Had My E-Ray Alignment Checked

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 01:40 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

Default Had My E-Ray Alignment Checked

Have about 1000 miles and driven over enough RR Tracks to have the suspension bushings worn it! GM is fussy having alignments done on warranty. Requires relative low miles and "customer" mentioning some steering issues. In addition to E-Ray pulling slightly to the right on our narrow rural roads (because of rain drain road camber, all cars will pull slightly) mine is a bit jumpy on some roads. The Chevy Service Writer carefully wrote down my statements for his warranty reimbursement paperwork.

Reminded of some of what I felt was similar my 2017 Grand Sport with its wide tires grabbing when driving in the right lane on the 4-lane divided highway at the end of our rural road. With heavy trucks driving in the right lane (many log trucks going to the papermill) they create mostly invisible ruts. The 275 front and 345-section width tires grab the rut edges! Also trying out Lane Maintainer and in the right lane between the two, steering is a bit jerky.

The Chevy/BMW/Mercedes dealer in town, who also did my 2017 Gand Sport alignment, have a new Hunter drive on rack and measuring equipment.

The only alignment specs in the Owner's Manual are for Tracking (~2.5 camber) so tech used the Hunter Specs. Thankfully it showed:
"E-Ray with RPO FE5 Suspension (with All-Season tires) and FED ZER Suspension (with Summer tires, which I have.)"
Specs:
Front Camber (Left and Right) of -1.0 deg. The allowed range +/- 0.6 degrees.
Toe Total of + 0.10 (-0.05 min; +0,15)
Caster = +8.0 (acceptable range +8.6 to +7.4)

Rear Camber (Left and Right) of -1.0 deg. The allowed range +/- 0.6 degrees
Caster: Hunter did not measure rear caster. Nor would I left anyone other than one experienced with racing and having done many Vettes touch those adjustments! A number of posts where handling was terrible when rear Caster was not done properly!

Unlike my C7 Grand Sport where particularly rear camber was near MAX negative and I had brought closer to centerline, all my E-Ray values were close to the centerline spec. No adjustment needed.

Yep, the steering issues I feel are road related. Also, a small amount of torque steer for an instant when accelerating.
The following users liked this post:
cwaddell (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 03:00 PM
cwaddell
Instructor

Received 254 Likes on 117 Posts

Good info, thanks for sharing!
JerryU (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 09:58 PM
Bluehinder
Drifting

Received 1,333 Likes on 547 Posts

So what's the take home message?
Old 04-12-2024, 09:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
So what's the take home message?
As I did:
  • With my 2017 Grand Sport (and had it changed from near Max allowed in the rear of -1.7 degrees Camber to about mid-range, -1.0 degrees) or
  • My 2020 C8 where when checked all were close to centerline EXCEPT one rear toe in Red, which was fixed.
  • My E-Ray, checked and found most were centerline so no change needed:
ALL on GM's dime before ~1000 miles. Suggest having a least ~500 miles so suspension bushings have a chance to wear-in. But not much more than ~1000 or GM will not do on Warranty. And DON"T ask for a free alignment. There is no such thing (unless dealer does gratis.)

Suggest saying "Feels like it's pulling somewhat to the right." It will do that on all narrow two-lane roads where the "road camber" is built to have rain run to the edges. Service writer needs to put some customer comment as an "issue" on the on the warranty submission paperwork. In my case with the wide E-Ray tires it does grab ruts on the right lane of a four-lane highway where heavy log trucks often travel. Can't see them BUT can feel the car jerk as the tires hit the edges. Service Writer wrote that down as well. It will do that on multilane asphalt roads where heavy trucks travel on the right lane. Wider tires make it worse. In my case wanted to be sure it was the road NOT alignment.

