Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so much interest in mid-engine C8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 07:00 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

OP, I get your point and I am a long time Corvette owner; But I am embracing the change to a mid engine format. Not only will it be a better handling car, but with the engine out back, it will allow the car to hook up better by getting additional weight over the rear tires. Lets face it, with the Z06 and now ZR1, the front engine RWD format simply can't put the power down as efficiently as a mid engine will.

As far as appearance, I think it will be a more exotic looking car and a heck of alot more affordable than a Ferrari or Lambo, with what I expect to be superior performance. I believe it is a very exciting time in Corvette history. It is a revolutionary change (for the better) to an already fantastic car.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:02 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I have owned many brands, total of 59 cars to this point and I am still under 50. My last Corvette was a 15 Z06, but when I compare it to my ME sports cars, like the Audi R8 & others I still prefer to drive the ME's. For many that ask the question WHY an ME, probably haven’t spent enough time in a modern Mid-Engine car. I have been very blessed to have driven some crazy exotic cars (McLaren’s, Lambo, Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche, GT3 & New Gen & Old NSX, etc. Their nothing like having the motor behind your ear with the balance and the short front hood view, it’s just hard to beat. I never forget this one day after a 2 hour drive in an ME then I jumped in my Z06 and thought huh something feels strange. ( One area was the long hood). You don’t realize how long the hood is until you switch to a Mid-engine car. My only explanation would be those of us that have a truck or big SUV then jump in the corvette after a long drive. It’s that dramatic of a change when you go WOW this corvette is so much smaller and low to the ground. When driving most Mid-engine cars the first thing you notice is the front visibility and the driving position its just incredible compared to the long hooded corvette. Anyway I am sure once it comes out and you get behind the wheel you will see all the differences the ME brings to the driving experience. I still hope GM makes an FE alongside the ME, but when it’s time for me to spend my money, I will be picking the ME all day long.

Last edited by fasttoys; 04-04-2018 at 07:30 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by fasttoys:
427muscle (04-06-2018), DickieDoo (04-04-2018), elegant (04-04-2018), GS-FLA (04-06-2018), ZishanM (04-06-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Me too. Folks say ME cars are progress and the future. I don't agree.

It's becoming pretty clear that in road racing, the future is weight distribution and the FE cars are at a significant disadvantage compared to the ME's. Look at the Ford GT and the hypercars that are now laying down both incredible "Ring" speeds and blistering top end numbers. I just don't see this happening with a FE designed car. If Cadillac goes ME with turbos, and the corvette doesn't, I think the end of the corvette as a serious performance car will begin.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by 64modified
As the proud new owner of a C7Z and an avid GM customer for most of my life, I'm having a hard time understanding why so many folks appear to be interested in, and excited about, the possibility of a mid-engine American sports/muscle car (which is how I classify the Vette).

I simply can't imagine popping the hood of a Vette and finding a trunk where the engine is supposed to be! I gotta figure that such a car would be much more difficult to work on and I'm not looking forward to hearing or feeling the engine behind me.

So, aside from the possible benefit of better handling on the race track (which, realistically, includes a small percentage of us), why would any Vette owner want a FerrariVette? Why not just leave the Vette alone and buy a Ferrari instead?

For my part, I hope they always make a front-engine version of this awesome car! Seems to me it's already got a great following and does pretty well on the track as it is...
It only takes a handful of chatty users on a forum to make it seem like everyone wants this. If you were to survey all potential corvette owners you may get a different feel.
The following 2 users liked this post by NY09C6:
JoesC5 (04-04-2018), TopEnd (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 07:53 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

We will have both FE and the new ME Corvettes. Like Porsche with keeping their 911 platform continuously updated for their faithful customers, we too will have the traditional front engined Vette for our faithful as well as the new mid engine. Ferrari also uses both FE and ME for their customer base. Ironically, the 1962 front engined Ferrari 250 GTO's are the most valuable cars ever(one sold for 52 million dollars) and still out perform their mid engined models at the Pebble Beach Auctions.

