C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Titanium pad backing plates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Titanium pad backing plates?

I have used pad backing plates like these (https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fr...06_p_6745.html) on my supercharged Z4 M Coupe and they made a noticeable difference in reducing fluid boil at hard braking tracks like California Speedway. My ZR1 will be built in January, and I'm collecting parts for it ahead of time. I will be daily driving it, but also tracking it on occasion (4-5 times/year). Considering that the ZR1 will be putting far more energy into its brakes than my M Coupe I expect that brake temp spikes will be higher and thus there will be more potential for boiling.

Questions:
1) Have any of you who track used Ti shims on your C7s? If so, what are your thoughts?
2) Is there any difference between the pad size of the Z06/07 and the ZR1?
3) Would there be any reason to get them for all 4 corners or just the fronts?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:20 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

1. Have not used them
2. Pad size same, material was updated
3. Get it for all 4 corners and let us know your experience with them

I would be a little skeptical about their effectiveness. Metal to metal contact would still remain, hence heat transfer would not be prevented. A thin titanium plate is an effective thermal barrier?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:27 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would try a few HPDE’s first. The Z07/ZR1 fron calipers have vented stainless pistons, rears appear to be nonvented stainless. Make sure the brake cooling ducts are installed, swap for Castrol SRF fluid and see how that does first.

Last edited by 64drvr; 12-12-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:17 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
I would be a little skeptical about their effectiveness. Metal to metal contact would still remain, hence heat transfer would not be prevented. A thin titanium plate is an effective thermal barrier?
-Titanium is a very poor conductor, that's why it is a good insulator. I forget the link now, as I got them years ago, but it listed (if memory is correct) appx. 40F drop in temp from the pad to the pistons using the thinner plates for Stoptech's ST40. In my M Coupe the plates made enough of a difference that I have zero fluid fade now, even at Cal Speedway's ROVAL which is very hard on brake temps. Prior to the plates I would get mild fluid fade braking after the infield straight after 1-2 hot laps, and occasionally in other areas.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:09 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I used them with a 15 Camaro 1LE that saw a lot of track time, it helps but wont replace full front to the spindle ducting, I'd get the thicker shims if you do, I got medium thickness and they warped like bananas after use and had to wonder how much they were actually conducting if they weren't all in contact, Another issue is that the shim thickness can impact getting a new set of pads in the caliper since there may not be enough clearance,
Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

With the pre 2017 brake cooling setup I never ran into any brake fluid boiling issues with my Z06/Z07. The fluid never boiled when the pads wore down enough to set off the pad wear warning at the end of a session at the Glen. I used to run titanium pads on my C5Z and C6Z but never felt I needed them with the C7.

In my opinion the CCM brakes work very well until you need to replace the rotors/pads. Once you see the high component prices you will understand why everybody switches to aftermarket racing brakes. You can get equivalent braking performance at a far lower consumable price using kits like the Essex AP Racing front and rear BBKs. It doesn't take much time to reach the break even point and then be ahead of the game from a cost standpoint.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Titanium pad backing plates?

Quick Reply: Titanium pad backing plates?