Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will Ford's response be to the C8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
I have always wondered why Ford, a company with a tremendous presence in all forms of performance, hasn't come up with a direct challenge on the street to the Corvette. The Mustang vs Camaro rivalry has been a slugfest for 50 years, but nothing from them at the next level.

The C8 in a ME configuration, has a real opportunity to be a game changer in the world of supercars. With 20 years of racing, and most importantly, winning, taking this knowledge to a ME could create a massive market where one has never existed in the American auto arena. A sub $100k supercar doesn't exist that I am aware of.

The initial pix/drawings of the C8 show a definite european supercar influence with looks. Now add massive Chevy horsepower and I see a street/track Godzilla.

Will Ford finally offer a challenge to the Corvette? I sure hope so!
Some shots of the GT500 show a wild looking car that could compete with the ME
Old 04-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

It's BLASPHEMY but if Chevrolet dealers where I shop start dicking around with the ME and it has quality problems I'm looking at a GT500

Last edited by Walter Raulerson; 04-11-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
It's BLASPHEMY but if Chevrolet dealers where I shop star dicking around with the ME and it has quality problems I'm looking at a GT500
fords not exactly the king of quality and reliability either. Good luck getting a gt500 or at least at MSRP, Ford probably has the worst issues with ADMs.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:32 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I doubt it is a response to the Ford GT. Ford GTs (all of them put together) are scarcer than Hen's Teeth. It is a response to the need to produce a fuel efficient vehicle with sufficient power and great handling to compete with the other sports cars in the market that have a much greater presence. I have seen more Ferrari 458s, Lambo's and Porsche 911s at tracks, car shows and on the street than I have ever seen of Ford GTs over 50+ years. I can count the number of real GTs I have seen over that time period on less fingers than I have on my hands.

Bill
I knew someone would pick apart that statement, I merely meant it as Ford isn't going to "respond to mid engine Corvette", and in the markets eyes it'll be presented as the opposite. In reality, clearly the mid engine Corvette is not a response to the FordGT. The car market is global...and I feel that the entire sector Corvette wishes to compete in required the move.

I'll just point out though, that modular construction could one day lead to a mid-engine mustang. There have been concepts built, GTSport (polyphony digital...i.e. Gran Turismo) has a mid engine Mustang in it (video games=marketing) and Ford's Project Silver, was essentially looking at making Mustang a contender in GTE/GTLM but it was found to be too costly with the current platform.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford aims to do with Mustang, what Corvette will actually do with C7...use a modular construction to build a multiplatform car. That's how you make a Mustang spread from 30k to 130k bucks.

The FordGT could very well be the HALO to what really is an internal project to make a full production mid-engine car on the Mustang brand.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-11-2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
Old 04-11-2018, 03:43 PM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't think Ford cares to compete with the Vette directly. The Ford GT has always been much more expensive and exclusive, and comes around for certain special occasions but then goes away for a while.

The closest thing they have right now is the GT350, but that really only competes with the "normal" C7. It is too heavy to really compete with the GS and beyond (in terms of raw performance - it is a very fun car and does compete well in that subjective area). Same goes for the upcoming GT500 (and good luck finding one of those at a reasonable price). It will be a beast, and given how well the GT350 is tuned, I think the GT500 will handle extremely well, but it will still be quite heavy. Obviously it competes more directly with the Camaro ZL1.

I think the ME Vette will pretty much be competing directly against the European cars.

Would love to see Ford do something to compete with even the front engine Vette (a two-seater that is smaller and lighter than the Mustang).

-T
Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by acroy
Corvette is unique; Ford, Dodge do not have direct competitors. Some versions of the Mustagn get close 'but it's still a mustang' and shares genes with 4-cyl rental car penalty boxes.
Corvette competitors are the Germans.
Correct Answer!

Ford has pretty much refused to compete with the Corvette in it's own segment.

Not the overpriced Mustangs, Not the impossible to get Ford Gt, and certainly not any Thunderbird made in a long long time .....

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I'll just point out though, that modular construction could one day lead to a mid-engine mustang. There have been concepts built, GTSport (polyphony digital...i.e. Gran Turismo) has a mid engine Mustang in it (video games=marketing) and Ford's Project Silver, was essentially looking at making Mustang a contender in GTE/GTLM but it was found to be too costly with the current platform.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford aims to do with Mustang, what Corvette will actually do with C7...use a modular construction to build a multiplatform car. That's how you make a Mustang spread from 30k to 130k bucks.

