C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C7 ZR1 ZTK vs 720S

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by GrapemanZR1
Yes, that corporation or LLC is domiciled in Montana. But when you reside in say California, and you bring that car permanently into California, you are required to register it in California within 30 days of it entering the state. You're not allowed to drive it forever with Montana plates. You may never get stopped or caught, but that doesn't make it legal.
Most states are now doing things to combat the Montana ordeal. Not illegal but illegal lol.

Everytime I watch a Youtuber from CA they never have tags lol. (Vehicle Virgins and Salomondrin).
Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 PM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

Illegal aliens OK by California Government. Need you guys to pay forem. Lol
Old 07-23-2018, 09:05 AM
Enzom
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
Most states are now doing things to combat the Montana ordeal. Not illegal but illegal lol.

Everytime I watch a Youtuber from CA they never have tags lol. (Vehicle Virgins and Salomondrin).
Interesting - but I would make the argument that the car does not belong to the "resident". The law is really designed for individuals who don't register their personal cars. And that's because the state is losing the registration fees. And California sure needs more money.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:17 AM
GrapemanZR1
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzom
Interesting - but I would make the argument that the car does not belong to the "resident". The law is really designed for individuals who don't register their personal cars. And that's because the state is losing the registration fees. And California sure needs more money.
To them, that doesn't matter. What matters is the fact that the vehicle is domiciled in the state and using the state's roads, etc. So the law's justification is that any such car owner should shoulder a fair share of infrastructure expense. Regardless, that doesn't matter to me. In Texas, car registration is downright cheap!
Old 07-23-2018, 05:51 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Any vids of this? I thought the trapped low 140's and only a few have hit 9's.
Here's another one:
Old 07-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzom
I am not versed on CA law lol, I have read where a ton of guys with exotics do not register their cars and run around with tags promoting a business or something.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:00 AM
herohaki
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

i think its unreasonable comparison... the 720s is pushing into hypercar performance, people keep comparing the 720s's numbers with other supercars and then shame the other supercars for losing, it is quite unfair to the other cars... it's not that the other supercars are not good, the 720s is like in another category with its specs. You have to remember the materials and engineering in this car, it is why it costs way more than the ZR1 and some other supercars, they need to make it better enough to separate it from the 570s which is already one of the quickest supercars. We have to take into account the weight and aero for cars like this, horsepower alone doesn't mean much, mclaren and porsche proves this many times. TBH it is too easy to overhype the 720s because people keep comparing it with entry level supercars when it is a step above that creating a class of its own, the 720s because of its aero and weight, is one of the fastest in straight line acceleration period, it shouldn't surprise anybody... but around the track it might be a different story, that's where the track focused lt version will come in and it will be a crazy track monster, they have to leave room for that beast.

also... people should realize the ZR1 and ACR are track focused cars, meaning they are meant for lap times, the engineers designed them more for the track rather than going fast in a straight line, so stop racing them in a straight line and crying about losing to better cars for that purpose and go to the track to enjoy them more. Don't go talking trash about the vettes or other supercars, we should appreciate all the engineering and magic put into these cars and be thankful you are lucky enough to own one.

Last edited by herohaki; 07-25-2018 at 11:08 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by herohaki:
DebRedZR1 (07-25-2018), DoctorV8 (07-25-2018), HTXSkydiver (07-25-2018), Leadfoot01 (08-07-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by herohaki
i think its unreasonable comparison... the 720s is pushing into hypercar performance, people keep comparing the 720s's numbers with other supercars and then shame the other supercars for losing, it is quite unfair to the other cars... it's not that the other supercars are not good, the 720s is like in another category with its specs. You have to remember the materials and engineering in this car, it is why it costs way more than the ZR1 and some other supercars, they need to make it better enough to separate it from the 570s which is already one of the quickest supercars. We have to take into account the weight and aero for cars like this, horsepower alone doesn't mean much, mclaren and porsche proves this many times. TBH it is too easy to overhype the 720s because people keep comparing it with entry level supercars when it is a step above that creating a class of its own, the 720s because of its aero and weight, is one of the fastest in straight line acceleration period, it shouldn't surprise anybody... but around the track it might be a different story, that's where the track focused lt version will come in and it will be a crazy track monster, they have to leave room for that beast.
Very well put. I wish others would understand this...
Old 07-25-2018, 11:16 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

720s because of its aero and weight, is one of the fastest in straight line acceleration period, it shouldn't surprise anybody... but around the track it might be a different story, that's where the track focused lt version will come in and it will be a crazy track monster, they have to leave room for that beast.
I have tracked the 720S extensively, and even though this is the "base" non track intended car, it performs impressively, esp on a track like CoTA with long straights. The suspension is fantastic, and it's very forgiving even near the limit. A regular 720S with sticky tires is very formidable on track. Can't imagine what they have in store for the LT version.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:29 AM
herohaki
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
I have tracked the 720S extensively, and even though this is the "base" non track intended car, it performs impressively, esp on a track like CoTA with long straights. The suspension is fantastic, and it's very forgiving even near the limit. A regular 720S with sticky tires is very formidable on track. Can't imagine what they have in store for the LT version.
yea the 720s is obviously still a track day weapon especially if the track has long straights, but the LT version gonna be the absolute monster, pretty scary to imagine lol
Old 07-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Hp 720

