Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 ZR1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 AM
carsnpars
CF Senior Member

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

Just saw your other post. Take it back! You'll never be happy!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM
rob62
CF Senior Member

Liked 418 Times in 297 Posts

Thank you for posting and I hope this works out to 100% of your satisfaction. Lesson learned to guys taking delivery soon. Inspect in daylight , eyes and hands, glasses on, wife, girlfriend, buddy doing the same. This is why I want to take the drive to pick up my car instead of having it shipped .
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts

Do I understand that you have had the car 2 months? If you could give us the last four digits of your VIN perhaps others that had vehicles made that same week may have some insight for you. Difficult to believe that the vehicle ever left the plant like that. It would seem more likely that someone down the line from the plant made a few 'corrections' to an accident before you took delivery. Of course, I assume you have chased this all the way back to GM to find out the history of this vehicle to see what may have gone wrong and by whom.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 AM
ShagVette
CF Senior Member

Liked 208 Times in 121 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ View Post
Bowling green has always had a bad report card when it comes to quality control, seems like some things never change, make them give you a new car.
This is why I'm worried about the C8 having so much technology.

This paint should've never left BG, and then the dealer should've never even tried to sell it.

What # is this one? was it a recent build or...?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:48 AM
09Z06pj
CF Senior Member

Liked 450 Times in 405 Posts

OP, If your ZR1 left Bowling Green in that condition, then who ever signed off on it needs to be gone. Period! There's no way it was even remotely inspected for quality if it came from the plant like that. NFW!
Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 PM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NytmereZ View Post
Bowling green has always had a bad report card when it comes to quality control, seems like some things never change, make them give you a new car.
I must have missed those news flashes. Please direct me.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 PM
ShagVette
CF Senior Member

Liked 208 Times in 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon View Post
I must have missed those news flashes. Please direct me.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lack-zr1s.html
Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 1,163 Times in 626 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by SouthernSon View Post
Do I understand that you have had the car 2 months? If you could give us the last four digits of your VIN perhaps others that had vehicles made that same week may have some insight for you. Difficult to believe that the vehicle ever left the plant like that. It would seem more likely that someone down the line from the plant made a few 'corrections' to an accident before you took delivery. Of course, I assume you have chased this all the way back to GM to find out the history of this vehicle to see what may have gone wrong and by whom.
I know of a few hood issues. In two months what have you done and where do things stand?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 PM
DaveFerrari458
CF Senior Member

Liked 185 Times in 132 Posts

There's got to be a backstory to this.....maybe some of the panels were repainted at the plant or dealership. Regardless, to those that go to the Bash should bring quality issues like these to Tadge and higher powers and hear their replies and answers.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 PM
samgauto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458 View Post
There's got to be a backstory to this.....maybe some of the panels were repainted at the plant or dealership. Regardless, to those that go to the Bash should bring quality issues like these to Tadge and higher powers and hear their replies and answers.
I agree. I find it hard to believe that left BGA like that. I am wondering if, sometime between release of the car at the plant, and final delivery to the customer, that something was accidentally damaged and an area needed to be repainted and this was not disclosed to the owner. Years ago at my family dealership, I remember taking a Pontiac Fiero in trade that an owner had bought new. During trade in appraisal, I found numerous tight tape lines around moldings on the car as well as some small pieces of oversprayed masking tape. The owner was adamant that her car never had paint work as she was the only owner. After contacting the selling dealer where she bought the car new, it was leaned that the car was damaged accidentally by a falling chain on the car carrier and then immediately painted to correct. The first buyer was never informed of this fact when the car was sold to her.

Last edited by samgauto; 01-11-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 PM
SilveradoSS500
CF Senior Member

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Iíve done some poking...many parties are aware. There a few other black ones that have different colors like mine but they arenít as bad as my car. This car was delivered like this and I was on the horn hours later about the paint, itís not always noticeable but itís there!

Iíve been having fun with the car, trying not to hate it. Itís just gotten to a point where I felt that I should share with our community as Iím a massive Corvette fan. I have a 2015 Z07 and 2004 LS7 C5 Z06...

