Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

How long are you really waiting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 12:34 PM
WiskyMags
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 27 Posts

So, speaking of waiting (only been 3 years waiting for the ERAY for me, so not that long Here is something that I am concerned with - clearly they are having issues with the car as they still not have given an ERAY to a customer. OK, knowing that and knowing that Tadge said "This is the most complex car every made"..... THAT, along with let's say they don't start releasing cars until June or July of this year, with allocations starting in May or so for orders (there has been squat for allocations so far)... OK, I'll get to my point - I live in a northern climate. Corvettes don't get used much after Sept 1st (people want them for the summer). This car is not ready for prime time. Does any northern customer like myself really want to put in an order on an unproven car, that still has significant issues, and risk taking delivery in October/November/December and immediately put it in storage with the warranty period running the whole time? A proven car like the Stingray or Z06 is one thing - it just seems like a horrible risk to take on a car that sure sounds cool like the Eray, but is a huge risk for the consumer - that is, of course, if GM even releases the Eray to customers. Realistically, this could be the Ford Lightning pickup all over again. Would you be afraid to take delivery and store it for 6 months?
Old 02-15-2024, 12:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,768 Likes on 6,725 Posts

^^^
My E-Ray was built 2/7/2024 and had the same same concern; What's Wrong??

I feel better finding these similar issue with the 1st C8s. Just posted on another Thread. There is a good reason with nothing wrong. Just being careful with new model:

Just found these statements posted about the C8 that may fit. Each bullet was from a separate NON GM person, but logical:
  • Basically, if something slipped-by all the engineers and also wasn't noted in the test fleet, they still have all the initial 2020 C8 production on-site (for the duration of the QC hold) so that they can correct the issue.(My comment, logical for athe long time. Not checking each car just waiting to see if something has been missed which they could fix. Sounds like low probability and after XX cars where nothing is found, that gets to be a very low probability and acceptable risk.)
  • Okay I just learned something. They are not going from car to car checking quality, they are holding the entire fleet in case something universal shows up. That's why they are able to wrap them. (My comment, so they may be wrapped in the BG lot.)
  • There are many processes with regard to quality control at the BGA (Bowling Green Assembly).(My comment: Usually reliable fellow with many Corvette mgt contacts )
    1) Cars are checked by quality control engineers periodically along the assembly line.
    2) Cars are checked by assembly line personnel at the end of the assembly line and then beyond the assembly line in the "Care" line.
    3) Two cars per shift as pulled for what is called the "Global Customer Audit." This involves a team combing over every part of the car plus additional test miles. This lasts several hours.
    4) Normally, cars are held at the plant between one and two weeks. This is the usual quality hold time period. If a batch of parts is discovered to be defective, the cars with that batch of parts can be brought in and the parts replaced before shipping.
    5) The beginning of a model year change, and particularly the beginning of a generation change, always has a longer quality hold which typically lasts four weeks.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-15-2024 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:12 PM
WiskyMags
Advanced

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
My E-Ray was built 2/7/2024 and had the same same concern; What's Wrong??

I feel better finding these similar issue with the 1st C8s. Just posted on another Thread. There is a good reason with nothing wrong. Just being careful with new model:

Just found these statements posted about the C8 that may fit. Each bullet was from a separate NON GM person, but logical:
  • Basically, if something slipped-by all the engineers and also wasn't noted in the test fleet, they still have all the initial 2020 C8 production on-site (for the duration of the QC hold) so that they can correct the issue.(My comment, logical for athe long time. Not checking each car just waiting to see if something has been missed which they could fix. Sounds like low probability and after XX cars where nothing is found, that gets to be a very low probability and acceptable risk.)
  • Okay I just learned something. They are not going from car to car checking quality, they are holding the entire fleet in case something universal shows up. That's why they are able to wrap them. (My comment, so they may be wrapped in the BG lot.)
  • There are many processes with regard to quality control at the BGA (Bowling Green Assembly).(My comment: Usually reliable fellow with many Corvette mgt contacts )
    1) Cars are checked by quality control engineers periodically along the assembly line.
    2) Cars are checked by assembly line personnel at the end of the assembly line and then beyond the assembly line in the "Care" line.
    3) Two cars per shift as pulled for what is called the "Global Customer Audit." This involves a team combing over every part of the car plus additional test miles. This lasts several hours.
    4) Normally, cars are held at the plant between one and two weeks. This is the usual quality hold time period. If a batch of parts is discovered to be defective, the cars with that batch of parts can be brought in and the parts replaced before shipping.
    5) The beginning of a model year change, and particularly the beginning of a generation change, always has a longer quality hold which typically lasts four weeks.
Thanks! I had read this earlier post....

