Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantages/Disadvantages of ME?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:45 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by WesC7
I was unsuccessful searching for a thread which discussed the advantages and disadvantages of the ME for the "normal", everyday Corvette driver. With weight distribution in the C7 about as close to 50/50 as they can get, I'm wondering what the ME will provide that the C7 doesn't already offer.
- Less/no trunk space

- Icy/cold moment of inertia improvements

- 20K MSRP price increase

- Lower front hood

- Bragging rights (why anyone would brag is beyond me, since for example the GS beat the snot out of the 200K NSX ME design at VIR)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Just happened to come by this thread again. Yes, I did understand what you said and the problem still exists. You are adding something to change the direction of power flow. It takes gears or even a chain to do that. By the way the chain on the Toronado was an excellent solution it was tough, compact and efficient. The big problem none of that is as efficient as driving directly into the transmission with a straight driveshaft. Then you would also have to lengthen the rear of the car by about a foot to make room for the transmission. As for moving the occupants rearward you might gain 6 inches but then gas tank location plus the rear wheel location with the clearance needed around the wheels along with increased road noise issues becomes a consideration.

Bill

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You don't have a clue as to what I just said, so I'll try and save writing six thousand words by showing you six photographs instead. Then maybe you will understand, that I'm not talking about chains, engines over the transmission, front drive cars with traverse mounted engines, etc.

This photo is of the C7. Kindly notice that it has a front mounted engine with the power going through the torque tube into the transmission that is mounted in front of the differential, and then into the differential.

This photo is of the Mercedes AMG GT. Kindly notice that it has a front mounted engine with the power going through the torque tube into the transmission that is mounted behind the differential. The transmission is designed to then route the power 180 degrees(without using a chain) into the differential.

If you can understand the photos, then you will see why the passenger compartment is located closer to the rear axle on the AMG GT than with the C7 and you will see why the AMG GT has a better weight distribution(47/53) than the C7.

Here is a photo of the Porsche transaxle(from the Boxster) that has the bellhousing on the right(that bolts to the engine or can bolted to a torque tube like is used in the C7 and the AMG GT)with the power going into the transmission that is located behind the differential, and the power is then directed 180 degrees to go to the pinon and ring gear in the differential. The photo is perfectly clear as to how this happens. No chains, belts or ropes required. This design transaxle does not raise the mass to a higher point than the mass of the C7's transaxle. No change in the height of the center of gravity as you claim.

If GM does release a mid engine car(whether it be as a Corvette and/or a Cadillac) the transmission will have to be located behind the differential(if you don't want to share the passenger compartment with the engine). That same transmission can then be shared with the front engine C8(economies of scale) to help lower the cost of the transmission.

Speaking of mid engine cars from GM, notice how the muffler and tailpipes are designed on the AMG GT in the photo above. Now look at the photos of the camo'd mid engine GM car and its exhaust pipes and muffler(behind the expanded meal screen). Clear indication that the mid engine GM car has a transaxle with the transmission located behind the differential.

Here is a photo of a mid engine car under construction that uses a Chevy LS engine bolted to a transaxle that has the transmission located behind the differential. If you wanted this particular car to be a front engine design, then stick a 6' long torque tube between the engine and the transaxle., and locate the passenger compartment as close to the rear axle as possible.

AS can be clearly seen, if the transmission was located between the engine and the differential, then the engine would be sitting between the driver's and the passenger's seats, making for a very uncomfortable ride.

Also notice that with the design of this particular transaxle, the center of gravity is very low.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Lots of advantages there, well done!

Disadvantage, GM is new to making ME work for a production car, save the Fiero which didn't exactly have a stellar run although I loved my 87 at the time. It will be interesting to see how well sorted out the driving dynamics are for a completely new layout.

That being said, it will be our next new Corvette/Zora, whatever they end up calling it.

PC
Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Dynamics aside, mid engine styling is not as attractive, to the grand touring crowd.

Nearly every mid-engine car to me looks like it's been in a front end collision. Hilariously short hoods versus elongated rears. Lambos look the most ridiculous.

Personally I'd take an 812 Superfast over a LaFerrari or even a 488. There is something about a GT that just is better.

Corvette will continue to offer a GT (for traditional customers) and will add the Mid-Engine as a "hyper car" bragging rights machine.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 08-06-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Advantages/Disadvantages of ME?