C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Summit Point Track Day Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

For what little it may be worth: I solve the seat belt light/alarm issue by just running the belt behind the seat and latching it. Done.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by mallett435
I ran the past two days at the Glen with Schroth 4 pt Profi ASMs, BK bar, comp seats, bk lap belt mount kit, and seat belt eliminator plug (no chime or light). Very happy with this setup. Highly recommend if staying with stock seat.

I'll be at NCM VIR if you want to check it out.
​​​​
We really should start a new thread on the harness bar/harness thing. However, I would like to sit in your car at VIR and see how the harness routing would be for me.

My reason for thinking I'll run the 3-points over top is more as a failsafe than because of the seatbelt alarm. I'm still concerned about the harness routing not being correct with the stock seats and whether the setup will perform as designed. With the 3-points also fastened it gives me an extra measure should something go wrong with the harnesses.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Sean we all think its time for you to change your avatar here. Sorry but the old Z just doesn't work any more

BTW, I bought the BK eyes for the clip on harness ends at the seat years ago. Pull the seat and simply bolt them to the existing seat\pivot bolt then twist them so their easy to access. Out of the way when not in use but a bit of a pia to snap the harness on and off. If I remember all for under 50!
Old 06-15-2018, 02:13 PM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Great drive. Running in the 14's is a big accomplishment for sure. Looking forward to seeing you at VIR later this year.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by zedbyers
i recognize we have taken this tread OT, but would you mind posting a few pics of this setup? i think this might be the ticket for me when my car is actually delivered.
+1. Perhaps make a new thread for that, and post the link here so as to not derail the OP.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:34 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Mike texted me Monday afternoon and said the 12-17-2017 firmware was working on the 2018+ cars, you just might need to drive it a couple of miles the first time before the PTM modes work. I flashed the firmware on the same unit I had in my 2017, installed it sitting in the paddock, and it just worked without having to do anything.
WHAT ????
I have waited for ever to install it in my 2018 Z06, bought it in march.
And now you say it works with firmware from dec 17th , 2017 ????
I PM to DSC, he asked me to get back to him this week, haven't heard anything... really hope it can be tested ... going for a 4000 mile road trip down Europe and SPA, Nurburgring and Salzburgring is on the menu....

How about DSC shocks... how much improvement is it versus stock shocks ?
is it just on track you will notice a difference ?

tia

edit: Should read the whole post before asking ��, lets see what you and DSC can come up with so i can use my controller....
Q on shocks still remain :-)

Rune

Last edited by Z06Norway; 06-16-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Now that we're back on topic I wanted to offer a couple more observations from my first track outing with the ZR1.

Like the C7 Z06s I had before, the car pops out of 5th gear under heavy braking. I guess I'll be ordering up another MGW shifter as that fixed the problem on the Z06.

While the trans temps got hot I do not see the spray of trans fluid under the car like I saw with the Z06. Perhaps they fixed the issue with the vent or the fluid. I still plan on replacing the stock fluid with Redline D4 after VIR.

No lift shift works substantially better on the ZR1 than on the Z06. I never once got the balk or throttle cut that typically happened with the Z06.

All things considered, the pad life wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. I only drove 2 1/2 hours this week which for me is on the low side but is about what a typical 2-day HPDE has. My pads have 11.5mm of thickness after the event and 6mm of that is the backing plate. I believe the stock pad thickness when new is 17.5mm so I burned through half the pad in 2 1/2 hours on track. Remember that pads tend to wear more quickly as they get thinner and you can't run them to the backing the plates so I'd figure 4 hours of track time out of a set of pads.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:14 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Sean, what's your shifting style under braking? As I mainly run Sebring, my top speed is 152mph down the back straight which is the limiter in 4th. I never go in 5th to even experience the popping out of gear. However, my sense is that I'd be reaching down to downshift into 4th pretty quickly and early in the braking event so perhaps I'd never experience it? Heavy braking in 5th seems like a very short moment in time. Any in-car video of it happening?

Last edited by spearfish25; 06-16-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Sean, thanks for the update.
Regarding the Redline D4 fluid, did you use it in your Z06?
Did it improve shifting and or was it for the temperature issue?
Old 06-17-2018, 12:36 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Great to hear your reports.

My Z06 was popping out of 5th again this week at the track. I can downshift to 4th to prevent it, but that messes with my brake timing. I have an MGW sitting here, but waiting for dealer to fix other issues before I install it.