Last edited by skank; 04-04-2018 at 08:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by skank:
JoesC5 (04-04-2018), Shaka (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 08:00 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default !? ;)

Base, Z51, ZO6 - FE

GS and ZO7's; ZR1 - ME

Old 04-04-2018, 09:11 AM
HoldHard
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
It's becoming pretty clear that in road racing, the future is weight distribution and the FE cars are at a significant disadvantage compared to the ME's. Look at the Ford GT and the hypercars that are now laying down both incredible "Ring" speeds and blistering top end numbers. I just don't see this happening with a FE designed car. If Cadillac goes ME with turbos, and the corvette doesn't, I think the end of the corvette as a serious performance car will begin.

A ME Corvette will allow the development of a Corvette that will compete in the 24 Hour race at LeMans in the GTLM class. You can bet that Pratt & Miller already have the available CAD files from the ME development so they have begun work on the next generation GTLM cars.

If I were to guess, it will also have the electric motors on the front wheels for additional power..... as will the Z06 or ZR1 version of the ME street Corvette.

But that's just a slightly educated guess.....

HH
Old 04-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by HoldHard

A ME Corvette will allow the development of a Corvette that will compete in the 24 Hour race at LeMans in the GTLM class. You can bet that Pratt & Miller already have the available CAD files from the ME development so they have begun work on the next generation GTLM cars.

If I were to guess, it will also have the electric motors on the front wheels for additional power..... as will the Z06 or ZR1 version of the ME street Corvette.

HH
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...owertrain.html
Old 04-04-2018, 09:32 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I like the alleged plan of producing a FE and ME simultaneously. Choices are good. For me, as a Corvette loyalist and having owned six Vettes over the last 50 years, I'm ready for a change and looking forward to the ME car and what it has to offer. Hoping they hit a home run with it.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:32 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I'd love to see the correlation between opposing mid engine and chrome wheel ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by village idiot:
DickieDoo (04-04-2018), HPT (04-09-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 10:41 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by 64modified
As the proud new owner of a C7Z and an avid GM customer for most of my life, I'm having a hard time understanding why so many folks appear to be interested in, and excited about, the possibility of a mid-engine American sports/muscle car (which is how I classify the Vette).

I simply can't imagine popping the hood of a Vette and finding a trunk where the engine is supposed to be! I gotta figure that such a car would be much more difficult to work on and I'm not looking forward to hearing or feeling the engine behind me.

So, aside from the possible benefit of better handling on the race track (which, realistically, includes a small percentage of us), why would any Vette owner want a FerrariVette? Why not just leave the Vette alone and buy a Ferrari instead?

For my part, I hope they always make a front-engine version of this awesome car! Seems to me it's already got a great following and does pretty well on the track as it is...

Benefits aren't just for the track - although there can be advantages there.

Take your new C7 Z out and roll hard into the throttle in temps below 50 degrees and then ask yourself if you wouldn't mind having better weight transfer/power to the ground. A disciplined driver can enjoy the C7 Z on the street, to be sure. But it would benefit considerable with a better weight bias and weight transfer to put the power to the ground. And that's before considering mid-turn throttle feathering on the track.
The following users liked this post:
Chrjones2 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:35 AM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

I wonder if the sales will allow a FE and ME simultaneously? If the ME is slightly better all around and significantly more expensive it would be more likely imo. It's hard for me to believe that someone would choose the FE if they were closely priced and in performance if the ME looks sexier and more exotic. I really hope they don't take the ME out of middle class price range just to keep the FE layout too. If that's the case then I could see the highest end C8's running up to around 130k+ while the ME's will be close to 200k to separate the models...
Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by HoldHard

HH
The electric motors on the front wheels hasn't helped Acura sell the new NSX. Sales matters more than track wins. GM is in the business of making a profit, not collecting trophy's(if they are lucky enough to win a race or two).
Old 04-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
As my son [Sean] said - "dad ,how long did it take porsche to figure out how to stop swapping ends in the 911 most of the time when hitting the brakes in a turn???"
"Do you think G M is going to be able to do that right out of production of the 1st generation of rear/mid engine cars?"
I'll stay with tried and true front engine Vettes!

You should tell your son that the 911 uses a rear engine, not a mid-engine design. The rear engine design comes with completely different driving dynamics and challenges than a mid-engine design.
427muscle (04-06-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The electric motors on the front wheels hasn't helped Acura sell the new NSX. Sales matters more than track wins. GM is in the business of making a profit, not collecting trophy's(if they are lucky enough to win a race or two).
Corvette Racing has a 20 year stretch of great wins and it's translated into building some pretty incredible corvettes for the street. When IMSA road races have set aside areas called Corvette Corral's, that's a damned good indicator of how serious Chevy takes corvette road racing, and corvette owners.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:02 PM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
As my son [Sean] said - "dad ,how long did it take porsche to figure out how to stop swapping ends in the 911 most of the time when hitting the brakes in a turn???"
"Do you think G M is going to be able to do that right out of production of the 1st generation of rear/mid engine cars?"
I'll stay with tried and true front engine Vettes!
Porsche's "end-swapping" challenge was with the 911 models, all rear engine. I believe it was Ferdinand Alexander Porsche who said something like "the 911 is an ill conceived notion, developed to perfection."

Mid engine cars, with Low Polar Moment design, with all things equal (suspension design, tires and etc.), easily out perform any High Polar Moment designs. Furthermore, this inherent advantage allows advanced handling systems (e.g. Torque Vectoring, ABS, Traction Control) to perform with greater results. See: http://ironduke7.tripod.com/polarmoment.htm

I believe the C8 will have no problem outperforming a C7, year one. After all, it will be largely the same engineering group that delivered the C7 that will be delivering the C8, however they will be working with a superior configuration.

Last edited by copjsd; 04-04-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Boiler_81 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by copjsd
I believe the C8 will have no problem outperforming a C7, year one. After all, it will be largely the same engineering group that delivered the C7 that will be delivering the C8, however they will be working with a superior configuration.
Exactly. Look what Ford did with the resurgence of the GT after 50 years of not racing LeMans. From scratch they designed an ME that OWNED that track for 3 years in a row. Chevy has 20 years of experience and 12 Manufacturers titles behind them.

Get notified of new replies

To Why so much interest in mid-engine C8?

Old 04-04-2018, 02:52 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Let's see:
better steering feedback
better view of the road
more downforce
less drag
better breaking
higher grip
lower curb weight
more engine bay space

weighed against what, lifting the hood? Hopefully the C8 will be reliable enough that you don't have to do that as often as on the previous gens!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Corvette Racing has a 20 year stretch of great wins and it's translated into building some pretty incredible corvettes for the street. When IMSA road races have set aside areas called Corvette Corral's, that's a damned good indicator of how serious Chevy takes corvette road racing, and corvette owners.
Go back to 1989/90 and in every race of the Corvette Challenge Series, a Corvette won.....but that didn't help sagging Corvette sales that almost caused GM to shut down the Corvette in 1992.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Chrjones2
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Benefits aren't just for the track - although there can be advantages there.

Take your new C7 Z out and roll hard into the throttle in temps below 50 degrees and then ask yourself if you wouldn't mind having better weight transfer/power to the ground. A disciplined driver can enjoy the C7 Z on the street, to be sure. But it would benefit considerable with a better weight bias and weight transfer to put the power to the ground. And that's before considering mid-turn throttle feathering on the track.
As someone who had a c7z i couldn't agree more.

The benefit to mid engine i am most excited about is traction!

Last edited by Chrjones2; 04-04-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Why so much interest in mid-engine C8?