C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Who has done Xpel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 07:03 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts
Default Who has done Xpel?

Will be doing a full xpel wrap myself. I have my gt350 60% covered and it was the best money i spent. Ford has a very thin paint and a tendency to rust and is very hard to match the paint. Not sure how corvette is and not sure if xpel is excessive so looking for thoughts and feedback from owners.

Popular Reply

01-02-2019, 11:10 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
This is the exact opposite of my experience. Multiple rock chips through film, damaged paint and harder to clean film covered areas, even though the filmed and non-filmed surfaces are coated with ceramic coating. Everyone talks about the benefit of Xpel for resale purposes however its done virtually nothing to protect my paint from chips and there is NO WAY (even if it kept paint perfect) its making a $2500-$5000 difference at resale.... Not to mention I'm not interested in paying thousands of dollars to suffer through bubbles, chips, discoloration, and washing frustrations just to keep the car looking nice for the next guy!!
^^^ Now this boy makes sense. Great to see some honest opinion that goes against the status quo.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:53 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

I had mine Expel-ed from the A pillar forward and mirrors. I believe it to be a must on these cars I also have my Zo6 done. To me a necessary evil I prefer the paint look to PPF but I waited on my Zo6 and I did some fun laps at Talledega and that experience chipped the bumper so bad I had to have it painted it was covered with PPF as soon as the new paint cured.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:22 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

I did Xpel on mine, A pillars forward, and I’m not too impressed. The finish is fine but I’ve had three chips through the film. I am very cautious to not tailgate and stay away from trucks, etc. For what I paid for the film I could’ve repainted the bumper/fender multiple times... really hasn’t been worth it so far and I doubt I’ll do it again.
The following users liked this post:
Shinobi'sZ (01-10-2019)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:34 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I did Xpel on mine, A pillars forward, and I’m not too impressed. The finish is fine but I’ve had three chips through the film. I am very cautious to not tailgate and stay away from trucks, etc. For what I paid for the film I could’ve repainted the bumper/fender multiple times... really hasn’t been worth it so far and I doubt I’ll do it again.
I agree it defiantly is not rock proof I have a couple little chips on my Zo6. But I do believe it helps some it looks ok I have a couple tiny bubbles in it on both cars. I just like the look of paint not plastic I am very OCD about my cars though. You definitely have a point about the cost of just painting verses PPF.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:36 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

The question is, is it worth doing the full car. Before you say no, do consider that there are substantial amount of carbon fiber components, roof, wing, side skirts, which if damaged, unlike regular painted panels, would not be possible to be just repainted.

I have xpel ultimate on my gt350 everywhere except partial roof, trunk, rear bumper and after 37,000 miles and multiple very long road trips (including the last 2400 mile in the middle of december with all of the road debris), not a single chip except 1 door ding damage that xpel caught and saved the paint.

I’m looking at an extra $2,500 to do the full car.
XPEL (01-02-2019)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:42 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
The question is, is it worth doing the full car. Before you say no, do consider that there are substantial amount of carbon fiber components, roof, wing, side skirts, which if damaged, unlike regular painted panels, would not be possible to be just repainted.

I have xpel ultimate on my gt350 everywhere except partial roof, trunk, rear bumper and after 37,000 miles and multiple very long road trips (including the last 2400 mile in the middle of december with all of the road debris), not a single chip except 1 door ding damage that xpel caught and saved the paint.

I’m looking at an extra $2,500 to do the full car.
If you can do it all I believe I would. You can't do enough to protect your investment they really are awesome cars.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:03 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

I have 2 small pinhole tears on the film on my Z06 front bumper but I have 6700miles on it and I would use it again.

I just touched up or over of you will, the tears with clear touch up to keep it sealed up.

I cannot imagine how sandblasted my forward facing parts would be if it weren't for the Xpel.

especially the lower sides mirrors etc.

XPEL (01-02-2019)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:08 PM
All-Tex
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I did my whole car and have had no problems.
XPEL (01-02-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 07:30 AM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

I have Ultimate on mine with 6500 mi. from new. Anyone who drives their car will get damage eventually and have to live with a larger rock... penetrating the film. I have 2 pretty good size nicks on mine and just have to live with it and imagine how bad the chip would be without it. Touch up paint over the damage is about all you can do or replace the film.
XPEL (01-02-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:00 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Had it on my Z, as time went by, the Xpel parts did not look as great as the non covered parts, started to get some bubbles and chips. The Ceramic pro did not work with Expel and it was harder to clean those areas. It did save me a few times on some scuffs BUT it had to be removed, and re-applied. I have a good body shop guy who can fix things with less hassle. Tracked my C6ZR and paint was fine sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... ...............
MMD (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:24 AM
R356
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had PPF applied to my last three corvettes. Rubbed a high curb in my 2011 Grand Sport - figured there was no way the PPF was going to help in that situation, but after removing a section of heavily damaged PPF, paint was fine under - just had the PPF section replaced. I had about half my 2015 Z06 covered in PPF and held up great (I do about 2 to 4 track sessions a year). Had some deep small rips in the PPF on the front bumper but I was cautious to remove because it (PPF film) was applied over a color change vinyl wrap and I was concerned the color would peel up when replacing the PPF. The Gentlemen that I sold the Z06 to took on the project and was thrilled the PPF was able to be removed, while leaving the color vinyl fully intact (PPF did its job). My 2019 ZR1 is about 95% covered in Expel Ultimate. Since taking delivery late fall, I’ve only had one track day but it’s held up as expected.

As earlier comments have pointed out - PPF is expensive. I have been thru a number of bumper repaints on my earlier corvettes and while I have not done the math on the number of repaints to break-even against the PPF - the major reasons why I have chosen PPF: 1) corvette down time with paint process 2) aftermarket paint never to the quality of factory 3) and finally, while I never think I will ever sell any of my cars (5 sold corvettes later), it’s been much easier to remove worn PPF film to show a very good to great condition factory paint over a repaint when it comes to re-sale value.

Just sharing my experiences, understanding not all are alike . Sorry about the length of the replay but hope this helps. Wish you the best on your decision.

One last note - if you do go with PPF, find a quality installer. No different than seeking out a reputable paint shop.
XPEL (01-02-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 12:15 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Will be doing a full xpel wrap myself. I have my gt350 60% covered and it was the best money i spent. Ford has a very thin paint and a tendency to rust and is very hard to match the paint. Not sure how corvette is and not sure if xpel is excessive so looking for thoughts and feedback from owners.
Ford's paint is about 5 to 8 mils thick. It's not much different than most other manufacturers. This paint thickness is not really much of a justification for installing PPF. I see so many people boasting of the protection they will receive when they are purchasing a PPF. This belief is unjustified. If you spend a lot of time on busy highways in very busy urbans areas with billions of trucks and road construction you may be in for a surprise just how ineffective PPF can be. I have been on busy Interstate highways where 18 wheel trucks tires explode and also have had their rethreaded tires unravel at 80 miles an hour. If you are nearby in your vehicle your PPF will provide no help. I also had experienced a gravel truck flying by my vehicle spewing gravel at 80 MPH. So much debris had fallen off this uncovered truck. Numerous stones 2 and 3 inches long peppered my Boss 302 Mustang shattering my front windshield and peppered the entire front end of the car with gouges and chips that went down to bare steel. Headlamps shattered. If I had 3 layers of PPF it would not have helped. My insurance company was saddled with having to pay $6,000 to restore all the damage as I was unable to catch the culprit.. This story is not that uncommon. If you live in an area where there are quarries, or lots of road construction, or numerous 18 wheel rigs and sand trucks you probably know what I am talking about. So my lesson, at least to me, is if you DD your vehicle forget the PPF. If your vehicle experiences paint damage, and chances are high it will at some point in its lifetime, deal with it. Get it repaired. Chances are high PPF will not get the job done. However if you are overly obsessive about your car you should not be driving it. Leave in the garage and just use it to take pictures.

Last edited by MMD; 12-31-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:03 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

This will be my 5th Corvette getting 100% wrapped, have several of my other cars 100% wrapped as well, it's expensive but to me it's worth it, makes resale simple when there are no chips in the paint, and makes the car very easy to keep clean, hose off the dust, blow off the water, hit with detail spray, and it looks like you spent hours, when you spent minutes.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Originally Posted by hcvone
This will be my 5th Corvette getting 100% wrapped, have several of my other cars 100% wrapped as well, it's expensive but to me it's worth it, makes resale simple when there are no chips in the paint, and makes the car very easy to keep clean, hose off the dust, blow off the water, hit with detail spray, and it looks like you spent hours, when you spent minutes.
This is the exact opposite of my experience. Multiple rock chips through film, damaged paint and harder to clean film covered areas, even though the filmed and non-filmed surfaces are coated with ceramic coating. Everyone talks about the benefit of Xpel for resale purposes however its done virtually nothing to protect my paint from chips and there is NO WAY (even if it kept paint perfect) its making a $2500-$5000 difference at resale.... Not to mention I'm not interested in paying thousands of dollars to suffer through bubbles, chips, discoloration, and washing frustrations just to keep the car looking nice for the next guy!!