The added issues are for us northern drivers - now is when we would be hoping to order to have them by June... not many folks want to order a car in August and receive in December and just put away for 3-4 months. Secondly - the rumored interior update - there may not be any ERay releases prior to the 2025 changes? In other words, does anyone think there will be a 2024 MY Eray?
Old 02-15-2024, 02:22 PM
imaposer
Pro

Received 441 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by WiskyMags
Thanks! I had read this earlier post....

The added issues are for us northern drivers - now is when we would be hoping to order to have them by June... not many folks want to order a car in August and receive in December and just put away for 3-4 months. Secondly - the rumored interior update - there may not be any ERay releases prior to the 2025 changes? In other words, does anyone think there will be a 2024 MY Eray?
The fact that there are already cars down the production line means there are 2024 erays. It may end up being an incredibly small number of cars released to the public for the MY, but they're already made.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:04 PM
WiskyMags
Advanced

Originally Posted by imaposer
The fact that there are already cars down the production line means there are 2024 erays. It may end up being an incredibly small number of cars released to the public for the MY, but they're already made.
Good point......
Old 02-15-2024, 03:53 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,251 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I don’t know. But am having second thoughts about the ERay. While I like the car, my son is excited about a Porsche. It makes sense. We already have a Corvette, and replacing it with another Corvette of the same generation won’t have as much novelty - even if it is the first AWD hybrid corvette.
While the interior was pretty much the same, the change from a Z51 to a Z06 was pretty exciting. It didn't simply feel like a stingray with a few more HP; the whole driving experience felt different. Hopefully the e-ray will provide you with a similar experience, although I don't expect the change to be as drastic as going to a Z06.
Old 02-15-2024, 04:45 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by imaposer
Yep, mine built last week, 2/7/2024 it reached 3800, is a 2024.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:11 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 979 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by WiskyMags
So, speaking of waiting (only been 3 years waiting for the ERAY for me, so not that long
That's my point in the OP. You haven't been waiting 3 years. You've been in line 3 years, but you've been waiting about 1-1.5 months right now.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:13 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 979 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
While the interior was pretty much the same, the change from a Z51 to a Z06 was pretty exciting. It didn't simply feel like a stingray with a few more HP; the whole driving experience felt different. Hopefully the e-ray will provide you with a similar experience, although I don't expect the change to be as drastic as going to a Z06.
I think the change will be drastic, but in the other direction. And just not as pronounced for most--as gearheads (who would buy a Z06 anyways) are most likely to notice such things. Apart from acceleration and comfort, you'd really have to take it to a track to get understand how AWD changes up the overall handling/feel.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:59 AM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty32
So if they switch over model year at the end of June as some speculate, that would mean that MY2024 will see less than 1000 ERays built?
That may be true but I like the idea of a "interior refresh" on the C8 and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't ask the dealer to put to beginning of the 2025 model year ER. I am currently #9 at Stingray Chevrolet. I mean here it is February already and it the June start up date for the 2025's is true, I'm really considering waiting the next year's model...?
Old 02-17-2024, 02:04 AM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

I heard on one of Rick Corvette Conti, a salesman on YouTube that 23 were made in January and that was for all of the dealerships in the country!
I don't know..........
Old 02-17-2024, 06:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
There have been very few E-Rays dealers were given the ability to order. Thought it was in the 80s, perhaps `100 since the start in ~January.

There were >100 or more built ~September, called "saleable" as they were built as if customer cars BUT were only for GM folks to drive and report any issues found. etc. It was said they will be sold as used cars at some point.

Quick Reply: How long are you really waiting?