C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

to build or not to build

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 09:41 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Wow - that for sure was about to become a real bad day. Was that the installed lifter at delivery or GM's 'Race' lifter?

Hard to believe that GM would use a lifter with a u-clip style retainer in a high performance application.

Thanks a mill for the "heads up"
Old 07-23-2022, 10:30 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
Wow - that for sure was about to become a real bad day. Was that the installed lifter at delivery or GM's 'Race' lifter?

Hard to believe that GM would use a lifter with a u-clip style retainer in a high performance application.

Thanks a mill for the "heads up"
I believe that was a standard ls7 lifter that had failed. Again just my .02 but just the build of the Johnson lifters seem better. The roller tip seems smoother and more robust. It also uses a high quality c clip retaining the plunger vs the u clip. I don’t have any 1st hand experience with the “race lifters.” My comparisons are between the ls7 and Johnson lifters.
The following users liked this post:
Repo Pilot (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 12:12 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ss2z06
I believe that was a standard ls7 lifter that had failed. Again just my .02 but just the build of the Johnson lifters seem better. The roller tip seems smoother and more robust. It also uses a high quality c clip retaining the plunger vs the u clip. I don’t have any 1st hand experience with the “race lifters.” My comparisons are between the ls7 and Johnson lifters.
Great information to have regardless. I'm guessing that it is why they are clearly stating that the existing lifters will be replaced by the GM "Race" roller lifters. But I'm sure as heck going to ask the question.

Thanks for covering my 6...
Old 07-24-2022, 12:37 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 331 Posts

Great information to have regardless. I'm guessing that it is why they are clearly stating that the existing lifters will be replaced by the GM "Race" roller lifters. But I'm sure as heck going to ask the question.

Thanks for covering my 6...
You’re welcome! Keep us posted on the build.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:56 PM
^&right
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 195 Posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but if you've got an expensive to repair problem - as I did with the Auto Transmission's slippage - GM can decide to void your warrantee anytime they feel like it for replacing things like the spark plugs or anything else with a non-deco part-number. The other side of the nightmare that I think happened to me and brought to light by the knowledge of a couple of forum members: The dealer will over-state things to GM - like things that you have changed (like installing Magna-Core spark plugs) - I'm not kidding.

Why - because they lose money changing out a transmission as GM pays them a fraction of what they would have charged a customer for parts and labor. So things at the dealerships are tough and why should they lose money working on your car? So they come up with all sorts of hot-button issues that they pass on the GM so GM ends up voiding you driveline coverage. Stupid **** like your after-market air-cleaner, intake tube and a ported throttle body or how about your X-pipe or aftermarket mufflers?

Don't think for a minute that they can't/won't do it. Your only alternative is to sue both the dealer and and GM. In my case I've got a documented Lemon-Law claim. So what do I do when I win it? There are no replacement ZR1's and the odds are very long in getting the court to replace my ZR with a C8 XR1 when they are available. Things are so tight at GM they wont even implement a design change to the transmission and fix the damned transmission even though they knew they had a big problem with it on the C7-ZO6,s. And guess what...they are still putting this transmission on the Cadillac and history is repeating itself there.

Since you are closer to Florida than you are to Texas and Arizona, and you do decide you want more power, I'd suggest that you include getting a bid from Redline Motorsports in Pompano Beach, Florida, Howard Tanner's operation. They moved their operation from New York where Redline used to be located several years ago. Tanner used to work at GM and the only thing he works on are GM products. In addition to installing his 3rd party torque converter that has been race-proved to be the fix for numerous Z06's and Cadillacs.

In addition to buying the HP tuners "crack", I'm going for a streetable 3/4 cam and a bunch of upper and several lower end improvements that just make common sense.

I dont give a damn about the car's resale value. That window pretty much closed when I passed the 10,000 mile mark.
There was a judgement against Harley Davidson recently for doing these very things. This could be the start of turning things around. Being a federal decision, who knows

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news...right-repair-0
The following 3 users liked this post by ^&right:
BearZ06 (07-26-2022), NofakeJake (09-12-2022), Repo Pilot (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 01:50 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ^&right
There was a judgement against Harley Davidson recently for doing these very things. This could be the start of turning things around. Being a federal decision, who knows

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news...right-repair-0
Wow - that makes it pretty clear doesn't it? Thanks a mill for the post !!

Next time I chat "off the clock" with a good friend attorney I'll run this past him. No question, according to the "experts" I've consulted, that GM would lose a lemon law action - but where does that get you if they are not making the car any more?

I'm waiting for the parts to appear that are required to repair the transmission slip/shudder. When they show up at the shop and they can block the consecutive days needed for all the work to be done in one visit, I'll drive the ZR to the shop for it's new end-to-end ARH long-tubes and it's Stage 3 transformation. Then I'm gonna set up another IMRA high-speed aerodynamic test so we'll see what it does to my standing mile and top end speeds. And yes, on the tune, we are also going to bump up the max speed nanny just for grins and giggles.

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 07-25-2022 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:58 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rob62
My thought is....................No FN way I open up my engine. Even if they paid me.
I agree unless you don't mind devaluing your ZR1 by 10s of thousand of dollars and if your seeking to get mega power out of these incredible engines built for boost from the factory and don't mind devaluing your car significantly then go for it if that is what you are looking to get out of your ZR1.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:12 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Yo Mopar... Yup, you are probably right. but It all depends on the buyer doesn't it?

I've seen lots of modified Corvettes sell for big bucks at the auction too. If I was looking for making big bucks reselling it I should probably stop driving it too and keep the miles as low as possible. I bought the car to have fun and go fast and not as some long term investment.

The following 2 users liked this post by Repo Pilot:
ernhart333 (09-09-2022), Thomasmoto (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 11:20 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Default Zr1

Yo Mopar... Yup, you are probably right. but It all depends on the buyer doesn't it?

I've seen lots of modified Corvettes sell for big bucks at the auction too. If I was looking for making big bucks reselling it I should probably stop driving it too and keep the miles as low as possible. I bought the car to have fun and go fast and not as some long term investment.

Repo-I completely agree with you. We had our ZR1 at the drag strip last night. I can't tell you how many people come up to us when we are there that they really like seeing it run. It's always a crowd pleaser and we really enjoy it often, including drove it to work today.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thomasmoto:
ernhart333 (09-09-2022), Repo Pilot (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 01:52 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

EXACTLY - Drive it like you stole it, right ??? .

My favorite joke: Q:: "Hey Kev have you seen that new Shelby Super Snake" A; "Not since 3rd gear"
The following 4 users liked this post by Repo Pilot:
BearZ06 (09-09-2022), frodoz737 (09-09-2022), SouthernSon (09-12-2022), Thomasmoto (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 08:00 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Car cannot put the stock power down. Whats the point of adding more power to it? There are very few times I can go WOT in 2nd gear and almost never above 70% throttle corner exit. Ignore my post if all you do is mexico racing in which case I can see 60-130 times improving.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:35 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
Car cannot put the stock power down. Whats the point of adding more power to it? There are very few times I can go WOT in 2nd gear and almost never above 70% throttle corner exit. Ignore my post if all you do is mexico racing in which case I can see 60-130 times improving.
Absolutely no disagreement with that statement from my end sir. If you are competing in autocrosses or on ar track where you never or rarely get out of 2nd or 3rd gear then doing this mod is probably not for you. Or of you're rapidly putting the pedal to the metal at the apex out of habit every time I'd agree that you might find that you have to fine tune your exiting technique a bit.
& BTW - if haven't you heard Sleepy Joe has brought Mexico to the US
The following users liked this post:
ernhart333 (09-09-2022)

Quick Reply: to build or not to build