Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Mid-Engine: Not All Bunny Rabbits & Rainbows

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:30 AM
Zeke.Malvo
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Ford guys dig Ford motors. Chevy guys dig ls or LT motors.

The LT1 and LT 4 or even the upcoming LT5 supercharged motors are preferred by corvette enthusiasts.

Small packaging lightweight and inexpensive as well as reliable are Chevy ohv hallmarks.

Whatever GM decodes to use to power the rear mid engine corvette is cool with us. The low cost,reliability and power are what we want.

The transmission would be a manual, a dct or a 10 speed torque converter automatic.

Rear mid engine will make corvette buyers go Gaga over it ...

And it will allow the camaro to evolve to a sleeker design 2 plus 2 much as we can see the mustang gt is evolving into. Leaving the retro pony car theme behind considering how much the higher output 2 plus 2 front engine competirs can go up to...

We will see soon enough....and hear what will be powering our American sports car super car icon. I'm hopeful for something similiar in shape and size to the mclaren 675 spyder I recently saw...

To my eye it was just about perfect but at 429 grand I would not purchase...

Hopefully we'll see more affordable reasonably priced corvette.
It's not about preferring a "Ford" engine. I'm just trying to show that the OHV engine is no longer a cheaper and lighter alternative to a DOHC. I don't think moving to a DOHC would be a bad idea at all, especially since it would allow it to compete better internationally with smaller displacement.

On top of all that, IMO, I think it would sound better as well.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:00 AM
formulaWA
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
As an M3 V8 owner, the motor is $25K installed for a replacement. Extended warranties are the only way to go on cars like that. Anxiously awaiting how the ME Corvette unfolds...
Ouch!
That kinda engine pricing makes electric look better all the time. The new upgraded battery pack that extends the Tesla roadster to 400 miles range is about the same price. Additionally owner experience is showing that the battery packs are considerably more durable than even Tesla had initially predicted. Some owners are showing less than 10% degradation at 200,000 miles.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/29/ta...at-200k-miles/

https://electrek.co/2016/11/01/tesla...y-degradation/

Given the research and progress an electric option is only going to become more realistic....
Old 11-04-2017, 11:43 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

If I was in the market for a luxury sedan, it would be the Tesla...hands down.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (11-16-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 02:34 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

I dread the day the e-ray is shown with a 12 speaker bose that "simulate" a V-8. haha

yes yes.. I'm sure it will be quicker... but..
Old 11-04-2017, 06:43 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo
It's not about preferring a "Ford" engine. I'm just trying to show that the OHV engine is no longer a cheaper and lighter alternative to a DOHC. I don't think moving to a DOHC would be a bad idea at all, especially since it would allow it to compete better internationally with smaller displacement.

On top of all that, IMO, I think it would sound better as well.
I'm not cool convinced our data on engine spec is correct on weight,size and power as it's just this year the Dohc Ford motor finally matches the LT1 and I believe with the manual the camaro ss and ss 1LE and the ZL1 are still quicker or as quick and are cheaper to produce than the competitors motors.

Of course I'm biased so take that into consideration as we are on the corvetteforum. I don't want to be rude to a Ford fanatic as I think it's a great product too especially this year.

I'm not delving into detailed factoids to back up my statements ...just that I've read the weight aspect your referring to wasn't exactly referred for its accuracy in the past if I remember correctly...but I don't want to get into it..

All I will say is I personally prefer GMs LT1 hp and tq curves...as well as the LT4 and LT5 upcoming. I like the space efficiency , fuel efficiency, the compact and durable designs ...so much so I'm hopeful we can get a slightly hotter LT1 with 500 ho for the new rear mid engine corvette c8...

I'd like a dct if possible..otherwise I'll probably stick with the manuals as I have for the past four decades...

If I bought a c7? I pretty much was resigned to the 650 hp z06 for something different than my current ls3 z51 m6...

But the car is so dead reliable and inexpensive to upkeep..I can't see myself selling it yet even with the 115k miles I put on it.

I like the fact the corvette engine is a derivative of the truck engines....they are really durable and really inexpensive to maintain..

This is my third new corvette since the c5 rolled out.

I use my cars everyday....and the low upkeep and daily dependability makes my life better and I get to drive a hell of a fun sports car...

I don't want to trade the aspects I mentioned I admire in the previous ohv corvette engines to get a Dohc product""

If GM decides to go for the change...I'll trust them and be happy...but for my money...buying new...even with this exotic rear mid engine design..I'd rather have a hotted up LT1 to -500 hp and call it a day for about five grand mor than today's front engine stingray...

I do love the sound of the Ford flat plan crank gt350r but it's actual performance does less to impress me....and I don't mean that as an insult....

I'd just rather spend the same money give or take a few bucks and have a LT4 powerplant...I think the ZL1 pretty much outperforms the Ford Mustang gt350 even with its flat plan crank...beautifully sounding Dohc motor..

I actually tend to think today's Ford performance pack 2 is a better way to go than the more expensive gt350...costs being a factor especially with the old dealer markup....Ford dealers were pushing sometimes after the release..
Old 11-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Zeke.Malvo
Cruising

I'm not cool convinced our data on engine spec is correct on weight,size and power as it's just this year the Dohc Ford motor finally matches the LT1 and I believe with the manual the camaro ss and ss 1LE and the ZL1 are still quicker or as quick and are cheaper to produce than the competitors motors.

Of course I'm biased so take that into consideration as we are on the corvetteforum. I don't want to be rude to a Ford fanatic as I think it's a great product too especially this year.

I'm not delving into detailed factoids to back up my statements ...just that I've read the weight aspect your referring to wasn't exactly referred for its accuracy in the past if I remember correctly...but I don't want to get into it..

All I will say is I personally prefer GMs LT1 hp and tq curves...as well as the LT4 and LT5 upcoming. I like the space efficiency , fuel efficiency, the compact and durable designs ...so much so I'm hopeful we can get a slightly hotter LT1 with 500 ho for the new rear mid engine corvette c8...

I'd like a dct if possible..otherwise I'll probably stick with the manuals as I have for the past four decades...

If I bought a c7? I pretty much was resigned to the 650 hp z06 for something different than my current ls3 z51 m6...

But the car is so dead reliable and inexpensive to upkeep..I can't see myself selling it yet even with the 115k miles I put on it.

I like the fact the corvette engine is a derivative of the truck engines....they are really durable and really inexpensive to maintain..

This is my third new corvette since the c5 rolled out.

I use my cars everyday....and the low upkeep and daily dependability makes my life better and I get to drive a hell of a fun sports car...

I don't want to trade the aspects I mentioned I admire in the previous ohv corvette engines to get a Dohc product""

If GM decides to go for the change...I'll trust them and be happy...but for my money...buying new...even with this exotic rear mid engine design..I'd rather have a hotted up LT1 to -500 hp and call it a day for about five grand mor than today's front engine stingray...

I do love the sound of the Ford flat plan crank gt350r but it's actual performance does less to impress me....and I don't mean that as an insult....

I'd just rather spend the same money give or take a few bucks and have a LT4 powerplant...I think the ZL1 pretty much outperforms the Ford Mustang gt350 even with its flat plan crank...beautifully sounding Dohc motor..

I actually tend to think today's Ford performance pack 2 is a better way to go than the more expensive gt350...costs being a factor especially with the old dealer markup....Ford dealers were pushing sometimes after the release..
I'm not trying to make this a Ford thing at all. I'm just using it as a comparison to show that it may be time now where a DOHC design could prove to be the better performer overall. I'm using it as a comparison to show that Ford was able to make a competitive DOHC that cost over 40% less (in crate engine form), and I'm sure GM could do the same with a DOHC design.

I've never had any problems or extra maintenance with a DOHC engine. My '03 Cobra ran for 120k miles at 460rwhp with absolutely zero issues when I sold it. My current Hyundai has 80k with zero issues (other than a starter). Same with the OHV's that I've owned in the form of my old '93 5.0, '97 Z28, and '98 Z28.

I will say I'm biased, but that would be only towards domestic makes. I'm just not a fan of German cars, they always seem to have electrical problems for whatever reason.

The current performance discrepancy between the Mustang and Camaro IMO is the superior hand me down Alpha chassis the camaro is based off of.

If the C7 offered something similar to the Voodoo, it would have been in my garage yesterday.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo
I'm not trying to make this a Ford thing at all. I'm just using it as a comparison to show that it may be time now where a DOHC design could prove to be the better performer overall. I'm using it as a comparison to show that Ford was able to make a competitive DOHC that cost over 40% less (in crate engine form), and I'm sure GM could do the same with a DOHC design.

I've never had any problems or extra maintenance with a DOHC engine. My '03 Cobra ran for 120k miles at 460rwhp with absolutely zero issues when I sold it. My current Hyundai has 80k with zero issues (other than a starter). Same with the OHV's that I've owned in the form of my old '93 5.0, '97 Z28, and '98 Z28.

I will say I'm biased, but that would be only towards domestic makes. I'm just not a fan of German cars, they always seem to have electrical problems for whatever reason.

The current performance discrepancy between the Mustang and Camaro IMO is the superior hand me down Alpha chassis the camaro is based off of.

If the C7 offered something similar to the Voodoo, it would have been in my garage yesterday.
We can agree to disagree..I prefer the ohv LT1 engine to the wonderful Ford voodoo engine.

I prefer low cost maintaince of the LT powertrains to fords but I am biased . I really cringe at the thought of German maintaince and repairs. Seems as though the expiration of the warranty is a sales tool as it forces those that believe the german brands are better are extremely fearful of their potiential engine repairs ...and for good reason...

I also have a Dohc v6 direct injected v6 that costs the same to build as the ls3 engine in the camaro.

The price differential to the consumer is because GM knows for those
Who want performance...the ls3 was 10 grand more expensive....to purchase but the cost to build was equal..

Just food for thought.,

I'm a huge fan of the tough reliable powerful engine platform GM currently offers

Just my perspective and I respect that you believe otherwise
Old 11-05-2017, 12:51 AM
Zeke.Malvo
Cruising

We can agree to disagree..I prefer the ohv LT1 engine to the wonderful Ford voodoo engine.

I prefer low cost maintaince of the LT powertrains to fords but I am biased . I really cringe at the thought of German maintaince and repairs. Seems as though the expiration of the warranty is a sales tool as it forces those that believe the german brands are better are extremely fearful of their potiential engine repairs ...and for good reason...

I also have a Dohc v6 direct injected v6 that costs the same to build as the ls3 engine in the camaro.

The price differential to the consumer is because GM knows for those
Who want performance...the ls3 was 10 grand more expensive....to purchase but the cost to build was equal..

Just food for thought.,

I'm a huge fan of the tough reliable powerful engine platform GM currently offers

Just my perspective and I respect that you believe otherwise
There's a big difference in content and supporting parts between a v6 camaro and an SS. Saying the $10k difference came from the engine alone is silly. On top of that, the LS3 is dead. The new LT1 is heavier and much more expensive with nearly nothing in common with the LS3.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:33 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

There is no question smaller DOHC motors are coming. But it’s not because they are better, it’s because CAFE rules will require the greater efficiency they provide. Your wallet will suffer. Performance won’t necessarily improve.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM
conceptmachine
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm more of a ford guy but i don't give a rip what engine it has in it. Just keep it as light as possible, no cylinder deactivation BS and 650+ hp FI, to debut , and I'll be happy. If it comes with only 500 hp, no thanks. If its got 600 HP NA , ill think about it.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:44 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

There may be a method to the OP's madness. Volvo, Audi, VW, Toyota and many, many other mfg.s have standardized on turbocharged I-4's as their "baseline engines". That has resulted in some pretty nice power plants - My Volvo makes 250 HP out of 2.0L of displacement and is very drivable. It has made me a believer. My son's A4 is similar.

McLaren has basically used one engine in all its ME cars since the introduction of the MP4-12C in 2012, a 3.8L V-8 with twin turbos. It makes anywhere from 570 to over 700 HP, depending on the induction hardware, and it is a very good, tractable engine.

I could see GM going to a ~4.0L V-8 with forced induction to replace the LT-series engines in 2020. If they use the very clever turbo / supercharger strategy that Volvo uses on the I-4, they could tailor the engine for a variety of outputs at a number of price points. Also, with hybrid electric-drive for the front wheels and it makes for a pretty broad spectrum of applications.

A DOHC 6.2 NA V-8 is a big, WIDE engine - hard to package and provide service for in a mid-engine car. The existing LT1 / LT4 OHV engine makes more sense. If GM goes DOHC, I'd bet on a forced induction 4.0L for a lot of these reasons.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:57 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is my educated guess and I think we're going to get is a 6.2 liter dual overhead cam engine in the mid engine car as the base engine, because we already saw a leaked document that the lt5 is that:

General Motors is dusting off a very familiar engine code in the near future. First posted to Reddit, internal GM documents have revealed the LT5 V8 engine is returning, and it’s coming for the 2018 model year.

Specifically, it will be a 6.2-liter LT5 DOHC V8 engine, as coded in a table in the document of “Passenger Car Engines For GMNA.” At the very end of the table, there it sits: “ENGINE GAS CYL, 6.2L, SIDI, DOHC, VVT, ALUM, GM,” with the book code “Y”. In GM speak, that means it will be exclusively used in the 2018 Corvette.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/12/...#ixzz4xmFukHIi

