Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 un-tunable?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lt1z View Post
Email me to discuss
Why not just post it? Are you trying to live out wishful fantasies about being an under-cover secret agent or something?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:50 PM
ss2z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
Why not just post it? Are you trying to live out wishful fantasies about being an under-cover secret agent or something?
I'm pretty sure its because he wants to know my goals in the end with the car so the suggestions will vary.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:48 AM
lt1z
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
Nope. Just donít have time to deal with it on a forum. Email is easier and I really only need to discuss it with the carís owner.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:35 AM
spinkick
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance View Post
I'm sure you saw my reply. However, I would surely expect I know a lot more about encryption than you do because I've actually written encryption code.
Of course GM can do what it wants with its own encryption.

Are you are suggesting that whatever way they do it will become public knowledge?

Last edited by spinkick; 02-05-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:36 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
Of course GM can do what it wants with its own encryption.

Are you are suggesting that whatever way they do it will become public knowledge?
I think I've been really clear in everything I've said so at this point it's useless to try and explain further. I feel like I'm trying to ex[plain something obvious to a drunk in a bar
Old 02-05-2019, 04:50 PM
Sniper_97

Default ECM Change?

I'm not an expert on tuning so don't go to town on me. I'm assuming most of us who own a C7 ZR1 would love to modify and tune it for their own reasons.

Is it possible to either ask GM/Chevrolet for the code to the ECM in your own ZR1 or, purchase a new ECM that allows you into the ECM in exchange for voiding the warranty?

To me it sounds like an easy question; perhaps it's just wishful thinking.

FYI, I did not see this question posited in this thread/forum, if it was, my apologies for not paying attention to detail.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:11 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

I've actually heard that the ECU will, via wifi, reflash itself to stock. Supposedly it compares to see if anything is different from the current version from GM every night/week/whatever and flashes to that if it's not identical. Any truth to this?
Old 02-05-2019, 08:33 PM
BearZ06
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Hope it doesn't clear my radio presets, lol.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Higgs Boson
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by village idiot View Post
I've actually heard that the ECU will, via wifi, reflash itself to stock. Supposedly it compares to see if anything is different from the current version from GM every night/week/whatever and flashes to that if it's not identical. Any truth to this?
I highly doubt that. It's too risky, fluctuation in voltage or an owner coming out to get something out of the car or even start and drive somewhere could brick the ECM, how can GM know what random thing a human is going to do?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:32 PM
spinkick
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance View Post
I think I've been really clear in everything I've said so at this point it's useless to try and explain further. I feel like I'm trying to ex[plain something obvious to a drunk in a bar
Type to me slower, I'll try to hang on

Last edited by spinkick; 02-06-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:10 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
CF Senior Member

Yes indeed.

We had this happening last night here in Finland with an export delivery ZR1. Might have something to do with russian hackers.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM
spinkick
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles View Post
Yes indeed.

We had this happening last night here in Finland with an export delivery ZR1. Might have something to do with russian hackers.
Maybe when updates come down? It seems unlikely, like Higgs said, you can really screw up stuff if the transfer isn't right. Bios updates, firmware updates and the like would be sketchy to run all of the time. Imagine a mobile phone doing that every day and the support issues that would raise. The liability would be crazy too. Some guy mods his car, they flash back the firmware over the net, and the guy grenades his engine?

But, changing security keys over the air and encryption methods? Game on... Not only are you changing the locks but the type of vault.

I'm a little drunk right now, hopefully this made sense.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:02 PM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

the new duramax uses this same ecu[or a variation of that number] and one of the tuners says they cracked it in the last couple months

and all these people that think they need more power,just turn off all the nannies,and try it that way,[99% of zr1/zo6/07 drivers couldn't keep the cars on the road]

ive been in a few real race cars and ultra exotic cars driven by the best pro drivers ,and they are a handful to drive

Last edited by dmaxx3500; 02-06-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:56 PM
JHEBERT
CF Senior Member

Yes, itís true. And itís not as simple as removing a SIM card from a module, itís all baked into the ECU now. Not only can it be updated OTA, but the encryption can be changed as well. The good news is that for a ridiculous fee, the processor can be replaced in the ECU and programmed to keep GM out permanently. Sorta like re-keying GM Ďs lock and not giving them the keys. The bad news is that this is thousands, not hundreds of dollars we are talking about here.

John
Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 PM
BooSSted
CF Senior Member

Yea they cracked the diesel boys a while ago... Problem if you want to call it that. Is with all the R&D to finally crack the code on these cars.... You're gonna pay some hefty unlocking fees/cost/credits. Compared to "normal" or what you may have in the past.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 PM
16/C7Z
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,160 Times in 899 Posts

Supposedly THE hacker of hackers for these aftermarket companies is holding out for a million bucks to do it. Says he can but not for less.

Not enough ZR1s to offset the cost as of now.

But the new pickups use same ecu and I'm sure other gm vehicles are and will so maybe at some point one of the companies will pony up?

Last edited by 16/C7Z; 02-12-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:18 PM
Bigjsn250
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 View Post
the new duramax uses this same ecu[or a variation of that number] and one of the tuners says they cracked it in the last couple months

and all these people that think they need more power,just turn off all the nannies,and try it that way,[99% of zr1/zo6/07 drivers couldn't keep the cars on the road]

ive been in a few real race cars and ultra exotic cars driven by the best pro drivers ,and they are a handful to drive
I totally agree there is enough power to get just about anyone in trouble (especially with all nannies off), but I would guess 80% never take their car to the track. Most take traction control off and leave AH on (like you should unless you are Randy Pobst). Most will want more power eventually, and most will not wreck their cars. If/when they figure out this tuning thing I will have a grey C7ZR1 sitting right next to my CG 800whp C6ZR1 and it will never see a road course, but it will see 200+ mph

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1 un-tunable?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: