C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 01:22 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I’m going to attempt to be delicate here... don’t want to offend anyone. I have loved Corvettes my whole life, and have owned a couple. My last Corvette was purchased when the C7 came out. I needed that car! I had at the time a C6 Z06 which was my dream car, and still love them. No dealers in my state had a C7 at that time, so I drove to Oklahoma to buy one sight unseen. They absolutely wouldn’t let me test drive it even though I had driven 4 hours in a car I loved to buy theirs. I thought that was stupid then, and I still think it’s stupid now!

I traded my C7 for a Porsche 911 Turbo S which I got to test drive... I now drive a new Mclaren, which I got to test drive. What soured me on Corvettes were the arrogant sales staff at almost every dealership I’ve visited. I came close to purchasing a new Z06 a couple of times, but the way I was treated was a major turnoff on the brand. I still love Corvettes, always will, but believe or not, some car brands want to EARN your loyalty not expect you to just buy like a blind sheep following the crowd.

I do realize these are hot off the presses, however if you’re going to spend this kind of money on a car, regardless of brand, you should be able to at least see how it fits?
The following 2 users liked this post by C7BB:
CorvetteBrent (08-05-2018), gpuglisi (08-04-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:44 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I would NEVER buy a vehicle without test driving it.
I do feel this "no test drive" mentality is bull crap. I do believe the dealer should pre-qualify you to verify that you can afford a ZR1, but it boggles my mind to know that I can go into a Porsche, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc dealer and test drive pretty much any vehicle, even those costing much more than a ZR1 just by giving them a copy of my drivers license.

If there are any questions, giving your Social Security number to the finance manager will prove that you can afford it or not. If you have a personal relationship with your banker, you can also have them call the banks branch manager to verify your financial cabilities.

If I was really serious about buying a specific model car and the salesman said "no test drives", I would speak to the sales manager and finance manager. If they still say "no", then I find another dealer. It's only a Corvette....not some one off never to be built again vehicle worth 20 million dollars.
Look at it this way...you can test drive 'pretty much any' corvette...just not a ZR1 'right now.' From my experience this is absolutely NO different than ANY car manufacturer out there. Heck, Honda wouldnt let people test drive the S2000 when it first came out unless you put a $10k deposit down and ordered the car. I suppose you could cancel afterwards but you get the point. I pulled into a Ferrari dealership in my fairly new 612 Scaglietti and asked to test drive a 458 Speciale cause I was genuinely interested in one...they said NO. I've had this experience at Porsche with a GT3RS etc.

Most manufacturers 'halo' cars or extremely limited production cars are usually not allowed to be test driven. I'm sure there are exceptions and people who 'know' their dealer well etc...but generally it doesnt happen. At the moment GM's 'halo' car is the ZR1. How many people test drove a new FGT before buying? ZERO. GT2RS? ZERO. Lexus LFA? LaFerrari, P1, 918, Mac Senna etc...You get the point. In 1 year you'll be able to test drive a ZR1 at most dealerships with no problem. I do feel and appreciate your frustration, but this is NOT a GM thing...
The following 3 users liked this post by ZoratZ06:
CorvetteBrent (08-05-2018), desmophile (08-03-2018), Oskee (07-31-2019)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by C7BB
I’m going to attempt to be delicate here... don’t want to offend anyone. I have loved Corvettes my whole life, and have owned a couple. My last Corvette was purchased when the C7 came out. I needed that car! I had at the time a C6 Z06 which was my dream car, and still love them. No dealers in my state had a C7 at that time, so I drove to Oklahoma to buy one sight unseen. They absolutely wouldn’t let me test drive it even though I had driven 4 hours in a car I loved to buy theirs. I thought that was stupid then, and I still think it’s stupid now!

I traded my C7 for a Porsche 911 Turbo S which I got to test drive... I now drive a new Mclaren, which I got to test drive. What soured me on Corvettes were the arrogant sales staff at almost every dealership I’ve visited. I came close to purchasing a new Z06 a couple of times, but the way I was treated was a major turnoff on the brand. I still love Corvettes, always will, but believe or not, some car brands want to EARN your loyalty not expect you to just buy like a blind sheep following the crowd.

