Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
At last a dude who understands the issue. The buttresses are a styling gimmick and (potentially) a way to structurally tie the top of the rear wheel houses to the tub to make the car a bit stiffer. Nothing more.

My big beef with the Ford GT is that it was a way to try to get an LMP1 / Dpi entry into the GTLM category by pretending it was a production car. It was not. It is a purpose built race car that has two seats and was made (barely) street legal. The end result was both a lousy, uncompetitive LMP1 / Dpi car and an noisy, uncomfortable passenger car. I'm not impressed.

I don't think that many people were fooled into thinking that the current Ford GT was going to be a track star. The 'buttresses', whether they have a function are not, are cool looking. Very few race cars are devoid of style, otherwise they would all look the same. Its provenance on the race track is in its inspiration, not its execution. So, maybe I'm missing the point, maybe I'm walking into a conversation late, but "where's the beef?"

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 01-25-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:00 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
I don't think that many people were fooled into thinking that the current Ford GT was going to be a track star. The 'buttresses', whether they have a function are not, are cool looking. Very few race cars are devoid of style, otherwise they would all look the same. Its provenance on the race track is in its inspiration, not its execution. So, maybe I'm missing the point, maybe I'm walking into a conversation late, but "where's the beef?"
My complaint is Ford didn't try to win LeMans by taking on the big kids - Porsche, Toyota and Audi by building a special purpose LMP1 hybrid prototype, because they either didn't want to spend the money or couldn't compete, but they badly wanted the publicity of a 50th anniversary LeMans win. So they entered a purpose-built 2-seat prototype race car and foisted it on the WEC as a "production sports car" for the LMGTE Pro category. 500 hand-built prototype cars which just started customer deliveries in 2018 should not have counted as "production" in June 2106.

It was a fraudulent approach to what was once an even competition. They then compounded their sin by avoiding the impact of the WEC "Balance of Performance (BoP)" rules by "sandbagging" the true speed of the car in the run-up to the 2016 race, giving them a 10 second advantage on the other entries at qualifying. They, of course, won the race, although the lone Ferrari 488 gave them a scare.

There's an interesting epilogue to this sorry affair, however. The BoP "cops" caught up with them and after three years, they STILL haven't unseated Corvette as the Champions of the IMSA GTLM racing series.

Maybe 2018 will be their year, but I doubt it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcbingaman:
JustinStrife (03-11-2018), Shaka (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 05:30 PM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like aa aventdor rear slammed together with a la ferrari front. I like it!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:39 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Count me in the minority, for I have never liked the looks of the current Ford GT. Although, when at the LA Auto Show, while standing there looking at it, I was joined by two other members of this forum who also said that they never liked the way it looked either.

Last edited by elegant; 01-25-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:45 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NFGT: cool looking but:

1. V6!

2. Very cramped/compromised cabin.

3. Not comfortable on the street.

4. $500k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

5. A@@ kicked by 720S for a fraction of the price.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:00 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

The original remake was a nice nostalgic update of the old GT. The new GT is an exercise in design for a very over-the-top and outrageous supercar. I don't think it is very user-friendly to say the least.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

My complaint is Ford didn't try to win LeMans by taking on the big kids - Porsche, Toyota and Audi by building a special purpose LMP1 hybrid prototype, because they either didn't want to spend the money or couldn't compete, but they badly wanted the publicity of a 50th anniversary LeMans win. So they entered a purpose-built 2-seat prototype race car and foisted it on the WEC as a "production sports car" for the LMGTE Pro category. . . .
OK. So, again, what is it you think they should have done?
Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrampZ
OK. So, again, what is it you think they should have done?
Either work with the WEC to allow one or more of the ORIGINAL Lola-based GT40's to run a couple parade laps before the race to celebrate the 50th anniversary, OR try to build a competitive LMP1 car to win the race outright.

Ford has just as much hybrid technology as anyone else, and with Multimatic as a partner, they could have made a competitive effort. Why were they afraid of taking on Toyota or Audi for Christ sakes ? (Porsche I understand....they are unrivaled in endurance racing, but Porsche was pretty new in LMP1 in 2016 too.) Toyota and Audi are their main competitors in the market for passenger vehicles !

Who knows if they could have won the LMP1 competition in 2016 on the first try, but I for one would have given them a lot of credit for their effort. The way they did it in LMGTE Pro was a sham.

Toyota on the other hand made one hell of a campaign and even though they didn't win LeMans or the WEC Championship, they did themselves proud in the effort. 2018 may be their year.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcbingaman:
JustinStrife (03-11-2018), Shaka (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Isn't the Ford GT like 450 grand?

That's almost two thirds the price of my house.

I'll pass..

The c8 will run close in price to today's corvette c7 which ranges from 56 to 140 grand.

Give or take a few bucks the c8 will be reasonably priced depending on engine choice.

Funny thing is it'll probably perform as well as the Ford GT on the track...in top form

These 200, 300 and 400 grand cars are of little interest to me.

Ridiculous prices and they aren't even that great.

I'm glad they exist..but it's not a competitor for even a mid rear engine corvette.

The corvette can be used everyday in any kind of weather...

That can't be said of any 400k dollar car...

For one thing ....they are Just too valuable to use everyday...

So they get relegated to occasional use...

I want to use my fun cars everyday so I can enjoy them...

Saving the, in the garage is of little interest to many of us..