Originally Posted by jvp
I'm not sure what your "Reality check" is in reference to. It's fairly well known that the 720 is severely underrated. Again: they don't subscribe to SAE's engine HP rating. So they're allowed to say whatever the hell they want. And it's clear by the various dyno pulls: they have said it. The engine is within striking distance of 800HP at the flywheel, easily.
JVP

I can tell you where the difference is

We measure on our test bench according to the DIN standard
As a rule of thumb to convert from DIN to SAE PS you can use the factor 1.02

All GM vehicles usually have much less power than promised

Here are a few average numbers of what I am doing at the engine

C6 ZR1 = ca 580-600HP it lacks about 40
C7 Z06 7G = about 600-620HP missing about 50
C7 Z06 8A = ca 580-600HP there are about 60 missing
The new C7ZR1 I could not measure, because our car has not come, I'm already sure there will be at least 50 more missing

As comparison

Porsche GT3 450 HP I measure 450
Porsche GT3 500 HP I measure 500

MC Claren 720 = I measure 760

Greetings to the USA
Cölestin
Old 07-25-2018, 04:55 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lasco001
JVP

I can tell you where the difference is

We measure on our test bench according to the DIN standard
As a rule of thumb to convert from DIN to SAE PS you can use the factor 1.02

All GM vehicles usually have much less power than promised

Here are a few average numbers of what I am doing at the engine

C6 ZR1 = ca 580-600HP it lacks about 40
C7 Z06 7G = about 600-620HP missing about 50
C7 Z06 8A = ca 580-600HP there are about 60 missing
The new C7ZR1 I could not measure, because our car has not come, I'm already sure there will be at least 50 more missing

As comparison

Porsche GT3 450 HP I measure 450
Porsche GT3 500 HP I measure 500

MC Claren 720 = I measure 760

Greetings to the USA
Cölestin
What type of equipment are you using?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:16 PM
nunii
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I went from a z06 to the 570s Biggest difference between the z06 vs any mclaren it’s much easier for a novice to find the limits in the mclaren, I bet a z06 is faster around the track but only in the hands of a pro.

If you have never driven an exotic and only going on specs alone you will never understand the difference between a Chevy and Mclaren. once you drive the exotic I promise you will understand why they cost so much!!
Old 07-25-2018, 10:09 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Not an engine dyno, that's for sure. Which makes the power numbers an interesting comparison, but pointless for saying the "GM vehicles usually have much less power than promised"
The following users liked this post:
DoctorV8 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 09:57 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by nunii
I went from a z06 to the 570s Biggest difference between the z06 vs any mclaren it’s much easier for a novice to find the limits in the mclaren, I bet a z06 is faster around the track but only in the hands of a pro.

If you have never driven an exotic and only going on specs alone you will never understand the difference between a Chevy and Mclaren. once you drive the exotic I promise you will understand why they cost so much!!
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll it's easy to see why I picked ZR > Exotic, comfort, cost and performance ........................
Old 07-26-2018, 01:58 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

also... people should realize the ZR1 and ACR are track focused cars, meaning they are meant for lap times, the engineers designed them more for the track rather than going fast in a straight line, so stop racing them in a straight line and crying about losing to better cars for that purpose and go to the track to enjoy them more. Don't go talking trash about the vettes or other supercars, we should appreciate all the engineering and magic put into these cars and be thankful you are lucky enough to own one.
Does that include Mustang owners! You know the elite car that owners are so hi on them they judge against all the other lessor Corvette's and other lessor sports cars!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:19 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Sorry - don't agree. I drove a 458 - nice !! and the 430 - 430 interior looks like a kit car, never mind the crappy tranny is has, that jerks your head between shifts. the 458 a different story - nice interior and dct.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZR1 ZTK vs 720S

Old 07-26-2018, 02:24 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Sorry - don't agree. I drove a 458 - nice !! and the 430 - 430 interior looks like a kit car, never mind the crappy tranny is has, that jerks your head between shifts. the 458 a different story - nice interior and dct.
the 458 is a track monster. Very smooth!!!!
Old 07-26-2018, 03:55 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Different folks can have different experiences. I have driven a McLaren MP4 (hoping to love it because I thought it was beautiful), 458, and Aventador at Exotic Racing, LAS. I feel more comfortable in our Z06 than the MP4 (it was twitchy compared to the Z, not a knock and not a surprise considering the chassis configuration) The 458 handled well, but not any better, and is down on torque to the Z, and the Aventador sounded great but when the transmission shifted you needed a neck brace it was so harsh-would NOT be fun on the street.

So my wife and I have 8k on the '17 Z, more than half of those miles at the track. I would love to see any of those cars just mentioned come to our local HPDE for a little friendly amateur comparison
Old 07-28-2018, 12:35 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

SuperFlow WinDin V2.8

Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 ZTK vs 720S