C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 rear wing Hi/Low Interchangeable ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:03 PM
pibohmark
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ZR1 rear wing Hi/Low Interchangeable ???

I have a ZR1 ordered with all performance packages that will come from the factory with a high rear wing. I will be using the car on numerous racetracks across the USA and for the most part, the high wing will be preferred. I reached out to my dealer to ask if the low wing is available to be purchased as some tracks that I will be running at such as Daytona the low wing would be preferred. I have posted his response below but I would like the members feedback on the interchangeability of the two, and if there could or would be any adverse handling issues to be expected from the heavier suspension components used in the high wing set up no longer having that downforce upon them when the low wing would be in place. Dealer Response Below

So far what I have found on the spoiler is some basic information that may help.
The low spoiler is available as a replacement part and looks like it may be mounted the same way as the high spoiler but I am verifying how the mounting is accessed because typically the bumper needs to be removed to get to the mounts so it may not be an easy swap.
The standard setup has 20% less drag and only puts high-pressure downforce creation at the leading edge of the rear spoiler, the high wing puts high to mid-pressure downforce creation over a majority of its surface and has 5 degrees of adjustability.

As far as racing differences with the spoiler, I have not been able to get in contact with anybody that can give me a good answer.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

I’m pretty sure they are interchangeable. You will need the shorter attachments stands with the smaller wing. I don’t see any reason to remove the rear bumper cover. Also, might want to consider remove the front end plates to better balance the car.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:37 PM
ALF01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

OK...I've posted this elsewhere, and do NOT want it to be a definitive answer, but I wanted to share what I know.

The wings are physically interchangeable....they attach to the same points on the rear decklid. And while I personally believe that *ALL* ZR1s have the internal bracing connecting the wing to the frame, due to manufacturing efficiencies and possible lawsuits if one attached a high wing to a "low wing car" (which didn't have the bracing) and the car was subsequently damaged....others believe only the high wing cars have the bracing. In your case, you ordered a high wing, so it's a "don't care"...

Here's where it gets interesting....a good friend who had a press pass to the Detroit Auto show in January got about two minutes to chat directly with Tadge about wing interchangeability. And I found what Tadge told him somewhat surprising....Tadge indicated that the front "underwing" is also different between a high wing and a low wing car, and should also be swapped out when changing the rear wing, or the car would "become unbalanced"...
Now that cars are ending up in customer hands, we can verify the accuracy of the statement, but my friend is an accomplished track person with a significant car collection, and knows what he was told in no uncertain terms...
The following 2 users liked this post by ALF01:
JHEBERT (07-15-2018), Scarpia (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:00 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I was curious about how it mounts under the bumper, so I looked it up. There was option to select between wing types or RPOs (ZTK or no ZTK). So I'd assume this bracket is the same for both packages.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Ron Wayne
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pibohmark
I have a ZR1 ordered with all performance packages that will come from the factory with a high rear wing. I will be using the car on numerous racetracks across the USA and for the most part, the high wing will be preferred. I reached out to my dealer to ask if the low wing is available to be purchased as some tracks that I will be running at such as Daytona the low wing would be preferred. I have posted his response below but I would like the members feedback on the interchangeability of the two, and if there could or would be any adverse handling issues to be expected from the heavier suspension components used in the high wing set up no longer having that downforce upon them when the low wing would be in place. Dealer Response Below

So far what I have found on the spoiler is some basic information that may help.
The low spoiler is available as a replacement part and looks like it may be mounted the same way as the high spoiler but I am verifying how the mounting is accessed because typically the bumper needs to be removed to get to the mounts so it may not be an easy swap.
The standard setup has 20% less drag and only puts high-pressure downforce creation at the leading edge of the rear spoiler, the high wing puts high to mid-pressure downforce creation over a majority of its surface and has 5 degrees of adjustability.

As far as racing differences with the spoiler, I have not been able to get in contact with anybody that can give me a good answer.
I would think Shane at museum might know he installs these items for museum delivery ask one of his tech guys
Old 04-02-2018, 06:58 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,435 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I was curious about how it mounts under the bumper, so I looked it up. There was option to select between wing types or RPOs (ZTK or no ZTK). So I'd assume this bracket is the same for both packages.

A few pics below of how the wings are anchored to the mounts- courtesy of MacMulkin

OP, the wings are interchangeable.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Originally Posted by ALF01
OK...I've posted this elsewhere, and do NOT want it to be a definitive answer, but I wanted to share what I know.

The wings are physically interchangeable....they attach to the same points on the rear decklid. And while I personally believe that *ALL* ZR1s have the internal bracing connecting the wing to the frame, due to manufacturing efficiencies and possible lawsuits if one attached a high wing to a "low wing car" (which didn't have the bracing) and the car was subsequently damaged....others believe only the high wing cars have the bracing. In your case, you ordered a high wing, so it's a "don't care"...

Here's where it gets interesting....a good friend who had a press pass to the Detroit Auto show in January got about two minutes to chat directly with Tadge about wing interchangeability. And I found what Tadge told him somewhat surprising....Tadge indicated that the front "underwing" is also different between a high wing and a low wing car, and should also be swapped out when changing the rear wing, or the car would "become unbalanced"...
Now that cars are ending up in customer hands, we can verify the accuracy of the statement, but my friend is an accomplished track person with a significant car collection, and knows what he was told in no uncertain terms...
The front wing has different endplates depending on the rear wing or if it's on a convertiable car.

Small wing = No end plates.
Convertible = No end plates(because the roof interferes with the efficiency of the rear large wing).
large wing coupes = end plates
Old 04-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff V.

