Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 11:15 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
and this is why I think the C7 is the end of the front-engine Corvette. It makes sense for GM to diversify the Corvette and Camaro nameplates to not only allow for the Corvette to open the envelope for more performance and even bolder design, but it also opens up the Camaro to be more adventurous in it's design without worrying about stepping on the Corvette's toes. I see the performance car breakdown of GM as follows:

Chevrolet:
Camaro: Front Engine Muscle/Sport Coupe - $25k-$70k
Corvette: Mid Engine Sport/Supercar - $60k-$150k

Cadillac:
[Unknown Name]: Front Engine Luxury Sports Coupe - $90k-$150k

Interesting times
Cadillac has very little credentials to be able to sell a $90K+ Sports Car (or even a sedan).....leave the Halo car of GM (Corvette) to be able to do that.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default She's being phased out! ;)

Old A8 and eLSD!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Cadillac has very little credentials to be able to sell a $90K+ Sports Car (or even a sedan).....leave the Halo car of GM (Corvette) to be able to do that.
Maybe Cadillac got back into automobile racing for the purpose of establishing "credentials".
Old 07-09-2018, 10:01 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I don't know, The V-Series cars seem to have quite a bit of credibility in the enthusiast crowd. Add that Cadillac has had some racing success this year. If, and a big if, the Corvette goes completely mid engine, Cadillac might be the perfect umbrella for a FE 2 seat coupe. So long as the emphasis is on performance more than luxury, which is where I and others feel the XLR fell short. I think it would have to be priced a little closer to the current Corvette, with a starting point in the mid $60K range to be successful.

Part of this thought is reading posts from other threads, where many seem to believe Corvette should be a stand alone brand, and/or fall under the Cadillac umbrella. Either way, my point is that Cadillac is not a far fetched idea for such a car. They have a successful performance program, they have experience with a 2 seat coupe, that did garner positive attention in it's day, both of them actually. So, without a competing FE Corvette, it could be rather successful for them.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Selling price and cost do not always parallel. Manufacturers / sellers usually make higher ROI for products with high end features that some will pay for without hesitation because they WANT it. That's business 101 and it goes on every day with successful companies. If a company isn't doing this they are missing out.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:47 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Proudpatriot
I just read this thread and found it very interesting. I don't see a ME as a replacement for the FE C8 but rather as an addition. Corvette has the low end sports car market to itself. Why would they want to abandon that place in the market. Right now there is a huge range of prices for Corvette enthusiasts. There are folks like me who need to keep the price on the low end and those who can and will part with the big bucks for a truly special high end sports car. Corvette's reputation is one of a great value. I don't see them giving that away. It wouldn't make any sense.

What I really find astounding is the hatred here for the Camaro. I drive a 2016 Stingray (LT1). It is a daily driver for me. I really love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is a bare bones Stingray without many options.

My husband just bought a Camaro ZL1 as a daily driver. Both are great cars in their own right but they are not the same car. My husband doesn't like how low the Corvette is. He does not find the ride in the Camaro punishing but he does not have the track package. I have heard the ride is more punishing with the track package. He also likes all the creature comforts that came in the Camaro for a lower price than my Stingray. While the sticker price on the Camaro was about the same as my Stingray, the price out the door was lower. The Camaro is plenty fast and handles well enough for daily driving.

I am not understanding the hatred here. The reason there are so many cars on the market is that there are lots of different people who like different things.

I don't hate Camaros at all, but I don't consider it a rival to the Corvette. The Camaro is a muscle car which as of late has been bestowed with extraordinary handling capabilities, the Corvette is a GT sports car more akin to a Ferrari 488 GTB, Porsche 911, etc. The car weenies who wring their hands over 'Ring lap times, etc. - well, that's US, not the VAST majority of Corvette customers. For them the styling, handling, design, the whole Corvette EXPERIENCE- well that's what they seek (me too) and I can't get that with a Camaro for a number of reasons, none of which are a knock on that car at all, at least not from me.

GM will lose customers on the C8 by simple virtue of the fact that without that big hatchback area - where I can fit my bicycle now - that's going away with a mid-engine car Which will make the new car harder to live with. And that will be if they HOLD the pricing to where I expect to see it - a base C8 with 500 bhp for $59,900. That would push a car like my LT2 C7 which stickered @ about $71K - up to $76K. That's a lotta dough. You guys may think that's a 'bargain' compared to a $300K Ferrari, but the customer for the Corvette generally can't even breathe @ those financial altitudes.. $70K-$90K for C8 Corvettes is already pushing the price envelope if you really want to move 20-30K cars annually. And that's the entire basis for the existing Corvette business model, which is arguably the most successful in the sports car business.

I'd bet the ranch GM won't eff with that. C8 cars with $65K-$85k MSRPs will let dealers get list price for a couple of years and they'll sell them in the high volumes GM has enjoyed for 60 years. That didn't happen by accident. That's because THEY DON'T OVER PRICE THE CAR.

