Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Details on likely C8 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:16 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default You don't know!? ;)

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
It would be great if you could use words that actually make sense to describe the point of these dyno graphs. Although that is probably asking too much from you.

Oh wait, it will probably go something like - autonomousness, GT2RS me like 720S!!! E_DIFF at the Ring
No surprise there!

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Do they have to have AFM on the 5.5L Bigdog engine ?? They wouldn't really sell enough of them to impact the fleet CAFE statistics much and I don't think a gas guzzler tax on the Bigdog Corvette would make any difference to a dude who wants to rev his engine to 8000 rpm.

On the other hand, if you can generate 750 ft-lb of torque from 1500 rpm up with the turbos, why do you care if the engine only revs to 6500 rpm ? Ever watch those Audi R10 turbodiesel monsters dominate LeMans and prototype endurance racing a few year back ? High rpm capability is almost always trumped by massive torque !!
Ask him now!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:38 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If the 4.2L V8 engine was stretched to a V10 5.3L configuration, then it would be ~1.25" longer than the 6.2L LT1 V8.
How did you get to that number? Fine either way, that's not a huge amount. The way accessories are routed will likely make a difference. How it protrudes will likely make a difference too. We might not care if the heads stick out a bit in an ME but maybe there is little space for a long crank.

As for rev capability, the 6.2L V8 LT1 has a 3.62" stroke compared to the 4.2L's 3.55". very little difference. heck my 7.0l V8 has a 4" stroke and winds to 7,100 RPM with the stock rev limiter.
High revving engines are to me, pure voodoo. First, it's about piston speeds if you have to use one metric. Why can Honda make high F1 piston speeds in production engines while other engines fall apart? I don't know, seems like engineering know-how is precious here. There is no high revving small blocks given their piston speeds unless you look at the 9,000 rpm NASCAR versions.

The one item that is restricting both the LT1/LT4/LT5 and the new 4.2L V8 to 6,500 RPM is the heavy valve lifters for the AFM. My long stroke, 7,100 RPM LS7 does not have that limitation. In order to get the LT series to rev to 6,500, GM had to implement a cam with softer ramps for the four cylinders with the heavy lifters. The 4.2L makes maximum horsepower at 5,700 RPM. My LS7 make it at 6,300 RPM.
If GM wants to rev the hell out of a 4.2L V8 or a 5.3L V10, they will have to rethink their position on AFM.
Not quite, they could also rethink how to implement AFM. Different manufacturers have wildly different tech for doing the same thing, some can take high revvs some can't. Same for variable valve lift. Most only work to 7,000 rpm or so but Honda's from the early 2000s works at 9,000 rpm just fine.

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
On the other hand, if you can generate 750 ft-lb of torque from 1500 rpm up with the turbos, why do you care if the engine only revs to 6500 rpm ? Ever watch those Audi R10 turbodiesel monsters dominate LeMans and prototype endurance racing a few year back ? High rpm capability is almost always trumped by massive torque !!
What if you can generate 750 ft-lb and equal HP from a 2.0 turbo 4 but it sounds like a diesel and has the throttle response of an 80's turbo? V10 does everything well if built right. Lambo has quite possibly the most entertaining and the most desirable engine on the market while being competitive in all performance metrics.

Maybe GM's job for the C8 Z06 is easy. Make a V10 using existing DOHC architecture from the Caddy engine, no AFM, no variable valve lift, and a decent 8,000 rpm redline. It will be cheap, capable, entertaining, desirable, and reliable. A budget Lambo V10.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:57 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Maybe GM's job for the C8 Z06 is easy. Make a V10 using existing DOHC architecture from the Caddy engine, no AFM, no variable valve lift, and a decent 8,000 rpm redline. It will be cheap, capable, entertaining, desirable, and reliable. A budget Lambo V10.
The V10 is a compromise all around. I hope GM is not foolish to entertain that option.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by range96
The V10 is a compromise all around. I hope GM is not foolish to entertain that option.
No compromise in sound, in throttle response, in reliability at ~600hp. Compare that to the LT4 which I found to be perfect on paper but in reality while it did sound good, it was terribly unreliable, and had only average throttle response. I would take the 50hp deficit to not have to do with the inertia in the TVS system, inertia in the bottom end, not deal with the intercooler cooling problems, and most importantly to finish a session every time.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Stock F1 Supercars on a little C5 ZO6! ;)

I knew I didn't need displacement and/or low end power. I have NT05's on now, and a 3-way micro switch on my shifter, but, in first gear with Z51 gears I always just run the power at 440rwhp. Half way through an intersection I had them roasting today with a light squeeze.
Anyway, 750rwtq at 1500rpm on the street is all wheel spin and TC, like some have said.
Happy to say the 720s is proving that almost daily! Saw the BMW 1100 lose a couple of roll races today on youtube, Done.

Also, the expensive DCTs are only necessary for fast passing downshifts.
Track times perfectly driven NSM, an A10 with smooth driving, and save your money! Let it slow you down and save your brakes!

I'm liking the ME LT1 A10 PTM small Wing combo objective.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-09-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:44 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

No compromise in sound, in throttle response, in reliability at ~600hp. Compare that to the LT4 which I found to be perfect on paper but in reality while it did sound good, it was terribly unreliable, and had only average throttle response. I would take the 50hp deficit to not have to do with the inertia in the TVS system, inertia in the bottom end, not deal with the intercooler cooling problems, and most importantly to finish a session every time.
You just need to build your own Corvette track car and be done with it.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:51 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

How did you get to that number? Fine either way, that's not a huge amount. The way accessories are routed will likely make a difference. How it protrudes will likely make a difference too. We might not care if the heads stick out a bit in an ME but maybe there is little space for a long crank.

High revving engines are to me, pure voodoo. First, it's about piston speeds if you have to use one metric. Why can Honda make high F1 piston speeds in production engines while other engines fall apart? I don't know, seems like engineering know-how is precious here. There is no high revving small blocks given their piston speeds unless you look at the 9,000 rpm NASCAR versions.

Not quite, they could also rethink how to implement AFM. Different manufacturers have wildly different tech for doing the same thing, some can take high revvs some can't. Same for variable valve lift. Most only work to 7,000 rpm or so but Honda's from the early 2000s works at 9,000 rpm just fine.

What if you can generate 750 ft-lb and equal HP from a 2.0 turbo 4 but it sounds like a diesel and has the throttle response of an 80's turbo? V10 does everything well if built right. Lambo has quite possibly the most entertaining and the most desirable engine on the market while being competitive in all performance metrics.

Bore center X 4 + bore diameter for the V10 using the 4.2L V8 block stretched to a V10 configuration.

Bore center X 3 + bore diameter of the V8 LT1 engine.

Simple math.

The NASCAR engines are not stock small blocks. Instead of stock 4.4" bore centers, they have 4.5" bore enters(and the block is longer than a small block Chevy). On top of that, they are made of CGI which is very strong so they can even run thinner cylinder walls and maintain it's strength,

Add that together and you have a large bore(with heads that have huge valves) and a much shorter stoke than your stock small block, and still have a 358 cubic inch max displacement. The heads, intake manifold and the fuel injector move tremendous amount of air and fuel, along with very stout valve springs(that only have to last one race) so they can hit 9,500 RPM while producing over 850 HP. I ran my 283 SBC bored to 301 using the stock 3" stroke crank and stock rods to 8,500 RPM back in the early 1960's. I knew a guy that was running a destroked SBC(I think it was around 2.625" stroke) in his slingshot dragster and he was running 12,500 RPM, but not with stock rods or pistons(but with a 6-71 GMC blower).

On the Honda engine used in the S2000, Honda increased the stroke from 3.323" to 3.571" and kept the same bore diameter. This resulted in the 2L engines 8,800 RPM redline(9,000 fuel cutoff) being reduced to 8,000 RPM(8,200 fuel cutoff) for the longer stroke 2.2L engines. Horse power remained the same at 237 but the torque went up by a whopping 9 lb-ft with the longer stroke.

Which car manufacturers have a AFM that revs to 8,000 RPM? I haven't paid any attention to those engines.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-09-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default A NA burns fuel!

Bore center X 4 + bore diameter for the V10 using the 4.2L V8 block stretched to a V10 configuration.

Bore center X 3 + bore diameter of the V 8LT1 engine.

Simple math.

The NASCAR engines are not stock small blocks. Instead of stock 4.4" bore centers, they have 4.5" bore enters)and the block is longer than a small block Chevy). On top of that, they are made of CGI which is very strong so they can even run thinner cylinder walls and maintain it's strength,

Add that together and you have a large bore(with heads that have huge valves) and a much shorter stoke than your stock small block, and still have a 358 cubic inch max displacement. The heads, intake manifold and the fuel injector move tremendous amount of air, along with very stout valve springs(that only have to last one race) so they can hit 9,500 RPM while producing over 850 HP.
A FI boils some of it! Do the Math.
Anymore outlandish posts, Jeeze!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-09-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:29 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Bore center X 3 + bore diameter of the V8 LT1 engine.

Simple math.

