C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

World's first tuned C7 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 03:43 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

I saw that Race Proven Motorsports said they can tune the C7 ZR1 also. I think it posted a few days ago. I wonder if it's only certain shops that HP Tuners will let do them..
Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2z06
I’ll be tuning for sure. Dsteck do you offer a flex fuel conversion for the Zr1?
It is being worked on.
Originally Posted by Garret
So if you tested the "entire" process, what was the gain? I see the cost is $2500+ and no where on either site does it state what gains all that money gets you. Asking for a friend.... LOL
We didn't try tuning a bone stock car. We threw mods on and were testing up to the last minute of release, so we didn't have time to dyno for the mods on the vehicle. The cost of entry to tune just is what it is. What you get out of it depends on the modifications.

Originally Posted by 2019 ZR1
I saw that Race Proven Motorsports said they can tune the C7 ZR1 also. I think it posted a few days ago. I wonder if it's only certain shops that HP Tuners will let do them..
Up until Friday, only HPT and myself were able to edit a C7 ZR1.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:21 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Default ZR1 tune

Originally Posted by DSX Tuning
It is being worked on.

We didn't try tuning a bone stock car. We threw mods on and were testing up to the last minute of release, so we didn't have time to dyno for the mods on the vehicle. The cost of entry to tune just is what it is. What you get out of it depends on the modifications.

Up until Friday, only HPT and myself were able to edit a C7 ZR1.
Huh that's what 2 other shops have said also. Good luck guys
Old 04-15-2019, 04:24 PM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2019 ZR1
Huh that's what 2 other shops have said also. Good luck guys
People say a lot of things.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:24 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,167 Likes on 5,991 Posts

That's cool someone finally figured it out. Hope you have money to burn to void the warranty on a $25K motor.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:27 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

What is the wheel hp after the tune?Talk to us.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Someone needs to do a before and after on stock ZR1...
The following users liked this post:
Garret (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 PM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
That's cool someone finally figured it out. Hope you have money to burn to void the warranty on a $25K motor.
Pay to play!

Originally Posted by thrilled
What is the wheel hp after the tune?Talk to us.
We don't intend to really share any results until we have flex fuel 100% functional.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Why are there so many haters in here????
DSX - Congrats to you and HP Tuners!! I don't have a ZR1 but I think it's GREAT news those who want to have the option to tune. Results will come with some time.

Bigger supercharger - 2 fueling options so shouldn't run out of fuel should lead to some real gains stock and the ability to make pretty big power with minimal upgrades.
I'm excited to see what they will do - I think 1,000 rwhp will be a very real goal with good reliability.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 PM
dee zed
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I believe many of us zr1 owners are from the " show me state " not haters
Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Most of the people hating probably don’t even own a zr1.

This week we will see a few vendors finally get the ecu back from HP tuners and numbers will become public.

Patience grasshoppers. I am very curious about the flex fuel options and if it’s as easy as it was in the LT1&4. Flex fuel would be a MUST for me.
SpeedyD (04-16-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 PM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C7&7
Patience grasshoppers. I am very curious about the flex fuel options and if it’s as easy as it was in the LT1&4. Flex fuel would be a MUST for me.
It will not be that easy. If you watch the quick clips we blasted at the end of our video, you'll see a super vague hint into what we have to do. The lingering question is whether or not it will require an OS mod.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by DSX Tuning
It will not be that easy. If you watch the quick clips we blasted at the end of our video, you'll see a super vague hint into what we have to do. The lingering question is whether or not it will require an OS mod.
Bummer. Well I won’t even consider modding mine until flex fuel is an option. That’s the only way to truly take advantage off all those injectors ... keep up the good work guys. We appreciate you being pioneers.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Originally Posted by dsevo
So you're advertising a tune with zero data showing what it actually gains. Makes sense...
So true... So really, they haven't tuned anything. But yeah, pay us thousands of dollars!

Might as well throw an eBay chip on it and call it good.

