversion with 997 cup LSD and it made about 120 hp less than this new one with billet turbos etc. The point was the great thing about Corvette is that though GM builds them for a wide market as far as sports cars are concerned, the deep after market usually comes up with cheap solutions to make it do what you want well. I know there no sense in bringing the aftermarket into a discussion about stock rings times, but it is something I consider on purchase.
Yes I like big wings because they work. I really like both brands and love the rivalry between the two without it racing would not be as fun for me.
Attached Images   

Last edited by z06801; 01-09-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The Z06 is 3524 lbs.; I estimate the weight of the ZR1 at 3600 (extra radiators, etc.).
Using a bit of math (3600-3350) puts the difference between the 2 cars at approx. 250lbs.
IMO and FWIW, I would give the ZR1 a decent chance of being quicker at the Ring.
Naturally, YMMV.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:16 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Nope!

Originally Posted by thegame
3,241lbs with a full tank of gas from road and track article.
Porsche switches up the boost shorter term. Watch the GT2 RS and the 918 do it at the last straight bridge!

The BeastlyVette will be having a lot of interventions!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-09-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:23 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Porsche switches up the boost shorter term. Watch the GT2 RS and the 918 do it at the last straight bridge!

The BeastlyVette will be having a lot of interventions!
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WEIGHTTTTTT!!!

You make no sense
Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default !? ;)

Originally Posted by thegame
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WEIGHTTTTTT!!!

You make no sense
Old 01-09-2018, 03:17 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

I watch those Nürburgring time video's on all types of cars present/past. I believe the ZR1 will hold it's own on the curves..ZR1's aero system is second to none. I bet that wing is their secret weapon on the last strait on the Nürburgring. The ZR1's design front to back is made for top speed. Go USA! Still, I want a GT3 because I do.

Get notified of new replies

To When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1

Old 01-09-2018, 04:36 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Tadge said it can do 200+ with the big wing!

I watch those Nürburgring time video's on all types of cars present/past. I believe the ZR1 will hold it's own on the curves..ZR1's aero system is second to none. I bet that wing is their secret weapon on the last strait on the Nürburgring. The ZR1's design front to back is made for top speed. Go USA! Still, I want a GT3 because I do.
Figure the wing pitch being minimum there so not what they'll have at The Ring (+5deg).

There should be that fast 190 MPH!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-09-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I think I read recently the big rear wing will generate around 1,000 lbs. downforce on the back of the car.
IMO (again), this is just what the LT5 really needs to shine in the corners.

After owning my car for awhile now and having some real fun on the rural backroads here in Oregon, I have come to the conclusion the LT4 in the Z06 could also benefit a great deal from a big rear wing and its downforce.
The 650hp/lbs. can overpower the excellent chassis and tires pretty quickly.
I would LOVE to have the kind of grip the C7R enjoys.

And speaking of the C7R....
For the those who are unfamiliar with the car, the IMSA race series in which GM's factory Corvette Racing Team competes, limits the HP of the GTLM class (the class the team competes in) to 500hp.
Per class rules, the C7R weighs a little over 2600lbs.
It has a 5.5L NA pushrod engine.
AFAIK, it is the only car of its class that actually is an NA.

And DON'T forget to program your DVRs for the 24 Hours of Daytona on the 27th & 28th on the Fox TV channels.
https://www.imsa.com/

A couple of years ago at Daytona, Team Yellow blessed us with the greatest finish in the history of endurance racing:

The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

I think I read recently the big rear wing will generate around 1,000 lbs. downforce on the back of the car.
IMO (again), this is just what the LT5 really needs to shine in the corners.

After owning my car for awhile now and having some real fun on the rural backroads here in Oregon, I have come to the conclusion the LT4 in the Z06 could also benefit a great deal from a big rear wing and its downforce.
The 650hp/lbs. can overpower the excellent chassis and tires pretty quickly.
I would LOVE to have the kind of grip the C7R enjoys.

And speaking of the C7R....
For the those who are unfamiliar with the car, the IMSA race series in which GM's factory Corvette Racing Team competes, limits the HP of the GTLM class (the class the team competes in) to 500hp.
Per class rules, the C7R weighs a little over 2600lbs.
It has a 5.5L NA pushrod engine.
AFAIK, it is the only car of its class that actually is an NA.

And DON'T forget to program your DVRs for the 24 Hours of Daytona on the 27th & 28th on the Fox TV channels.
https://www.imsa.com/

A couple of years ago at Daytona, Team Yellow blessed us with the greatest finish in the history of endurance racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE5cA2YTius&t=25s
I read that too but I wasn't sure. I didn't want the noise here. I think the GT2 only gets 300 lbs (please not sure).
That's the ticket with USA smarts! It's hard to get any time on the curves. That wing (if it's true) will kill them! GM knows for many years what those wings can do from racing. The combo of aero knowledge GM will show the world who wears the shoes on this planet!

Quick Reply: When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1