Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest Spy Shots - Winter Testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:14 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

^^^^
Oh good lord. The C7 looks like a Camaro? NONE of us has SEEN the mid-engine car....we've SEEN a car that is so visually modified that there is NO way to tell what it looks like.

This place is unbelievable.
We're finally going to get a mid-engine Corvette and the "get off my lawn" patrol, with NO real knowledge, has already killed it. You guys must be a real joy to live with.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-07-2018 at 09:16 AM.
The following 16 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Boiler_81 (01-07-2018), ByByBMW (01-07-2018), gthal (01-10-2018), Jackie Chiles (01-07-2018), jagamajajaran (01-07-2018), larryfdx (01-10-2018), Lavender (01-07-2018), MikeyTX (01-07-2018), Rapid Fred (01-07-2018), RoketRdr (01-10-2018), Steven Beaver (01-07-2018), sunsalem (01-08-2018), Telepierre (01-08-2018), tractman (01-07-2018), z edge (01-08-2018), Z06Fiend (01-07-2018) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Jackie Chiles
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^^
Oh good lord. The C7 looks like a Camaro? NONE of us has SEEN the mid-engine car....we've SEEN a car that is so visually modified that there is NO way to tell what it looks like.

We're finally going to get a mid-engine Corvette and the "get off my lawn" patrol, with NO real knowledge, has already killed it. You guys must be a real joy to live with.
Yeah, but it's winter and most of us have been driving our winter beaters for six weeks, so cut us some slack. We're kinda desperate right now.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:29 AM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
what we are seeing in these photos is not a mule. it's the real car with some pieces added on to try to hide the basic shape.
These pictures are the real deal with some padding under the camo. The mules were spotted in January of 2017 doing winter testing. Very different car that we are seeing a year later.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...te-spy-photos/

Old 01-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningBolt
Or maybe the average weight of a driver in 1975 was 30 lbs lighter than today?

All cars have gotten bigger since the 70's. There is more reinforcement, airbags, and collision survivability as well.
My weight in 1970 was surely 30 lbs less than it is today and more and I had no problem getting into my '71 Convertible actually no problem NOW
Old 01-07-2018, 11:15 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

^^^^

And as far as all these people's bit*** and whiny opinions go...

... because...

I think what we can see in these latest pics looks great/interesting. And I think that the next generation of Corvette is going to be revolutionary.

But hey... that's just my opinion and I'm fine if no one cares what I think...

Last edited by FrankLP; 01-07-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP

And as far as all these people's bit*** and whiny opinions go...

... because...

I think what we can see in these latest pics looks great/interesting. And I think that the next generation of Corvette is going to be revolutionary.

But hey... that's just my opinion and I'm fine if no one cares what I think...

Old 01-07-2018, 11:48 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

^^

with all this winter/snow testing, I happy to know I will be able to use the ME as my winter driver too... with AWD and a set of studded tires we are golden...

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-07-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Can you veterans give me some tips for telling these two cars apart? I get so confused when I see them on the road. They're almost identical!

The following 8 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
gthal (01-10-2018), jimmyb (01-08-2018), Lavender (01-07-2018), Rapid Fred (01-07-2018), sunsalem (01-07-2018), Telepierre (01-08-2018), z edge (01-08-2018), Z06Fiend (01-08-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2018, 12:10 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by jackie chiles
yeah, but it's winter and most of us have been driving our winter beaters for six weeks, so cut us some slack. We're kinda desperate right now. :d
l o l!

Last edited by senah; 01-07-2018 at 12:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (01-08-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 12:27 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Can you veterans give me some tips for telling these two cars apart? I get so confused when I see them on the road. They're almost identical!

...I think the only way to tell them apart is by looking at the drivers...
Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
Looks ugly, the porpotions all look off. The front looks narrow and stubby while it looks like the car get wider in the back and the rear looks disproportionately large to the rest of the car. The cabin area looks small and I can't imagine where I will fit multiple set of golf clubs or luggage because I see no where they would fit a large trunk space.

With the C7 already looking like the Camaro if this looks even more so like that and looses functionality then I won't bother will just keep my C6. My next vette will be a Camaro.
You are precisely the type of person I was referring to in this post. If GM gets rid of the front engine model entirely, there will be a bunch of people like yourself majorly pissed off.

I will be one of them, although not for the same reasons. I want to see the Corvette line consist of multiple models, because I believe the time is right to expand the lineup in order to compete with brands like Porsche and Ferrari on multiple fronts.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (01-08-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

^^^^

we are as long as others don't want to control our opinions and get upset when we don't agree with them.

if you can look at the combined dozens of available pictures of the front and rear fascias, the front fenders, the partially camouflaged real car, the 2 sets of wheels that have been shown so far, the amount of BIG overhang in the front, the bleed through of some details through the canvas and shaka's drawings and claim that there is 'no real knowledge', i can't understand your logic.

technologically, the car is VERY exciting. stylistically, they could and should have had a home run. from what i see, they chose not to. why design a wonderful car and wrap it in anything less than perfection?

cadillac has been struggling to get and keep customers for how many decades? yet they had a knockout design in the cadillac16 (which could have been a little smaller, less ostentatious yet somewhat reasonably priced with a v8 and still been fantastic looking) but stayed with the edge look and threw away a lot of sales. top gear had the cadillac 16 on in the same episode as the newly released bentley continental about 10 years ago and with a british audience the cadillac was preferred by nearly 100 percent. was there a clue here, gm?