Last edited by Kracka; 04-15-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
DSX - Congrats to you and HP Tuners!! I don't have a ZR1 but I think it's GREAT news those who want to have the option to tune. Results will come with some time.

Bigger supercharger - 2 fueling options so shouldn't run out of fuel should lead to some real gains stock and the ability to make pretty big power with minimal upgrades.
I'm excited to see what they will do - I think 1,000 rwhp will be a very real goal with good reliability.
Well said! I don't understand all the whining about this at all. I likely will not tune my ZR1 but I am very happy that it can now be done and look forward to seeing what this beast is capable of. Whats the problem? Very exciting times to be a Corvette owner and fan!

Last edited by BearZ06; 04-15-2019 at 10:17 PM.
SpeedyD (04-16-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:48 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Ya'll still using this line? Really?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

There are a bunch of haters, because so many people beat the drum of it being untunable.
The following 4 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
Mikec7z (04-16-2019), mykream (05-15-2019), RGT (04-16-2019), SpeedyD (04-16-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To World's first tuned C7 ZR1

Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 PM
xWS6guy
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 04-15-2019, 11:58 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Car should pick up a lot of power....

Unlocking the tune is step 1, and as hard as it was, it may not be the hardest step... you still have step 2 of tuning it....

the tune on these is much more complicated than a normal c7z with a normal blower....

From what i understand, there is a controlled blow off valve in the lt5 blower always bleeding some air off on the stock tune, and the TB blade is not really ever fully open on stock tune, and on the aftermarket tune, that valve can now be kept closed and TB wide open.

This changes things of course... the amount of power that will be picked up is pretty large, ... but since the tune is complex, we need to stop calling it "a tune" like they are all the same where all that needs to be tweaked are the air fuel ratios and engine timing and tada! instead we need to realize, each tune may be a bit of a work of art, how they do it exactly compared to the next tuner, as when these valves open and close, and relative to each other... and also understand it will have different tunes for each gear...

most people probably dont want to make 1000lbs of torque when they take off in first gear... so the TB and BOV's need to control that, otherwise the driveline is going to snap somewhere. How much power in first gear?... how much power in second gear?... then there has to be the individual tune for each gear in the more traditional sense, once those TB and BOV's are set into place for each gear.

to say its a lot of trial and error, is an understatement. Human has to drive the car and see if they have grip in first or second gear etc... and/or also see if driveline breaks.

Meanwhile, that all assumes HP tuners gives the tuners access to all the tables the tuner needs after the tuner changes up the way the TB and BOV's work... my guess is, HP tuners wont have it all readily available at first... so then you will have a lot of back and forth between the tuners and HP, as they try to solve glitches since there was a table off limits that it turns out the tuner needed access to.

I write all of this so that people don't think "a tune" is a simple process or assume will be equal across the board with equal results tuner to tuner.

The LT5 should separate the men from the boys pretty quickly on creating good daily derivable tunes

This is cool for tuners however, once all the hard work is put in, they will be able to say to customers "go out and buy this part, put it on your car, take this canned tune, and you gain 300hp and torque"

parts may only be catless down-pipes and an exact recommended pulley swap, and a ported blower, and easily get a customer that 300hp.

Tuners wont necessarily brag its a canned tune, they may not sell it over the counter or over the internet as a canned tune... they will still likely want the car in their possession to make sure tune is behaving properly before they release it to the customer...

but it should be a copy and paste function for them, car to car, once they get it dialed in. Since there are 2 butterfly valves at play and GM never had them both at full tilt, i bet it will take time for tuners to really wrap their minds around how to do this optimally.

Keep in mind, there's a lot a tuner can now do wrong accidentally as well.

its going to be curious who releases 1000+hp zr1's first.

And then its going to be curious how the pioneer star tuner, protects his tune, and keeps another shop from getting its hands on his customer's tuned car, and copying that tune, and then them tweaking it slightly and calling it their own.

