C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How many C7 ZR1's will be made?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:09 PM
DARTH VETTER
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C
Most new model pre-builds are built on the same line as the old models. I've been in manufacturing for 20 years. It's not hard to build multiple models or new vs. old. It's called flexible manufacturing. All the OEM's do it. Sometimes they even build the "classic" models at the same time to keep the volumes up especially in the truck market. GM does not care about one year rarity or resale values, they build products to make money. ZR1's are highly profitable and can be build next to a base C8 for a while until the performance model C8's come out.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:28 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Lot of them for sale used most with miles and over MSRP.. Some guys are still trying to flip them for few extra bucks.
Not sure how many are 'lots' but once the dust settles I believe you will find many in permanent collections such as the aforementioned '96 grand sport and in the garages of those that go to the track.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:51 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

If GM has orders they will build ! They are in the business of selling cars are they not? As far as value in the future this is not a daily driver. The car should have had air suspension to low in front and i am not going to change my approach ramp to my Castle!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:47 AM
propete
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
The current production numbers extrapolated to include all 13 months of 2019 MY production would put the total number of units right at 2000. If the production slow-down you mention is correct, which is very plausible considering holidays, weather, etc., you may be right at 1500 total units. That would also explain the several reports of GM cancelling promised allocations to dealers. If I'm not mistaken, the initial target was 2000-2500 units for 2019 and I am pretty sure the individual allocation numbers provided to dealers in early Dec 2017 were based on that target.
What does the "MY" stand for?.....mid year?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:21 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by propete
What does the "MY" stand for?.....mid year?
Model Year
Old 10-23-2018, 09:47 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

Does anyone have any info on the production halt? Anyone's TPW been pushed back recently, or any inside info from BG? From a few posts on this forum it sounds like there haven't been any ZR1s produced for almost a month? That will significantly impact the total production numbers... (not complaining tho lol)
Old 10-23-2018, 11:17 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Does anyone have any info on the production halt? Anyone's TPW been pushed back recently, or any inside info from BG? From a few posts on this forum it sounds like there haven't been any ZR1s produced for almost a month? That will significantly impact the total production numbers... (not complaining tho lol)
I dont have any info but i think they will produce a lot less in november an december due to holidays. This would be reduction on top of this recent delay.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Vetteexec
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Just for information mine was TPW of 10/1 and it was built by end of that week. Shipped end of last week so it's due soon at dealer. Been over 6 months from order to build and looks like 7 to delivery. Long wait but worth it.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteexec
Just for information mine was TPW of 10/1 and it was built by end of that week. Shipped end of last week so it's due soon at dealer. Been over 6 months from order to build and looks like 7 to delivery. Long wait but worth it.
It will be!!!!!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:27 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

I dont understand how some people get their cars sooner. If you look at a timeline of an order you have:

1. Place an order with the dealer
2. Dealer receives an allocation from GM and places an actual order with GM that has an assigned allocation
3. TPW is assigned
4. Car is built
5. Car is delivered

Surely with some exceptions aside 3,4,5 should be very consistent across all cars. What varies probably is 1,2. I suspect A LOT of you placed orders with dealers that actually didnt have allocations. Just because a dealer sent you a print out of a GM order doesnt mean they actually had an allocation for which they placed an order against.

So when you are quoting times, you need to completely ignore the time it took up to dealer actually formally placing an order with GM workbench with an allocation.

As such, I highly doubt it took 6 months to go from allocation to TPW. What most likely happened is dealer didnt get an allocation for 5 months.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:30 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

Mine was on schedule. Had a TPW of 10/15, car was built 10/19, now waiting to get shipped. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Last edited by MustOBeenYellow2015Z; 10-23-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Mine was on schedule. Had a TPW of 10/15, car was built 10/19, now waiting to get shipped. Hope this clears up any confusion.
Thanks for the update. Where are all these production halt rumors coming from then? Seems like cars are rolling off the assembly line each week..
Old 10-23-2018, 10:58 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

I still have an 11/19/18 TPW it has not been moved at all.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

I just can't understand if they cut dealers allocations and no more are being issued why a few on here keep hanging on to a 2020 MY ZR1. I guess they are going to start building them for any order they get after we have all waited 6 month's or more to get one.LOL Come on people!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2018, 08:21 AM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by musclesbmf
This sounds just like before when "there won't be a C7 ZR1... it'll be a Z06X" or whatever... Where do people come up with this stuff? Dealers are the worst informed of anybody when it comes to speculation of anything. Anyways, with that being said, I agree with there will be a 2020 model and I have no evidence of that except "GUT". The 2 new colors are just coming out and they are only available for 5 or 6 months? Doesn't make much sense to introduce new colors for such a short period, and it's not very cost effective for all the R&D that went into the ZR1 to only be 1 model.
Just my $0.02 which ain't worth much.

Mark
Those colors will roll over to the next model year or get cut if not doing the numbers they expect so those colors should not be exclusive to the C7. As I've said many times before there was not a ton of R&D that was put into the ZR1. Engine is the same 6.2 only with bigger blower. Aero upgrades had some R&D I'm sure. From the A-pillars back pretty much the same car as the Z06. Suspension and cooling upgrades and that's pretty much it. New generation cars are where the real R&D dollars are spent..not in different trim levels.

Last edited by D'ZR1 Messiah; 10-24-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by D'ZR1 Messiah
Those colors will roll over to the next model year or get cut if not doing the numbers they expect so those colors should not be exclusive to the C7. As I've said many times before there was not a ton of R&D that was put into the ZR1. Engine is the same 6.2 only with bigger blower. Aero upgrades had some R&D I'm sure. From the A-pillars back pretty much the same car as the Z06. Suspension and cooling upgrades and that's pretty much it. New generation cars are where the real R&D dollars are spent..not in different trim levels.
The following users liked this post:
D'ZR1 Messiah (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 09:18 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by duanesZ06
I just can't understand if they cut dealers allocations and no more are being issued why a few on here keep hanging on to a 2020 MY ZR1. I guess they are going to start building them for any order they get after we have all waited 6 month's or more to get one.LOL Come on people!!!!!!!!!
That makes sense for now BUT when a model or color or wheel option is canceled isn't it accompanied by some documentation stating so? Can you explain that? I'd like to think demand was more than anticipated and they couldn't keep up but will ramp up when parts are made available. Maybe they will start building them for any order they get.

Get notified of new replies

To How many C7 ZR1's will be made?

Old 10-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by D'ZR1 Messiah
Don't spread false information. The engine is NOT the same 6.2 with a bigger blower. The fuel injection system is different, the crank is different, there is no cylinder deactivation, it has a different lube system, and the throttle body is different.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:17 PM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Don't spread false information. The engine is NOT the same 6.2 with a bigger blower. The fuel injection system is different, the crank is different, there is no cylinder deactivation, it has a different lube system, and the throttle body is different.
Apologies if I over simplified the engine and its components, but my point was that not much R&D went into the development of the ZR1.

Last edited by D'ZR1 Messiah; 10-24-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:34 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

This is pure speculation on my part but I suspect part of the ZR1 development was done as a “tribute” to the entire front engine reign of the Corvette. I dont believe they set out with the mission of making it some huge financial success but rather to make a statement with it. I would think the last thing they would want would be to build it for 3 years only to have to discount the last of them as the hi po C8’s would be coming along. Time will tell, but I think it will be a very low production car and only a 2019 model year.

Quick Reply: How many C7 ZR1's will be made?