Hereís the deal and my glass half full approach, more I think about it...I donít believe BG is capable of producing an ďamazingĒ paint job. Iím very **** about my cars and if I can be involved with the repainting process of the whole car, I bet I could get this thing looking better than any other black ZR1. CLEARLY this is not ideal but Iíve been thinking about it for the past 6 weeks or so...also traveling for work blah blah. Been busy! It was a customer delivery car so itís also complicated to just return it...I looked into it. Iím having fun with it and I kindoff just make fun of the car. But itís time I get proactive and figure this out, because itís iust not right. My dealership does have a really nice brand new paint facility...which is local, I know cars and paint...it might not be the worst solution. I could have a thicker, nicer paint job. Itís not like Iím changing the color and this thing comes apart decently quick.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback.
The following users liked this post: SilveradoSS500
DebRedZR1 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 PM
SublimeZ06
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-chevro...***-1831345121

Youíre not the only one with this problem. How do these cars pass a quality inspection?

Iím embarrassed for GM given the spin and the price point in this car.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 PM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Nymerez posts (in #20) that BWG has alwaya had a bad report card on quality so I ask him to please direct me to those sources and you post this one complaint from the forum?? Seriously?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 PM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458 View Post
Yeah, but it is easier just to post complaints here that don't involve actual details for the "rest of the story". Is it even remotely feasible that someone can incur such shoddy workmanship without going back to the plant or GM corporate for resolution? I think not.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 AM
638HP
CF Senior Member

Liked 69 Times in 30 Posts

OP, I feel your pain and respect your approach to resolving your situation. I as well have a black ZTK Z which the paint and carbon components are spot on. I would recommend contacting BGA Plant Manager Kai Spande. I had the pleasure of meeting him twice, during my engine build and upon NCM delivery . He is a stand up guy and confident he will set the appropriate direction for an acceptable resolution. All the best.
The following users liked this post: 638HP
DebRedZR1 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM
BearZ06
CF Senior Member

Liked 191 Times in 145 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 638HP View Post
OP, I feel your pain and respect your approach to resolving your situation. I as well have a black ZTK Z which the paint and carbon components are spot on. I would recommend contacting BGA Plant Manager Kai Spande. I had the pleasure of meeting him twice, during my engine build and upon NCM delivery . He is a stand up guy and confident he will set the appropriate direction for an acceptable resolution. All the best.
They won't do anything at the plant except tell you to open a warranty claim. Years ago they would help but it's a different story now and they will refer you to your dealer.

Last edited by BearZ06; 01-12-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:35 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 1,163 Times in 626 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BearZ06 View Post
They won't do anything at the plant except tell you to open a warranty claim. Years ago they would help but it's a different story now and they will refer you to your dealer.
Who should open an RO. The hoods are painted at a different facility making Vin info is helpful. The General does need a better process to help people who need it.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Vernon
CF Senior Member

Liked 183 Times in 151 Posts

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500 View Post
Iíve done some poking...many parties are aware. There a few other black ones that have different colors like mine but they arenít as bad as my car. This car was delivered like this and I was on the horn hours later about the paint, itís not always noticeable but itís there!

Iíve been having fun with the car, trying not to hate it. Itís just gotten to a point where I felt that I should share with our community as Iím a massive Corvette fan. I have a 2015 Z07 and 2004 LS7 C5 Z06...

Hereís the deal and my glass half full approach, more I think about it...I donít believe BG is capable of producing an ďamazingĒ paint job. Iím very **** about my cars and if I can be involved with the repainting process of the whole car, I bet I could get this thing looking better than any other black ZR1. CLEARLY this is not ideal but Iíve been thinking about it for the past 6 weeks or so...also traveling for work blah blah. Been busy! It was a customer delivery car so itís also complicated to just return it...I looked into it. Iím having fun with it and I kindoff just make fun of the car. But itís time I get proactive and figure this out, because itís iust not right. My dealership does have a really nice brand new paint facility...which is local, I know cars and paint...it might not be the worst solution. I could have a thicker, nicer paint job. Itís not like Iím changing the color and this thing comes apart decently quick.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback.
Sounds like youíre going to have some fun wet sanding and polishing your newly painted ZR1...and making it your baby. And I say this in a fully complimentary way.

Enjoy learning all the lines, curves, and textures of your ZR1.

When available, Iíd love to see the ďafterĒ photos.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:53 AM
hcvone
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 407 Times in 320 Posts

WOW sorry to see and hear about this, that is just bad, I hope they do something for you.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 AM
vetteLT193
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 117 Times in 73 Posts

That is nuts. The hood and the top are black and the rest of the car is dark gray.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: