C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Stock ZR1 not making expected power.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 05:52 PM
devojrx7
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Stock ZR1 not making expected power.

I was able to do a baseline dyno on my ZR1 today, but the results were less than spectacular. It seems to be pulling a ton of timing. The car is stock other than the gm performance intake. I’m going to try to get some better HP tuner logs to check it. We only had an OBD scan tool at the dyno because I wasn’t expecting to have problems. I know this car had a P0325 code set one time with the previous owner, but he reset it and the dealer couldn’t duplicate it. It apparently never came back. The max timing we saw on the pull was 11deg and I’m told it should be around 20. The engine felt really hot after the first pull like it was pulling timing. My thoughts are bad gas, bad knock sensor, or air in the intercooler system. Any other ideas?

Old 03-16-2021, 05:57 PM
devojrx7
Instructor

here’s a video of the scan tool showing the timing. I don’t think we are watching the correct IAT.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:48 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

What fuel are you running? 91 and you'll pull timing. If you have air in the heat exchanger that will also pull timing. With 11 degrees that's why you're low hp wise.
The following users liked this post:
devojrx7 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 08:33 PM
devojrx7
Instructor

Originally Posted by ss2z06
What fuel are you running? 91 and you'll pull timing. If you have air in the heat exchanger that will also pull timing. With 11 degrees that's why you're low hp wise.

The pump said it was 93, but maybe they filled the tanks wrong. How do I check the heat exchanger?
Old 03-16-2021, 09:16 PM
Bossman429
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by devojrx7
The pump said it was 93, but maybe they filled the tanks wrong. How do I check the heat exchanger?
If these are like the LT4, the Heat Xch loop is filled and sealed from the factory, and cant be checked easily. The dealers need a special tool to fill them, and even then they have a hard time getting the air out of the loop. Doesnt take much trapped air in the coolant to cause problems. The simplest solution on the LT4 was to incorporate an overflow/surge tank that allowed the air to escape into the tank.
Curious if the LT5 is similar
devojrx7 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 11:49 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Is it an a8 or m7?
Old 03-16-2021, 11:51 PM
devojrx7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Is it an a8 or m7?
It’s a Manual.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:37 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Even with 93 octane, the LT5 will pull timing unless the IAT is super low. For maximum performance with no KR, in even reasonably good air, you'll need about 96-octane unleaded.

This is why GM recommends for track use people run 100-oct. unleaded fuel.

It is possible the charge air cooler system needs to be bled. A lot of cars came out of B.G. with air in those systems. The LT5 charge air cooling system is very difficult to bleed such that virtually no air is left. The problem is that it takes 1 to 3 hours of bleeding to get to a very low/no air condition and few dealers are willing to do that. Buy a 3-day sub. to GMSi then read the procedure used to bleed the charge air cooling system and you'll get why most dealers don't want to do the procedure properly if it's a warranty claim situation. In my conversations with Jim Mero about what they did when GM had the ZR-1 at Nurbergring, I learned getting all the air out took a minimum of 3 hours. I had 1878 bled on a non-warranty basis, by Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista CA and it took a little over an hour to get to where no air bubbles were visible in the hoses of the bleeding equipment.

All that said, the first thing you need to do is mix your fuel 1:1 93-oct to 100-oct and go test, again. That gets you to about 96.5-oct and may eliminate the KR unless the air in the dyno cell is really hot. If it is, use straight 100-oct unleaded. If the engine knocks on that, then you may have air in the cooler cooling system.

The following 3 users liked this post by Hib Halverson:
64drvr (03-18-2021), devojrx7 (03-17-2021), frodoz737 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 12:54 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

11 degrees is pretty low timing and looking at the dyno curve it indicates it was pinging or at least thought it was, could also just be a byproduct of the very low timing as well. Need to log manifold air temps and see what they are climbing up to, could be that you need to bleed the charge air cooling system or could be bad gas.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:58 PM
devojrx7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Even with 93 octane, the LT5 will pull timing unless the IAT is super low. For maximum performance with no KR, in even reasonably good air, you'll need about 96-octane unleaded.

This is why GM recommends for track use people run 100-oct. unleaded fuel.

It is possible the charge air cooler system needs to be bled. A lot of cars came out of B.G. with air in those systems. The LT5 charge air cooling system is very difficult to bleed such that virtually no air is left. The problem is that it takes 1 to 3 hours of bleeding to get to a very low/no air condition and few dealers are willing to do that. Buy a 3-day sub. to GMSi then read the procedure used to bleed the charge air cooling system and you'll get why most dealers don't want to do the procedure properly if it's a warranty claim situation. In my conversations with Jim Mero about what they did when GM had the ZR-1 at Nurbergring, I learned getting all the air out took a minimum of 3 hours. I had 1878 bled on a non-warranty basis, by Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista CA and it took a little over an hour to get to where no air bubbles were visible in the hoses of the bleeding equipment.

All that said, the first thing you need to do is mix your fuel 1:1 93-oct to 100-oct and go test, again. That gets you to about 96.5-oct and may eliminate the KR unless the air in the dyno cell is really hot. If it is, use straight 100-oct unleaded. If the engine knocks on that, then you may have air in the cooler cooling system.
Thanks Hib. I’ll try the 100 octane and log it this time. Luckily my local dealer is very race car friendly. They have GPI a performance shop in house and the service manager is a buddy that drives a highly modified C6 ZR1 so they should do it right if it needs to be done.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:24 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossman429
If these are like the LT4, the Heat Xch loop is filled and sealed from the factory, and cant be checked easily. The dealers need a special tool to fill them, and even then they have a hard time getting the air out of the loop. Doesnt take much trapped air in the coolant to cause problems. The simplest solution on the LT4 was to incorporate an overflow/surge tank that allowed the air to escape into the tank.
Bossman429, have you got a part number for that special tool? I like doing my own work when possible. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:52 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Don’t look at MAT for blower temp, look at B1S3 under intake temps, it reports correctly and will tel you if the supercharger coolant flow is moving due to temperature.

my guess is it’s very high and pulling timing to save itself due to temp
ernhart333 (04-05-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 03:03 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

LT5 is similar.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:39 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
LT5 is similar.
Hib, are you suggesting the LT5 has a surge tank that effectively simply cures itself? Now that would be great.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:40 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I'd bet on heat being the culprit here. I dyno-ed mine right after coming off the track at Daytona. The best out of three pulls there was 505 HP. The heat was aweful.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:28 PM
Bossman429
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Bossman429, have you got a part number for that special tool? I like doing my own work when possible. Thanks.
There are several out there for the Camaro LT4's, I pasted just a couple of them below . , I couldnt find the one my son used but it was similar to these two, and it looked very OEM. You wouldnt know it wasnt oem, unless you knew what you were looking at. Concept would be same for the LT5. Dealer that my son took the car to originally had no idea how to bleed the intercooler. Son bought the kit with tank, dealer said they'd install it and it wouldnt affect the warranty. It worked great, car would pull ten mph faster on straights at RA w/o air bubbles in the lines.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdown...L300152012.pdf
https://www.montmotorsports.com/cpr-...xpansion-tank/
SouthernSon (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:37 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

There are several out there for the Camaro LT4's, I pasted just a couple of them below . , I couldnt find the one my son used but it was similar to these two, and it looked very OEM. You wouldnt know it wasnt oem, unless you knew what you were looking at. Concept would be same for the LT5. Dealer that my son took the car to originally had no idea how to bleed the intercooler. Son bought the kit with tank, dealer said they'd install it and it wouldnt affect the warranty. It worked great, car would pull ten mph faster on straights at RA w/o air bubbles in the lines.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdown...L300152012.pdf
https://www.montmotorsports.com/cpr-...xpansion-tank/
Great info, Bossman429. Again, a forum member brings the best of the forum to help others.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock ZR1 not making expected power.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:52 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Hib, are you suggesting the LT5 has a surge tank that effectively simply cures itself? Now that would be great.
The system is similar but not identical. It does not have a "surge tank". If you wanted one, you'd have to go to the aftermarket for it.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 03-20-2021 at 10:53 AM.
SouthernSon (03-20-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 07:07 PM
Sniper_97
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Baseline

Originally Posted by devojrx7
I was able to do a baseline dyno on my ZR1 today, but the results were less than spectacular. It seems to be pulling a ton of timing. The car is stock other than the gm performance intake. I’m going to try to get some better HP tuner logs to check it. We only had an OBD scan tool at the dyno because I wasn’t expecting to have problems. I know this car had a P0325 code set one time with the previous owner, but he reset it and the dealer couldn’t duplicate it. It apparently never came back. The max timing we saw on the pull was 11deg and I’m told it should be around 20. The engine felt really hot after the first pull like it was pulling timing. My thoughts are bad gas, bad knock sensor, or air in the intercooler system. Any other ideas?

WOW!!! Talk about being underpowered!! ZR1'S baseline in the 630's as I was told by a Katech engineer. Mine baselined at 644.

My first question to you is: How many miles on your ZR1? I'm assuming you bought her new? If not, did some shade tree mechanic tune her? I'm NOT a tuner nor do I pretend to be one but, if some yahoo tuned her, therein lies the problem. If no one tuned her, well, that presents a whole bunch of questions I honestly cannot answer.

I've last thing: Again, I'm NOT a tuner but could the ECU/ECM need to be reflashed from GM?

I hope you find the problem and wish you the best.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:42 PM
05ls7gto
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds very similar to the issue I've been having with my ZR1 - refer to this thread,
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ta-inside.html

Even after having the dealership attempt to bleed the supercharger coolant system the MATs on my car would get high very quickly and pull tons of timing... I haven't bothered attempting to bleed the system myself but I definitely should while it is still under warranty in case there is something more going on.

Quick Reply: Stock ZR1 not making expected power.