C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Summit Point Track Day Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
, the understeer I complained about yesterday was largely gone today. I'm not sure exactly why but the track conditions were different.
if I recall, the understeer was with the rear spoiler adjusted to the highest downforce and stock Cup 2 tires. The stock spoiler setting with Pirelli 305 and 315 was OK.

I can't imagine lowering the front 3/8" would change the rear spoiler angle enough to make any difference (to understeer). My trig is a little rusty, but I figure a 3/8" drop at the front would change the rear spoiler angle about 0.15 degrees. Not enough to make a difference in rear downforce. It would make a significant difference on the front, however.

Last edited by range96; 06-14-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 AM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
if I recall, the understeer was with the rear spoiler adjusted to the highest downforce and stock Cup 2 tires. The stock spoiler setting with Pirelli 305 and 315 was OK.

I can't imagine lowering the front 3/8" would change the rear spoiler angle enough to make any difference (to understeer). My trig is a little rusty, but I figure a 3/8" drop at the front would change the rear spoiler angle about 0.15 degrees. Not enough to make a difference in rear downforce. It would make a significant difference on the front, however.
I don't think lower the front 3/8" is intended to increase the angle of the rear wing, but to lower the front under wing closer to the ground which will increase the efficiency of the underwing and provide more downforce in the front.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:49 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Adding more rake to the platform (chassis) with the front drop will do more for you than any change it makes to aero at Summit. More weight shifted forward to dial out some factory intended push.
The following users liked this post:
Mad Dog 24 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:17 AM
TXNick
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I didn't run many long sessions to really get a good handle on fuel consumption. The downside to a mostly empty track is that you get kind of bored unless you are really focused on putting down a fast lap. I do want to try and run through a full tank at least once tomorrow.

I'm considering a harness bar and harnesses. Right now I'm still running the stock belts and the Simpson hybrid. I don't see myself ripping out these really nice comp seats.
I installed the Vette Works Shark Bar and lap belt plate in my zo6. I have TeamTech 6 point harnesses. After installing them, I am no longer sore after a long weekend on track. Our bodies do a lot of extra work while hanging on in the oem belts (I will say, our belts are 100 times better than some other cars... 911GT3).

Dan at Vette Works is extremely knowledgeable. And will coach you through the install if needed. It’s actually a pretty easy install. If you are looking for a bar, I wouldn’t go any further than Dan at Vette Works!

Old 06-14-2018, 09:30 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by TXNick
Dan at Vette Works is extremely knowledgeable. And will coach you through the install if needed.
Sean knows of the Sharkbar as I have it in my car and he's seen it plenty of times. The issue is that Sean is a bit too tall and the belts will be anchored on the bar way below his shoulder-line. That adds a bit more risk, I think.

He needs a higher bar given his height.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Qwhy!? ;)

1. Biases more weight forward
  2. Increases DF on All relative car surfaces
  3. Blocks more undercar air
  4. Smashes front low lying aero if not reset

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-14-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:23 AM
zedbyers
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TXNick

I installed the Vette Works Shark Bar and lap belt plate in my zo6. I have TeamTech 6 point harnesses. After installing them, I am no longer sore after a long weekend on track. Our bodies do a lot of extra work while hanging on in the oem belts (I will say, our belts are 100 times better than some other cars... 911GT3).

Dan at Vette Works is extremely knowledgeable. And will coach you through the install if needed. It’s actually a pretty easy install. If you are looking for a bar, I wouldn’t go any further than Dan at Vette Works!
do you guys wear the factory seat belt in addition to what I see in these pics?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:31 AM
TXNick
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by zedbyers
do you guys wear the factory seat belt in addition to what I see in these pics?

no. The oem belts serve no purpose on track. I push the harnesses back through the seats for when I drive it on the streets, which is not much (date night / or if the kids want to ride in it to soccer practice).
Old 06-14-2018, 10:36 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob U
I don't think lower the front 3/8" is intended to increase the angle of the rear wing, but to lower the front under wing closer to the ground which will increase the efficiency of the underwing and provide more downforce in the front.
I agreee, absolutely. I was trying to answer Questar's question.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Sean knows of the Sharkbar as I have it in my car and he's seen it plenty of times. The issue is that Sean is a bit too tall and the belts will be anchored on the bar way below his shoulder-line. That adds a bit more risk, I think.

He needs a higher bar given his height.
The Brey Krause harness bar has a more substantial design, mounts higher on the B pillar than the Sharkbar, and has two levels for harness attachment.
The following users liked this post:
zedbyers (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Holy f*ck!

The driver of that Miata & I would have had a serious talk.

Hopefully you at least reported him to grid & he got booted.

That was incredibly dangerous and stupid.

I'm glad you were able to avoid the bastard.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Congrats on your PB today! Great watching you drive. I really want my ZR1 now...

p.s. Do any of you Corvette guys run titanium backing plates in your calipers? I started using them on my M Coupe and they made a very noticeable difference on insulating my brake fluid from caliper heat. Al California Speedway I used to get fluid fade when braking after the infield straight, after the plates I would rarely get any. The advertised 10-15F fluid temp drop can be significant relative its the boiling point. Unless anyone has anything bad to say about them I plan to get them for my ZR1 too.

Last edited by Palantirion; 06-14-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I'm going BK harness bar this summer along with the Schroth Profi ASM 4pt harnesses. It looks like you can still get a 6pt setup and wrap it under your thighs to the lap anchors.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I'm going BK harness bar this summer along with the Schroth Profi ASM 4pt harnesses. It looks like you can still get a 6pt setup and wrap it under your thighs to the lap anchors.
I'm contemplating the BK bar and the Profi II. I'm thinking that I'll run the 3-point over top of the harness as a backup and to shut off the seat belt warning. What are folks using to connect the lap belts?
Old 06-14-2018, 09:54 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm contemplating the BK bar and the Profi II. I'm thinking that I'll run the 3-point over top of the harness as a backup and to shut off the seat belt warning. What are folks using to connect the lap belts?
If you contact GM and tell them you need a seat belt extender, you can cut off the strap and use the insert piece to disable the seat belt alarm while using the race harness on track.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:56 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Sean I put the BK bar in mine and the seat belt warning doesn't come on at all. I do get a light for the airbag but no chime at all. I don't think you're going to have a problem with the chime if you take the factory seat out.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

BK makes lap belt anchors too.
https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item...-belt-harness/

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Point Track Day Report

Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 PM
mallett435
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I ran the past two days at the Glen with Schroth 4 pt Profi ASMs, BK bar, comp seats, bk lap belt mount kit, and seat belt eliminator plug (no chime or light). Very happy with this setup. Highly recommend if staying with stock seat.

I'll be at NCM VIR if you want to check it out.
​​​​
Old 06-14-2018, 11:43 PM
TXNick
Heel & Toe

I got these from Vette Works as well. They function perfectly. They are laser cut stainless.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 AM
zedbyers
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mallett435
I ran the past two days at the Glen with Schroth 4 pt Profi ASMs, BK bar, comp seats, bk lap belt mount kit, and seat belt eliminator plug (no chime or light). Very happy with this setup. Highly recommend if staying with stock seat.

I'll be at NCM VIR if you want to check it out.
​​​​
i recognize we have taken this tread OT, but would you mind posting a few pics of this setup? i think this might be the ticket for me when my car is actually delivered.

Quick Reply: Summit Point Track Day Report