Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What harm would if be for GM to....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Default What harm would if be for GM to....

Maybe I am over simplifying this, but at this point why doesn't GM come out and talk about many of the general specifics of the ME. For example the nameplate, Caddy or Chevy, when we can expect for it to be presented to the public, date it can be purchased, and some other things. I don't understand why they just don't clear up a lot of rumors that seem to be hurting the ME before it is event released.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 08-14-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I don't know why they are so close-mouthed about this.
The best I can come up with is they're not sure themselves at this point.
The following users liked this post:
conceptmachine (08-17-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:27 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Speculation creates more chatter and anticipation than facts
Old 08-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Speculation creates more chatter and anticipation than facts
Probably so. In any case, I'm confident that OEMs such as GM have a lot of statistics and experience to guide them in deciding when and how much to disclose regarding future model plans. I suspect that factors affecting these decisions include things like the effect on current model sales.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:31 PM
HoldHard
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

It's called marketing..... They even have people in charge of it at GM.... click Harlan Charles....

HH
Old 08-14-2017, 04:52 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Maybe I am over simplifying this, but at this point why doesn't GM come out and talk about many of the general specifics of the ME. For example the nameplate, Caddy or Chevy, when we can expect for it to be presented to the public, date it can be purchased, and some other things. I don't understand why they just don't clear up a lot of rumors that seem to be hurting the ME before it is event released.
Have you read "All Corvettes Are Red"? Two factors stated in that book haven't changed.

1) In the 1990's, Corvette generated as much positive press as the rest of the entire GM line-up combined. Today, all the speculation in the press puts the name "Corvette" in front of millions of readers regularly....AND GM pays nothing for this press coverage. Did you notice that one of the ZR1 prototypes SLOWED UP on a highway test run to allow spy photos to be taken. GM loves all the free, positive publicity Corvette gets. And when a date comes and goes, they don't look like fools, the press gets beat up regularly on forums like this for the error.
2) Consider that the C5 was set to be released as a MY 1993. Yup, the C5 was set to be launched as part of the 40 year celebration of Corvette. But that didn't happen. So it was pushed back to 1994, no wait, there are some problems, make that 1995. No, wait more issues, 1996. No wait some more fine tuning, 1997. No, wait make that late in the model year 1997. Meanwhile all the speculators looked foolish when the C5 wasn't released.
Some can say what they want, but I think it's a brilliant tactic to avoid criticism and generate tons of free press.
rcooper (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 09:52 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Have you read "All Corvettes Are Red"? Two factors stated in that book haven't changed.

1) In the 1990's, Corvette generated as much positive press as the rest of the entire GM line-up combined. Today, all the speculation in the press puts the name "Corvette" in front of millions of readers regularly....AND GM pays nothing for this press coverage. Did you notice that one of the ZR1 prototypes SLOWED UP on a highway test run to allow spy photos to be taken. GM loves all the free, positive publicity Corvette gets. And when a date comes and goes, they don't look like fools, the press gets beat up regularly on forums like this for the error.
2) Consider that the C5 was set to be released as a MY 1993. Yup, the C5 was set to be launched as part of the 40 year celebration of Corvette. But that didn't happen. So it was pushed back to 1994, no wait, there are some problems, make that 1995. No, wait more issues, 1996. No wait some more fine tuning, 1997. No, wait make that late in the model year 1997. Meanwhile all the speculators looked foolish when the C5 wasn't released.
Some can say what they want, but I think it's a brilliant tactic to avoid criticism and generate tons of free press.
Yes, and do recall this, however, in this case I think it is counter productive, as so many rumors that are floating around eventually people loose interest. I am not saying GM should spill all the beans, but at least verify the nameplate, and price RANGE. I know some GM reps have stated "facts", but these are not official, the are off the record comments. The problem is within the car circles GM is getting criticized and the free press is negative on many aspects of the ME, other then the car rags that generate their own sales.

I think if the MARKETING is done right, this would be a great time to generate so much free publicity, if they just wet the appetite. Remember before the C7 was release the campaign they had each week of giving just a slight bit of info on the internet, why not now?

With all due respect to your comment, much of the strategy from the C5 era does not apply as the internet, and other public media has grown so much, the best publicity generated today is across the public media, not the news and car rags. I appreciate you comment, and the ALL CORVETTES ARE RED book is excellent for insight, but dated in many respects also, as the world of marketing is changing daily with so much growth with personal communication devices etc.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:06 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

In many respects, internet and social media be damned, nothing has changed much. GM gets all the free publicity it wants, any missed deadlines or plan changes are written off to bad rumors by people not actually in the loop, and anticipation grows exponentially as forums such as this one fill up with posts by people who "know someone who knows someone who lives next door to a guy who sat next to a guy on the bus who heard from his third cousin . . . ." all about the New Corvette. It has ALWAYS been this way.

Those who know, don't talk. Those who talk, don't know. That's how GM wants it, and it is a proven formula.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:59 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I don't know why they are so close-mouthed about this.
The best I can come up with is they're not sure themselves at this point.
To me, the best reason is that they still have to sell cars they are still making. They have been typically closed mouth about the cars that are coming. Once they spill the beans about the additional horsepower and significant upgrades, who wants to buy their current cars? At the end of the day, they are still bean counters (even though I love the cars they are making and probably will make in the future).
Old 08-15-2017, 11:19 AM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
To me, the best reason is that they still have to sell cars they are still making. They have been typically closed mouth about the cars that are coming. Once they spill the beans about the additional horsepower and significant upgrades, who wants to buy their current cars? At the end of the day, they are still bean counters (even though I love the cars they are making and probably will make in the future).
This is true. At the bash this year Harlan and Tadge both said the same thing. Don't wait, go buy a corvette now. No need to worry about the future products.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:05 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

^^^ ALL salesman say that.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

It's so all the online forums for Corvettes will be starting threads about the mid-engine.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

First issue is talking about a product release date can stall sales of current product.
Second issue is they want to build Hype so when the car is introduced it will sell well
Third issue is they may not want to release any info until they know when the car will actually start coming off the production line. They won't want to say it will come out on xxxx date and then as the date rolls around have to say it will be 45 days later. There are always delays when introducing new products due to failed tests, logistics issues that suddenly crop up or just **** happens.

Bill
Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 PM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
I think Apple knows the best answer to that question. They do the same each and every year with their product launches...and it works out amazingly well for them.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:04 AM
DracoDan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Because of the Osborne effect!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
The following 3 users liked this post by DracoDan:
millpond (08-17-2017), roadbike56 (08-17-2017), sunsalem (08-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To What harm would if be for GM to....

Quick Reply: What harm would if be for GM to....