The FordGT could very well be the HALO to what really is an internal project to make a full production mid-engine car on the Mustang brand.
If they were really interested in a 2 seat, true sport cars that compete with the Corvette in it's segment I would suggest they look into bringing the Daytona nameplate back.

They won't do that though because they have shown no interest in competing with Corvette. Instead, they play the game, wisely perhaps, of using the Shelby Mustang name to siphon off as many sales as they can. Saves production costs for the Mustang and is much cheaper than designing a new car in such a small segment.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-11-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your response look like this!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 570RadRacing
Correct Answer!

Ford has pretty much refused to compete with the Corvette in it's own segment.

Not the overpriced Mustangs, Not the impossible to get Ford Gt, and certainly not any Thunderbird made in a long long time .....
Seems like they would have by now I mean 65 years to come up with something

Originally Posted by tbrenny33

fords not exactly the king of quality and reliability either. Good luck getting a gt500 or at least at MSRP, Ford probably has the worst issues with ADMs.
I'm sure of that but we all buy and HOPE

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-11-2018 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your response look like this!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:34 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default You mean sandbagging the turbos in GTLM!? ;)

Old 04-11-2018, 11:09 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Ford will have no response to the 2020 ME Corvette.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:44 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I doubt it is a response to the Ford GT. Ford GTs (all of them put together) are scarcer than Hen's Teeth. It is a response to the need to produce a fuel efficient vehicle with sufficient power and great handling to compete with the other sports cars in the market that have a much greater presence. I have seen more Ferrari 458s, Lambo's and Porsche 911s at tracks, car shows and on the street than I have ever seen of Ford GTs over 50+ years. I can count the number of real GTs I have seen over that time period on less fingers than I have on my hands.

Bill
Bingo, you hit it right on the top of the nail. Biggest issue I see with FGT owners is parts availability and properly qualified dealer service (ask me how I know ).
Old 04-12-2018, 12:12 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

IMHO, the real question is "what is Ford's response to the C7 ZR1".

Didn't it just spank their $450K supercar at VIR?

Last edited by tomlink; 04-12-2018 at 12:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tomlink:
Mike Campbell (04-15-2018), NotreOkc (04-13-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 01:27 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT SR
Ford had one thing only in mind with the GT, win LeMan's for the 50th and make a few street cars to make it legal.
Agreed.
The new GT500 should compete with the ZR1 very well
Huh???

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
specially if it does get the rumored DCT.
I doubt it will get a DCT; there is no need for one.
It's competition is the Camaro and Challenger and they have slushboxes.
Ford has a fine AT and it makes economic sense to use it for the Mustang.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,994 Likes on 1,678 Posts

You missed my point. Where is their ME car to compete against the price points of the Corvette? They don't have one.
We don’t KNOW the Price point of the ME C8.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
We don’t KNOW the Price point of the ME C8.

Correct, any price range associated with the C8 is pure speculation here, but I don't believe for a second this thing is going to have an MSRP of a "base model" anywhere over $70k, and that's stretching it quite a bit. Too many players are in this sports car market now. Names like Porsche, Lotus, Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, Cadillac and others are all fighting for a piece of this pie. GM has a tremendous amount at stake rolling out something this radical and especially carrying the Corvette wings.

I honestly hope they knock this baby outta the ball park. A mid engined C8 Grand Sport for under 70K would send a hell of a message.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Kappa
Ford isn't stupid. No need to move into the 911/Corvette territory. Too many established players. Same reason why the Chrysler Firepower never made it to production.

The GTxxx Mustangs cover more than enough territory to satisfy the $55K+ crowd for them.

Allow me to add the following:
Ford watched as Dodge discontinued the Viper. They know going against Corvette would be a hard economic challenge.
Ford would have to find room in its CAFE to come out with large number of high performance cars. Like it or not, regulatory considerations must be accounted for.
How much room is there in Ford R&D for another project in addition to their electrification program?
Finally, Would an affordable, high performance Ford sports car simply cannibalize Mustang Cobra sales? It's more a matter of how much, not if it will. You can take that one to the bank.

Last edited by roadbike56; 04-13-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:40 AM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Chevy is always ahead of the game (and Ford). They build Camaros that outperform the best Ford has. There is a reason Ford does not throw their hat into the sports car ring, they simple cannot hang (including Dodge.). They stopped production of the Viper because of one reason, no one is buying them! Vettes have been around and selling and dominating since 1953.
Ford sell trucks....and are great at it. The best they can do is 450K GT and Chevy already stomped on its neck at VIR. With a Engineer driving.
You just can't climb in the ring with Ali because you think you can box.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.

What do you mean by 'Modular' chassis exactly? Can you give examples? GM was amazing with their modular engines designs. Detroit Diesel, Alyson engines and gearboxes, small block Chevys, Olds Quad 4. Ford had their modular dohc V8 engines. Tony Rudd screwed up his Etna LT5 Corvette engine design because GM wanted the same bore centers as the cast iron small block, thinking that the cylinder OHC heads would fit both. That's a little different to constructing chassis.
Can you make a mid engine chassis from the C7 chassis? Don't think so. From what I see on the C8, it hasn't been done before. I explored a ME C5 but could not modify the chassis successfully. You can do a lot with CAD systems but it can't defy physics. Porsche did a clever thing with the Boxter and the 911 chassis. The floor pan and windshield forward is the same, that's all. Even slight dimensional differences in wheel base and track and component placement, present massive global problems.

No similarities between C7 and C8 other than the perimeter hydro formed rails. I haven't seen a design like this before. Out the box thinking from the Corvette boys.

This can be considered a modular chassis if modular is defined by modifying existing structures to perform multiple duties.

917 tubular space frame. Can't alter a single thing.

McLaren MP4 single purpose chassis.

Mercedes Benz AMG GT can't be reconfigured.

Lotus Elise. Now this chassis can be made for relocating the engine.

This chassis is currently a rear ME but with slight mods it is been converted to a front engine for a special project that I will post on the forum.

Suspension geometry change. Can be considered modular designing but this is a simple design.

Ford GT. You may be able to make a front engine with this design.

Lamborghini Aventador. Energy absorption for front and rear engine consideration is vastly different for FE and ME cars. The trend is mild steel components for this duty.

Lambo Huracan shares a modified Audi A8 chassis.

You can't alter much here without altering load path loads thru the chassis drastically.

Singular design application. Put doors here and the car will weigh 400 lbs more and you will still loose essential properties.

The backbone modulus can save much weight. Sheet metal can replace tubes. I bet the C8 has a carbon fiber center tunnel like the Huracan.

Front and rear engine can't be made a FE chassis on this Evans LMP chassis.

C5 mid engine with original chassis. Impossible to do unless you want a 4200 lb sports car.

Duntov's SS chassis. Single application. A copy of the 55 Mercedes SLR.

Last edited by Shaka; 04-13-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What will Ford's response be to the C8?

Old 04-13-2018, 06:38 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

I have always wondered why Ford, a company with a tremendous presence in all forms of performance, hasn't come up with a direct challenge on the street to the Corvette. The Mustang vs Camaro rivalry has been a slugfest for 50 years, but nothing from them at the next level.

The C8 in a ME configuration, has a real opportunity to be a game changer in the world of supercars. With 20 years of racing, and most importantly, winning, taking this knowledge to a ME could create a massive market where one has never existed in the American auto arena. A sub $100k supercar doesn't exist that I am aware of.

The initial pix/drawings of the C8 show a definite european supercar influence with looks. Now add massive Chevy horsepower and I see a street/track Godzilla.

Will Ford finally offer a challenge to the Corvette? I sure hope so!
The GT is a flop!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:04 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The GT is a flop!
Why do you say that?
Old 04-14-2018, 02:39 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by NotreOkc
Chevy is always ahead of the game (and Ford). They build Camaros that outperform the best Ford has. There is a reason Ford does not throw their hat into the sports car ring, they simple cannot hang (including Dodge.). They stopped production of the Viper because of one reason, no one is buying them!
I loved my old Gen 2 GTS, but it was a car that far outlived its expiration date.

Dodge eventually realized it couldn't ever compete with the Corvette in the marketplace and let it remain pretty much the same car for 20 years.
So many, many times it was brought back from the brink...it was amazing how long it managed to stay around.
You just can't climb in the ring with Ali because you think you can box.
Truth.

Quick Reply: What will Ford's response be to the C8?