Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

SAE Don Sherman e-Ray article

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 08:06 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Default SAE Don Sherman e-Ray article

I don't think there's much new here, and we've seen the images in a prior post, but here's Sherman's take on the e-Ray.
2024 Corvette E-Ray unveiled (sae.org)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,769 Likes on 6,725 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
I don't think there's much new here,...
Thanks there is a lot there! Some key points for me:
Planned from the C8 engineering program’s onset. (Have been saying that since I read the 1174 page 2012 Government plan to be put in law 2017 and effective 2026 would require the Corvette family to achieve ~39 mpg! OR big fine for GM! All cars and light trucks defined as to goal with hybrids being the most viable method used to achieve. It was stopped by a Pen January 2017! Many on this form laughed. Who has the last laugh now! This is my December PDF that outline my speculation that has been continually updated. Assembling facts form the launch and will update again: http://netwelding.com/C8_FWD_Hybrid.pdf )

.., the AC motor serves as a generator during deceleration and cruising to perform that function. (Assume that means when coasting)

... The 1.9 kWh lithium-ion battery pack, with cells supplied by LG Energy, providing about 1/7th the energy of the battery in a 2023 Toyota Prius hybrid,.. (Some have thought it would be the plant in OH GM has partnered with LG Energy BUT it's NOT. Looks like LG Energy, who has their own plant in Michigan, is making this small unique battery (for the limited number who cares!)

The brake-torque management system which selectively slows one front wheel during hard cornering works so well that full-throttle drifting requires nothing more than confident hands on the steering wheel. (In a prior SAE article Don said it was two motors back-to-back enabling individual power to each. This says nope, coming out of an apex they use braking application to alter individual wheel torque application!)

Last edited by JerryU; 01-18-2023 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: SAE Don Sherman e-Ray article