Great info.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:54 PM
stives63
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a simple hollow center star point style 'wrench' to remove the stanchion. How many Corollas and Lancers will be seen with "discount" high vette wings in the near future?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

One of the YouTube videos said it was a 5 lobe security screw rather than the typical 6 lobe security Torx. Not like you can't buy one, but they're not exactly common right now.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
pibohmark
Advanced

That's good to know they are interchangeable. I guess in theory that if the rear wing is creating that much downforce, the front spoiler would be there to create downforce so the nose does not become light and want to push in the longer faster corners. If you switched to the smaller wing for the speed it would seem not removing the front aero would just make the front wheels bite harder? Anyone's thoughts?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Scarpia
Heel & Toe

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good to know they are interchangeable. I guess in theory that if the rear wing is creating that much downforce, the front spoiler would be there to create downforce so the nose does not become light and want to push in the longer faster corners. If you switched to the smaller wing for the speed it would seem not removing the front aero would just make the front wheels bite harder? Anyone's thoughts?

I'm the guy that ALF01 referenced as having had briefly chatted with Tadge about this at DIAS. You have the right idea, but perhaps from too positive a perspective. Tadge expressed concern that the car would oversteer (presumably, significantly); at the high speeds that we are talking about here, the results could result in a world of hurt (or worse).

The very clear message that I received was to have one aero package or the other in place, not to try and mix them.

A final point, the standard front underpan (for use with low wing) may not have the same mounting structure as that used for the inverted airfoil used with the high wing. This is conjecture on my part; I hope that this is not correct, as it will make swapping much easier if they are the same.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

I once tried running my C7 Z06 with stage 3 front and stage 1 rear aero. Let's just say that T10 at summit point which is a ~90 MPH apex corner was super sketchy.
The following users liked this post:
Plstxmd (04-30-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:52 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarpia
I'm the guy that ALF01 referenced as having had briefly chatted with Tadge about this at DIAS. You have the right idea, but perhaps from too positive a perspective. Tadge expressed concern that the car would oversteer (presumably, significantly); at the high speeds that we are talking about here, the results could result in a world of hurt (or worse).

The very clear message that I received was to have one aero package or the other in place, not to try and mix them.

A final point, the standard front underpan (for use with low wing) may not have the same mounting structure as that used for the inverted airfoil used with the high wing. This is conjecture on my part; I hope that this is not correct, as it will make swapping much easier if they are the same.
that makes sense but I think what most buyers are hoping or wanting to do, is option the ZTK then purchase the low wing and install it for street use, then quick swap for track days.
The following users liked this post:
pibohmark (04-05-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:58 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

So what do you guys think, would it be safe to take the big wing off for day to day stuff, like groceries, quick acceleration runs and maybe some light canyon stuff? Or do you think it would upset the car too much? Obviously reinstall wing for track days. I just love the look without the wing out back not too mention it it’ll be a lot easier getting in and out of the trunk!!
Old 04-10-2018, 06:57 PM
pibohmark
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
So what do you guys think, would it be safe to take the big wing off for day to day stuff, like groceries, quick acceleration runs and maybe some light canyon stuff? Or do you think it would upset the car too much? Obviously reinstall wing for track days. I just love the look without the wing out back not too mention it it’ll be a lot easier getting in and out of the trunk!!
I have not found any engineer or friends who work on or manage race teams that have expressed that they would have any concerns with normal operations switching to a low wing. We do not have enough info to determine track performance. I will be trying mine and will report back.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,775 Likes on 3,184 Posts

maybe this is why GM gave that driver such a hard time when he pulled the high wing off to run that mile run? gained 8 or 9mph by removing it iirc?

Also, just noticed what poor-sha said regarding his experience using stage III front & stage I rear for a Z06. from what i've read, the low ZR wing has 70% more downforce than a stage II Z06 spoiler. and the downforce created by stage II Z06 rear is something like 250lbs (stage III is around 500lbs). so the low wing is around 425lbs.

so if you had a ZTK package ZR and put the low wing out back, running high speed would, you notice an instability having all that extra front downforce and not as much out back? and imagine removing the rear wing all together and leaving the front? 425lbs downforce removed from the rear? and at what speed would it be dangerous? 120 140? or higher?

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 rear wing Hi/Low Interchangeable ???

Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 PM
MATTBEAVER
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 99 Posts

EMAIL CONVERSATION WITH PEOPLE IN THE KNOW:

Engineering is holding firm that we do not recommend adding the larger rear wing on a “base” ZR1. Specific tires, chassis tuning and stability control systems are developed in conjunction with the large wing thus they are not willing to support a change to the original design intent.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:23 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t believe it... the high wing has variable pitch. I bet the high wing minimum angle of attack is very similar to the low wings performance. You will need to be driving ***** out to measure the difference.

In the real world you have cross winds, gusty conditions, pressure from 18 wheelers, and traffic in front and behind you that all disturb the air around your car. The big and small wing are all living in that turbulent world. On a track with tires at temp and a proper alignment the GM engineer can measure the difference but for 99% of us put on whatever wing you want.

Last edited by CitationZ06@yahoo; 04-10-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:28 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

I have not found any engineer or friends who work on or manage race teams that have expressed that they would have any concerns with normal operations switching to a low wing. We do not have enough info to determine track performance. I will be trying mine and will report back.
thats been my feeling as well. I was planning on ordering the ZTK package and remove wing and wheels for normal operation the install and have track prep done for track days/weekends. I definitely look forward to your analysis.

Quick Reply: ZR1 rear wing Hi/Low Interchangeable ???