I do realize these are hot off the presses, however if you’re going to spend this kind of money on a car, regardless of brand, you should be able to at least see how it fits?
Look for another dealership...I think we've all had that experience here or there with certain dealerships. My personal opinion is that salespeople ABSOLUTELY pre-judge people, esp. depending upon AGE or what car you pulled up in, or the clothes you wear. Fair? Probably not, but many do it. Not just GM, but all dealers. Try going into a Lambo/Ferrari dealership at 25-35 years old (except in South Beach, lol)...vs. 50-65 years old. Same is true at Rolls Royce etc. It's just life. That's been my experience anyway. We should all be treated well/fairly, but that's not always reality. ;-)

Cheers!
Old 08-03-2018, 03:32 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I agree with you 100%......I have never been denied a test drive of any model that was sitting on the floor my local Porsche, Mercedes, Bentley or Land Rover (except for the Range Rover SVR which was already sold). I don't get it with the no test drive attitude especially if you have multiple units on the floor.
Since the ZR1 is the hot new Vette out there, I get it if it was exclusive.....but if it is sitting on the floor then obviously it is not "that" exclusive or it would be pre-sold out just like the Range Rover SVR I wanted to test drive. And yes, even though I own a couple of Range Rovers now, I wanted to drive the SVR before ordering one because my understanding is that it was much more sportier of a suspension system and wanted to make sure it wouldn't be too stiff/rough for a daily driver. They didn't have one for me to drive so I didn't buy one.

Look, a lot of guys are willing to marry a girl they never met......I'm not that guy and there is no car that I need bad enough to deny my requirement for a test drive. If people really want to test drive a ZR1, just wait about 6 months for the hype to die down and you'll have no problem getting a test drive especially if you are pre-qualified by the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-05-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 03:43 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Sorry OP, looks like your thread sort of got jacked. Only dealers with available cars will have the answer you seek. As you can see, personal preferences have taken over
Old 08-03-2018, 04:04 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m3incorp
Sorry OP, looks like your thread sort of got jacked. Only dealers with available cars will have the answer you seek. As you can see, personal preferences have taken over
No one hijacked this thread... we’re all talking about different experiences we’ve had attempting to purchase different cars! At the end of the day, it’s a Chevrolet, should be a test drive car available in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Actually I said sort of Even I participated in giving my opinion. He/She asked a question that NONE of us can answer unless we are a dealer and have the car. If I was a dealer and had only one of the cars. I would say no you can't test drive my one car. If I was a buyer and the dealer told me I couldn't drive his one test car, (if that was my criteria) I would say bye. ......yep I agree it is a Chevy.

No one hijacked this thread... we’re all talking about different experiences we’ve had attempting to purchase different cars! At the end of the day, it’s a Chevrolet, should be a test drive car available in my opinion.

Last edited by m3incorp; 08-03-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-03-2018, 04:32 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Lots of interesting opinions here. With no disrespect or disdain for anyone who has posted...…..

The question I would ask of those who want a test drive is...…

What do you seek to learn by a test drive in the neighborhood streets or maybe a short run down a belt route freeway near the dealership?

FWIW I have purchased several high performance vehicles having never had a test ride/drive/flight in them. I read a lot, filter out the BS, and respect the opinions of a few who have had the time (and great luck!!) to compare the specific vehicle to others in the genre. I never saw a Z06 in a dealership or on the street, and never had a ride in any Corvette. But I ordered one in a color I had never seen, Black Rose Metallic. Absolutely happy with the car!!! It is what I expected and more. Maybe a good thing I couldn't get a test drive in a Senna, because maybe I would be less happy. Moot point, because they didn't contact me to buy one of the 500 they were going to build, and they were already all sold to people who had never seen one.

Now the non-PC comment: If Farrah Fawcett had said she would marry me but there would be no foolin' around until after the "I do's" what would I have done???

Anyway, I always find it interesting to learn how folks make important decisions in their lives. 65 years in and I certainly don't have all the answers.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:12 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by desmophile
Lots of interesting opinions here. With no disrespect or disdain for anyone who has posted...…..

