Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many years will it take GM to get the C8 right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 05:30 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PobreWey
What a waste, I want it in the first year so I get to enjoy it as the newest model for close to a decade. Learned my lesson buying a C7 4.5 years after it was released. Never again
I agree with you completely. I took delivery of my C7 Oct 3rd of 13 & loved the experience of having the 1st of a new model in town. I'm in line to get the 1st ME in town (if the price is not much over $100,000) and looking forward to the new model experience all over again. As far as 1st year problems, I've had it into the dealer to have the touch screen replaced & several times to have the oil changed. Small price to pay for the last 4 plus years of driving it.
The following users liked this post:
PobreWey (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 09:31 PM
zergi06
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

How ever many years it takes for the C9 to come out. By then they should have a firm grasp on the ME.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:17 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It is factual that the best of a generation is the last year of it. That is true of the Corvette and all other vehicles.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:45 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Sorry to have to ask these questions but I don't have much faith that the C8 will be affordable or start as a great car.
I expect GM to play the market game and drag us along with the next best option. example c7, GS, Z06, ZR1.

Do you expect the C8 to start as a better car than any of the C7 models?

How long will it take for a C8 mid-engine to out perform the C7 ZR1?
I expect it but we have to go by past experience My 2010 was practically trouble free but my 2015 had the shudder and other stuff. I hope they get it right. There probably won't be any available for me the first year so maybe they'll have it in better shape by year 2
Old 05-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Every company that designs hardware wants a first pass design. In a competitive environment you can't afford not to hit the nail on the head with your first shot. The automated design tools and testing processes they have now make it more likely they will get that first pass design. Just like the pilot that jumps into the first version of a brand new aircraft and takes it off the ground for the first time you have to have faith the people who built it knew what they were doing. The better the job done on the first model the lower the costs are for warranty repair and development of the next iteration.

GM pretty much did that with the C5 Corvette. The 97s were probably the best built of the series. The design tools are 20 years better now than they were then so I am pretty sure GM will have a very trouble free car right out of the box.

Bill

Everyone will have their own version of "the car isn't right" some problems will not bother some and others will be pissed if ANYTHING goes wrong. LIKE ME
Old 05-13-2018, 10:51 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I'm hoping the quality problems will be minor, or fixed with recall.

I think the paint will be much better.

The mid-engine car will not be as fast as the C7 ZR1. Hopefully faster than a base C7. Then, over time, they will introduce the DOHC and twin turbo versions. By that time, they will make the fastest Corvette in history.

Actually, I would prefer the lighter weight of a V6 twin turbo. You can get a lot of power out of those.

I just hope they keep making the front-engine car at an affordable price.

I'd like to see it like it was when the built the 63-67. You can order any engine . They should do that with any model
Old 05-13-2018, 10:57 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I would like to buy an early one if it can be had with a pushrod V8 and a stick.

My 2014 Z51 has 49K miles... leaking injector when new (prior owner) and passenger seat got stuck. Since I've owned it the water pump and belt tensioner have been replaced.

interior is very quiet for a 50K mile car with sriffer non-mag Z51 springs. My wife's 2012 Mercedes ML350'is my quality benchmark and the interior of the C7 has less noises.

The paint is really poor (knew that going in) but I wanted white and wanted to be sub $40K so it hides the flaws. Compared to my 4 prior C5s the C7s lower density SMC has more defects and waviness, there are more paint defects, and the orange peel on vertical surfaces is bad... but it's hard to see on a white car! The worst is the panel gap inconsistencies... it's all over the place. I've had to adjust the whole car to get it on par with my C5s.

Heres the kicker.... the 2019s are no better as far as panel fit. They all have the doors in slightly different spots, the hood to fender gaps vary widely, roof halo to hatch to targa panel varies and headlight fit is all over... BUT!!!! The paint and panels themselves are WAY better. They robot wet sand all the panels now to take the waviness out before they go through an all new paint process.

I just wish GM paid more attention to panel gaps... they market that they do, but they don't... the C7 is harder to assemble given the way the roof halo and hatch are designed, there's more variance in how you can position the quarters and fenders and you can't get to he hood hing to frame bolts once the bumper is on... all makes for more variation.

Hoping the C8 is rad... want silver with red interior this time.
That gives them character. Also they sell almost all they make. You know "FOR THE MONEY IT'S THE BEST"
Old 05-16-2018, 08:35 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by elegant
It is factual that the best of a generation is the last year of it. That is true of the Corvette and all other vehicles.
Very true. Altho sometimes, they actually take away options/configurations possibly to simplify things. ('96 Corvette, LT1-A4 only; LT4-M6 only)
Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
The 90 roadster fetches the highest prices of the vert C4s.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:04 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The design parameter for the C6 was 5mm panel gaps; for the C7 is was/is 3mm. The GM team has heard from thousands of Corvette owners for decades, including hundreds of C7 owners, that paint and panel gaps were the two things that still needed impropvement. They listened on the paint shop, but more than listening, they then committed $435M to fix the paint, and consequently, we are seeing and hearing repeat reports about how much better the 2019 paint is. Mike Furman has received hundreds and hundreds of new 2019, and in his personal inspection of each one, he has shared that the 2019 paint is a major improvement, of much better quality.

We hope that GM has done more than listening in the area of panel gaps as our Corvette heads forward, that the ME pioneers reduced-width panel gaps. Perhaps, as the ME is a ground up new design — though again it starts from the aluminum chassis and the aperature panel, that they have figured out different attaching methods, better clips, “inside” flanges on adjoining gaps with nuts/screws to suck and hold the two panels together, or some other means to improve this on the ME!

If we are truly going to compete with the exotics, panel gap improvement is an area that needs further improvement.

Last edited by elegant; 05-16-2018 at 01:26 PM.
RapidC84B (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 04:09 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

The new paint and panel quality is awesome. The consistency with which the cars are put together still stinks worse than my C5s. Still love my C7 though. It's not he gap width, but the consistency... the gaps are all over, vary side to side of the car, and often expand or contract... the hoods are really bad.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 05-16-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Red Rochester (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 11:26 PM
arturobandini
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Those saying there will be no first year issues forget about all the problems with the A8. My local Chevy dealer’s head mechanic said they were working out issues and changing components on the A8 until 2017. My own experience: myriad minor issues with 2000 C5 ; 2015 C7 repurchased by GM due to bad A8: 2019 C7 required new struts and differential at 1800 miles. Bottom line: I’ll wait at least two years before considering a C8.
Walt White Coupe (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

The first 2 years of C7 had the best auto tranny.. also the best color yellow..

You get a full warranty and as in all things there will be a small % of crap breaking.. If you need that as an excuse instead of "I cant afford it" then so be it. I get it.. Im on the edge also.

The difference is my family is pissing me off and life sucks and I'm gonna break . It makes no sense for me to buy this car other then I want it. Maybe my wife will take it from me but at least it will take a year before the judge gives it to her. Also, I'm making it yellow with a big wing so she may just say F it and let me keep it... see how smart I am... planning for the future!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:25 AM
Propspinner
Pro

Received 719 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
I had this very conversation with Mike Furman and he basically told me that the manufacturers try, and succeed with greater frequency, to get it right the first time these days. You are so correct, it is 2018.
Mike Furman is a salesman, what else would you expect him to say? I’d try another source.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:43 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by arturobandini
Those saying there will be no first year issues forget about all the problems with the A8. My local Chevy dealer’s head mechanic said they were working out issues and changing components on the A8 until 2017. My own experience: myriad minor issues with 2000 C5 ; 2015 C7 repurchased by GM due to bad A8: 2019 C7 required new struts and differential at 1800 miles. Bottom line: I’ll wait at least two years before considering a C8.
The A8 was an answer to a question nobody was asking for. The A6.2 used in the 2014 C7 had the same torque converter as the A8 but was proven and has a much better track record than the A8, even in 2019. GM tried to sell the A8 as a DCT type device which it never was and never will be. An 8-speed auto transmission for a V-8 engine is totally unnecessary except for (slightly) better fuel economy.

In contrast, the Tremec M7 manual transmission has, on the other hand, been very reliable and provided good performance in every C7 it has been installed in. The rest of the C7 including the LT1, LT4 and LT5 has been remarkably reliable since it’s introduction in the Fall of 2013.

My MY2014 has been flawless, but I have never abused it. If you treat your car like a NASCAR stocker or a NHRA dragster, you will have issues. That is the price of the adrenaline rush.

The gestation of the C8 has been longer than the C7 or the C6. GM has had years to iron out its bugs.

The Tremec 9080 DCT is built like a tank transmission. It weighs 50% more than a Porsche PDK. Chances are good that it will be as reliable as the M7 - they have a lot riding on its success, because their manual transmission business is going the way of the Do-Do bird. Tremec bought much of the DCT controller technology Porsche used for their highly thought of PDK.

The C8 chassis is essentially the same construction as the C7, so that risk is small. The same for nearly all of its component systems, including their processing hardware and software.

I plan to buy a first year C8, and I have no fears about its reliability.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:00 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by zergi06
How ever many years it takes for the C9 to come out. By then they should have a firm grasp on the ME.
The C9, if it happens, will likely be an EV. There is no front or mid or rear engine in an EV. Tesla has shown that a floor pan stuffed with the heavy battery lowers the CG, and that one or more electric motors can outpull any IC engine in acceleration. The greatest hill climber in history is a VW EV. It set the record at Pikes Peak last year.

The C8 will likely be both the first and last mid-engine Corvette. Enjoy it while it’s here.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:56 AM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,359 Posts

The car has a warranty and it's not my daily driver and I sold my other sports cars a couple of years ago. The C8 is the only car that gives me that "I Have to Have It" feeling so I'll take a chance... Nothing compares...
ClothSeats (10-10-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To How many years will it take GM to get the C8 right?

Old 10-10-2019, 06:48 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by nexxis
What’s the overall consensus of other generations? Yes I still hear C7’s occasionally have problems to this day, but I’ve also heard a ton of people say their 2014’s have been super reliable. What about the other generations?
I agree tremendously 👍
Old 10-10-2019, 08:09 AM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

I have had a 1982,2004,2008,2013,2015 and a 2017. Zero problems, period.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 AM
fzust
Burning Brakes

Received 1,129 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by mracer14
I have had a 1982,2004,2008,2013,2015 and a 2017. Zero problems, period.
Either you should be buying lottery tickets or your cars have had years of hard garage/cars&coffee miles!

My wife had a very early 1997 C5 and it was pretty darn reliable. She put 180k miles on it until spinning a rod bearing at an autox. That was related to the early LS-1 blocks not having adequate venting in the crank case.

Later she had a 2008 C6 Z which was fine until it started randomly dying at stop lights. Like complete electrical failure.

Now she has a 2012 C6 Z 100AE which has been perfect.

Quick Reply: How many years will it take GM to get the C8 right?