C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Drag Racers (not Road Racers!), at what power level does the M7 become unpractical?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Drag Racers (not Road Racers!), at what power level does the M7 become unpractical?

Let me qualify by stating that I have been EXCLUSIVELY a Manual transmission guy from day 1 driving 40+ years ago and have ONLY had manual transmissions in my performance cars. Recently traded my C6Z M6 and sold my C7 ZO6 M7 but still have my 700+ NA RWHP LS7 T56 Monte Carlo for blasting around because I love to shift!

It seems that the Z06 was at about it's limit when it came to trying to be consistent with 60' times due to the small sidewalls on stock wheels. Not a fan of changing rear wheels to 18" on a Corvette....even though I would NEVER consider an Auto Trans in the past is the best bet with a ZR1, using a 20" wheel and given the power level with just a few tweaks like the Air Intake and Catless X-pipe, the A8 now that they have the shifting much improved over the Z06?

Obviously rowing gears for driving around town is one hell of a sacrifice to make for this but it seems that in order to run consistently fast at the track, a sacrifice may need to be made given the tremendous power level that this car is now capable of with a few tweaks and it's a legit high 9 second street car.....curious for input from "real racers"?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JMB
Let me qualify by stating that I have been EXCLUSIVELY a Manual transmission guy from day 1 driving 40+ years ago and have ONLY had manual transmissions in my performance cars. Recently traded my C6Z M6 and sold my C7 ZO6 M7 but still have my 700+ NA RWHP LS7 T56 Monte Carlo for blasting around because I love to shift!

It seems that the Z06 was at about it's limit when it came to trying to be consistent with 60' times due to the small sidewalls on stock wheels. Not a fan of changing rear wheels to 18" on a Corvette....even though I would NEVER consider an Auto Trans in the past is the best bet with a ZR1, using a 20" wheel and given the power level with just a few tweaks like the Air Intake and Catless X-pipe, the A8 now that they have the shifting much improved over the Z06?

Obviously rowing gears for driving around town is one hell of a sacrifice to make for this but it seems that in order to run consistently fast at the track, a sacrifice may need to be made given the tremendous power level that this car is now capable of with a few tweaks and it's a legit high 9 second street car.....curious for input from "real racers"?
I run an M7. Im at 850rwhp in a built and blown Stingray (non Z06). My best run was a 9.92 at 140 with several 10.0’s at anywhere from 139-141. 1.57 60’ was done on an 18” Mickey and 1.67 60’ was done on a 19’ Nitto NT05R.

Ant
Old 06-12-2018, 10:17 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FYREANT
My best run was a 9.92 at 140 with several 10.0’s at anywhere from 139-141. 1.57 60’ was done on an 18” Mickey and 1.67 60’ was done on a 19’ Nitto NT05R.
Impressive!

Any times with 20" tires?
Old 06-12-2018, 10:20 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JMB
Impressive!

Any times with 20" tires?
Thanks! No runs on 20’s. I ditched the 20’s 200rwhp ago.. lol
Old 06-13-2018, 05:11 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB

no advice to offer.

Most interested in pics of the ls7 Monte Carlo. Please post some!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:04 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

One thought is, buy the ME C8 manual, cause it will have much better traction.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 06-14-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 AM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

no advice to offer.

Most interested in pics of the ls7 Monte Carlo. Please post some!
No worries, I sent you a PM so as to not get this topic off subject!
Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 AM
txoutdoors
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
One thought is, buy the ME C8 manual, cause it will have much better traction.
Only one problem with that thought process........ the C8 ME is rumored to be auto only.

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Racers (not Road Racers!), at what power level does the M7 become unpractical?

Quick Reply: Drag Racers (not Road Racers!), at what power level does the M7 become unpractical?