Motor Trend destroys the 2019 ZR1 - Page 6 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Motor Trend destroys the 2019 ZR1

Old 10-12-2018, 10:15 AM
jamesbeattie

I think you call it bonding with your car Thanks
Old 10-12-2018, 10:26 AM
desmophile
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jamesbeattie View Post
Often soon followed by bending with your car.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:29 AM
desmophile
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by village idiot View Post
Sport 1 is extremely limiting. Even Sport 2 is limiting. I'm a second or two faster in Race than Sport 2 and really good drivers are about a second faster with everything disabled than Race.
Agreed, but obviously not limiting enough for the OP
The Following User Says Thank You to desmophile For This Useful Post:
village idiot (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Varmit
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I drive a Superformance Cobra with a 630 hp 482 alum big block, that is what you get with a high horsepower vehicle, it jumps, dances, and laughs at you. Perhaps a Grand Sport would suite you better
Old 10-12-2018, 12:03 PM
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by falcon5619 View Post

Agreed. I had a 2016 Camaro SS and now have a C7 Stingray. Same motor and the Camaro put the power down much better. I attribute it to extra weight and possibly the coil over suspension vs leaf spring setup. All the reviews of the Camaro ZL1 seem to indicate that its chassis and extra heft tame the LT4 and enable it to put the power down much better.

I slip and slide in my base Stingray and hear the Z06 with so much low end torque makes it hard to put the power down but the Grand Sport gets praises for being the more balanced Corvette. That 460/465 in the LT1 matched to the Z06 chassis suspension and tire seem to be the sweet spot.
Most lessor cars do "put the power down better. The power to weight is less! You step up the power the power and it harder to put down. The Corvette z06 far out classes all the Camaro models.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:46 PM
rcgldr

Originally Posted by Rkreigh View Post
Never too much hp, only too little traction.
Because of limited traction, there's a point of diminishing returns in power to weight ration for the street. The real difference shows up at a drag strip or the faster road courses like VIR or Willow Springs GP. The C7 ZR1's stated 0 to 60 mph in 2.85 seconds, translates into about 0.96 g forward acceleration, so using that as the limits of traction, and using a manual 7 speed transmission for comparison, the ZR1 can maybe hook up or close to it in 2nd gear under the drag strip conditions for the 2.85 second number, but probably more like 3rd gear before it can hook up on a typical street. This would mean a C7 ZR1 would pull a C7 Z06 slightly in 2nd gear, but not really pull away until 3rd gear, so the Z06 and ZR1 would be close until around 90 to 100 mph (shift into 3rd with manual). The difference at VIR was Z06 2:39.77, top speed 154 mph (with the new calibrated suspension) vs ZR1 2:37.25, top speed 170 mph.

Motorcyles aren't traction limited, but they are wheelie limited. 0 to 60 mph times have been about the same (2.5 seconds, drag strip, pro rider) since around 2000, and most of the fastest bikes redline at around 80 mph in 1st gear (1999 Hayabusa, 2018 ZX14R, 2018 BMW S1000RR). Power to weight ratios translate into a Z06 with 900 to 1000 hp, and only expert riders are significantly faster with the 1000 cc bikes versus 750 cc bikes on most road courses.

Last edited by rcgldr; 10-12-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:08 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jamesbeattie View Post
More than a few of us would be disappointed if we stomped on it and it nothing extraordinary happened
I didn't buy a ZR for the 'snowflake" experience. Those complaining who haven't driven one or are relying on ridiculous fake news reviews need to go get a Kia and find a new Forum ...............................
The Following User Says Thank You to DebRedZR1 For This Useful Post:
desmophile (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:42 PM
desmophile
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rcgldr View Post
Because of limited traction, there's a point of diminishing returns in power to weight ration for the street. The real difference shows up at a drag strip or the faster road courses like VIR or Willow Springs GP. The C7 ZR1's stated 0 to 60 mph in 2.85 seconds, translates into about 0.96 g forward acceleration, so using that as the limits of traction, and using a manual 7 speed transmission for comparison, the ZR1 can maybe hook up or close to it in 2nd gear under the drag strip conditions for the 2.85 second number, but probably more like 3rd gear before it can hook up on a typical street. This would mean a C7 ZR1 would pull a C7 Z06 slightly in 2nd gear, but not really pull away until 3rd gear, so the Z06 and ZR1 would be close until around 90 to 100 mph (shift into 3rd with manual). The difference at VIR was Z06 2:39.77, top speed 154 mph (with the new calibrated suspension) vs ZR1 2:37.25, top speed 170 mph.

Motorcyles aren't traction limited, but they are wheelie limited. 0 to 60 mph times have been about the same (2.5 seconds, drag strip, pro rider) since around 2000, and most of the fastest bikes redline at around 80 mph in 1st gear (1999 Hayabusa, 2018 ZX14R, 2018 BMW S1000RR). Power to weight ratios translate into a Z06 with 900 to 1000 hp, and only expert riders are significantly faster with the 1000 cc bikes versus 750 cc bikes on most road courses.
Mark Donahue on driving the Can Am 917/30 ".....My definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear"
Old 10-12-2018, 04:16 PM
range96
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1;15Uh Oh98147977
More than a few of us would be disappointed if we stomped on it and it nothing extraordinary happened
I didn't buy a ZR for the 'snowflake" experience. Those complaining who haven't driven one or are relying on ridiculous fake news reviews need to go get a Kia and find a new Forum ...............................
Uh, oh! I might have to rethink my offer to buy your car when you get your C8!