The question I would ask of those who want a test drive is...…

What do you seek to learn by a test drive in the neighborhood streets or maybe a short run down a belt route freeway near the dealership?

FWIW I have purchased several high performance vehicles having never had a test ride/drive/flight in them. I read a lot, filter out the BS, and respect the opinions of a few who have had the time (and great luck!!) to compare the specific vehicle to others in the genre. I never saw a Z06 in a dealership or on the street, and never had a ride in any Corvette. But I ordered one in a color I had never seen, Black Rose Metallic. Absolutely happy with the car!!! It is what I expected and more. Maybe a good thing I couldn't get a test drive in a Senna, because maybe I would be less happy. Moot point, because they didn't contact me to buy one of the 500 they were going to build, and they were already all sold to people who had never seen one.

Now the non-PC comment: If Farrah Fawcett had said she would marry me but there would be no foolin' around until after the "I do's" what would I have done???

Anyway, I always find it interesting to learn how folks make important decisions in their lives. 65 years in and I certainly don't have all the answers.
Depends on if we're talking about Farah Fawcett back in the day, or in 2008, Lol.

Last edited by 427Z0SX; 08-03-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

I can pretty much walk in to any dealership in my area and get a test drive of any car SITTING IN THEIR INVENTORY and not spoken for. I’d be an idiot to complain if a dealership was unwilling on unable to offer me a test drive in a car that’s not out yet... or a limited production vehicle that’s wait listed and has line ups of people putting down deposits to buy one as soon as an allocation becomes available. Suggesting because “it’s a Chevrolet” there’s an obligation to have demo vehicles and test drives “available” even when there aren’t enough cars to meet advance orders, that’s just beyond my grasp.

I ordered my C7 Stingray BEFORE the first production unit rolled off the assembly line... obviously no test drive... but I did get to see pictures in the magazines.

i ordered my Z06 after seeing one in person at the US Nationals... didn’t get to test drive it... or even sit in it... but ordered it just the same.

i ordered my ZR1 BEFORE production units rolled off the assembly line... never saw one in person... no test drive... how could I get a test ride since my car was the VERY FIRST ZR1 built for Canadian export... and it was built for me to my order.

If I didn’t like it I could have sold it to someone else for a profit so what’s the big deal, test drive or not. If you want a test drive then wait until they have unsold cars and demo units... whenever that is. You want latest and greatest when demand exceeds supply, you ain’t getting a test drive. If you don’t like that then buy something else.

Suck it up buttercup.
The following 4 users liked this post by Questar:
desmophile (08-03-2018), dmaxx3500 (08-04-2018), Newton06 (08-04-2018), Vetteram (08-07-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 978 Likes on 460 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I bought my Z06 without a test drive, but at least they were willing to see if I could get one before I bought it...I said never mind, I'll take it if we can get the deal done properly. If you like the looks of the car, find a dealer that has a Z06 and go sit in it, same car inside. As for test drives...go find any of the high end sports cars that allow you to test drive a new car before you "might" buy it, I doubt you will find many...If you wait 6 months wait to find a used ZR1 on the lot....there will be a few I'm sure
Old 08-04-2018, 12:47 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
I bought my Z06 without a test drive, but at least they were willing to see if I could get one before I bought it...I said never mind, I'll take it if we can get the deal done properly. If you like the looks of the car, find a dealer that has a Z06 and go sit in it, same car inside. As for test drives...go find any of the high end sports cars that allow you to test drive a new car before you "might" buy it, I doubt you will find many...If you wait 6 months wait to find a used ZR1 on the lot....there will be a few I'm sure

If I am unable to get a vehicle test drive and am unsure I want the vehicle, I seek a dealer who understands my position and will write an order with deposit subject to test drive.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:05 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
You'd probably be surprised how many dealers have them sitting on the lot, just waiting for that sucker born every moment customer. It's the same dealers that have a $25k - $50k markup on the window. There are several dealers around us that have one in stock, some already up to 45 days old!
Yea, I didn't even think of that. My area you do not see dealers doing that much. If there is one of those mark ups on the window of anything, I just walk away.

