Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

C8 eray vs Tesla plaid

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 03:37 AM
Speedie33
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C8 eray vs Tesla plaid

I saw this Tesla plaid beat our city’s fast track hawk. It made me start wondering and questioning. Before seeing this I was all down for getting the c8 z06 but now I’m considering changing to the eray. My question to you guy is, do you guys think the eray will be slower or faster then the Tesla plaid ?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4729.MOV (2.25 MB, 45 views)
Old 05-17-2022, 09:06 AM
3DeadPancreases
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedie33
I saw this Tesla plaid beat our city’s fast track hawk. It made me start wondering and questioning. Before seeing this I was all down for getting the c8 z06 but now I’m considering changing to the eray. My question to you guy is, do you guys think the eray will be slower or faster then the Tesla plaid ?
Who knows. I think 0-60 it will be close but I do not really think the E-Ray will do 0-60 in 1.9 sec or 1.8 or whatever psychotic number is being put forth by those Plaid things. Nor do I think it will be 9.5 - 9.9 in the 1320. If it is a 10.0 1/4 car it will rock. Leave anything more for the ZR-1 and/or Zora.
I love the idea of plug in hybridization and/or electric ....I just cannot stand Tesla. And since WHEN is a "pattern of unevenly spaced repeated stripes crossing at right angles" a designation for performance of any type?
Old 05-17-2022, 11:40 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedie33
As somebody who owned a C8 Z51, still owns a 850hp C7Z06, and currently owns a Plaid, I can tell you from experience that there is no other car right now capable of keeping up with a Plaid. The Tesla Plaid (not in drag strip or track mode) will still turn a mid 10, and in Sport mode will turn 11 flat. I'm hoping the E-Ray will be as fast if not faster than the C8Z in the 1/4 mile, so if it is a low/mid 10 sec car, it will do that and be as fast as a Plaid, not in drag strip mode. The Tesla Plaid in Drag Strip mode is a low 9 second 1/4 mile at over 150 mph. Unless the Zora is AWD it won't beat it, and there is no chance the C8Z or E-Ray will achieve that. However what I have found is that it is nuisance for regular driving to put the Plaid in Drag Strip mode, wait parked for 2-10 mins for battery to warm up (wait time depends on how charged the battery is), wait for the Cheetah stance (nose lowers), then launch. That is just not practical anywhere accept for on the strip. So basically driving a Plaid in Plaid mode performance setting is the same as it would be driving a C8Z or E-Ray when they come out, which will be basically a mid 2 sec 0-60 mph, mid 10 sec 1/4 mile car.

The only other advantages of the Plaid vs the Vette is that you can haul 5 people around in it, has a huge trunk, has Full Self Drive, doesn't use gas, tons of tech. Other than that it in no way matches the appearances of a C8 or C7 for that matter.

The following 4 users liked this post by Shinobi'sZ:
lostsoul (05-18-2022), msm859 (05-17-2022), NotScared (05-26-2022), ZMMMMM (08-22-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 02:07 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 998 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by 3DeadPancreases
Who knows. I think 0-60 it will be close but I do not really think the E-Ray will do 0-60 in 1.9 sec or 1.8 or whatever psychotic number is being put forth by those Plaid things. Nor do I think it will be 9.5 - 9.9 in the 1320. If it is a 10.0 1/4 car it will rock. Leave anything more for the ZR-1 and/or Zora.
I love the idea of plug in hybridization and/or electric ....I just cannot stand Tesla. And since WHEN is a "pattern of unevenly spaced repeated stripes crossing at right angles" a designation for performance of any type?
Go watch the movie Spaceballs - you will understand the reference.
The following users liked this post:
CPhelps (05-23-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 02:10 PM
CavalierKing
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 44 Posts