The NASCAR engines are not stock small blocks. Instead of stock 4.4" bore centers, they have 4.5" bore enters(and the block is longer than a small block Chevy). On top of that, they are made of CGI which is very strong so they can even run thinner cylinder walls and maintain it's strength,

Add that together and you have a large bore(with heads that have huge valves) and a much shorter stoke than your stock small block, and still have a 358 cubic inch max displacement. The heads, intake manifold and the fuel injector move tremendous amount of air and fuel, along with very stout valve springs(that only have to last one race) so they can hit 9,500 RPM while producing over 850 HP. I ran my 283 SBC bored to 301 using the stock 3" stroke crank and stock rods to 8,500 RPM back in the early 1960's. I knew a guy that was running a destroked SBC(I think it was around 2.625" stroke) in his slingshot dragster and he was running 12,500 RPM, but not with stock rods or pistons(but with a 6-71 GMC blower).

On the Honda engine used in the S2000, Honda increased the stroke from 3.323" to 3.571" and kept the same bore diameter. This resulted in the 2L engines 8,800 RPM redline(9,000 fuel cutoff) being reduced to 8,000 RPM(8,200 fuel cutoff) for the longer stroke 2.2L engines. Horse power remained the same at 237 but the torque went up by a whopping 9 lb-ft with the longer stroke.

Which car manufacturers have a AFM that revs to 8,000 RPM? I haven't paid any attention to those engines.
Yep, I get 33 mm additional length in V10 vs. LT1 using your method. Worth it!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Yep, I get 33 mm additional length in V10 vs. LT1 using your method. Worth it!
The additional 2 rods and bearings, 2 pistons, 8 valves, 8 valve springs, 8 retainer's, 8 locks, eight cam followers etc are not worth it for me to drop from 6.2 liters(or from 7 liters in my Z06) down to 5.3 liters just to gain 1.25" of length in the V10 engine.

All those extra parts just run up the cost of the engine, and what have you gained? More parts to fail? The LT5 already has 755 horsepower. Is a 5.3L Cadillac engine going to gain another 205 horsepower by adding more parts? My calculations show it would increase to 688 horsepower, just by only adding two additional cylinders. Short by 67 horses.

And, if you don't go with larger turbo's for the additional 1.1 liter displacement, you might even end up more than 67 horses shy of the LT-5's 755.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-09-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

The additional 2 rods and bearings, 2 pistons, 8 valves, 8 valve springs, 8 retainer's, 8 locks, eight cam followers etc are not worth it for me to drop from 6.2 liters(or from 7 liters in my Z06) down to 5.3 liters just to gain 1.25" of length in the V10 engine.

All those extra parts just run up the cost of the engine, and what have you gained? More parts to fail? The LT5 already has 755 horsepower. Is a 5.3L Cadillac engine going to gain another 205 horsepower by adding more parts? My calculations show it would increase to 688 horsepower, just by only adding two additional cylinders. Short by 67 horses.

And, if you don't go with larger turbo's for the additional 1.1 liter displacement, you might even end up more than 67 horses shy of the LT-5's 755.
I have more moving parts in my $100 Swatch and no faults so far.

Yes, what you refer to here is a dogma of sorts that I bought into as well. The small block's greatest trick is its simplicity right?

What truly matters at the end of the day are specifics, details, and proprietary data we can never get our hands on. You can sit me down and yell into my ear all you want about small part count but that's just correlation and what holds an engine together at the end of the day is technology, part quality, and quality control not low part count.

You and me as enthusiasts have one way to test an OEM's engine, and that is to work it hard and see what fails. My experience is that well built high revving DOHC production engines can be more reliable and durable than Chevy's OHVs. My hope is that in the move to DOHC GM will increase it's reliability so that when the engine dies it will be a 200 track hours and due to low compression and general wear not by throwing a rod or dropping a valve at less than 30.

Leave the part counting to bean counters since that's their mo and don't let them trick you into thinking that's something you want!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:15 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
A FI boils some of it! Do the Math.
Anymore outlandish posts, Jeeze!

This has nothing to do with what is being discussed. You talk about outlandish posts yet you post dyno graphs with nothing related to the discussion and toss out random phrases full of incomplete 3rd grade thoughts. Keep up the good work, Johnny.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:13 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Dude! Thanks for the help. ;)

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
This has nothing to do with what is being discussed. You talk about outlandish posts yet you post dyno graphs with nothing related to the discussion and toss out random phrases full of incomplete 3rd grade thoughts. Keep up the good work, Johnny.
Nobodies producing CARB approved thirsty motors and their discussion of such is superfluous. I called him out, as he has done to me. I even told him why! I do that. I read almost none of it anyway. I was playing! That works too.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Details on likely C8 engine