It's a car..

Drive it ...enjoy it and buy a new one..l

I dig when I see Harlan driving home with the top down in the new C7 ZR1 convertible hauling a Christmas tree home...
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
firstvettesoon (01-26-2018), Rapid Fred (01-30-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 05:05 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Either work with the WEC to allow one or more of the ORIGINAL Lola-based GT40's to run a couple parade laps before the race to celebrate the 50th anniversary, OR try to build a competitive LMP1 car to win the race outright.

Ford has just as much hybrid technology as anyone else, and with Multimatic as a partner, they could have made a competitive effort. Why were they afraid of taking on Toyota or Audi for Christ sakes ? (Porsche I understand....they are unrivaled in endurance racing, but Porsche was pretty new in LMP1 in 2016 too.) Toyota and Audi are their main competitors in the market for passenger vehicles !

Who knows if they could have won the LMP1 competition in 2016 on the first try, but I for one would have given them a lot of credit for their effort. The way they did it in LMGTE Pro was a sham.

Toyota on the other hand made one hell of a campaign and even though they didn't win LeMans or the WEC Championship, they did themselves proud in the effort. 2018 may be their year.
Heck the other option would have been to start with a common Mustang and enter it into LMGTE. That's more along the lines of what they actually manufacture themselves, what they sell, and what the class is all about. In fact I think this is what they start off with but probably abandoned it based on the fact that the Mustang simply wouldn't be any good.

Ahh yes, here it is. Get a load of this!
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...stang-le-mans/

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 01-26-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:00 PM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alsalamia
I think this is as best as it gets since she's still heavily camo-flashed. It could look different when revealed but this will give you an idea for now.

What do you think?
Never really like the C7 rear
I hope they create lots of topography for the C8 in the rear like this art....looks damn cool
Old 01-31-2018, 04:57 PM
MidLVR
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Alsalamia
I think this is as best as it gets since she's still heavily camo-flashed. It could look different when revealed but this will give you an idea for now.

What do you think?
I have never loved the C7 backend....in this photoshop i find the backend is not only better its amazing.
Hope they have lost of contours and not the flat boring piece of black plastic like on the c7.....great
conceptmachine (02-05-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 05:40 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I know for sure that I am not purchasing a mid engine. I already made up my mind last year already and purchased a 2017 Stingray Convertible.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:43 PM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I know for sure that I am not purchasing a mid engine. I already made up my mind last year already and purchased a 2017 Stingray Convertible.
can't go wrong with that.....enjoy man
Old 01-31-2018, 10:29 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

We all remember the large percentage who posted at a comparable time during the pre-C7 appearance when we were looking at those mules all camo’d up, saying “I am never getting a C7” — yet now have and love theirs.

I wish I had more time to now start a list of all who have posted, and/or will post on CVF, “no way am I getting an ME.” And then, three years after ME deliveries to dealers were occurring, to see how accurate those statements were.

Last edited by elegant; 01-31-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:31 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I also find it interesting that the C8 (or ME) discussions are re-igniting the old "I don't like the C7" crowd, even though the C7 has been widely praised and acknowledged as better than all previous generations (as one would expect with the advancement of automotive technology).

Personally, I really liked the C5, but it took me a while to warm up to the C6 (I bought a 2006 new). The C7 I knew I had to have as soon as it was revealed on 1-13-2013. I'm hoping that the C8 is an exciting departure from the C7 (and not a return to the C5/C6 style) and that my reaction on the Jan, 2019 reveal will be - "I have to have one of those."
The following 2 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
elegant (02-01-2018), Larshelt (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

[QUOTE=

The c8 will run close in price to today's corvette c7 which ranges from 56 to 140 grand.[/QUOTE]

Putting it in this context, it starts to look as though GM has secretly given us the Porsche Boxster pricing structure.

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering

Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Give me a break. The GT is so incredibly innovative in its use of the buttresses. The aero is amazing.There's nothing like it. Having said that, I don't expect a $70k ME Vette to be as radical as a $500K Ford GT.
Roaches don't go and win the 24hours of LeMans first time out.
So according to you how are these any different??
At one of our PCA days at Miller last year Ford was having a media day on the west track we were on the east. They had at least 10 new GTs there. Henry Ford, Joey Hand were both there the cars looked awesome to the point that you would think how could anything be faster. looked more like prototypes. It was cool to that many all line up while others were ripping around the west track. Beautiful cars!

Last edited by z06801; 02-02-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:13 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
At one of our PCA days at Miller last year Ford was having a media day on the west track we were on the east. They had at least 10 new GTs there. Henry Ford, Joey Hand were both there the cars looked awesome to the point that you would think how could anything be faster. looked more like prototypes. It was cool to that many all line up while others were ripping around the west track. Beautiful cars!
It is an amazing looking car. Kudos to Ford for having cojones to do that.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:39 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso

It is an amazing looking car. Kudos to Ford for having cojones to do that.
Cool looking, but so was George Barris's Batmobile. The Corvette is still FASTER.

Anyone can now buy a ZR1 for 25% of the price of a Ford GT and will go over 1 second faster around VIR than the vaunted Ford GT. You don't have to be "selected for worthiness" by Ford. It also will carry two golf bags in the back and two fat guys in the front - comfortably, and not drown out your favorite tunes with that John Deere V-6 tractor drone.

Quick Reply: 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering