Tried to buy a ZR1 - Page 6 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Tried to buy a ZR1

Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #101
Mrc100
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by direct007 View Post
couple of points to know...

If you credit score is stellar, dealerships enter your info in the lenders computer system and there is such a thing called "auto approval" The computer decisions the loan and you can walk out without showing any docs other than your drivers license and proof of insurance. This is true up to the magic number of $100k. Once you are over $100k for a car loan...the process isn't that simple. The banks will want proof of income and know that the borrower is rock solid financially.

The dealership is also concerned as any defaults can leave a black mark with the relationship they have with the banks that do the financing.

Kerbeck has offered one of the lowest finance rates available to Corvette buyers...This is in part due to the historically low default rate of their customers with the bank(s) that offer this rate.

Kerbeck doesn't want to put someone into a $145,000 car that is taking their life savings just to make a relatively small deposit. It's a disservice to the borrower and a higher risk to their lenders. They also don't want to saddle their buyer with a high interest lending source that is willing to take the risk.

Sure, there is a lender out there that will most likely do the loan with little money down at a substantially higher interest rate, but does that make sense for the buyer?
Exactly correct. Remember the housing bubble and the subprime loans. Who got blamed for those? Not the borrower that obviously over extended themselves, no they were the victims of “predatory lending tactics”. The banks are the villains. Since 2008 borrowers have become more comfortable with upside down car loans.
I am not suggesting the OP is over extending just suggesting the way the lenders view such a transaction. IMO

https://qz.com/913093/car-loans-in-t...sing-fast-too/

Last edited by Mrc100; 02-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Mrc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #102
Stingcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983JZR3W View Post
My credit score is 815 out of 850 and I would not even consider financing a car as expensive as a ZR1. If you can't write the full check, you may be trying to play in the wrong league.
I completely disagree - with the cheap money available for so long now, it has been a while since I put any money down on a car. You make more by putting that money elsewhere than tied into a car.
Stingcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #103
blueDelusions
CF Member

The people in the thread saying if you can't pay cash you're out of your league know their statement is objectively BS. They say it as a "look at me". It's just a backhanded compliment to themselves.

Last edited by blueDelusions; 02-12-2018 at 06:07 PM.
blueDelusions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueDelusions For This Useful Post:
dhpeck (02-14-2018), WKM (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #104
danm1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueDelusions View Post
The people in the thread saying if you can't pay cash you're out of your league know their statement is objectively BS. They say it as a "look at me". It's just a backhanded compliment to themselves.
My thoughts exactly!
danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #105
chatcher
Thick Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Disagree. While financing a car is ness some times in life, we aren't talking about daily drivers here. These are toys (very expensive but toys none the less) and I think toys should be bought with cash. This includes boats, sports cars and motorcycles. While I pay cash for all my vehicles, I would finance a new sedan, sport ute or truck if something happened and I needed to. I would not finance a 150k weekend toy car JMHO and if your buying a new ZR1 as a daily driver I think there are some issues there as well. Good luck either way OP

Last edited by chatcher; 02-12-2018 at 11:07 PM.
chatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #106
blueDelusions
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
Disagree. While financing a car is ness some times in life, we aren't talking about daily drivers here. These are toys (very expensive but toys none the less) and I think toys should be bought with cash. This includes boats, sports cars and motorcycles. While I pay cash for all my vehicles, I would finance a new sedan, sport ute or truck if something happened and I needed to. I would not finance a 150k weekend toy car JMHO and if your buying a new ZR1 as a daily driver I think there are some issues there as well. Good luck either way OP
I think you're missing my point. Here's the two different responses to the OP.

"That's a bummer dude. On the bright side you won't be stuck with a 2K a month payment. Maybe save for another year or so can lower the payment to something more reasonable, or even wait for used and try to buy it outright."

"I'VE BOUGHT MY LAST 10 CARS IN CASH AND HAVE A ZR1 ON ORDER RIGHT NOW THAT I'M GOING TO PAY CASH FOR. IF YOU CAN'T DO THE SAME YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE THE CAR!"

The advice to buy something in cash isn't "bad" advice, it's not realistic for everyone, and if everyone had that philosophy the economy would grind to a halt.

The difference in the above statements is who the posts are for. The first one is to genuinely offer some advice to the OP. The second is showboating and "look at me"..and everyone hates "that guy".