Last edited by senah; 01-07-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:32 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
Looks ugly, the porpotions all look off. The front looks narrow and stubby while it looks like the car get wider in the back and the rear looks disproportionately large to the rest of the car. The cabin area looks small and I can't imagine where I will fit multiple set of golf clubs or luggage because I see no where they would fit a large trunk space.

With the C7 already looking like the Camaro if this looks even more so like that and looses functionality then I won't bother will just keep my C6. My next vette will be a Camaro.
Not sure if you are serious or just being sarcastic here...

Originally Posted by senah

cadillac has been struggling to get and keep customers for how many decades? yet they had a knockout design in the cadillac16 (which could have been a little smaller, less ostentatious yet somewhat reasonably priced with a v8 and still been fantastic looking) but stayed with the edge look and threw away a lot of sales. top gear had the cadillac 16 on in the same episode as the newly released bentley continental about 10 years ago and with a british audience the cadillac was preferred by nearly 100 percent. was there a clue here, gm?

I'm not sure if it could have been produced as is and with a price that would have been competitive, but it was amazing to look at.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:53 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Not sure if you are serious or just being sarcastic here...

I'm not sure if it could have been produced as is and with a price that would have been competitive, but it was amazing to look at.
no sarcasm here at all about this. this car was the favorite design i have ever seen in a sedan, especially with a v8 engine and shorter hood. if it were produced today, it would still be my favorite, even 10 years later. it's a perfect example of class. this would be the bugatti royale of this era if it were produced; the most regal design in production.

extremely amazing to look at, sunsalem. it still gives me chills when i see pictures like this. why does cadillac goof around without producing some kind of halo vehicle like this with better looking wheels? they could produce it like their current top of the line model without all the polished aluminum and other super expensive touches they had on the 16. it would have made them worthy again of "the standard of the world" title.

if the c8 is not this stunning, gm will have blown another one, and in the styling cues i see (a shovel on wheels), i'm not optimistic. i hope i'm wrong.

Last edited by senah; 01-07-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:07 PM
eyedeekay
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me talk you off the ledge....Camo'd mules are NEVER what you think they will be. The rear end in particular has a LOT of styro under the black cover to change the shape, look at the McDonalds cars, which were not as nearly wedge shaped. Here's a good example of camo verses finished car:
THIS, like look at this 458 speciale spy shot from before, it looks like a damn armadillo

Old 01-07-2018, 03:19 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eyedeekay
THIS, like look at this 458 speciale spy shot from before, it looks like a damn armadillo

there are pictures of purported c8 front and rear fascias and front fenders that correspond to the c8 spy shots. the ferrari similarity to the current c8 situation is totally non existent. there is very strong evidence showing that the final c8 will look a lot like shaka's drawings. obviously, that was not the case with the ferrari.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Davide36
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^
Come on....

Since you are new, allow me to give you a primer on the C7 and the mid-engine car:
The C7 was SUPPOSED to be mid-engine. The Corvette engineering team had begun work on this in 2007. Then came the bankruptcy, and there were real questions about there being ANY new Corvette. Obviously, they got the money ($250 Million) to do an evolutionary car (the current C7) and we got a great car, but NOT a clean sheet car (those cost AT LEAST $1BILLION to do). FWIW, I also do not like all the tacked on aero aids of the GS/Z06/ZR1 but with the C7's cut down budget, trickery such as active aero, etc was NOT going to happen. Now, it appears that in January 2019 (I hope) we are going to see a TRULY CLEAN SHEET Corvette, probably the MOST clean sheet Corvette IN HISTORY. Based on the success of the C7, it is very safe to assume that this same team of engineers will make a truly world class mid-engine car. Will it have every trick that every ultra high end supercar has? Probably not. But I would bet my life that it will be a game changing car (with some tricks the others DON'T have). It is the Corvette that EVERY Chief Engineer (Zora, McClellan, Hill, Tom, and Tadge) has ALWAYS dreamed of designing and building. Tadge and company WILL get it right.
With all due respect Mr. Senior member, I wasnt aware that being highly decorated on a single corvette forum of the hundreds out there makes you any more educated on the topic than me or any other new member. Im aware of all of this, and I myslef currently own a 2015 Z51, many LS based project cars, and many Corvettes in the past. I have a performance shop in Houston specializing in LS based motors. (For those interested follow my IG page "GrudgeRacingEngines")

Get notified of new replies

To Latest Spy Shots - Winter Testing

Old 01-07-2018, 05:30 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Davide36
With all due respect Mr. Senior member, I wasnt aware that being highly decorated on a single corvette forum of the hundreds out there makes you any more educated on the topic than me or any other new member. Im aware of all of this, and I myslef currently own a 2015 Z51, many LS based project cars, and many Corvettes in the past. I have a performance shop in Houston specializing in LS based motors. (For those interested follow my IG page "GrudgeRacingEngines")
Nope. One doesn't need to be a senior member. You say you know all that...., sorry for trying to help you. Your opinion, your choice.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-07-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Interesting they do winter testing on the ME with winter tires, but there are no winter tires that really fit the C6Z or C7Z. I know there are some that can be run on the C6Z/C7Z but not really an OEM type fitment.

There are even so few A/S fitments. 90% of Corvette drivers would be better served with A/S tires as the OEM tires, rather than the summer only choices. That may not be true of forum members (including me), but it would be for my Vette club.
They have Michelin PA4 in OEM C6Z/C7Z sizes now. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they're running here too.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
They have Michelin PA4 in OEM C6Z/C7Z sizes now. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they're running here too.
Tire Rack doesn't list any PA4 for the 18" front, do list one for the 19" front and nothing for 19" or 20" rears. Do you have other info on them?

Quick Reply: Latest Spy Shots - Winter Testing