C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Will 2019 ZR1 beat the 2019 NA GT3 RS at the 'Ring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I only run about 525 rwhp in my C6, now I do also have 4.11s. BUT, I also have up to temp 345 width R888rs.

Where am I going with this? I have to be very gentle on the throttle exiting turns where I'm using a large amount of my traction circle for turning. I can imagine that you could apply heavy throttle much sooner in a rear engine 911. That's all. Over the course of the Nurburgring, that should result in some faster times.
Hey! we must have had a similar set up...E-Force by any chance...!?

I appreciate the explanation and yes, with my (amateur) experience at the Nurb. I can definitively corroborate a modded C6 without PTM and eDiff it's tricky...and yet I can assure you that comparatively (that is in a race or time lap) whatever fractional-second advantage my GT3 competitor may have had on WOT commence it was of no consequence/advantage on more than 50%-70% of Nurb. curves because we are both at launched speed and that torque delta shows in spades at each exit+mid. and for all the fractional/residual spinning I am doing I was still taking off on the GT3s...no question.
So now let's think 2019 ZR1 PTM..some folks say oh! too much power and torque... and I say maybe but better than 300-320 RWTQ!?..you bet! I know it is hard to imagine..and we are talking curves but picture yourself doing repeated 1/4 miles runs starting at apex from let's say 60-100 and he starts a 1/10 - 1/25 quarter of a second before you do.. now repeat at least 50 times.. 660/640 vs 460/330....

I wish Poor-sha could pitch in with some telemetry...
Old 04-23-2018, 05:31 PM
jswatek
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 119 Posts

I just saw a new GT3 RS for sale at Melbourne Porsche for $229,999.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Bottom Line! ;)

If the ZR1 doesn't post a time it means miraculously it was dispatched by the little GT3 RS!
The ZR1's time was stolen, and we would never know!

Math and Experts too!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-23-2018 at 07:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rodbuster56 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:12 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
If the ZR1 doesn't post a time it means miraculously it was dispatched by the little GT3 RS!
The ZR1's time was stolen, and we would never know!

Math and Experts too!
OR the ZR1 itself was stolen!
More plausible...
Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

I believe GM has left the track and we may never see a time if it wasn't what they hoped for. We may get a time for the C8 before that
Old 04-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
I believe GM has left the track and we may never see a time if it wasn't what they hoped for. We may get a time for the C8 before that

So that's it then? Man, I hope we don't have to play the waiting game like last time before it became readily apparent that no time was going to be announced.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

This argument is pretty pointless considering:

- Most likely none of us will ever get a gt3rs unless its in lego
- Even with 50-75k markup people are having very tough time getting an allocation. Porsche has this “is he/she a gt family member” nonsense which means unless you currently own a GT car and want to trade it, even with a 250-300k price tag, this car is a dream
- Above points dont even mention the 28k limited run extremely hard to order WS package that you cant just order like you do a ZTK package.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:01 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
This argument is pretty pointless considering:

- Most likely none of us will ever get a gt3rs unless its in lego
- Even with 50-75k markup people are having very tough time getting an allocation. Porsche has this “is he/she a gt family member” nonsense which means unless you currently own a GT car and want to trade it, even with a 250-300k price tag, this car is a dream
- Above points dont even mention the 28k limited run extremely hard to order WS package that you cant just order like you do a ZTK package.

I'd like to offer a counterargument:

- you would be surprised at the amount of folks lurching in the CF that can afford a GT3RS but opt not to bite.
- anybody can buy a GT3RS at the right price. RS cars are extremely low volume "marketing" cars and the price pump is due to Porsche's realization these cars were mostly bought by "car flippers" in the first place and they are trying to cut the middle man...
- 28K limited run??? on a good year GT2RS sells 20/40 cars and GT3RS 100 cars... again think "marketing" cars...

So yes harder to obtain but I think OP's question is still legit...it is a competitor after all...

My2C

Last edited by Telepierre; 04-24-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:25 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Just read this on Bridge to Gantry's Dale Lomas Twitter feed.

More
Hey #corvettezr1 lovers... the white laptime car just had 1 lap of the #Nürburgring to itself for a fast lap. Hopefully this one will be faster than Monday? Conditions are quite warm!
Old 04-25-2018, 07:51 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Local comparison times will tell you more than that ring time. Lightning lap and laguna laps with same driver same day comparisons. As much as I like and respect Mero, he can't drive like Estre drove that RS. That was nuts. Never seen commitment like that at the ring except maybe when Nissan had several cars there with different drivers in qualifying format.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:06 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default That's what Gavin was for! ;)

But the ZR1 is a bit heavy for those kinds of gymnastics on the Nurburgring.
Our tracks are faster because the cups are better with our asphalt and curbs.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-25-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by skank

More
Hey #corvettezr1 lovers... the white laptime car just had 1 lap of the #Nürburgring to itself for a fast lap. Hopefully this one will be faster than Monday? Conditions are quite warm!
Thanks. This actually makes sense because track record attempts have to be done with single manufacturer reserved slots with nobody else in it. That is why ZR1 Monday times with the pictures on both GT3 and ZR1 on the track at the same time were bogus..

That 7:12 was done to not upset the locals and give all the German stop-watchers some hope..
keagan (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
I'd like to offer a counterargument:

- you would be surprised at the amount of folks lurching in the CF that can afford a GT3RS but opt not to bite.
- anybody can buy a GT3RS at the right price. RS cars are extremely low volume "marketing" cars and the price pump is due to Porsche's realization these cars were mostly bought by "car flippers" in the first place and they are trying to cut the middle man...
- 28K limited run??? on a good year GT2RS sells 20/40 cars and GT3RS 100 cars... again think "marketing" cars...

So yes harder to obtain but I think OP's question is still legit...it is a competitor after all...

My2C
Full respect for Porsche for creating so much aura around their RS cars. They could cut out the middle man easily, just produce as many cars as the public wants to buy at MSRP. Anyone can order one just as they want at MSRP.

The dealership might not make more money selling more volume, but the factory could sell way more units at the same cost to the dealers and ultimately improve their economies of scale.

In time I'll have the wealth to comfortably purchase a car like that, but wouldn't.

I don't like the pricing structure for one but once a car becomes too expensive to track and too expensive to run my errands in, it's just not what I'm looking for anymore. I mean your friends are going to the 1/4 mile track or the COTA is having an open track day and it sounds fun to do a run or two. But something happens and your out a 1/4 million dollars as insurance doesn't cover track usage at all. I know a guy that lost a $100K Camaro like that. Or you want to take your car to work one day and the wife needs you to stop and buy a gallon of milk and your scared to leave the car outside.

Back to Vettes, that's the area I live in!
Telepierre (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:43 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Skank! Good thing your not here and French! ;)

Originally Posted by skank

More
Brainy!
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Full respect for Porsche for creating so much aura around their RS cars. They could cut out the middle man easily, just produce as many cars as the public wants to buy at MSRP. Anyone can order one just as they want at MSRP.

The dealership might not make more money selling more volume, but the factory could sell way more units at the same cost to the dealers and ultimately improve their economies of scale.

In time I'll have the wealth to comfortably purchase a car like that, but wouldn't.

I don't like the pricing structure for one but once a car becomes too expensive to track and too expensive to run my errands in, it's just not what I'm looking for anymore. I mean your friends are going to the 1/4 mile track or the COTA is having an open track day and it sounds fun to do a run or two. But something happens and your out a 1/4 million dollars as insurance doesn't cover track usage at all. I know a guy that lost a $100K Camaro like that. Or you want to take your car to work one day and the wife needs you to stop and buy a gallon of milk and your scared to leave the car outside.

Back to Vettes, that's the area I live in!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-25-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:20 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

According to this article GM volunteered their track time to help Porsche https://www.carthrottle.com/post/che...3-rs-ring-lap/
keagan (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 06:24 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default See Skank's update! ;)

Originally Posted by Achmed
According to this article GM volunteered their track time to help Porsche https://www.carthrottle.com/post/che...3-rs-ring-lap/
It looks like they ended up with some lone time, after all!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-26-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:53 AM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Achmed
guess they're content with the 7:13 time and don't think they can do better. I'd think you'd only give up valuable time to Porsche, who has much more access to the track then GM, if you already had a great time in the books.

Last edited by Ted P; 04-26-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Will 2019 ZR1 beat the 2019 NA GT3 RS at the 'Ring?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default They ran Yesterday!? ;)

guess they're content with the 7:13 time and don't think they can do better. I'd think you'd only give up valuable time to Porsche, who has much more access to the track then GM, if you already had a great time in the books.
It could be in for editing and you are simultaneously writing them off?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
It could be in for editing and you are simultaneously writing them off?
I hope you're right
Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

While that’s nice of Team Corvette to give their competition time, deep down I can’t help but think this is all bait. Why didn’t they release a time when they broke the VIR record a week before the FGT broke it? It’s like they are waiting to drop a bomb. Like yeah you go ahead and take an hour of our rental time, no biggie, we got this one in the bag kinda thing. I will never believe the ZR1 did 7:12. Has any of the more recent sports, super cars been attempting a record run at Laguna after the ACR? It’s kinda quiet over there.

Quick Reply: Will 2019 ZR1 beat the 2019 NA GT3 RS at the 'Ring?