Interesting you didn't loose any tans fluid yet. I am thinking my Z06 was overfilled from the factory, but it was my 3rd track day when it lost fluid. Did you loose any fluid after you started running Redline?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:14 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

I haven't run the redline before. I just ran the stock fluid in the 2017 and ran Amsoil in the 2015 but it still puked fluid.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Sean, what's your shifting style under braking? As I mainly run Sebring, my top speed is 152mph down the back straight which is the limiter in 4th. I never go in 5th to even experience the popping out of gear. However, my sense is that I'd be reaching down to downshift into 4th pretty quickly and early in the braking event so perhaps I'd never experience it? Heavy braking in 5th seems like a very short moment in time. Any in-car video of it happening?
It's only in really heavy braking zones where you would be going from fifth to third or second.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:44 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I haven't run the redline before. I just ran the stock fluid in the 2017 and ran Amsoil in the 2015 but it still puked fluid.
I think the benefit of different transmission oils is very subjective and probably mostly mental...but I've now tried OEM, redline and amsoil in the Z06. I like the OEM juice the best and Redline the least. The Redline has shitty gear shifts and feel. No explanation for it as Redline was great in the TR-6060 in my previous CTSV.

Do we think the trans belching is from expansion? Not sure any will differ that much from the others.

Last edited by spearfish25; 06-17-2018 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (06-17-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:38 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I think the benefit of different transmission oils is very subjective and probably mostly mental...but I've now tried OEM, redline and amsoil in the Z06. I like the OEM juice the best and Redline the least. The Redline has shitty gear shifts and feel. No explanation for it as Redline was great in the TR-6060 in my previous CTSV.

Do we think the trans belching is from expansion? Not sure any will differ that much from the others.
As for Fluid Choice: This was my experience as well... I am a HUGE Redline fan for Engine & Rear end in our race cars... but frankly haven't found anything that the GM Transmissions like other than OEM fluid. Just have to change it regularly.

As for Fluid Belching: I do believe it is temperature related (expansion), if you can keep the fluid temps cool, you'll have less expansion and no belching. It seems the ZR1 is doing better on temps, which would correlate to not resulting in overflowing.

Keep us updated on how you like the Redline fluid once you change.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Poor-sha had 307F trans oil temp and no belch. My Z06 belched around 240F.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Originally Posted by djnice
Poor-sha had 307F trans oil temp and no belch. My Z06 belched around 240F.
Wow, 240 seems early to belch. Wonder if slightly over full?

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Yes, it appears it was overfilled because after the car sat for two weeks the fluid was still high when I prepped for the next track day. What temp would you normally expect it to loose some fluid?

Was hoping an oil change to Redline D4 and a little MTL would help with shift smoothness and stability. Made my TR6060 in the ZL1 feel better.

Last edited by djnice; 06-18-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Point Track Day Report

Old 06-18-2018, 09:53 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Originally Posted by djnice
Yes, it appears it was overfilled because after the car sat for two weeks the fluid was still high when I prepped for the next track day. What temp would you normally expect it to loose some fluid?

Was hoping an oil change to Redline D4 and a little MTL would help with shift smoothness and stability. Made my TR6060 in the ZL1 feel better.
I'm not sure to be honest. I believe the 'ATF' fluid in these transmissions are more for 'mileage' than the track. And so something closer to MTL is probably a good choice for a more dedicated track car.

If/When I decide to get a ZR1, I'll probably stick with the OEM trans fluid, and change it regularly (if seeing temps in the 250+ range).

Will be reading/watching as others experiment for sure.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Forgive me if some have heard this. I discussed our 15 M7 trans with an employee acquaintance of Tremec a few years back. He understands the track duty well and suggested to use Mobile 1 ATF. Before changing it this spring finally mine was hard to slide into 2nd but never popped out of any gear. After the change and seems every time I shift now into second its super smooth as is all of them with the stock shifter. Never a puke or over heat of fluid either. If that happens I bet its a overfilled issue.

Spearfish.... 152 in 4th gear that great! Why can I only get 146 to 48 and the car then is bouncing off the limiter. Did you change a gear in the rear or trans? I have to shift into 5th to go over 150 although wish I didn't.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:05 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Forgive me if some have heard this. I discussed our 15 M7 trans with an employee acquaintance of Tremec a few years back. He understands the track duty well and suggested to use Mobile 1 ATF. Before changing it this spring finally mine was hard to slide into 2nd but never popped out of any gear. After the change and seems every time I shift now into second its super smooth as is all of them with the stock shifter. Never a puke or over heat of fluid either. If that happens I bet its a overfilled issue.

Spearfish.... 152 in 4th gear that great! Why can I only get 146 to 48 and the car then is bouncing off the limiter. Did you change a gear in the rear or trans? I have to shift into 5th to go over 150 although wish I didn't.
Are you running stock wheels? In theory, modern manual corvettes with 3.42 rear end and 1:1 4th gear run about 146~153ish. (except for LS7) when I put headers on my C6 GS I raised the rev limiter by 150 RPM and picked up about 6MPH on the back straight at VIR. In other instances I've seen guys with different wheel size but stock limiter run about the same speeds at the top of 4th.

Last edited by truth.b; 06-19-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Summit Point Track Day Report