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
SoCal dealers are the worst for this. They want them to generate foot traffic. They'll sell it to any sucker who's ready to blow an extra 25+ over sticker for 'market adjustment'

Dang. Not much of that in my area. I do remember seeing it in popular cars the two years I lived in Boston. In my area, most people would just walk away if they saw something like that. I would never consider spending more than MSRP, and have a very hard time even thinking about paying MSRP. That's why I am never the first one to have something.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:02 PM
zedbyers
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

i have a 2013 GT500 convertible. Dealer let me take it home overnight. only agreement we had was i would not put more than 100 miles on the car. this was early october 2012, when these things were just getting out there. remember back then 662HP was the number to beat, and for a short while Ford was #1 in the HP war. still couldn't believe they just let me take it home for the night, but they did, and it worked, i bought it the next day.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:53 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Right now the ZR1 is the latest and greatest vette out there. Just give it time and the novelty will wear off and the whole game will change. Doesn’t mean the ZR1 won’t still be a way cool awesome performing ride, just that the new shiny toy will be the mid engine vette that we all know isn’t far away and the ZR1, as great as it is, will be yesterday’s newspapers and the new stampede will be galloping after the mid engine. Then the discounts and test drives will eventually be available just like they were with the C7’s when the novelty wore off, same for the Z06 etc.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:54 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I had a similar issue with the Z06 actually. Dealers around me didn’t have any to drive. I ended up driving a lightly used Z51. I learned:

- I like the seating position
- I like the ergonomics as everything falls comfortably to hand
- I liked the visibility, having owned a ZL1 and CTS-V coupe that were challenged in this way.
- Interior NVH, tolerable but not great

What I couldn’t learn and had to read in magazines:

- Handling feel at the limit
- Acceleration
- Brake feel after numerous hard braking events
- Ultimately in track performance

i took the same tact with the ZL1 1LE, which is another hard test drive to get. Drive an SS and everything above (ergonomics, seating position, visibility) made that car a no go for me.

Good luck OP, if you want it bad enough you’ll find a way.
The following 2 users liked this post by cvp33:
CorvetteBrent (08-05-2018), desmophile (08-10-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 11:49 AM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

I guess it all depends on the Dealer, when I bought my C7 ZO6 I told the salesman I loved the car and he offered a test ride. Crazy, I thought, so me and my brother drove the car I even had to put gas in it. But a ZR1 probably not we all are waiting, chewing our fingernails for our Big *** Wings to get built. Try a ZO6 I believe it will be a lifetime love it was for me. Bought my first in 1984 LOVED them ever since

Last edited by duanesZ06; 08-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 test drive...

Old 08-07-2018, 03:56 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by duanesZ06
I guess it all depends on the Dealer, when I bought my C7 ZO6 I told the salesman I loved the car and he offered a test ride. Crazy, I thought, so me and my brother drove the car I even had to put gas in it. But a ZR1 probably not we all are waiting, chewing our fingernails for our Big *** Wings to get built. Try a ZO6 I believe it will be a lifetime love it was for me. Bought my first in 1984 LOVED them ever since
Yeah, I guess some will depend on a salesman's preliminary assessment, whether accurate or not. I drove into a Porsche dealer in our minivan, prepared to pay cash, and after about an hour of being totally ignored, I left.
We drove into a Cadillac dealer in a recent model Vette, and got a good laugh out of how several salesmen were either jogging or sprinting out the door to meet us.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:13 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I've driven a ZR1 and am undecided between it and a GT3 RS or a GT2 RS. I'm going to stop by my local P car dealer this afternoon to test drive them both before I make a decision. Pretty excited to see how they compare.
desmophile (08-10-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 04:25 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rikhek
I've driven a ZR1 and am undecided between it and a GT3 RS or a GT2 RS. I'm going to stop by my local P car dealer this afternoon to test drive them both before I make a decision. Pretty excited to see how they compare.
Ok... that’s funny. I really did laugh at your post.

Quick Reply: ZR1 test drive...