If you're not capable of detecting or don't want to say that, just leave it as it is and live with whatever tire wear you get! BTW anytime you get new tires or even between, smart to pay for an alignment. Does not take but a few hard hits in potholes etc to have it go outside of even GM's wide allowed range.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-13-2024 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:01 AM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
As I did:
  • With my 2017 Grand Sport (and had it changed from near Max allowed in the rear of -1.7 degrees Camber to about mid-range, -1.0 degrees) or
  • My 2020 C8 where when checked all were close to centerline EXCEPT one rear toe in Red, which was fixed.
  • My E-Ray, checked and found most were centerline so no change needed:
ALL on GM's dime before ~1000 miles. Suggest having a least ~500 miles so suspension bushings have a chance to wear-in. But not much more than ~1000 or GM will not do on Warranty. And DON"T ask for a free alignment. There is no such thing (unless dealer does gratis.)

Suggest saying "Feels like it's pulling somewhat to the right." It will do that on all narrow two-lane roads where the "road camber" is built to have rain run to the edges. Service writer needs to put some customer comment as an "issue" on the on the warranty submission paperwork. In my case with the wide E-Ray tires it does grab ruts on the right lane of a four-lane highway where heavy log trucks often travel. Can't see them BUT can feel the car jerk as the tires hit the edges. Service Writer wrote that down as well. It will do that on multilane asphalt roads where heavy trucks travel on the right lane. Wider tires make it worse. In my case wanted to be sure it was the road NOT alignment.

If you're not capable of detecting or don't want to say that, just leave it as it is and live with whatever tire wear you get! BTW anytime you get new tires or even between, smart to pay for an alignment. Does not take but a few hard hits in potholes etc to have it go outside of even GM's wide allowed range.
Great post. I always felt my 23 Stingray pulled "somewhat to the right". With over 3000 miles now sounds like I won't be able to get the alignment check under warranty. It was strange when I took delivery, drove out of the dealership and hit the first little bump in the road, I heard a loud clunk from the suspension. I assume the suspension components had just settled in.
JerryU (04-28-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:26 AM
Kiv
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have about 1000 miles and driven over enough RR Tracks to have the suspension bushings worn it! GM is fussy having alignments done on warranty. Requires relative low miles and "customer" mentioning some steering issues. In addition to E-Ray pulling slightly to the right on our narrow rural roads (because of rain drain road camber, all cars will pull slightly) mine is a bit jumpy on some roads. The Chevy Service Writer carefully wrote down my statements for his warranty reimbursement paperwork.

Reminded of some of what I felt was similar my 2017 Grand Sport with its wide tires grabbing when driving in the right lane on the 4-lane divided highway at the end of our rural road. With heavy trucks driving in the right lane (many log trucks going to the papermill) they create mostly invisible ruts. The 275 front and 345-section width tires grab the rut edges! Also trying out Lane Maintainer and in the right lane between the two, steering is a bit jerky.

The Chevy/BMW/Mercedes dealer in town, who also did my 2017 Gand Sport alignment, have a new Hunter drive on rack and measuring equipment.

The only alignment specs in the Owner's Manual are for Tracking (~2.5 camber) so tech used the Hunter Specs. Thankfully it showed:
"E-Ray with RPO FE5 Suspension (with All-Season tires) and FED ZER Suspension (with Summer tires, which I have.)"
Specs:
Front Camber (Left and Right) of -1.0 deg. The allowed range +/- 0.6 degrees.
Caster = +8.0 (acceptable range +8.6 to +7.4)

Rear Camber (Left and Right) of -1.0 deg. The allowed range +/- 0.6 degrees
Caster: Hunter did not measure rear caster. Nor would I left anyone other than one experienced with racing and having done many Vettes touch those adjustments! A number of posts where handling was terrible when rear Caster was not done properly!

Unlike my C7 Grand Sport where particularly rear camber was near MAX negative and I had brought closer to centerline, all my E-Ray values were close to the centerline spec. No adjustment needed.

Yep, the steering issues I feel are road related. Also, a small amount of torque steer for an instant when accelerating.
Thanks for the info
Old 05-01-2024, 12:49 AM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Received 477 Likes on 274 Posts

Jerry, do you realize that if they adjusted your rear camber, they also adjusted your rear caster? You cannot leave the caster adjustments alone because they are the same adjusters for camber. It sounds like they did not adjust rear camber, so you still have the factory caster adjustment though.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
For my C7 Grand Sport where they changed my rear camber from close to the max allowed for street driving -1.7 degrees to ~ 1 they did not touch the rear caster adjustments that are different. I have the 4 volume C7 service manuals. Would not allow anyone except someone who had the experience setting up Tracking Vettes touch the "different" caster adjustments and know how to use the special measurement tool! A number of reports where it was done incorrectly and created significant issues.

