Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:38 PM
nlneilson
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What year

What year is this thread referring to ???
My not reading every post in this thread leaves me confused.
The 2019 Vette is Out and for sale. So is this thread for the anticipated 2020 year, 2021, or when ???
Old 03-10-2018, 11:57 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Yes Germane cars and some Brits and Eyetalian cars should be included in the discussion as well.
Wow. Had to pick myself up off the floor!! Humor!!! On this forum!! GET OUT!!! No more jokes for you FVS! Get back to your damn drawings. And this time they better be right, GODDAMIT!
Old 03-11-2018, 01:14 AM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

who knows what they will offer but here is a comparison.

Looks good! Maybe add some more curvature to the lower edge of the windshield and cowl to match spy shots and the CAD images? Also, I think the A-Pillars are thinner (but painted body color). Nit-picking here, but overall a bang-up great job!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:48 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

I still think the Daddy Rabbit for this thing is the Aria Concept One, especially the shelf under the door and the general shaping of the body. This has precedent in Bill Mitchell's one-off Stingray racer leading to the C2.

I lot of these renderings are consistent with the spy shots, but seem too tame to me. A Corvette is a four wheel stiletto switchblade, not a butter knife. It can't look like aa Audi R8 or it won't capture the imagination of many Americans. I think we are still missing some key details under the car covers that tie this whole thing together.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 04:13 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

PLEASE PLEASE LET ANY OF THEM BE "THE ONE"-
FINALLY AN EXOTIC LOOKING CORVETTE!

But I know in my heart they'll let me down. It'll end up looking like a ZR1 only with the engine in the trunk.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by nlneilson
What year is this thread referring to ???
My not reading every post in this thread leaves me confused.
The 2019 Vette is Out and for sale. So is this thread for the anticipated 2020 year, 2021, or when ???
Check this https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-2020-a.html
Old 03-11-2018, 12:11 PM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

I know these pics are old news but if the ME is anything close to this, I know where at least one of them will be.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

It will not look like that, and it will not be slammed 1 inch off the ground.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:10 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

No doubt it will be more practical/ usable/ drivable than the Aria and other " supercars".

My recipe. 45% Ferrari 488. 20% Porsche TurboS. 15% C7. 10% Lamborghini Hurrican. 10% Aston Martin DBS. 10% McLaren 720.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 03-11-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:54 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

No doubt it will be more practical/ usable/ drivable than the Aria and other " supercars".

My recipe. 45% Ferrari 488. 20% Porsche TurboS. 15% C7. 10% Lamborghini Hurrican. 10% Aston Martin DBS. 10% McLaren 720.
You forgot to add at the end:...but 100% Corvette.
firstvettesoon (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:22 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Hey. The clown who noticed the "shelf" comments from the Pimp was me. Shaka expounded on it with a much more sophisticated observation about airflow management and aerodynamics. Sorry. Had to jump in; it might be the only intelligent contribution I ever make.

For the record. I urge both you and FVS to take another hard look at the La Ferrari. You're on the right track, but--especially factoring in Shaka's observations, you need to push the shelf in further and the bottom sill edge needs to be straighter yet. I admit that might be wishful thinking...
Yeah sure. There was nothing wrong with the other thread. It was alive and unfolding as it should. The only off topic posts were the members who said it was. Why, one member even complained about airflow being off topic.
Since there has been no new information since the retractable hard top, it's only course was what took place. Nothing wrong with that.
This thread will do the same. It is the natural order of things to divide and do battle. It is productive. This thread should be stopped and the other continued in my humble view. If it is policed unreasonably, it will die. Let it live a natural life. Even if a door handle is discovered, the thread will revive with new industry.
Since the arrival of the C8 spy material, my focus was on the engineering although I enjoy how things look. A shark is a beautiful thing but performs it's intended duty. Corvette must do the same. Duntov hated the shark look because it had airflow problems. Duntov would have approved of the C5. A touvh of shark can be achieved in my mind.
Having said that, the vents were my initial focus. I queried this particular vent from the very beginning. Shelf and Coke Bottle were my terms.
This intake is not sufficient for engine cooling. There appears to be two major obstacles to this intake. The top of the front fender and the ridge in the middle of the door. The Coke bottle shape and the shelf below it are essential for even secondry cooling duties which is assisted by the low pressure regions at the back of the car and intakes for combustion.
Unless new info is forthcoming, this thread will wonder aimlessly like the other one. Nothing wrong with that, as long as we have fun.
Insults must be imaginative and humorous. The mods must lighten up.