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/12/...2018-corvette/

tadge likes to have their top car foreshadow or basically test out engine technology for future cars, so for instance last generation C6 ZR1 was a Supercharged V8 and that came in the form of the ZO6 later albeit a smaller blower.
With this lt5 engine I don't think they could resist the urge to put that in the ZR1 both for history and to test out the dohc engine a full year before going the c8, but we also know that there's agreement among most observers that it's probably super charged because of the noise it makes. so I'm going to go way on a limb here and say because that hood is so high and so wide that I think we may just get a supercharged dual overhead cam engine in the ZR1 that will be revealed shortly. And that might foreshadow what engine will go into the higher horsepower version of the mid-engine car unless of course they go turbos which seems to be what everybody's doing nowadays especially for mid-engine super cars. But anyway my guess is we're going to get a supercharged dual overhead cam and I know that's not a popular opinion but just looking at that hood and hearing the sound and knowing that gm has the lt5 dual overhead cam in the works and knowing that it will be nice to test out that stuff before it goes in the C8 and that certainly would give awesome horsepower numbers. it will be very soon when I'm proven most likely wrong but possibly right ..anyway that's my theory.
In case it's not clear I think the wide and tall hood is because superchargers and dual overhead cam engines are high up and particularly the dual overhead cam is wide and high, it just seems like a lot of bulk to add in the hood for just a slightly larger supercharger. Maybe they will call the lt10. ok very on a limb i admit.
but then again we just saw a leaked pic that says LT5 and most people think that is a supercharger cover... but the LT5 leaked doc does not have the SC designation in there... so i dont know how to make sense of that.. doesnt bode well for my theory.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/c...t5-121260.html

UPDATE 11/10: crap.

Last edited by TripleBlack99; 11-11-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:51 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017C7
Change is difficult to accept. If the worst to come is that the corvette becomes more like Ferrari, McLaren, and Ford GT.... I'll take a couple.

Besides the sports cars, I have had a '08 escape hybrid with 118k miles, and currently own a different '08-escape hybrid 4wd with 120k miles. I've also previously owned 2 other hybrids and held them through high mileage, starting with a 2003 civic hybrid. Hybrids have been mass produced for over 18 years, I'd hardly say they are untested and I'd happily own a C8 that has electric assist. As a matter of fact, I'm already on Criswell's waiting list for a C8 with or without electric. If anything, cars are now being made to last longer and be more reliable.

Well said.

Not so sure about the OP's claim as to the reliability of the current gen based on the many threads in this forum.

Hopefully, the plant upgrades will improve fit and finish. If anything, that's something that must be improved in order to compete in the future.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Bosscobra
Advanced

Originally Posted by RussM05
I'm very happy with the motor in my Cadillac ATS-V. 3.6 ltr V-6, DOHC, 24 valves, twin turbo, and 464 hp. Very smooth...with almost zero turbo lag and good fuel economy.

Only negative is it doesn't have the big V-8 sound.

Get used to it....these are the future. The big V-8 engines are becoming dinosaurs.
I have one too
Old 11-09-2017, 07:13 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I'm not too worried about it. I don't think we're in any danger of repeating 1975 when the base Corvette engine had only 165HP, basically a little more than half what it had only 5 years earlier. I'm pretty sure GM will have engines that generate substantial HP, able to compete with the current line-up.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:15 PM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but using the LS7 as the "reliability, simplicity, and grunt of the older generation...." might be a stretch based on how many had to re-build their heads.
The three characteristics you re-stated are actually correct. There is no stretch in the statement. The head problem was simply (not to us owners) a vendor machining problem. Has no relation to the basic design.
Had the vendor performed the machining problem correwctly, and had Chevrolet monitored the quality process better, generally speaking there would be no head problem.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:43 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Any REAL idea when the new C8 will go on sale ???

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Mid-Engine: Not All Bunny Rabbits & Rainbows

Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

This thread is about as stupid as the ones regarding Z07 ride quality before the C7 Z went into production. Some were adamant before ever having even driven the car that competition seats coupled with the Z07 package, would most certainly lead to kidney transplants. I’m keen to know which ME cars the OP has owned prior to extolling his/her wisdom?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:27 AM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orca1946
Any REAL idea when the new C8 will go on sale ???
January 2019 is the best estimate right now.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:37 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
This thread is about as stupid as the ones regarding Z07 ride quality before the C7 Z went into production. Some were adamant before ever having even driven the car that competition seats coupled with the Z07 package, would most certainly lead to kidney transplants. I’m keen to know which ME cars the OP has owned prior to extolling his/her wisdom?
One of the biggest advantages that someone that never drove a ME car much doesn’t know about is fact that the car doesn’t need massive front tires. Wide front tires follow the grooves on the highway. My C5 Z06 did it, the 2015 viper I drove on the highway didn’t it. My ME car doesn’t not do that since it doesn’t have wide tires in front.

Quick Reply: C8 Mid-Engine: Not All Bunny Rabbits & Rainbows