C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

First track days

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Dan Massie
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default First track days

I'm registered for my first track weekend at Porsche St. Louis High Performance Driver Education event at Gateway, first weekend of April. Was happy to confirm that my convertible has acceptable factory rollover protection and won't need to add anything. Still need a race seat, not for safety, but for head/helmet clearance.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Interesting, NCCC does not allow convertibles without rollbars for high speed events.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-07-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:34 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Interesting, NCCC does not allow convertibles without rollbars for high speed events.
The Big *** wing...
Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Massie
I'm registered for my first track weekend at Porsche St. Louis High Performance Driver Education event at Gateway, first weekend of April. Was happy to confirm that my convertible has acceptable factory rollover protection and won't need to add anything. Still need a race seat, not for safety, but for head/helmet clearance.
I'm a bit confused. What factory roll over protection does c7 convertibles have? Do the C7's now have pop-up hoops to project the occupants in the event of a roll-over?
Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Dan Massie
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know either. I got in touch with the guy that runs the club and he said that my car is good to go as is. That's all I need to know
Old 02-11-2019, 12:21 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't know either. I got in touch with the guy that runs the club and he said that my car is good to go as is. That's all I need to know
Okay, well post pics when you get the seat & belts installed. I'm interested to see how this will turn out as I've never seen and corvette convertible on the track before. I was under the impression that without major modifications they are not allowed due to safety concerns. Lastly I'm not sure if this applies to your event but the events I run require both seats to be equivalent meaning you'll have to install a seat and harness in the passenger side as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Ron Fellows ZR1 owners school at Spring Mtn Jan 25 &26. I just had the pics emailed to me today and noticed that in corner 9 I have pulled the left front off the pavement. Sunlight under it. The cars grip level absolutely amazed me. If you haven’t signed up yet, please do. You won’t regret it. Find out where the cars limits are safely.

The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:55 AM
Lacquer
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 159 Posts

Cool picture, GREAT SCHOOL!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

That's a great pic but, the tire isn't off the pavement. The break in the shadow is the light going between the trailing edge of the splitter and the front of the tire, shining down. The shadow of the tire, attached to the ground can be seen as sun goes beneath the forward outer edge of the tire. The ZR1 won't lift a tire, there is plenty of chassis compliance and droop. When you see cars lifting front tire, it's a combination of a lot of roll stiffness and a twisting chassis...i.e. usually on older race cars. ZR1's aren't lifting inside tires, nor would you want it to.
Questar (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:19 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
That's a great pic but, the tire isn't off the pavement. The break in the shadow is the light going between the trailing edge of the splitter and the front of the tire, shining down. The shadow of the tire, attached to the ground can be seen as sun goes beneath the forward outer edge of the tire. The ZR1 won't lift a tire, there is plenty of chassis compliance and droop. When you see cars lifting front tire, it's a combination of a lot of roll stiffness and a twisting chassis...i.e. usually on older race cars. ZR1's aren't lifting inside tires, nor would you want it to.
Until I got pictures from an event at VIR I never felt the right side leaving the pavement. In my C5 both inside tires were lifting from the pavement completely at the top of the uphill esses at something a little less than 120mph. This, without a cage but still a pretty good oem rigid frame. As I said, never noticed it so I suppose the R6's on the left side were holding fairly well.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

. You are correct!!! I got faked out. Haha.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Well they can lift all four wheels off the ground

Lavender (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
. It sure does!!!! And it shows how much suspension travel was necessary at that point as well. Fantastic photo!!! No optical illusions here.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

is registration still open for the April event. Could only find may event and it’s not open for registration until mid March.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:07 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I think you better plan on taking another car or making some changes to your car. Here are the PCA Rules for the event you are attending as listed on the Motorsportreg.com website:

Open Cars: Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for Porsche Club of America Driver Education events. In these cars the soft-top must be in the up position or the hard top installed. If the top is in the down position, an SFI and/or FIA approved arm restraint system* must be used. If a car DOES NOT have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules.

The person you talked to must not have realized you are not bringing a coupe. Even if they did let you participate you more than likely wouldn't get any instructors that will ride with you.

Bill
Old 02-14-2019, 09:49 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
That is just an AWESOME pic.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:05 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

OP I also agree you better have a good Plan B. I don't think they will let you track your Z as it sits now. Whatever you were told must have just been a mistake. I go to many of these events and that's safety rule #1 for Vert's. I've never seen them deviate from that at all.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Laps Inc let me track my C6 Callaway Grand Sport Vert a few years back at RA (to my surprise). No roll protection of any kind. Now I notice on Road America’s site for their own sponsored HPDE days, roll cages are required in drop tops. I think there may be different rules by different event sponsors. I must admit I felt a little foolish going a buck and a half with nothing but an umbrella over my head.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 02-14-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To First track days

Quick Reply: First track days