C8 ERay/Hybrid/EV Discussion ERay/Hybrid/EV Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Two E-Ray Options, Grill Screens, Engine Light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 08:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,738 Likes on 6,708 Posts

Default Two E-Ray Options, Grill Screens, Engine Light?

Comment, question re two options:

VWE, Front radiator grille screens is
$895
May appear high until you watch this How To Install Install video buy Scape Armor. Heck you're taking the car apart!
Also where I thought I might do DIY on the side only and NOT do the center screen that covers the large coolant Rad only no AC Condenser in front center, may not be possible to fit even the side screens as I did for my C8. Scrape Armor's MSRP is $699 but includes all 3 screens. My question if you pay a dealer the $895 that only leaves $195 (especially for a CD dealer) to do all that work including the front bumper. The Scrape Armor website says it's sold out so may not be a choice to look for an option

Second Item is D3V Engine Light. It only cost $1oo. What do you get for only $100? Anyone know?

Just thoughts
https://www.scrapearmor.com/collecti...orvette-c8-z06
Old 09-03-2023, 09:29 AM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,586 Likes on 784 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

If I were doing Scrape Armor, I probably wouldn't do it myself. Their website says:

Please note, we highly recommend professional install for this product as the front bumper must be removed for install.

The front fascia of the Z06 and the way it relates to the radiators is different than the Stingray, in that the inlet openings in the bumper shell are ducted/sealed to the radiators behind.

The presence of the duct assembly means there is no access to the inlets or the radiators from the undertray area.
Not sure what to make of the bolded part above or know if it even matters. Could just be "marketing-speak."

Someone in the Z06 section did his front splitter and installed grill screens himself. They were NOT Scrape Armor screens, though. They were zip-tied on, as many of us did with our Stingrays. Not once did anyone looking at my car notice or comment on the zip ties, so I guess I did ok. Unless I learn something that changes things, I'm planning to do the same with my ERay.

The following 3 users liked this post by /Bear/:
hamta (09-03-2023), JerryU (09-03-2023), msm859 (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 10:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
Thanks!
Had not been looking at the Z06 Section. Good info.

It would appear that the Scrape Armor may be constrained anyway (so will support my decision with the AESOP Fable "Fox and Sour Grapes! )

Quoting Z06-Man statement about the Install:Folks-I am posting this to confirm you do not have to remove the Z06 front fascia to install the front splitter and radiators grill guard screens. We used a lift to make life easier and removed over 60 bolts and fasteners, took over an hour with two people working on it. Also the CF side skirts were a cinch, no rivets to drill out, simple bolts and push pins, took maybe 10 minutes per side.

AND looking at the 1st part of the Scrape Armor video: you JUST have to removed 60 bolts a number of panels and two metal pieces to access a sufficient size opening to insert Mesh you can attach to the grill with Zip Ties. Wish there were some install pics to see the opening. For my C8 I installed, as some others, by removing the grill bar and hiding all Zip-Ties behind the Grill. Even found Stainless Steel Zip-Ties Epoxy Coated Black for ~20 cents each! One benefit, in addition to saving $895 and chance of some paint damage as wonder if dealer will use the tape and take the care to install as video shows is I'll have half the size mesh and half the size bugs getting thru!

By the time I get my E-Ray may be more install info. I already decided since the Ground Effects Option does not increase the size of the side skirts (appears from pics to just switch from what comes standards that is proably composite, pained black to visisible carbon fiber or carbon fiber painted carbon flash) my current plan is to buy aftermarket ABS Splitter. As I did with my C8, will wait to install the Mesh when I install the splitter.

Debated but I use my Lift so often I'm opting to get with the E-Ray. The ABS splitters are much less expensive BUT have hit the side winglets of my aftermarket 5VM splitter twice so worth the cost to me!

Below is a comparison of what Z06-Man on his C8 Z06 and what I installed on my C8.

Old 09-03-2023, 10:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by /Bear/
If I were doing Scrape Armor, I probably wouldn't do it myself. Their website says:

Not sure what to make of the bolded part above or know if it even matters. Could just be "marketing-speak."
That statement in bold and their video made me think there was no opening as in the C8 where the mesh can be inserted from the bottom as we did for the standard C8. BUT in the Thread you quoted, RedC8Z06 also said:
"I did the same on my Z06 you just have to remove 4 bottom panels to install them."

Perhaps we'll get some install pics.

The following users liked this post:
/Bear/ (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 10:55 AM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,586 Likes on 784 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Originally Posted by JerryU
Perhaps we'll get some install pics.
I will be providing installation pics and instructions very soon after I get my ERay!

The following 3 users liked this post by /Bear/:
Chuck Mahnke (09-03-2023), JerryU (09-03-2023), Lefty32 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 06:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by /Bear/

Hmm, found this video that shows clearly the ducts are in the way.

BUT this is an excellent 13 minute "How To" video of the companies ABS Mesh. It even lists the product for Z06 and E-Ray with install on a Z06! I'm usually not a big fan of How To video's because to fit the time they leave out the details, especially the difficult parts. This DOES NOT. Well done by speeding up the removal of the many bolts, showing all. But stops and gives details of what he mentions a number of times, the PIA Push Pins! They are what are holding the bottom of the ducts that block access and must be removed.

He shows how to remove the Pushpins so they can be reused. However think I would have some extra new ones ready just in case! They are not expensive IF the right size could be identified. Might remove one before starting the project and buy some!

It shows details of the ~5 pieces of the ABS Oval Plastic Mesh that is Laser cut to fit together. It mentions aluminum round mesh BUT not sure that is for the Z06/E-Ray or just Stingrays. Once you watch the video it appears the more flexible ABS is a help with the install as it can be bent slightly to get behind the grill. No risky issues like if removing the bumper, just lots of bolts, pushpins and panels to remove and put back.

He uses plastic Zip-Ties and had an interesting way to hide 3 of the 5 required for each of the side mesh. He put them behind the grill bar.

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/r...ation-help-old

Last edited by JerryU; 09-04-2023 at 06:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
/Bear/ (09-04-2023), G8R-Vette (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 07:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

While searching just found this aluminum mesh the same size from CCG that I have had on my C8 for 3 years. It's only ~$150 for the 5 precut pieces. The have a short PDF install but basically access requires removing the bottom aero panels. It mentions some but not al of the ducts need to be removed to inset the aluminum mesh.

FWIW: Noticed they answered a question of why no rubber edge trim. As they state it's not needed and not used except for the center pieces (one shown above and the rubber trim is visible) and in an exposed area near a sensor. The other reason they mention is to keep prices low. They indicate the only issue is the installers hands and being careful not to scratch the car.
(My note: Actually, it's only for the installers hands as you insert from the bottom and none of the cars external body parts are exposited. Had no issue with my C8 Stingray as ALL edges are hidden by the OEM Grill. They do offer the Neoprene rubber trim they use in some areas for sale at #1/foot for those who think needed! Inexpensive enough to add AND use your DIY labor to install to help keep their prices low, especially when the Chinese Copiers enter the market!)

Last edited by JerryU; 09-04-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:26 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,959 Likes on 2,183 Posts

I’ll just wait until some aftermarket company designs a set of screens that attach from the outside with double sided tape like I have on my stingray.

my screens that install on the outside took 10 minutes for me to install myself.

I wouldn’t pay for tearing off the nose etc..just install from the outside.

some company will realize what I’m suggesting for the Eray and z06 and we will be able to avoid this ridiculous procedure of removing the nose.

if not and I’m so motivated Ill just make it myself. Not a big deal and in fact since the car doesn’t come with this from the factory Ill drive the car as it came from the factory too. $900 for the front screens is absurd.

jmo
The following users liked this post:
Lefty32 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 09:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
I'm happy installing as CCG shows and video (Post #6) show with very detailed procedure installing by removing the front bottom aero panels and some of the air ducts. All held on with screws and a few plastic rivets. NO NEED LIKE Scrape Armor to remove the bumper and leave two uncovered openings with their 3 piece expensive system. Then as I and many did on out C8s just insert from the bottom. The video even shows even how to hide the Zip ties behind the grill bar.

For the 5 pieces required to cover the front CCG aluminum mesh is only ~$150 and no bumper removal! If concerned about plastic Zip Ties you can buy black stainless steel for ~$0.20 each.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-17-2023 at 10:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
gatorfl (09-18-2023), Hopper12 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Lefty32
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Wait, do we actually need the 2 smallest screens? Are those ducts that go deeper into the car rather than directly into fragile cooling fins?
Old 09-18-2023, 05:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lefty32
Wait, do we actually need the 2 smallest screens? Are those ducts that go deeper into the car rather than directly into fragile cooling fins?
Bugs will get in. Have to wait for my E-Ray to see where those bugs will end up.

If you don't want them don't add. But like the $699 Scrape Armor mesh (that requires bumper removal to install that does not include them) will look like a youngster waiting for their permeant teeth!

May want to add for esthetics.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:04 AM
gatorfl
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

It looks like they are finally adding that option for the E-ray. I was able to pick the option an hour ago when making a 2LZ but not for the 3LZ. I'm sure they will have the site in full swing by Oct 24th or January when the strike ends.

Either way thats a big price difference and I also don't like the idea of having a new bumper man handled and ripped out. Thanks for putting out other options.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gatorfl
It looks like they are finally adding that option for the E-ray. I was able to pick the option an hour ago when making a 2LZ but not for the 3LZ. I'm sure they will have the site in full swing by Oct 24th or January when the strike ends.

Either way thats a big price difference and I also don't like the idea of having a new bumper man handled and ripped out. Thanks for putting out other options.
Yep, in addition to the satisfaction of a DIY at less cost, my concern was the Courtesy Delivery Dealer messing with the front bumper. Does not look like they get much from GM for the install. The cost from Scrape Armor website is $699 and the cost when placing the order is $895. Not sure if dealer only gets ~$200 for the install as the Mesh would be sent free to them when the car was shipped. GM probably pays Scrape Armor half List price (or less) and may give the Dealer somewhat more allowance for the install.

When my CD dealer thought they might have to remove the rear bumper on my C8 to replace the defective hatch latch/release mechanism (the GM defined procedure,) service manager discussed the issue with me. He said their great C8 Trained tech could do it BUT it's time consuming and moistly body work. He said he would send it to their body shop on their property. He said they are better equipped to do that. In that case talked with the C8 Tech and he thought he could replace the electricals parts without removing the frame and he did!

In the case of the mesh little doubt he would send to the body shop. Looking at the video and the work required to clean the bumper to install the 6 (or perhaps 8) 3M tape attached metal brackets stick, it's not easy. Especially as it would be their 1st one!

Get notified of new replies

To Two E-Ray Options, Grill Screens, Engine Light?

Quick Reply: Two E-Ray Options, Grill Screens, Engine Light?