C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Convertible with the big wing - in the plant parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Just my opinion but the addition of the new coolers and the hood bulge on the front of the car makes it look like it has the mumps and the Wing is totally ridiculous on a Vert. This car is WGG with pearl nickel wheels and should be beautiful but it is not. It is fugly.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:59 PM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
I get that it’s functional.
It looks tacked on, like it doesn’t belong, it does not appear functional, it looks like it belongs in the original Fast and the Furious.
So if it looks rice, but is functional, then it can’t be rice....makes no sense. A Civic with the same wing will add some sort of downforce, it may not be optimal, but it would serve its purpose to produce some sort of down force. Then by your definition, that can’t be rice.

This car would look allot better with the Z06’s stage 3 wicker bill spoiler
Guy pulls into cars and coffee with a ZO6. Stage 3 splitter,side skirts,and spoiler..with wickerbill. All exposed carbon fiber. Pulls up next to ZR-1 with a big wing and calls the other guy ricer or poser.
Or the guy who buys a 755 hp most powerful corvette of all time with carbon fiber everywhere,huge hood bulge giant front splitter but says the wing is “too much”
I have seen the car in person and it is bad *** wing and all. I can’t afford a new one right now but if I was getting one I want the wing. Weather you track the car or not it is one of the design features that says I Am A ZR-1!
It was one of the knocks on the C4 ZR1 that it looked too much like a standard vette. Can any of us actually say that looks isn’t at least a part of the reason we love Corvette.?
What I don’t understand is the guys who don’t like the big wing feel obligated to call it derogatory names and imply that anyone who doesn’t share there opinions must be a “boy ricer” or other things that have been said here. It is offensive. Those of us that like the big wing don’t call the “little wing” guys names for liking the whimpy emasculated wing
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 12:20 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronstar
Guy pulls into cars and coffee with a ZO6. Stage 3 splitter,side skirts,and spoiler..with wickerbill. All exposed carbon fiber. Pulls up next to ZR-1 with a big wing and calls the other guy ricer or poser.
Or the guy who buys a 755 hp most powerful corvette of all time with carbon fiber everywhere,huge hood bulge giant front splitter but says the wing is “too much”
I have seen the car in person and it is bad *** wing and all. I can’t afford a new one right now but if I was getting one I want the wing. Weather you track the car or not it is one of the design features that says I Am A ZR-1!
It was one of the knocks on the C4 ZR1 that it looked too much like a standard vette. Can any of us actually say that looks isn’t at least a part of the reason we love Corvette.?
What I don’t understand is the guys who don’t like the big wing feel obligated to call it derogatory names and imply that anyone who doesn’t share there opinions must be a “boy ricer” or other things that have been said here. It is offensive. Those of us that like the big wing don’t call the “little wing” guys names for liking the whimpy emasculated wing
The guys that complain about the wing don't own a 17 ACR Extreme with the big wing or they wouldn't complain.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:46 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

I have seen the coupe and convertible in person, both wings on each, my coupe and convertible were ordered with the low wing, but then again I am old, and only drive on the street
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I love the car, big wing on a vert is pointless, the wheels still look terrible, IMO.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:26 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

A convertible with a wing is absolutely pointless so I call "ricer" on it. At least you can track a coupe so the wing may have a purpose.

To me the ZR1 is a product without a purpose. If you want a track car get a real one. Some kind of purpose built race car. A GTA, a Spec Miata, a vintage NASCAR stocker, a Group 3 or 4 car, but for real track work a street car simply isn't suitable. For track work you need an Electrical cut off, a halon system, a real cage, a purpose built race seat, a Nomex suit, gloves and shoes. I see HPDE videos of folks running the Roval at Auto Club Speedway and taking turns 1 and 2 at 125 mph. I certainly concur with them that without appropriate safety equipment I would also, but for real on track driving why leave 25-35 mph on the table due to lack of safety equipment with a car that can reach the higher speeds??
Old 01-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

lol at that wing. Pepboys called they want it back
Old 01-30-2018, 05:05 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Birddog51
Beautiful car but that wing looks like crap!
Old 01-30-2018, 05:25 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

i sure hope GM has given designers free reign for the C8....something
more Lambo Ferrari like...a dramatic break like the 1962 to the 1963
Old 01-30-2018, 06:15 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 1,742 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by pkincy
Just my opinion but the addition of the new coolers and the hood bulge on the front of the car makes it look like it has the mumps and the Wing is totally ridiculous on a Vert. This car is WGG with pearl nickel wheels and should be beautiful but it is not. It is fugly.
Well most think that huge bulge hood, new coolers and that bad azz wing are Beautiful. However a ZR vert errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:leavi ng:
Old 01-30-2018, 06:26 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 1,742 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

For all you with the negative comments, how many have seen the car and options in person????????????