Last edited by patentcad; 09-25-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 PM
patentcad
Drifting

P.S. At that $65K-$85K price,GM will make a ton of money on the C8.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Its so amusing to read all of the experts opinions and facts on here. It is comical actually.
This new car whatever it is wont change a thing except its motor is behind the driver, period.
For 60k or so youll get a 60k car just as before.
i happen to think its a hidious design but who cares what i think.
for all of the Camaro haters let me tell ya the new Gen 6 2SS and ZL1s rock and are as nice or nicer than a vette.
more room and more *****. Vettes are now going to be for someone asking for grey poupon at a stop light.
Camparing a vette to a Ferrari or lambo is insane. The most expensive corvettes have sold for maybe $150k or so.
Ferrari has sold cars for 45Million recently.
its fantasy land thinkin the new vette is a super car, a 60k super car? Nope.
sorry just needed some reality mentioned.

Last edited by Yarbie; 09-25-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:36 PM
Hammerhead69
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Camparing a vette to a Ferrari or lambo is insane. The most expensive corvettes have sold for maybe $150k or so.
That’s actually an apples to oranges comparison. One is a new Corvette ZR1 & the other is an ultra rare 55 year old Ferrari.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:05 PM
carsismeZ06
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
No. Because the mid engine car isn't the C8. It's a new member of the family that'll sit above the C7 and the eventual front engine C8.
How people still buy this idea is beyond me.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
No. Because the mid engine car isn't the C8. It's a new member of the family that'll sit above the C7 and the eventual front engine C8.
wrong
Old 09-26-2018, 06:44 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Camparing a vette to a Ferrari or lambo is insane..
Just because the Italian cars are slower doesn't mean they're not worthy of comparison.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (10-03-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 06:50 AM
patentcad
Drifting

for all of the Camaro haters let me tell ya the new Gen 6 2SS and ZL1s rock and are as nice or nicer than a vette.
I don't hate Camaros, but they are muscle cars. I sat in one and it was like being in a WWII pillbox, the seating position is awful. I greatly prefer Corvette styling both interior and exterior.

I like my Corvette. It is my very own WTF (White Trash Ferrari). And I say that as a white guy who can actually spell and manage English grammar, which is not a universally shared caucasian skill.
The following 2 users liked this post by patentcad:
Parcival (09-27-2018), Rapid Fred (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Its so amusing to read all of the experts opinions and facts on here. It is comical actually.
This new car whatever it is wont change a thing except its motor is behind the driver, period.
For 60k or so youll get a 60k car just as before.
i happen to think its a hidious design but who cares what i think.
more room and more *****. Vettes are now going to be for someone asking for grey poupon at a stop light.
its fantasy land thinkin the new vette is a super car, a 60k super car? Nope.
sorry just needed some reality mentioned.

Limit production like Ferrari and Lambo do and you have a Corvette priced the same with basically the same features. Fancy leather doesn't cost several hundred thousand dollars.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
DaveFerrari458 (09-26-2018), pdiddy972 (10-03-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:18 PM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm just hoping the C8 ME Z06 weighs the same as a C6 Z06, but with 50 - 100 more HP.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:27 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
I have been lurking and thinking here. In the past couple of years they have brought Camaro almost to the level of the Stingray in HP and even price. Could GMs idea for a ME Corvette be to chase away the $60K Corvette buyer to the now very similar in HP Camaro? It seems to me GM has for the last few model years been upping the ante on the Camaro to the point that some specs are very close to the base Stingray. Could this have been the plan all along. If the mid engine car is priced near $90K its going to price a lot of buyers out of the Corvette market and suddenly bolster the Camaro sales its just a thought.
For as long as I can remember, the 'Vette and Camaro have always offered similar engine options. Back in the 60's you could get any engine in any car (almost)... but recently the L98,LT1, LS1, LS2, LT-1 and LT-4 have all been offered in both cars. The Camaro usually receiving just a slightly (as published anyway) detunned version.

I doubt Chevrolet wants to screw up what has worked since the 60's. I realize the Corvette is older, but it has held the same place in the lineup since the other sporty and muscle cars have came around. I also do not think a Corvette buyer is going to care to much that the Camaro has the same specs. It is still not a 2 seat sports car with an open roof. It is not the same kind of car. IT would be a very risky and a potential death blow to the 'Vette to price it out of it's current market.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:19 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by MikeG37
My bet is Zora.
Which people who have no idea who he was and why the name was used will most certainly mistakenly call it a Zorro
Mine too, so why is everyone calling it a Corvette? Will it be called a Chevrolet Corvette Zora or just a Chevrolet Zora?

Get notified of new replies

To Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Old 09-27-2018, 11:52 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

You can bet that if the car is a hit, GM will ***** it to death.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

I believe there will be a C8 designation. I do not believe there will likely be a C9 designation. I believe there will always be a front engine Corvette and that there will likely always be a mid engine Corvette. But, they will of necessity evolve on different timelines. Hence, no more generational designations. Overlapping designations won’t work. Perhaps all FE cars will have primary designations of Gran Sport and all ME cars will have primary designations of Zora and each GS or Zora vehicle will have sub names or numerical designations. Who knows at this point?

Fundamentally, Corvette will not long survive as a one trick ME pony. GM is smarter than that and historically, GM Corvette has always taken baby steps. No big leaps. But, we will see.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:34 PM
dbletap_ed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just about everything on the C8 or whatever the ME car in the photos is actually is conjecture. To the premise of the original question, if the ME car is the C8 and prices me out of the ability to purchase it I would not be pushed to the Camaro, I would purchase a Mustang first. I presently have a 2017 so it is all a few years into the future but I am speaking to the current state of the Camaro and Mustang.

Quick Reply: Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?