Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 and the future of the Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

OP, fun thread. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
I bought my 1st Corvette ever (C7) in 2016 :-)
I am 30, and did the same in 2015.

Originally Posted by spireland
This 30 something loves his Corvette. Go to any cars and coffee and plenty of younger folks like Corvettes just fine. Its a cost issue more than a design or concept problem.

I just had a conversation the other day with a 20 year old checkout kid at my grocery store commenting on my hat about Corvette was his dream car....
I quoted it because I think it is true.

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
It is not just cars these young guys have no interest in. Kids have no desire to learn to drive. I remember, as soon as I turned 15, I could not WAIT to get my license. To me a license and a car meant freedom, friends, good times, and yes GIRLS! Now fast forward to the present. Neither of my sons had any desire to learn to drive until they were in their 20s, and had no choice, since they needed to drive to get jobs and go to work. Like many others, they were content to make their "friends" on line. Actual social interaction meant little to them, and the opposite sex only mattered when they were on the other end of a game controller. I am afraid that the fast, sexy cars (and even faster sexier women) that us old guys pursued, have given way to digital anime figures wearing skimpy outfits in video games and as computer downloads...
I was the same way when I was 15, couldn't wait to get my license. Cars were always part of my girl hunt. Not that I used my cars to get laid, but it never hurt that I drive a nice car. The model I date likes the c7. The irony is, I sold accounts, currency, and items in a video game to make the real life money to buy an 02 ws6 firebird in about 04, while I was in Highschool.

Anyways, back to the 2nd quote. Give your kids a c7 and I bet their interest in girls will change dramatically. Girls opinions of him might change too. Can you get laid gaming? Not sure. I used to game a lot and nothing ever became of it.

If the c8 has a completely self driving feature, I would be stoked. As long as you can disengage it at a race track. Could you imagine showing up to a new track and having tour vette teach you the line??

However, if they take the third pedal away I agree with the dude who is either eyeing or owns a 570s.

Last edited by theplatinumog; 11-29-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:40 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
This 30 something loves his Corvette. Go to any cars and coffee and plenty of younger folks like Corvettes just fine. Its a cost issue more than a design or concept problem.

I just had a conversation the other day with a 20 year old checkout kid at my grocery store commenting on my hat about Corvette was his dream car....
At your age you should know that Corvette is spelled with a capital "C"!

Once you figure that out, I may read your entire post.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by tooold2race

I haven't proof read anything, but I am just banging away on my cell phone. I imagine there are worse mistakes in my post. However, you are right. How disrespectful of me.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:45 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobull
I fear that the corvette may be nearing the end of the line. Before I begin let me state that I own a c7 that is my 5th corvette, and I am not a troll. Consider the following:
1. The demographics are against cars like the corvette. When you look at
the Bell curve 20 and 30 somethings are not interested in cars like the
corvette.
2. Sales of all sports cars are trending down. Corvette sales have been
flat in recent years, and it appears that most buyers like myself are
repeat buyers; it is not enticing new buyers and expanding the market.
The c7 is a phenomenal bargain for the price, but in this day and age
how many people can afford an 80,000+ toy that is expensive to
maintain and is two seater with zero practicality.
3.Now we come to the elephant in the room--the rapid and almost
exponential electrification of the auto industry. Let's face it, the
internal combustion engine is a dinosaur that was invented 200 years
ago. The concept of valves, pistons, crankshafts, etc is rapidly
becoming obsolete and is being legislated out of existence. 500-1000
mile rapid charge batteries whether they be lithium air or otherwise
now exist in the lab. Hell, even a Tesla will out accelerate a corvette.
I realize there are those among you will say that the current draw
after a few hundred yards burns the battery out, but one can certainly
see the handwriting on the wall.

I know that the concept of an electric, automatic (self drive anyone?)
seems absurd but this seems to be the way things are going. I think the c8 may be the end of the line. GM may be able to extend things a bit with the e-ray, manta ray, etc., but at the end of a 7-8 year run I sadly
doubt there will be a market for a car like the corvette except for old guys like me. If the car still does exist it may be legislated off of public roads. Replies anyone!
At your age you should have figured out that Corvette is spelled with a capital "C". Once you figure that out, I may read your entire rant. In the mean time, it's just noise....
Old 11-29-2017, 09:46 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

At your age you should know to put on your reading glasses before mouthing off, because I did capitalize Corvette...

