Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Body colored trim

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 01:57 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 980 Likes on 642 Posts

The Z has the same exact bumper as the ER, so there's no difference in swapping them out. It's purely a distinction between CF and body color accents. I plan to get mine in body color--and immediately remove the center part of the "gums", that the manual tells you to remove if you are tracking it anyways. At that point, I'll re-assess how it looks and wrap accordingly.

It does seem inane though that you can't just get carbon flash mirrors without doing anything else. They just look like they're a blob of color floating out there by itself. But having a CF spoiler breaks up a clean look if you aren't doing CF accents.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3LZR21U:
Hopper12 (12-11-2023), purple heart (02-17-2024)
Old 12-19-2023, 11:42 PM
Q Pilot
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by /Bear/
I wrote about this issue on my website, and I used this photo as an example:

There's an important point about body color accents that I've never seen anyone else mention. Can anyone guess what it is?
Bear. When are you going to reveal the body color accents important point? Christmas present.😉
Old 12-20-2023, 10:17 AM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by vipervetteguy
From what I recall, body colored trim was a very low percentage take on Stingrays and Z06s. Logic would tell me that with carbon flash being a no-cost Eray option, it would be more popular. I have seen almost no (possibly none) pics of Erays with carbon flash trim. So, buyers didn't like monochromatic SR and Zs, but prefer Erays monochromatic? I personally feel the choice is dependent on the color of the car. Some look better to me mono and others look better with black. Our SR and Z were both Arctic White and I felt needed the black trim. Our Eray (January TPW) will also be AW with CF trim. The CF choice changes a bunch in the front of the car, too. Where are pics of CF trimmed Erays??
The body color trim is free on the $$ ERAY vs SR and Z06 for one item, ERAY is more of a GT car theme on GM side and to me the body color parts give a more refined appearance IMHO as marketing would suggest..
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob MacLean:
msm859 (12-20-2023), purple heart (02-17-2024), RiptideHTC (12-21-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 10:28 AM
Davesfastcar
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
The Z has the same exact bumper as the ER, so there's no difference in swapping them out. It's purely a distinction between CF and body color accents. I plan to get mine in body color--and immediately remove the center part of the "gums", that the manual tells you to remove if you are tracking it anyways. At that point, I'll re-assess how it looks and wrap accordingly.

It does seem inane though that you can't just get carbon flash mirrors without doing anything else. They just look like they're a blob of color floating out there by itself. But having a CF spoiler breaks up a clean look if you aren't doing CF accents.
Great idea, I plan to do the same!
The following users liked this post:
purple heart (02-17-2024)
Old 12-20-2023, 11:35 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgfoursixeight
I'm a Blue car fan and have body colored accents on my 23 ELB HTC. When every I see those press pics of the Riptide Eray with the body colored accents, I always think man that is a good looking car! If I was going to order one, that's the car I would get.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:36 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgfoursixeight
I'm a Blue car fan and have body colored accents on my 23 ELB HTC. When every I see those press pics of the Riptide Eray with the body colored accents, I always think man that is a good looking car! If I was going to order one, that's the car I would get.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:52 PM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Wishbone Color

Originally Posted by Fishfryer527
I like the boomerang on the Base car in body color, but for some reason the wishbone in the ERAY/Z06 looks good with the contrast. Maybe the size of the side intakes has something to do with it.
That's sounds good. But after looking at the Cacti Green in person without the black accented Wishbone, I personally think that it looks better with it Black than in body color...that color green anyway. I think I'm liking the Silver Flare Metallic without it though because mine will also have the new Electric Blue body stripe (E-Ray only, at least for now) which kind of offsets the body colored wishbone.

just my 2 cents...
Old 02-07-2024, 05:00 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by purple heart
That's sounds good. But after looking at the Cacti Green in person without the black accented Wishbone, I personally think that it looks better with it Black than in body color...that color green anyway. I think I'm liking the Silver Flare Metallic without it though because mine will also have the new Electric Blue body stripe (E-Ray only, at least for now) which kind of offsets the body colored wishbone.

just my 2 cents...
It has to do with how you plan to outfit the vehicle. CF accents don't work if you plan on doing other accents differently (eg. stripes). CF accents basically take the prime focus of accent--rather than some other type of graphic/s. Especially true if you have body, accents and graphics all being 3 different colors/hues. Even if it's something like White w/ CF accents and Orange stripes...that's still a bit too much going on.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:06 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

The whole body color trim stuff, was an effort to make it distinctive in a GS type car with more class and less race..
Old 02-08-2024, 11:53 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U

Anyone seen what the car would look like with that center section removed?
Old 02-08-2024, 03:11 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

There is a guy on here who actually has body color, but wrapped it so that the center is masked. Looks great.
AmmoVet (02-08-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:31 PM
-ZEEOHSIX-
Burning Brakes

Received 540 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm all for people having options but sometimes that doesn't exactly work out. Now, if someone wanted to have full body-colored trim, I believe they should have the ability to do so. As a prospective buyer, that just means I need to financially account for the immediate changing of said body-colored items as I find it to be a huge detractor to its styling. Like when people put body colored trim on their C7 GS or Z06's. Conversely, I'm sure that folks who want body-colored stuff when the vehicle comes with carbon flash or carbon fiber need to make a similar consideration. Thematically, I just want it all to mesh. I'd hate to have a hodgepodge mix of weirdness because the owner wanted to be special among a sea of other C8's through factory options. I mean, look at some of the interior combinations that are out there in conjunction with the seat belt colors. Goodness some of them are horrendous.

Personally, I'd rather have GM assign themes than let each buyer be allowed to throw together whatever strange combination of things that they wanted. You could argue that it's their money but, they can spend their money in the aftermarket to ruin their car instead of having GM facilitate it.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:38 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

IMHO, the easiest way is to just do everything body color, and wrap it in gloss black if you don't want that part body-color. Becase that's 95% of the look of CF with minimal hassle. Trying to make parts body-color via wrap or paint...is far more difficult.

My plan is to have everything body color, and wrap/cover the mirrors.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:03 PM
RLCullum
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vipervetteguy
From what I recall, body colored trim was a very low percentage take on Stingrays and Z06s. Logic would tell me that with carbon flash being a no-cost Eray option, it would be more popular. I have seen almost no (possibly none) pics of Erays with carbon flash trim. So, buyers didn't like monochromatic SR and Zs, but prefer Erays monochromatic? I personally feel the choice is dependent on the color of the car. Some look better to me mono and others look better with black. Our SR and Z were both Arctic White and I felt needed the black trim. Our Eray (January TPW) will also be AW with CF trim. The CF choice changes a bunch in the front of the car, too. Where are pics of CF trimmed Erays??
I Ordered a yellow one. Black trim is the only logical trim. Can't believe it is a no cost option. Personally I don't care for the body colored trim on any color (except black).
Old 02-28-2024, 01:35 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLCullum
I Ordered a yellow one. Black trim is the only logical trim. Can't believe it is a no cost option. Personally I don't care for the body colored trim on any color (except black).
The ERAY is more of a GT car, to me (and think planned?) its a more subdued sleeper all season car. I'm fond of the "default" distinction from Z06 and SR and first C8 to have it standard and not $$.
I think the crowd such as I, are looking for more GT and less race car look. Cool there are so many choices.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:38 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,156 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob MacLean
The ERAY is more of a GT car, to me (and think planned?) its a more subdued sleeper all season car. I'm fond of the "default" distinction from Z06 and SR and first C8 to have it standard and not $$.
I think the crowd such as I, are looking for more GT and less race car look. Cool there are so many choices.
I want a street car, not a race car.

Quick Reply: Body colored trim