Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably a silly concern about ME design, but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:24 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Probably a silly concern about ME design, but...

Lots of HP under the hood makes me happy, but the idea of lots of HP right behind me makes me uncomfortable. I'm not familiar with ME cars (I rode in a fiero in the '80s), so maybe it's a non-issue, but I'm wondering if the engine being so close to you gives others pause, as well. I rode street bikes for many years with the engine between my legs (not to mention the gas tank in my crotch), and it never bothered me. The ME thing might be bothering me because of the insane physical forces in these high performance engines. 850hp right behind my head? Yikes. Is it just me?
Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Plenty of MEs out there for you to research safety stats.

Not to worry. The biggest risk in any high HP sports car (ME or not) is likely the ability, and/or judgement of the operator.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrankLP:
gurneyeagle (01-05-2018), SpeedyD (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by fugly1
Lots of HP under the hood makes me happy, but the idea of lots of HP right behind me makes me uncomfortable. I'm not familiar with ME cars (I rode in a fiero in the '80s), so maybe it's a non-issue, but I'm wondering if the engine being so close to you gives others pause, as well. I rode street bikes for many years with the engine between my legs (not to mention the gas tank in my crotch), and it never bothered me. The ME thing might be bothering me because of the insane physical forces in these high performance engines. 850hp right behind my head? Yikes. Is it just me?
Check the engine mounts regularly so the engine doesn't land up in the front seat if you brake hard or hit something. Don't smoke in there either. Wear ear plugs and have a fire extinguisher handy. It should be OK.
The following users liked this post:
fugly1 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

A carbon fiber bulkhead with kevlar would make me feel right at ease.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:00 PM
lbzraptor
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

The engine behind the driver instead of in front should be safer as far as anything happening to you because of the motor.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:24 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,730 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Check the engine mounts regularly so the engine doesn't land up in the front seat if you brake hard or hit something. Don't smoke in there either. Wear ear plugs and have a fire extinguisher handy. It should be OK.

For the OP, on the other side you've probably driven cars in the past with a spinning clutch or torque converter inches away from your right foot and never thought twice about it. The ME should be relatively safe.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:31 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

It is overall better. For 1 you don't have hot exhaust travelling under the whole length of the car. Either design you have a firewall separating the cabin from the engine. That engine weight is also more distributed over the rear axle thus making it safer to put the power down. Not that this seems to be much of an issue anymore but in the event of a clutch explosion it isn't sending parts into your legs.

50/50 weight distribution is a bogus figure, polar moment of inertia is what matters which is much better with mid engine making them turn better.

With ME you can run smaller front tires that help to eliminate the car from from following the grooves on the highway.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:25 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by fugly1
Nothing to worry about.
Engines these days are designed to drop to the ground in a big collision rather than being pushed into the cabin.

Here is a picture of a wrecked Ferrari Enzo at very high speed.
In the foreground is the engine...in the background is the rest of the car forward of the engine:

Old 01-03-2018, 12:29 AM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
and the driver rolled into France
Old 01-03-2018, 11:24 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Cars with the engine located in front of the driver normally have the gas tank(s) located behind the driver. Maybe the mid engine Corvette will have the gas tank located in the center tunnel(as did the Pontiac Fiero) where it will be less likely to be damaged in a rear ender, thus less chance of a fire.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:20 AM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6

For the OP, on the other side you've probably driven cars in the past with a spinning clutch or torque converter inches away from your right foot and never thought twice about it. The ME should be relatively safe.
Here's an example: http://autoweek.com/article/wait-the...pressure-plate
Old 01-05-2018, 01:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

A modified Mazda detonation shouldn't give anyone buying a Vette anything to worry about.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:12 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Ok, so maybe I am the only one....

But you guys have not quelled my neuroticism. I will probably just have to continue to suffer with an FME design, big V8, manual trans, and rwd. Oh, well.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

If you find this situation uncomfortable, I suggest you use Google to research this issue with other MEs (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.).
If that doesn't work, there is always Valium.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:25 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

I drove a Lamborghini Aventador in Vegas for a few laps. Very unusual feeling to have the engine "push" you through the corners. If I get a ME Corvette, it will take some getting used to for sure.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:53 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by CliffB-99
I drove a Lamborghini Aventador in Vegas for a few laps.
I did too at Exoticsracing.com and it was a huge disappointment.
Very unusual feeling to have the engine "push" you through the corners.
That's the AWD talking to ya.
You can't turn in quickly (like you can with a RWD) without a healthy shot of understeer.
Next time you're there compare it to a 458 or a 488...big BIG difference.
I hated the frickin' Lambo and vowed never to buy an AWD Sportscar.
The following users liked this post:
CliffB-99 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Davide36
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaka

Get notified of new replies

To Probably a silly concern about ME design, but...

Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I did too at Exoticsracing.com and it was a huge disappointment.
That's the AWD talking to ya.
You can't turn in quickly (like you can with a RWD) without a healthy shot of understeer.
Next time you're there compare it to a 458 or a 488...big BIG difference.
I hated the frickin' Lambo and vowed never to buy an AWD Sportscar.
My opinion is AWD combines the worst characteristics of FWD and RWD in one vehicle. My Tahoe is an AWD setup. Not Full Time 4WD, AWD. It has more under steer than a RWD Tahoe and has more more power on over steer than FWD vehicles. It can downshift when going through a turn under power and when the shift happens it will change lanes due to the severe under steer exhibited.

Bill
Old 01-08-2018, 07:45 AM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how the Audi R8 V10 RWS drives, but production will be even more limited than the ZR1
Old 01-08-2018, 10:47 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
My opinion is AWD combines the worst characteristics of FWD and RWD in one vehicle. My Tahoe is an AWD setup. Not Full Time 4WD, AWD. It has more under steer than a RWD Tahoe and has more more power on over steer than FWD vehicles. It can downshift when going through a turn under power and when the shift happens it will change lanes due to the severe under steer exhibited.

Bill
The funny thing is I have owned every generation of the Jeep GC going back over 20 years and I love the things.
Almost impossible to put one in understeer on the highway...even when pushed to the edge.
The Lambo jumped into understeer so easily, so quickly it stunned me.

Quick Reply: Probably a silly concern about ME design, but...