Old 11-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Ouch
Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

As soon as I find my glasses and cane, I'll go look for my tin foil hat.
JerriVette (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

At your age you should have figured out that Corvette is spelled with a capital "C". Once you figure that out, I may read your entire rant. In the mean time, it's just noise....
Hmmm....you average 2 posts a month so I 'm pretty certain reading the OP was NEVER going to happen anyway. But your contribution is duly noted.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You are right. A capital C should have been used; I was in error. But I will
say in all sincerity you are a colossal smart *** whose attitude is not appreciated. I have no doubt that the vast majority of the forum community feels that it would be better off without people like you. So, you can take your attitude and stuff it where the sun doesn't shine!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Nobull:
JerriVette (12-08-2017), Rapid Fred (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 08:08 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

I’m a member of the Les Paul Forum (in case you are unaware, the Les Paul is an electric guitar made by the Gibson Guitar Company). There are similiar posts there. Old timers (like me!) that fear that the guitar is doomed and the younger generation has no interest in guitar, and would rather be a DJ spinning discs. I think this is reflective of changing times, and people’s interests are changing. But that’s the way it’s always been, life 100 years ago was different, even more different 200 years ago, etc. If you look at history in terms of hundreds of years, and not just the last 50 years (or in this case, the last 64 years ), then it becomes apparent that life evolves and changes, it’s progress and can’t be stopped. If the Corvette goes away, it will be because the younger generation has no interest, or are lacking the funds necessary to buy a Corvette. BUT IT WON’T MATTER, because us older people will be gone and buried, and there won’t be anyone around to care. Times change, it’s “normal” and has been happening since the dawn of time!
RoketRdr (03-24-2018)
Old 12-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Hart1499
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Very interesting reading all off these difference views. Couldn't afford my first corvette C5 until I was around the age of 53. Now on my 2nd C7 at the age of 65 and enjoying every bit of it. My thoughts are enjoy what you are doing today with all of your corvettes as a 100 years absolutely none of us will give a dam! I enjoy my corvette every day just knowing I am fortunate to own one. Enjoy my friends!
JerriVette (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 12:04 PM
gmanflying
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Just go to a local car show and see the crowd and enthusiasm. Sports cars will always be around and desired. Yes especially the great American sports car our beloved vette! It may go thru changes but will always be the best all around sports car in the world!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:33 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

You were that kid in school who didnt have friends, werent you?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Hart1499
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
You were that kid in school who didnt have friends, werent you?
Well Put..
Old 12-09-2017, 11:57 PM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

It's curious that the cited "wave of the future", electric cars, that cannot survive in the free market without massive government subsidies, is seen as a viable alternative to gasoline powered cars. The Tesla often referenced as a game changer sports car in these forums is a glaring example of a car company totally reliant for its survival on the backs of taxpayers without which would cease to exist. The Tesla is a modern day Tucker more than likely. The irrational fear of "man made climate change" is the actual fuel source for such boondoggles. I could understand government subsidies at the university level for battery research, but subsidizing inefficient cars that few are willing to actually pay for is a total waste of money. The battery technology is simply not there yet. Elon Musk is a con man capitalizing on stupidity.
RoketRdr (03-24-2018)
Old 12-10-2017, 01:10 AM
ironman77
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The C8 is a big mistake, they should just improve on the c7.
As far as young people goes in these cars all they care about is a prius
Old 12-10-2017, 05:32 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
How wrong you are my friend. Once completely autonomous self-driving cars get here, probably around 2030- our politicians will quickly outlaw all non-self driving cars to protect us from ourselves. I would bet heavily that by 2035, there will be no non-autonomous cars on public roads.
Now, that you can take to the bank. Even ex GM boss thinks so, and I’d say he has more insight in these things than most.

Read his thoughts here: https://drivetribe.com/p/we-will-no-...T-W-1uftEQeENQ

Last edited by groovyjay; 12-10-2017 at 05:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 and the future of the Corvette

Old 12-10-2017, 08:50 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ironman77
The C8 is a big mistake, they should just improve on the c7.
As far as young people goes in these cars all they care about is a prius
Heh, the way C7 sales have tanked taking resale prices along with them, if the C8 doesn't happen, GM is going to have a problem on its hands. It's going to be interesting to see what other brand car BG will be assembling in the new plant.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:05 AM
ironman77
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Camaro and mustang sales is fell off cliff as well, but the charger and Challenger is setting records.
Here is problem with c8, when you go to a configuration like that with mid engine you will lose core group because guys like me likes front engine,pushrod machine.
The Vette is a icon, but when it goes to midengine Configuration then it is more exotic than muscle.
Guys like me who pays the bills will not buy them,i f I wanted a mid engine car i would go Italian.
Look at Nascar as prime example when they tried to get away from core fans what has happened, it is failing.
If Gm wanted to do something it is simple and they have tooling in place, modify Saturn redline sky in a mini Vette, I used to own a redline sky and it was a hoot to drive.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:09 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,578 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by ironman77
I used to own a redline sky and it was a hoot to drive.
I owned the Pontiac Solstice (Sky's sister car) and you are right. The car was a blast to drive. To bad they went away....

Last edited by LIE2ME; 12-10-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: C8 and the future of the Corvette