I did not see anything about the transmission and credits required to tune the tcm in the first posts, for the a8's... or is it the same as the z06 with HP tuners? I would think it would be zr1 encrypted as well, but perhaps not.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-16-2019 at 12:55 AM.
SpeedyD (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 AM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kracka
So true... So really, they haven't tuned anything. But yeah, pay us thousands of dollars!

Might as well throw an eBay chip on it and call it good.

So just because a number wasn't posted, it isn't retuned? I don't know that you fully understand the purpose of "tuning" the ECM.

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Car should pick up a lot of power....

Unlocking the tune is step 1, and as hard as it was, it may not be the hardest step... you still have step 2 of tuning it....

the tune on these is much more complicated than a normal c7z with a normal blower....

From what i understand, there is a controlled blow off valve in the lt5 blower always bleeding some air off on the stock tune, and the TB blade is not really ever fully open on stock tune, and on the aftermarket tune, that valve can now be kept closed and TB wide open.

This changes things of course... the amount of power that will be picked up is pretty large, ... but since the tune is complex, we need to stop calling it "a tune" like they are all the same where all that needs to be tweaked are the air fuel ratios and engine timing and tada! instead we need to realize, each tune may be a bit of a work of art, how they do it exactly compared to the next tuner, as when these valves open and close, and relative to each other... and also understand it will have different tunes for each gear...

most people probably dont want to make 1000lbs of torque when they take off in first gear... so the TB and BOV's need to control that, otherwise the driveline is going to snap somewhere. How much power in first gear?... how much power in second gear?... then there has to be the individual tune for each gear in the more traditional sense, once those TB and BOV's are set into place for each gear.

to say its a lot of trial and error, is an understatement. Human has to drive the car and see if they have grip in first or second gear etc... and/or also see if driveline breaks.

Meanwhile, that all assumes HP tuners gives the tuners access to all the tables the tuner needs after the tuner changes up the way the TB and BOV's work... my guess is, HP tuners wont have it all readily available at first... so then you will have a lot of back and forth between the tuners and HP, as they try to solve glitches since there was a table off limits that it turns out the tuner needed access to.

I write all of this so that people don't think "a tune" is a simple process or assume will be equal across the board with equal results tuner to tuner.

The LT5 should separate the men from the boys pretty quickly on creating good daily derivable tunes

This is cool for tuners however, once all the hard work is put in, they will be able to say to customers "go out and buy this part, put it on your car, take this canned tune, and you gain 300hp and torque"

parts may only be catless down-pipes and an exact recommended pulley swap, and a ported blower, and easily get a customer that 300hp.

Tuners wont necessarily brag its a canned tune, they may not sell it over the counter or over the internet as a canned tune... they will still likely want the car in their possession to make sure tune is behaving properly before they release it to the customer...

but it should be a copy and paste function for them, car to car, once they get it dialed in. Since there are 2 butterfly valves at play and GM never had them both at full tilt, i bet it will take time for tuners to really wrap their minds around how to do this optimally.

Keep in mind, there's a lot a tuner can now do wrong accidentally as well.

its going to be curious who releases 1000+hp zr1's first.

And then its going to be curious how the pioneer star tuner, protects his tune, and keeps another shop from getting its hands on his customer's tuned car, and copying that tune, and then them tweaking it slightly and calling it their own.

I did not see anything about the transmission and credits required to tune the tcm in the first posts, for the a8's... or is it the same as the z06 with HP tuners? I would think it would be zr1 encrypted as well, but perhaps not.
Currently, there is still room to keep going for HPT to define things in the editor. As with anything, it'll take time. The things we have access to are a fraction of what is editable. Getting the port system to interact correctly is what will really be tricky for some when starting to make big power.

For these ECMs, you can't read the file out of it, so anything anybody flashes in can't be pulled back out. This is good for us, but potentially bad for customers that just need some minor thing changed.

TCMs are the same. $200 unlock process and four credits.
The following 3 users liked this post by DSX Tuning:
ilkSurfer (04-16-2019), Mikec7z (04-16-2019), NW-99SS (04-16-2019)

Quick Reply: World's first tuned C7 ZR1