Just kidding, the offer still stands.
The Following User Says Thank You to range96 For This Useful Post:
DebRedZR1 (Yesterday)
Old 10-12-2018, 06:00 PM
traind
CF Member

Originally Posted by falcon5619 View Post

Agreed. I had a 2016 Camaro SS and now have a C7 Stingray. Same motor and the Camaro put the power down much better. I attribute it to extra weight and possibly the coil over suspension vs leaf spring setup. All the reviews of the Camaro ZL1 seem to indicate that its chassis and extra heft tame the LT4 and enable it to put the power down much better.

I slip and slide in my base Stingray and hear the Z06 with so much low end torque makes it hard to put the power down but the Grand Sport gets praises for being the more balanced Corvette. That 460/465 in the LT1 matched to the Z06 chassis suspension and tire seem to be the sweet spot.
My experience with the ZL1 showed great stability but it was only with some aggressive yet sane street driving.

I think the c7 sweet spot reference putting power down might be a modified, still NA GS with 550-600 hp and the more gradual torque curve of an NA engine. someone on this forum must have something like that?
Old 10-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Repo Pilot
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1 View Post

Get the participation trophies ready, Deb...
The Following User Says Thank You to Repo Pilot For This Useful Post:
DebRedZR1 (Yesterday)
Old 10-12-2018, 07:51 PM
tooold2race
CF Senior Member

What's that great line..... "What does a 'red neck' say before he dies..... Hey guys, watch this!"

That's usually preceded by the 'red neck' turning off the various traction control nannies. Note to those who think just because they can afford the Z, they can handle it... you're not nearly as good as you think you are!

Last edited by tooold2race; 10-12-2018 at 07:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tooold2race For This Useful Post:
DebRedZR1 (Yesterday)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Hib Halverson
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Izzy1000 View Post
When the new ZR1 was introduced every car magazine hailed it as the Corvette that destroys Super Cars. At VIR it blew the doors off the lap time. It seems like every few weeks something negative happens to ZR1. MT is right, the car makes tons of Horse Power, but it can't keep the tires on the road. Last week I tested a manual ZR1. We finally got some cooler weather in Orange County & I headed to the toll road. The entrance was a straight road which takes you to the Tollway. I was accelerating in 1st, shifted into 2nd and stepped on the throttle and all hell broke loose. The rear of the car literally jumped up & the rear moved to the right. Then it jumped all the way to the left. The ZR1 was in Sport1 and the electronics saved the car from doing a 360. Even on the toll road when in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd the tires continued to break free from the road under hard acceleration. A powerful engine with a mediocre suspension at best.
Cool ambient temperature.
Rear tires not warmed up.
A road surface which likely has inconsistent traction due to heavy use by all kinds of vehicles, surface wear and varying degrees of "slickness" caused by lubricants leaking out of vehicles.

You were "road testing" the acceleration ability in 1st and 2nd gear of a car having an engine which generates 715-lb/ft torque and then are "surprised" that the car wheel hops and wants to go sideways?!

I suggest that you're neither very smart and nor experienced in driving rear drive cars which lots of torque. If you bought a ZR-1, you get to go to Spring Mountain for free. My advice is to go though the school before you do any more impromptu "road tests" on tollway entrances.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hib Halverson For This Useful Post:
DebRedZR1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by range96 View Post
Uh, oh! I might have to rethink my offer to buy your car when you get your C8!

Just kidding, the offer still stands.
LOL, no plans to sell this BAMF or move to a C8 anytime soon. The car is a BLAST to drive. No one should be doing anything stupid to enjoy!

The Following User Says Thank You to DebRedZR1 For This Useful Post:
dgerstel (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
range96
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1 View Post
LOL, no plans to sell this BAMF or move to a C8 anytime soon. The car is a BLAST to drive. No one should be doing anything stupid to enjoy!
The reason I offered because you picked all the right options! It is a BLAST, you don't need to convince me, rode with Poor-sha on the track...
Enjoy your beautiful car.
Old Today, 09:51 AM
keagan
CF Senior Member

Default MT Article: GT2RS vs ZR1

Old Today, 11:03 AM
vetteLT193
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Doesn't work in Chrome but does in IE. not a very glowing review of the Z.
Old Today, 12:24 PM
serpent
CF Member

Would've been nice if GM made the ZR1 headlights sleeker. Just something to differentiate it from the other C7 cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to serpent For This Useful Post:
keagan (Today)
Old Today, 01:37 PM
desmophile
CF Senior Member

Great! Now everybody will be running down to their Porsche Dealers, scooping up those GT2RSs, and prices for ZR1 will plummet and I can afford one. Yeah, I know I will be trailing a pack of GT2RSs at HPDE, but what the heck.
Old Today, 03:05 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

That article was awful. Not because of the car reviews, but because he spent more time forcing uninteresting tid-bits about his washed up and unremarkable racing career into the review than writing about these two cars.

He doesn't address the transmission differences (A8 vs PDK7) and weight differences which are pretty much responsible for just about everything he can't explain (except maybe the snap oversteer). He honestly has to be the dumbest racer ever if he can't figure out that the ZR1 brake fluid is the problem. They're the same exact brakes as the Z07 he loves. They're great on the street. The pedal collapses on the track. They're carbon ceramic so the pads/rotors aren't overheating. GEE I WONDER.

This, in a nutshell, is why you don't trust magazine reviews- good or bad.

Last edited by village idiot; Today at 03:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: