C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Which oil for racing? Track insurance? Novistretch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 PM
LesR
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Which oil for racing? Track insurance? Novistretch?

Ron Fellows ZR1 Performance Racing school said use Mobil 0-40 for everyday and if I track it, because of the high temps, use Mobil 20-50.

It’s about $200 for an oil change. If you track your car would you do two oil changes for a day on the track? The oil change folks said I couldn’t save the oil for later or bring my own to save money. Changing my own oil will take special jacks and jack stands to get under the car and safely stabilize it. Am I being penny wise and pound foolish?

That said, what about track insurance for the car?! I’m finding out why buddies in the local car club don’t track their cars!

One more thing; Novistretch masks.... looked like this after 3 days on the drive home from the NCM. They replaced it. Then the rear view mirror masks started failing too. I think they’ll replace those too.

Your thought?

LesR
2019 ZR1 Corvette w R8C

Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by LesR
Ron Fellows ZR1 Performance Racing school said use Mobil 0-40 for everyday and if I track it, because of the high temps, use Mobil 20-50.

It’s about $200 for an oil change. If you track your car would you do two oil changes for a day on the track? The oil change folks said I couldn’t save the oil for later or bring my own to save money. Changing my own oil will take special jacks and jack stands to get under the car and safely stabilize it. Am I being penny wise and pound foolish?

That said, what about track insurance for the car?! I’m finding out why buddies in the local car club don’t track their cars!

One more thing; Novistretch masks.... looked like this after 3 days on the drive home from the NCM. They replaced it. Then the rear view mirror masks started failing too. I think they’ll replace those too.

Your thought?

LesR
2019 ZR1 Corvette w R8C

Why won’t it happen again? My only experience with bra’s years ago was bad. Dirt got between the bra and paint and it turned the bra into sand paper. It was a different brand so it may not apply to you... BUT... my opinion is that if the protection is not “adhered” to the paint surface, dust, dirt, bugs, and possibly sand will find its way between the fabric and paint at highway speeds and do more damage than nothing at all.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:42 PM
Flyjets
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Aloha Les from Tobin,
Was good to talk w/you & your Mrs at Spring Mt.
I have similar concerns as well.
A couple comments;
My local GM dealer will allow me to bring my own oil to them for changing & also did so w/my ZO6, saves @$1/qt.
My recollection of Spring Mt's oil recommendation for track use was 15-50.
Checking out your mask there I would have guessed you had that in use for a yr or more but thinking I would not be happy w/the apparent lack of durability.
Not being eager to push my new ZR1 very hard yet, if I were fortunate enough to say get an invite to join a Spring Mt member for another track session I would be tempted to just drive it moderately there as the car is.
Happy trails!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 500 Posts

This is the main reason I’m not upgrading my z06 for a zr1. The cost of track insurance and consumables. Starting to think about buying a c5 z06
Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 898 Likes on 540 Posts

For track insurance check out opentrack.com
Very reasonable per event, with a 10% deductible. I got the annual policy, 5% deductible with unlimited track days.

Get notified of new replies

To Which oil for racing? Track insurance? Novistretch?