The ZR next to the C7R looked amazing. LOVED the Wing And plan to order one
Old 01-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

The wing shouldn't be an available option on the convertible. The gills on the fenders don't do anything for me either. Not even sure about the hood. The only thing I do like is the front end.

I'd actually rather ship my car off to Callaway than swap for a ZR1.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:22 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

the illustration of this design was much more attractive than what it has actually become imo.

I think the designer vs engineer aspect messed with the final style of the new grille/fascia to the point that it doesn't mend well with the original C7 design theme.

I look at pics of my stage III Z06 front side and rear and think it's still more attractive than the final ZR.

However, i look at the renditions of the ZR before it was revealed and i LOVED the look.. something in the final design went haywire and the nose now looks cartoonish.. the wing, to me, looked incredible (a but much for the street but that's the look now) but not on this nose... it's just chopped up and funny looking. just my opinion.

If the final product looked like the yellow car and driver drawing? i'd be in Love.. i'm indifferent to this now.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:51 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
the illustration of this design was much more attractive than what it has actually become imo.

I think the designer vs engineer aspect messed with the final style of the new grille/fascia to the point that it doesn't mend well with the original C7 design theme.

I look at pics of my stage III Z06 front side and rear and think it's still more attractive than the final ZR.

However, i look at the renditions of the ZR before it was revealed and i LOVED the look.. something in the final design went haywire and the nose now looks cartoonish.. the wing, to me, looked incredible (a but much for the street but that's the look now) but not on this nose... it's just chopped up and funny looking. just my opinion.

If the final product looked like the yellow car and driver drawing? i'd be in Love.. i'm indifferent to this now.
I felt the same way when I saw the 2015 Z06. But not so much anymore.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:02 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,348 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Sooo many "Negative Nelly's" here. Come on guys, enough whining and complaining. Just be happy that GM built this car! It's a fantastic Corvette! You don't have to buy it but you should be excited about it. If I was in a position to I would have one ordered.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I like chocolate ice cream and if you like vanilla you're stupid.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I like chocolate ice cream and if you like vanilla you're stupid.
What if I like strawberry?

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible with the big wing - in the plant parking lot

Old 01-31-2018, 11:34 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
What if I like strawberry?
Then Tadge lied.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:21 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

It's kind of curious that the convertible has the big wing, but only has the small front splitter end plates.

The ZTK RPO is a "package". From the order guide:

ZTK Track Performance Package, includes (FEB) Performance Ride and Handling Suspension, (XFM) front P285/30ZR19 and rear P335/25ZR20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup 2 summer-only, run-flat tires, adjustable high-wing spoiler and specific front splitter end caps
I assume that whether you get a coupe or convertible, if you get the ZTK package you'll get all the same components of that package.

Here's that convertible in the plant parking lot:

And here's a ZR1 at one of the car shows:

Maybe those ZTK "specific front splitter end caps" are easy enough to remove so that whoever is getting to drive this pre-production ZR1 removed them.

Also, they must have swapped the tires. Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are part of the ZTK package, and those are obviously not Sport Cups!!

Bottom line - it's sort of strange that they are testing a car in a configuration that is not stock. I understand the tires so that they can drive it in cold temps during street testing, but I don't know why the rest of the package would not be stock.

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-31-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BEZ06
It's kind of curious that the convertible has the big wing, but only has the small front splitter end plates.

The ZTK RPO is a "package". From the order guide:

I assume that whether you get a coupe or convertible, if you get the ZTK package you'll get all the same components of that package.

Here's that convertible in the plant parking lot:

And here's a ZR1 at one of the car shows:

Maybe those ZTK "specific front splitter end caps" are easy enough to remove so that whoever is getting to drive this pre-production ZR1 removed them.

Also, they must have swapped the tires. Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are part of the ZTK package, and those are obviously not Sport Cups!!

Bottom line - it's sort of strange that they are testing a car in a configuration that is not stock. I understand the tires so that they can drive it in cold temps during street testing, but I don't know why the rest of the package would not be stock.

I am guessing the front splitter end pieces are a similar setup as what comes with the Z07's - I got two sets, short and long.

Quick Reply: Convertible with the big wing - in the plant parking lot