John T (01-08-2019)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:53 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Shelfs, coke bottles and airflow

Originally Posted by Shaka
Yeah sure. There was nothing wrong with the other thread. It was alive and unfolding as it should. The only off topic posts were the members who said it was. Why, one member even complained about airflow being off topic.
Since there has been no new information since the retractable hard top, it's only course was what took place. Nothing wrong with that.
This thread will do the same. It is the natural order of things to divide and do battle. It is productive. This thread should be stopped and the other continued in my humble view. If it is policed unreasonably, it will die. Let it live a natural life. Even if a door handle is discovered, the thread will revive with new industry.
Since the arrival of the C8 spy material, my focus was on the engineering although I enjoy how things look. A shark is a beautiful thing but performs it's intended duty. Corvette must do the same. Duntov hated the shark look because it had airflow problems. Duntov would have approved of the C5. A touvh of shark can be achieved in my mind.
Having said that, the vents were my initial focus. I queried this particular vent from the very beginning. Shelf and Coke Bottle were my terms.
This intake is not sufficient for engine cooling. There appears to be two major obstacles to this intake. The top of the front fender and the ridge in the middle of the door. The Coke bottle shape and the shelf below it are essential for even secondry cooling duties which is assisted by the low pressure regions at the back of the car and intakes for combustion.
Unless new info is forthcoming, this thread will wonder aimlessly like the other one. Nothing wrong with that, as long as we have fun.
Insults must be imaginative and humorous. The mods must lighten up.

Shaka.

What's with the bottom sill line? In some photos it seems to peak in the middle and slant down to the front and rear wheel wells. In others it looks straight, as I presume it would and should.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

^^^^^^^^^^
Here is an idea. Since these types of discussions are usually full of "example" images and lots of confusing back and fourth banter about Aero, Venting and "humorous" insults, why don't you start a new thread "specifically" to discuss "airflow science" Shelves, Coke-bottles and "Sharks" so you can post to your hearts content.

This and the other closed threads were started to discuss the C8 ME renderings and observations and details to try to get an idea of what thee car "looks" like, not the specific minutia of the engineering issues that GM has already worked out. The forced combining of the discussions is distracting.

There is already an "Active Aero" thread so you can call this new one :

"Shaka's Magic Scoop, Shelf and Shark Thread! " "Open to all who agree with me!"

You can even make the thread "Adults Only" and "Enter at Your Own Risk" and "insults and imaginative humor welcomed. ! "

Then at least visitors will know what to expect.

This will leave the "design and rendering threads "cleaner" so there is not confusion between what we are trying to "guess" the ME looks like and what we may "want" the ME to feature from an engineering POV.

I double dog dare you !

Now back to the actual topic...

Note the image below. The top of the rear fenders have a pretty strong angle/lean-in taper. This line "should" follow thru toward the front and maybe top of the side scoop. That area "may" flow upward toward rear window in a much smoother way.

Speednet (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:32 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

The other thread was mercifully closed due to all the discussion/debate over past generations design attributes and/or preferences. Throw in Bridgette Bardo and we spiraled into a cluster of conversation (aka blah blah blah)... none of which was being related to (let alone connecting to) the C8 discussion.

Moderator did the correct thing.

Last edited by FrankLP; 03-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:46 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,352 Likes on 483 Posts

that's 110% sir.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
that's 110% sir.
As it should be -- a radical, over the top, Vette...
Old 03-12-2018, 02:15 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks FVS for that additional work on deciphering the rear tailight/fear fender and top of intake scoop treatment.

I had looked at the rear fascia 50 times before and never before realized that it had such a “outer-corner top return angle.”

Last edited by elegant; 03-12-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering

Old 03-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
It will not look like that, and it will not be slammed 1 inch off the ground.
Excluding the "slam," the giant wing, and the overdone black cladding, it's a shame if you are correct. That thing REALLY looks like a Vette from stem to stern to me, and it is stunning. I still hold out hope that it is really close and that all the hints under the camo and tarps are just clever feints -- but it really is a faint hope.

Oh well...
Old 03-12-2018, 02:22 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
As it should be -- a radical, over the top, Vette...
Exactly !

Turn it up to eleven!

Was waiting for someone to catch it !
Old 03-12-2018, 02:28 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Here is a slightly more "aggressive" version, done really fast and rough just to show that slight changes in body shapes can have a dramatic effect on the overall perception.

The headlamps still look to me to have some dramatic inner sculpting even if covered by the dome, it will look "interesting" The hood can be much more dramatic by simply having sharp sculpted lines and fluid form.

The upper rear fender may be much more sculpted (I hope) than the slab side the spy images suggest and may flow in a very pleasing way.

The bottom image only teases these subtle possibilities and changes the "stance" a bit closer to the DBS as suggested.

Plus, the dark color turns up the evil a bit too.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 03-12-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering