C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 04:11 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

^^^
No one disputed the ESP oil being OK. The question is, is the non-Dexos 2 oil ok for the ZR1 (aside from the lack of protection for the cats)?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:28 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
​​​​​​​Speaking of pompus asses, I think the award goes to the poster that turns nasty when they're found to be wrong. You made an error and got called on it. Get over it.
Actually the award always goes to who's first and that was you. If one gets nasty then it's very hard not to hit back.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
^^^
No one disputed the ESP oil being OK. The question is, is the non-Dexos 2 oil ok for the ZR1 (aside from the lack of protection for the cats)?
The "non-Dexos" certification means that it DOES NOT meet the requirements set out by GM for warranty... thus you're literally giving GM an "out" if anything happens to your engine they simply have to point out that you failed to use an oil product that meets or exceeds their required standards. GM has made it pretty clear in the various material I've read and what I've been told by GM reps and Mobil 1 reps (at this past years Canadian IMSA race) that the Eurpean (non-Dexos) and the new GM version (Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2) are NOT the same formulas and that use of the non-Dexos version does not meet the required standards for the C7 corvettes.

Of course it's your car and you can do what you want and use what you want... but is it really worth taking a chance that GM won't warranty your engine because you decided to buy a cheaper version oil?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Questar
The "non-Dexos" certification means that it DOES NOT meet the requirements set out by GM for warranty... thus you're literally giving GM an "out" if anything happens to your engine they simply have to point out that you failed to use an oil product that meets or exceeds their required standards. GM has made it pretty clear in the various material I've read and what I've been told by GM reps and Mobil 1 reps (at this past years Canadian IMSA race) that the Eurpean (non-Dexos) and the new GM version (Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2) are NOT the same formulas and that use of the non-Dexos version does not meet the required standards for the C7 corvettes.

Of course it's your car and you can do what you want and use what you want... but is it really worth taking a chance that GM won't warranty your engine because you decided to buy a cheaper version oil?
I do not have a '19 ZR1 or a horse in this race. My lowly '10 ZR1 is totally happy with that 'crappy' European Mobil 1 5W-30. Apparently, the C7 Z06 was very happy without the Dexos 2 oil until GM started to require it (same engine). C7 ZR1 owners have 2 free oil changes, so this discussion is a moot point until you get about 10,000 miles on the car. Hopefully, by then it will cost less than $100 for this super oil that is almost as expensive as fine brandy.

As I typed this reply to you my Aunt rang me from Toronto. She said they've been having a relatively mild winter. I hope that gives you a little chance to rack up some miles on yours!

Last edited by range96; 01-17-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:07 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
What is frustrating about these oil threads is that they are often discussed at length, and good information is provided, and yet all too short a time goes by and the misinformation creeps back in and we're back at it again.

The Mobil 1 link you provided is not the product data sheets for the oils you are discussing. Those are only consumer information charts. The link you provided is not discussing the chemistry, and so your point is not proven. Furthermore, you are incorrect basing your argument on the Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) anti-wear additive in motor oil. While zinc has been the is the most commonly used anti-wear additive, it is by no means the only additive that may be used. By not examining the chemistry, you cannot make a claim on inadequate anti-wear additive.

It should be instructive that in the big thread here on the Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2, our resident petroleum engineer could find noting intrinsically wrong with the oil except that he was unsure about the life of the viscosity index improvers on long drain intervals. That was all. It is also instructive to note that the oil fanatics over at bobistheoilguy have had nothing bad to say about the Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 chemistry. We will only know about any shortfalls in the viscosity or TBN numbers after people run and post their oil analysis.

To conclude; You can only make a sound verdict on oil if you know the chemistry. The oil companies will provide some limited public information on viscosity, pour points, and volatility, but little on chemistry. The only way to really know the chemistry of the additives is to spring for a VOA (best) or UOA test yourself and post the results. Otherwise we rely on our petroleum industry members and lubrication enthusiasts here or on bobistheoilguy that do post information or results. From what I've seen, the Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 is superior to the European oil for our engines, especially for the Noack volatility numbers. I will continue to use and recommend Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 for the C7 Corvettes.
True words. Some try to lend correct and timely information to others that want to know what is appropriate and then someone else comes along behind and suggests something that is entirely wrong. So, where does one go for the correct information? The owners manual should have been included with the vehicle. If not, buy one and follow it. Oils have gotten much more sophisticated as of late so don't try to second guess the manufacturers' requirements.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I love all the know it all's who quote a bunch of text, but really don't provide any factual data.

Ultimately run whichever oil you like, but the Mobil 1 pdf provided shares better wear additives (at least published) than the Dexos 2 product, and the Dexos 2 product highlights its benefits on emissions equipment, also an inclination that it is more focused on saving the cats vs the engine.

It's probably splitting hairs... Both are far better than the prior years lower viscosity.

The European formula has been around for quite some time, and frankly it's wear additives were also reduced a couple years back when they introduced the FS container.

It'd be great to get a detailed analysis on the differences between the two. Maybe an expert can do that for us at some point.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 01-17-2019, 07:56 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

It's not just the oil specs so much as they exist but the needs of all the bearings and surface requirements in the engine. Superchargers, turbo chargers (remember chrysler and dodge back in the sixties), you name it. Don't focus on just one thing. The engineers that designed the engine and accessories probably know a little more than all the internet geniuses.

Quick Reply: Oil