Don't recall reading where the rear caster adjustments are for the C8 or what special measurement tool might be needed. My inexpensive CD C8 service manual is too hard to search. Perhaps one with better source can check.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:09 AM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

^^^
For my C7 Grand Sport where they changed my rear camber from close to the max allowed for street driving -1.7 degrees to ~ 1 they did not touch the rear caster adjustments that are different. I have the 4 volume C7 service manuals. Would not allow anyone except someone who had the experience setting up Tracking Vettes touch the "different" caster adjustments and know how to use the special measurement tool! A number of reports where it was done incorrectly and created significant issues.

Don't recall reading where the rear caster adjustments are for the C8 or what special measurement tool might be needed. My inexpensive CD C8 service manual is too hard to search. Perhaps one with better source can check.
Sorry but that is incorrect information. I have a C7 and i do my own alignments, so I have first hand experience with adjusting rear camber. There is no separate caster adjustment. There are two cams on the rear lower control arms. These two cams adjust both camber and caster. Camber is adjusted by moving both cams inward or outward in the same direction. Caster is adjusted by moving the cams in opposite directions. If you adjust a single cam, you are effecting both camber and caster at the same time.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Enough posts like these below that I would not allow the average Tech to measure or adjust rear caster.

Post 1: The 2 tools needed are Digital Angle Gauge Adapter (CH-47960-10) & Digital Angle Gauge itself (CH-47960). These tools are not normally kept at dealers due to the very high cost & limited use/need. They are ordered by the dealer thru GM Special Tools website thru the Global Connect Link which has a LOAN TOOL button that is accessed once at the Global Connect Link site. The tools are shipped 2 day delivery to dealer & can be kept for I believe 48 hrs at no cost to YOU or dealer, then shipped back. So they should get tool ordered & your appointment co-ordinated to meet these requirements. Just double checked my info on Google. The dealer has to be in the tool loan subscription program (annual fee) & the tool can be kept 5 days.

Post 2:
THIS!!! I was told the same thing AFTER they did my alignment and it was so out of whack afterwards that the car felt EXTREMELY unstable over bumps. I ended up taking it to TPC in Maryland to get the alignment done correctly and they said my rear drivers side caster was +1.7 degrees and the passenger side rear caster was -1 degree. Basically, it was WAYY out. If you have the same luck I did, you won't find a dealership that can do the alignment properly. I called 10 dealerships and NONE of them had the tool or even knew what I was talking about (2 of the dealerships were SPECIFICALLY Corvette dealerships). Check out the video here if you want to hear/see more:

Other similar with misadjusted Caster:

Perhaps I read incorrectly but know toe and camber were iterative but thought Caster was not as significantly affected as it is with toe. Tech had to adjust both on my 2017 Grand Sport rear toe and camber several times. They not only did not have the measurement tool (or probably how to use) but would not allow them to adjust if they did, because of the folks who said it was screwed up badly after they had an alignment.! Started at 16-133 with pics of how to install and use measurement tool. Step 6 was install Caster measurement tool.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-01-2024 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:45 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

I would say that if you let them adjust camber, then by default you have let them adjust caster. And if they do not measure and adjust caster, they probably messed it up. There is always the possibility they got lucky and the caster was OK. That could only happen if they moved each cam the exact same amount, and that is not likely since the cams tend to be not very precise.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
That was two Vettes ago and my 2017 Grand Sport where the rear camber adjustments were made. Rear camber from the factory was ~1.7 near the max in GM allowed range. Car handled great for the 3 1/2 years I had it.

My 2020 C8 Z51 did not need any change in camber, only a rear toe adjustment. Car sold as well.

As I noted for my E-Ray all was close to center of GM acceptable range so no changes. In neither case did they measure rear caster!

Get notified of new replies

To Had My E-Ray Alignment Checked

Quick Reply: Had My E-Ray Alignment Checked