Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has put down a deposit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I've placed a deposit with myself. Fully refundable, of course.

Last edited by OnPoint; 03-01-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:11 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Personally, I do not want an early car. I want a second year of production so that they can iron out any bugs. I'd rather have a year 3 production C8 but that's getting on in life.
The following users liked this post:
direct007 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:52 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Its official..

Now taking deposits for the C9...

Contact me if interested.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (03-19-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Baron-Von-Rouge
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a deposit down. The first allocation and the first deposit for the ME at the dealership I purchase my Z06 from. It was about two years ago after my Z06 was destroyed in an accident.

Last edited by Baron-Von-Rouge; 03-04-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Baron-Von-Rouge
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
I'm new here and this is my first thread.

My dealer here in Ontario is about the largest in Canada. I was talking to them yesterday. If I put down a deposit now I'm pretty well guaranteed an early car. Anyone else? Terms & conditions? Opinions?
Which dealer Ontario?
Old 03-04-2018, 05:15 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Rick Hendricks GA will not accept one.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron-Von-Rouge

Which dealer Ontario?
I moved to the Niagara region a couple of years ago and it's quite the car culture here. The dealer that serves the area claims to be either #1 or 2 in sales in Canada last year. Between that and Autotrader you can figure it out. The demographics of the area is perfect for Corvette sales And resales too.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Baron-Von-Rouge
Advanced

That’s good. Having a dealer you can trust goes a long way.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Baron-Von-Rouge
Advanced

Nice. I would have loved to come down when I had the C7Z06. Trying to see if I can get a ZR1 allocation here in Toronto, afterwhich I will get the ME. But no luck so far.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Baron-Von-Rouge
Nice. I would have loved to come down when I had the C7Z06. Trying to see if I can get a ZR1 allocation here in Toronto, afterwhich I will get the ME. But no luck so far.
The place to go in TO for Corvette is in Richmond Hill. The other #1 or 2 in Canada.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Baron-Von-Rouge
Advanced

I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:32 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
100% refundable, no questions asked, $1,000 ME deposit with Mike Furman (Criswell Chevrolet), on Feb. 1, 2015.

I have dealt with Mike before and there is no nicer person, nor one with more integrity.
Most places don't actually cash the check they just hold it
Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

I have a deposit with Dennis at Stanford since 2015. I put down a deposit with him before and got a car elsewhere and he immediately refunded the deposit no questions asked.

I’m not worried about $1000, don’t take that wrong but I spend more than that a year in tires

Let me ask you this..... let’s say when the car comes out do you think someone could flip it and make 10, 20, 30k? What return would one get on a $1,000 deposit for 3 or 4 years?

I’m not sure if I’ll even buy the car but having a spot in line is worth it to me. Fortunately I peeled off some investments designated them as my c8 fund, told my wife about it and she knows I got market lucky and have the funds set aside.

Cars are fun. A me vette will be amazing.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 03-09-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Some might be able to flip the limited production ZR1 during the first few months of the year to a buyer “who has to have it now.”

The ME is however, not designed as a limited production model (unlike the 2,600 total units/first year ZR1), so anyone buying a ME will not be flipping it for a profit.

Not saying that there is not a one-percenter who will wake up late to the ME deposit/ordering system, and also got to have it, but to find that one percenter is going to be difficult, especially as instead of 200 units/month ZR1, the ME’s production could well be five times (or more than) that. (As an example, even though the 2015 Z06 started production months into the production year (first one finished on November 10th), they still made 9,300 Z06’s its first year.)

GM could well make 12K, 15K or maybe even 20K first year ME’s?

Last edited by elegant; 03-09-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:08 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Call me cynical but having put down a $1,000 is no guarantee of anything...

That doesn't mean you wont be asked to pay the likely sticker premium.

And it doesn't mean you are "in line"...

All that means is they have your money and you are a "qualified lead".
Old 03-09-2018, 09:19 PM
elegant
Safety Car

That would be true with many dealerships, but not our top Corvetteforum ones.

That $1,000 gives you a time and date stamped, place in a line, with your exact priority number. And as a certain Corvette dealer who messed with their Corvette priority ordering list about ten years ago found out, getting caught in the internet world can have hugely negative consequences, with that dealer dropping from then a top ten Corvette dealer to now below # 50.

Additionally if you look at the top dealers on this forum as far as allocation goes, even with the very limited production ZR1, none of those top dealers is charging more than sticker. And the ME will not be limited production — so chances of it being over sticker at these dealers is infinitesimal.