We need a sticky just for all of the Plaid vs eray threads
Old 05-18-2022, 10:50 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by CavalierKing
We need a sticky just for all of the Plaid vs eray threads
and Porsche, Ferrari, Dodge, this is a Corvette forum and across every general section there will be comparisons between cars. If Dodge had an electric Viper it would be a main topic. The reason the Plaid is mentioned often, for whom the majority posting about it do not own or have not been in, is because it is the beast to be concurred and compared to. In all fairness there should be more NSX and Ferrari Hybrid comparisons to the E-Ray. It's that the Plaid kicks everything's ***, so most Vette owner's are keeping their fingers crossed that GM's E-Ray will be close to the same performance metrics...which tends to be 0-60, 0-100, and 1/4 mile. The funny thing is, is that braking and lateral G used to be more important.

As I mentioned the Plaid's performance not in Drag Strip mode is the most common scenario when encountered out in the real world day to day driving. It's highly unlikely that anybody driving a performance car is going to pull up next to a Plaid, and the Plaid owner say to them...wait I need to put my car into drag strip mode, let the battery warm up for 10 mins to achieve max power, drop into "cheetah mode" and then launch to make sure I get a 2 sec 0-60, 4.4 sec 0-100, and 9.25 1/4 mile....that is best reserved prior to lining up at the tree on the strip.

The more likely encounter is that a Plaid driver will just have their car in Plaid mode while driving, which the performance numbers are very similar to what is being reported for the C8Z06. If the E-Ray with (2) 85hp motors and an LT2 is putting out 670hp with AWD, it will most likely easily out accelerate a C8Z06 to 100 mph, and be faster in the 1/4. The E-Ray would be my 5th Vette since 1999, and I am anxiously awaiting to get one...so that I have a good looking EV that is as fast as my 5 passenger 4 door sedan. The Plaid and NSX have the performance metrics that Vette owners are wanting to be matched to with the E-Ray.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:55 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

It doesn’t take a crystal ball to know that eventually all Corvettes will be fully electric so moaning and complaining about it won’t change it. I’m getting very tired of the folks who make statements like “I’ll never drive a Corvette that doesn’t have a stick” or “ I’ll never drive an electric car because they have no soul” or any of several dozen similar statements. Electric vehicles are different to be sure but they have their own charm and they can be very rewarding to drive. For Tesla owners the whole charging issue is a red herring, the only time you use a Supercharger is on trips in excess of 300 miles (you can add about 200 miles of range in about 25 minutes at a Supercharger) and in normal use you charge at home overnight. Electrics cost about 75% less to operate and way less to maintain than an ICE vehicle. An electric Corvette is going to be awesome.
msm859 (05-21-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 01:55 PM
VetteHalen5150
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
It doesn’t take a crystal ball to know that eventually all Corvettes will be fully electric so moaning and complaining about it won’t change it. I’m getting very tired of the folks who make statements like “I’ll never drive a Corvette that doesn’t have a stick” or “ I’ll never drive an electric car because they have no soul” or any of several dozen similar statements. Electric vehicles are different to be sure but they have their own charm and they can be very rewarding to drive. For Tesla owners the whole charging issue is a red herring, the only time you use a Supercharger is on trips in excess of 300 miles (you can add about 200 miles of range in about 25 minutes at a Supercharger) and in normal use you charge at home overnight. Electrics cost about 75% less to operate and way less to maintain than an ICE vehicle. An electric Corvette is going to be awesome.
EV's will certainly have a place in the market, but the fact is that they are not 'fun' to drive in the same way as a great ICE vehicle. Driving an EV fast in a straight line, is not the same as driving an ICE vehicle around straights and turns. Also, an ICE vehicle has the 'anticipation' factor of starting the engine and getting the roar and the 'build up' of power as you hit the gas pedal. Driving an EV is like driving a cell phone to me; it is just 'on'... Boring, but great for people who just want basic transportation.
JockItch (05-27-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:22 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

No...Next waste of band space

Get notified of new replies

To C8 eray vs Tesla plaid

Quick Reply: C8 eray vs Tesla plaid