I used to roadrace motorcycles...that community is full of a lot of the same types of egotistical insecure people.
blueDelusions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueDelusions For This Useful Post:
dhpeck (02-14-2018), WKM (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #107
Always Red Dave
CF Senior Member

Quote:
A lot of them probably borrowed cash from their HOME EQUITY line of credit!
Always Red Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #108
chatcher
Thick Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
I think you're missing my point. Here's the two different responses to the OP.

"That's a bummer dude. On the bright side you won't be stuck with a 2K a month payment. Maybe save for another year or so can lower the payment to something more reasonable, or even wait for used and try to buy it outright."

"I'VE BOUGHT MY LAST 10 CARS IN CASH AND HAVE A ZR1 ON ORDER RIGHT NOW THAT I'M GOING TO PAY CASH FOR. IF YOU CAN'T DO THE SAME YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE THE CAR!"

The advice to buy something in cash isn't "bad" advice, it's not realistic for everyone, and if everyone had that philosophy the economy would grind to a halt.

The difference in the above statements is who the posts are for. The first one is to genuinely offer some advice to the OP. The second is showboating and "look at me"..and everyone hates "that guy".

I used to roadrace motorcycles...that community is full of a lot of the same types of egotistical insecure people.
I see your point but the advice is still good even if the delivery is bad. The cars we are talking about serve no purpose other than consuming tires and wasting money. They are best left in the hands of those who have tons of disposable income. If you can, only finance things you need eventually you'll be able to buy the things you want. I get that its hard to wait but it's way easier if you do.
chatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chatcher For This Useful Post:
jetpowr (02-16-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #109
Racingswh
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
I get that its hard to wait but it's way easier if you do.
I would guess that some that will buy a ZR1 don't have the income to support a cash purchase the financial "size" of a ZR1 and also live their lives as they have become accustomed to.

Then there are those that have moderate levels of income but plenty of cash to purchase a ZR1 but will not do so simply because they do not feel it's prudent.

I have great friends in both camps and applaud them for making the choices they do that fit well with the way they have chosen to live their lives.

Most of my friends in the first camp are self employed, work hard for what they have and reward themselves once in awhile for that work. Many in the second camp are typically employee's for larger organizations, work equally as hard, and more often than not are risk averse.

I can't say I feel either way is "wrong". Both seem extremely happy with their decisions and simply have different priorities or are in different stages of their lives.

As I grow older and near 50 I find myself paying cash more often simply because my other needs have been met and my income is greater than it was when I was first starting out. Not saying that's good or bad. Just an observation.

I can say though for the cars I have borrowed to purchase over the years I wouldn't do it any differently if I had to do it over. Cars have always been a part of my life and the experiences and memories that I have for me are priceless and simply can't be measured monetarily.

In two years, as that's when I expect to take a very hard look at purchasing a ZR1, I will just do whatever makes the most sense for me at the time. I won't feel one way or another about it whether I pay cash for it or finance it for some reason. I will just truly enjoy the car and all of the amazing experiences that will go along with it.
Racingswh is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racingswh For This Useful Post:
HTXSkydiver (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #110
HTXSkydiver
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post
I would guess that some that will buy a ZR1 don't have the income to support a cash purchase the financial "size" of a ZR1 and also live their lives as they have become accustomed to.

Then there are those that have moderate levels of income but plenty of cash to purchase a ZR1 but will not do so simply because they do not feel it's prudent.

I have great friends in both camps and applaud them for making the choices they do that fit well with the way they have chosen to live their lives.

Most of my friends in the first camp are self employed, work hard for what they have and reward themselves once in awhile for that work. Many in the second camp are typically employee's for larger organizations, work equally as hard, and more often than not are risk averse.

I can't say I feel either way is "wrong". Both seem extremely happy with their decisions and simply have different priorities or are in different stages of their lives.

As I grow older and near 50 I find myself paying cash more often simply because my other needs have been met and my income is greater than it was when I was first starting out. Not saying that's good or bad. Just an observation.

I can say though for the cars I have borrowed to purchase over the years I wouldn't do it any differently if I had to do it over. Cars have always been a part of my life and the experiences and memories that I have for me are priceless and simply can't be measured monetarily.

In two years, as that's when I expect to take a very hard look at purchasing a ZR1, I will just do whatever makes the most sense for me at the time. I won't feel one way or another about it whether I pay cash for it or finance it for some reason. I will just truly enjoy the car and all of the amazing experiences that will go along with it.
HTXSkydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Tried to buy a ZR1
  •