Last edited by HTXSkydiver; 01-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by HTXSkydiver:
DebRedZR1 (01-02-2019), MMD (01-02-2019), propete (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM
MMD
Safety Car

^^^ Now this boy makes sense. Great to see some honest opinion that goes against the status quo.
The following 6 users liked this post by MMD:
DebRedZR1 (01-02-2019), HTXSkydiver (01-02-2019), IZR1 (01-02-2019), propete (01-02-2019), VetterFlyer (01-04-2019), Xvoyager (01-03-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:21 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Are you sure you had xpel ultimate? Xpel had other products that werent as good.

A simple respray of a front bumper or another body panel, if done right, with paint blending will easily cost $1500-2000. And you can easily find yourself in a situation where you are respraying it and in a week, its in bad shape again. I have had multiple experiences with reputable body shops with multiple car brands. Its not as good as you may think and even after paying all of that the end result wont be like factory.

Xpel’s film is extremely rigid and I honestly dont see how one can have multiple punctures on it. Its so rigid that a friend of mine scraped his entire front bumper while parking only to realize paint underneath was unharmed.

Also in an expensive car such as ZR1, it will make a difference in resale maybe not for the price but for the sale to go through. If two zr1s are on market and one has full xpel and other has none, the full xpel car will sell quicker.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 01-02-2019 at 11:24 AM.
XPEL (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:31 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Are you sure you had xpel ultimate? Xpel had other products that werent as good.

A simple respray of a front bumper or another body panel, if done right, with paint blending will easily cost $1500-2000. And you can easily find yourself in a situation where you are respraying it and in a week, its in bad shape again. I have had multiple experiences with reputable body shops with multiple car brands. Its not as good as you may think and even after paying all of that the end result wont be like factory.

Xpel’s film is extremely rigid and I honestly dont see how one can have multiple punctures on it. Its so rigid that a friend of mine scraped his entire front bumper while parking only to realize paint underneath was unharmed.
100% sure it is Xpel Ultimate. The install was done by an established and well respected shop in Houston. They won the Xpel award for top Texas installer for 2017. If you don't believe Xpel can be punctured you are welcome to come inspect my car lol. I asked the owner of the shop and he said it was absolutely possible to puncture/rip the film and that its not "infallible" as most people like you believe. Bottom line, if these cars are driven they will be struck by debris and damaged whether they're filmed or not. Just depends on whether you want to spend thousands of dollars on a prevention "solution" that gets mixed reviews as shown on this thread. Personally, I'll save my money next time and repaint if I need to. The argument of not being able to match GM's paint is bogus btw lol. Not hard for a decent paint shop and there are TONS in the fourth largest US city...
The following 2 users liked this post by HTXSkydiver:
IZR1 (01-02-2019), MMD (01-02-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Who has done Xpel?

Old 01-02-2019, 11:38 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

100% sure it is Xpel Ultimate. The install was done by an established and well respected shop in Houston. They won the Xpel award for top Texas installer for 2017. If you don't believe Xpel can be punctured you are welcome to come inspect my car lol. I asked the owner of the shop and he said it was absolutely possible to puncture/rip the film and that its not "infallible" as most people like you believe. Bottom line, if these cars are driven they will be struck by debris and damaged whether they're filmed or not. Just depends on whether you want to spend thousands of dollars on a prevention "solution" that gets mixed reviews as shown on this thread. Personally, I'll save my money next time and repaint if I need to. The argument of not being able to match GM's paint is bogus btw lol. Not hard for a decent paint shop and there are TONS in the fourth largest US city...
I have 37,000 miles on my gt350 and xpel since mile 400. Not a single puncture and no discoloration. Every time I wash it looks new and covered vs noncovered areas are identical. I even took 2x2400 mile road trips crossing 7 states and had no problems and I had a fair bit of loud “bangs” of rocks hitting the body.

One issue with not having xpel is how easily clear coat scratches even if you are super careful. Parts of my car that are not xpel covered is full of swirls and deep clear coat scratches. I regret not paying for it from the get go.

Painting a panel is a lot of work. Paint will match I never said it wont but it will require other panels to be painted and remember you can be back to square one in 24 hours.
XPEL (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:53 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Are you sure we're not related?
The following 2 users liked this post by MMD:
DebRedZR1 (01-02-2019), HTXSkydiver (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:31 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Same here, I have Ultimate and have a 18 Lexus with 6500 on the clock. I have at least 3 punctures on the front. I keep my distance from most all vehicles especially trucks. I don't care what kind of film you have, if you drive it, it will get punctured eventually. I do like the product vs. not having any protection at all. The gloss on the film is fantastic.
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
MMD (01-02-2019), XPEL (01-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Who has done Xpel?