You are entitled to your skepticism as applied to some lesser dealers, but our top forum dealers are totally honest. I have personal experience buying Corvettes from three of them, and every one treated my with total integrity.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

That would be true with many dealerships, but not our top Corvetteforum ones.

That $1,000 gives you a time and date stamped, place in a line, with your exact priority number. And as a certain Corvette dealer who messed with their Corvette priority ordering list about ten years ago found out, getting caught in the internet world can have hugely negative consequences, with that dealer dropping from then a top ten Corvette dealer to now below # 50.

Additionally if you look at the top dealers on this forum as far as allocation goes, even with the very limited production ZR1, none of those top dealers is charging more than sticker. And the ME will not be limited production — so chances of it being over sticker at these dealers is infinitesimal.

You are entitled to your skepticism as applied to some lesser dealers, but our top forum dealers are totally honest. I have personal experience buying Corvettes from three of them, and every one treated my with total integrity.

Thankyou. I have every reason to think that I will be treated fairly at my Ontario dealership who I have dealt with in the past.

Where is the list of these "top forum dealers"?

Get notified of new replies

To Who has put down a deposit?

Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Go to Corvetteblogger.com. Here’s a link, but sorry their list is U.S. dealers only.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...december-31st/

However, if you have a specific question about U.S. dealers (for a friend of yours, whatever), always happy to answer private messages.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Some might be able to flip the limited production ZR1 during the first few months of the year to a buyer “who has to have it now.”

The ME is however, not designed as a limited production model (unlike the 2,600 total units/first year ZR1), so anyone buying a ME will not be flipping it for a profit.

Not saying that there is not a one-percenter who will wake up late to the ME deposit/ordering system, and also got to have it, but to find that one percenter is going to be difficult, especially as instead of 200 units/month ZR1, the ME’s production could well be five times (or more than) that. (As an example, even though the 2015 Z06 started production months into the production year (first one finished on November 10th), they still made 9,300 Z06’s its first year.)

GM could well make 12K, 15K or maybe even 20K first year ME’s?
Unless I am missing something how do you know the production numbers? I know there are lot of rumors and rumors are just that.

I am anticipating it being well over $100K and I doubt it will a significant number produced.

And it would be interesting to know how deep the lines are at the top dealers. I close enough at Stanford that I will be right up front.

Almost every new model can be flipped for a premium especially if you go a little further and sell your spot in line. Assume I let my potential buyer pick out the car to his specifications, don't you think that would get a premium? If such a seller could hook such a buyer said seller won't even need to come up with purchase money.

I am a car person and believe I'll drive mine and since I am with Stanford I believe they dont add premiums. I expect to buy at sticker and I am more than happy to do so.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:42 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Lots of questions, so here are some answers:

Some of dealers have written, time and date stamped priority ME. I know the specific number at one dealer and it is shockingly large — way, way more than I would have guessed, though as the ME is not going to be limited production, and as this dealer is a top five dealer in terms of Corvette sales, he will easily cover that number and then many more.

Dealers with integrity will not allow you to sell your ordering spot, and to insure that, once they order it/sell it out of their inventory, they issue the buyer aManufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO), i.e., at those dealers you become the first/original owner. So you would be then, on a flip, selling a used car, after the buyer from them, be the first one, selling someone else a “used” car.. I do not doubt however that some nefarious dealers will allow one to sell their spot.

From the CorvetteBlogger list for 2017 total Corvette dealer sales, Les Stanford was 3rd:
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...december-31st/
They are 4th for the first two months of this year (also thanks to CorvetteBlogger) — so they will have very large ME allocations.

As to ZR1 production being less than 200 units/month, Kai Spande so stated in an interview with a Kentucky radio station (available here and/or via Google).

As for my estimate that 2020 ME sales units will be somewhere between 12-20K..., that is based on the following considers:

Maximum Corvette production per year is now 33,000 units (with overtime; again per Kai Spande). With C7 sales continuing next year, I estimated that SR/GS/Z06/ZR1 sales would be at least 40% of total 2020 sales. (That was/is purely an estimate, however one factor which could lend credence to that, was that the Markit Engine Forecast document did list their prediction that the FE Corvette would account for 14,000 sales during the first year of ME production (42.4%), leaving around 19,000 ME sales during the first year of its production.

Last edited by elegant; 03-10-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Who has put down a deposit?