C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 shipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts
Default ZR1 shipping

Are ZR1 shipped by rail, or exclusively by truck? The reason I ask is that I am trying to time my ZR1's arrival with a trip, but of course GM can't give an estimated arrival window. I was told by another owner that it's possible to monitor your Corvette by tracking the rail car number, which could at least add some info. But GM told my dealer today that Corvettes are only shipped by truck. I figure this forum probably knows more than GM publicly discloses. I do know that my ZR1 is currently bayed in KS, just trying to figure out how long it'll be until it reaches SoCal.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:10 PM
JDogg
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Truck for the 48 states here. Depends on the truck that services your area. The drivers are pretty much dedicated to an area or route.

Kentucky to California is a 3 day drive once the truck leaves. If you just missed the truck, it could be a week or more before it ships.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:11 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by JDogg
Truck for the 48 states here. Depends on the truck that services your area. The drivers are pretty much dedicated to an area or route.

Kentucky to California is a 3 day drive once the truck leaves. If you just missed the truck, it could be a week or more before it ships.
- Well, mine is bayed in Kansas (KS), not Kentucky. So don't know where that leaves me in estimating.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:22 PM
AD2386
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
- Well, mine is bayed in Kansas (KS), not Kentucky. So don't know where that leaves me in estimating.
I have never heard of a vehicle bayed in Kansas. I would say someone gave you wrong info. It has to be at the plant if the vehicle is awaiting transportation.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:25 PM
AD2386
Racer

Originally Posted by Palantirion
Are ZR1 shipped by rail, or exclusively by truck? The reason I ask is that I am trying to time my ZR1's arrival with a trip, but of course GM can't give an estimated arrival window. I was told by another owner that it's possible to monitor your Corvette by tracking the rail car number, which could at least add some info. But GM told my dealer today that Corvettes are only shipped by truck. I figure this forum probably knows more than GM publicly discloses. I do know that my ZR1 is currently bayed in KS, just trying to figure out how long it'll be until it reaches SoCal.
For all other C7 it depends on where the vehicle is going. I know for west cost it goes by rail first to a depot. Then the trucks pick up and deliver to the dealers.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:27 PM
AD2386
Racer

Originally Posted by JDogg

I have never heard of that before. I know to California it gets shipped by rail first, then trucks pick up and deliver to the dealer.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:06 PM
TON C7S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AD2386

I have never heard of that before. I know to California it gets shipped by rail first, then trucks pick up and deliver to the dealer.
This is correct for C7, I can’t imagine ZR1 being anything different.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:56 AM
aaslanmd
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Palantirion, I'm in CA also + awaiting mine (TPW Feb 4) + I recall some guys were tracking their ZRs during shipment via OnStar with the help of Chevy/their dealer... Don't know if this'll help you though. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:35 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by aaslanmd
Hi Palantirion, I'm in CA also + awaiting mine (TPW Feb 4) + I recall some guys were tracking their ZRs during shipment via OnStar with the help of Chevy/their dealer... Don't know if this'll help you though. Good luck!
Some do go by rail first. Onstar was being activated by dealers to assist in tracking the car however it is highly FROWNED upon as people could start, lock, unlock the cars etc causing issues. Ask me how I know
Another issue there should be more info avail for owners/dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
aaslanmd (01-22-2019), Repo Pilot (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by debredzr1
ask me how i know
lMAO...
Old 01-22-2019, 05:04 PM
aaslanmd
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks Deb, those possibilities never occurred to me.
I'm sure there's a great/funny story attached to that experience, if you'd care to share...

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 shipping

Quick Reply: ZR1 shipping