Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Default Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8

We have thread after thread of people tearing apart their interiors to put in sound deadening in their C7's. Nobody should have to go to all this trouble and expense just to get a quiet cabin. Considering this is the year 2018, with lots of technology to keep cabin sound levels free of excessive wind and road noise, while still being light and economical, it's surprising the Corvette is so far behind the times in this area. Sound control is about good engineering. Even pickup trucks are quiet now. Very quiet!

I'm hoping Chevy brings the C8 up to current standards, if not exceeding them. A quiet interior would go a long ways to convincing some people to move to the mid-engine car, and making it their daily driver.

Last edited by Michael A; 04-30-2018 at 05:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael A:
BarneyZ (05-12-2018), Rayrider7 (05-04-2018)

Popular Reply

04-30-2018, 06:08 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

^^^^^

And....we have thread after thread with people complaining that the NPP exhaust isn't loud enough and asking for advice regarding aftermarket LOUD exhaust systems. I think anyone who finds a C7 too loud inside should re-consider their car choice. Not trying to be snarky but it IS a sports car. Or buy a C7 convertible.

You speak of "current" standards. What SPORTS car do you know of that is quiet inside?
Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^^^

And....we have thread after thread with people complaining that the NPP exhaust isn't loud enough and asking for advice regarding aftermarket LOUD exhaust systems. I think anyone who finds a C7 too loud inside should re-consider their car choice. Not trying to be snarky but it IS a sports car. Or buy a C7 convertible.

You speak of "current" standards. What SPORTS car do you know of that is quiet inside?

Last edited by jimmyb; 04-30-2018 at 06:09 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Boiler_81 (04-30-2018), Mcrider (05-04-2018), revilingfool (05-10-2018), Speednet (04-30-2018), twilhelm39 (04-30-2018), WKM (05-02-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^^^

I can cruise along at 80 MPH with my exhaust in 'quiet' mode and never hear it unless I get on it or I put it into 'loud' mode.

Tire and road noise is with me 100% of the time and it gets aggravating at 80 MPH.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

^^^^^

Anyone who thinks that the Corvette should not be more refined over time, including NVH, should just buy an old car. How does buying a C7 convertible reduce sound decibels?

Last edited by Michael A; 04-30-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Michael A
I think anyone who thinks the Corvette should not be more refined over time should just buy an old car.
My 1964 Corvette coupe isn't near as loud(tire and road noise) as my C6 Z06. Not even close, and the 64 still has all of it's original rubber suspension parts, weather-stripping, and the original rubber body mounts.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:59 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Can't please all the people all the time.

I hear jaguars f type is being discounted quite heavily and offers sports sedan like NVH as well as a supercharged 500 plus hp v8.

Might be something to consider if the upcoming c8 doesn't meet your NVH standards.

Lightweight high performance machines such as corvettes tend to lean towards a more visceral driving experience and that does lend to slightly higher NVH.

Just something for the original poster to consider.

Fwiw many of us enjoy the raw racecar like sensations that corvettes tend to offer along with their superior performance and handling.

Just a perspective to consider

Good luck
Old 04-30-2018, 07:00 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My 1964 Corvette coupe isn't near as loud(tire and road noise) as my C6 Z06. Not even close, and the 64 still has all of it's original rubber suspension parts, weather-stripping, and the original rubber body mounts.
Wow! We've made no progress in 50 years.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Wow! We've made no progress in 50 years.
Well, I do have another ~250 horses in my Z06, but I could always install a LS7 in my 64(and still cruise at 80 in peace and quiet, until I go WOT).

My 64 has all(except for Air and cruise control) the creature comforts that my C6 has. PS, PB, PW, AM/FM, all tinted glass. Air and cruise control is easy to add also.

My 64 is quite a bit lighter than a C7(and lighter than my C6 Z06) and most likely lighter than the mid engine.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-30-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:30 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Can't please all the people all the time.

I hear jaguars f type is being discounted quite heavily and offers sports sedan like NVH as well as a supercharged 500 plus hp v8.

Might be something to consider if the upcoming c8 doesn't meet your NVH standards.

Lightweight high performance machines such as corvettes tend to lean towards a more visceral driving experience and that does lend to slightly higher NVH.

Just something for the original poster to consider.

Fwiw many of us enjoy the raw racecar like sensations that corvettes tend to offer along with their superior performance and handling.

Just a perspective to consider

Good luck
For those people who like "raw racecar like sensations" of road, tire and wind noise, they can always put the windows down. V8 engine noise I can understand. Road, tire and wind noise, I can't see any enjoyment there whatsoever.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:43 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Personally, I don't want any more sound deadening (and heavy) items added to the C8. If I did, I'd look to buy a car like the Lexus LC500... getting awesome reviews and a very, very refined interior with, I'm certain, great NVH.

I can put up with a bit or wind/road noise to go along with the exhaust and engine. To be honest, I never thought my C7 was particularly noisy. I'd rather GM save the weight and invest their $$ elsewhere in the car.

Last edited by gthal; 04-30-2018 at 07:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gthal:
Boiler_81 (04-30-2018), JerriVette (04-30-2018), Raisin Man (05-12-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

For those people who like "raw racecar like sensations" of road, tire and wind noise, they can always put the windows down. V8 engine noise I can understand. Road, tire and wind noise, I can't see any enjoyment there whatsoever.
While i agree taking the roof off or dropping the windows would increase environmental interactions your statements in this thread shows your perspective might be evidence you are not best served by corvettes of any generation.

Test drive the new c8 and see if it meets your desires..maybe it will. I'm just glad the corvettes are so rigid and have such a high standard of structural rigidity.

The Lexus LC500 is supposedly getting a higher output supercharged v8 soon and I'd imagine it will more likely meet your expectations with regards to NVH.

The rest of us enjoy many of the visceral connections to the environment in tactile sensations.

You call that something you don't like while many of us want the c8 to be as light as possible and with all that said I'm sure some NVH improvements will be made in the c8.

I suspect by your posts you won't be satisfied by the corvette NVH levels achieved and either a jaguar f type 550 hp supercharged front engine c8 or the remarkably Avante garden Lexus LC500 with a forced induction v8.

I also think the Mercedes AMG GTS would be something to consider as well. I haven't driven one but I think preowned it might be a car of a similiar pricepoint and it's pretty bad ***. Micheal , I imagine it's NVH could meet your expectations.

At the very least go for a test drive to decide which suits you best.

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-30-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:00 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

A Caddy is probably a good choice for people wanting more sound deadening in their car.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Sports cars are like sex. They need to be loud, wild, and well lubricated.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mjolitor 68:
I-SPEEED (05-11-2018), ltomn (05-02-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:06 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I love the C7’s sound-level-adjustable exhaust. We take long road trips in our Corvettes, and like the ability to have a quiet exhausts when we want it. However, for around town, I love loud exhaust music!

Hope the ME also has factory exhaust level adjustment option like the C7.

However, what I do not love about the C7 (all versions) is that tire pavement whine comes into the cabin way too much — and similarly hope that the ME has just enough, lightweight sound deadening to reduce the C7’s tire whine by say 50%.

But please GM, give us loud exhausts when we want to hear that glorious V8 exhaust sound!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

We have a vocal contingent who basically want a racecar for the street, and view anyone who wants a comfortable sports car a threat to that goal. They are told to go buy something different.

The problem is, there aren't enough people with the financial means to purchase a C8 who want a noisy, uncomfortable "racecar for the street". The Viper has already proven that to be the case.

For the C8 to succeed, it will have to appeal to a broader audience beyond track rats and racer wannabes. Chevrolet will need to work toward getting Lexus and Jaguar buyers to buy a C8, not push them away. Porsche knows this. That's why they create special models for the racers, such as the "Club Sport" models, rather than devoting their entire line to one small group of racers. Club Sport models do have sound insulation removed, along with interior parts and other "non-essential" components for the purpose of track use. Then they charge those buyers extra for having those items removed. It's a brilliant piece of marketing. If you take their 911 model, for example, the bottom line is they have a model for everyone, from the daily driver (most of their customers), to the all out racers.

Last edited by Michael A; 04-30-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Anyone who thinks that the Corvette should not be more refined over time, including NVH, should just buy an old car. How does buying a C7 convertible reduce sound decibels?
C7 (and C6) convertibles are noticeably quieter in the cabin verses the coupes (Top and windows up verses Targa in place and windows up). The cabin in the C6 and C7 convertible is closed off from the luggage area. I spent last week driving a friends 2015 coupe (I have 2014 convertible) and I was amazed how much quieter my car is. That said, I didn't find the noise level in my friends coupe objectionable.
I'm curious...do you own a C7? If so, do you think it has excessive NVH verses other SPORTS CARS? Porsche 911? ANY Ferrari? ANY Lamborghini?

Last edited by jimmyb; 04-30-2018 at 10:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:43 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Well, I do have another ~250 horses in my Z06, but I could always install a LS7 in my 64(and still cruise at 80 in peace and quiet, until I go WOT).

My 64 has all(except for Air and cruise control) the creature comforts that my C6 has. PS, PB, PW, AM/FM, all tinted glass. Air and cruise control is easy to add also.

My 64 is quite a bit lighter than a C7(and lighter than my C6 Z06) and most likely lighter than the mid engine.
Joe,
I know you can't help yourself (firing darts at the C7) and we all expect that, but you are out of your mind if you don't know that an LS7 would twist your 1964 coupe into a pretzel and then spit on you.

And I'm sure you can't hear tire and wind noise because of all the rattles. Or do you have the only rattle free C2 in existence?
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
JerriVette (04-30-2018), VETTE-NV (05-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8

Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

We have a vocal contingent who basically want a racecar for the street, and view anyone who wants a comfortable sports car a threat to that goal. They are told to go buy something different.

The problem is, there aren't enough people with the financial means to purchase a C8 who want a noisy, uncomfortable "racecar for the street". The Viper has already proven that to be the case.

For the C8 to succeed, it will have to appeal to a broader audience beyond track rats and racer wannabes. Chevrolet will need to work toward getting Lexus and Jaguar buyers to buy a C8, not push them away. Porsche knows this. That's why they create special models for the racers, such as the "Club Sport" models, rather than devoting their entire line to one small group of racers. Club Sport models do have sound insulation removed, along with interior parts and other "non-essential" components for the purpose of track use. Then they charge those buyers extra for having those items removed. It's a brilliant piece of marketing. If you take their 911 model, for example, the bottom line is they have a model for everyone, from the daily driver (most of their customers), to the all out racers.
Micheal,

I do not believe you will ever find the corvette as isolated as the jaguar f type supercharged v8 coupe or the Lexus lc500 which I hear might be coming with a forced induction motor to up its game.

The Mercedes AMG GTS is also a wonderful vehicle.

How much NVH reduction you are looking from is harder to decifer from your posts.

If you are looking for jaguar f type or Lexus lc500 levels you might be better served with those vehicles. ..same for the Mercedes AMG GTS.

If you are looking for a smaller increase in NVH in the next generation corvette then the best thing to suggest is a test drive when the vehicle becomes available.

NVH is quite difficult to categorize for another individuals varied tastes.

I hope you don't see my suggestions as an insult to you as that was not my intent.

There is no wrong answer to what each of us prefers although there does tend to be a direct correlation between weight or lack of weight and specified levels of NVH...

I guess we will have to wait and see. Maybe there will be a sound deadening luxury option for consumers to chose to order? That would be a nice option to offer for you if available. I wouldn't check off that option but it could be a nice way to as you suggested expand the customer base and should be easy to implement. Choices are good and I'm sure GM would love to find new ways to increase profitability per sale. Nothing wrong with that.

My friends with ferraris 488 or 430s do speak of their NVH for extended trips....so I understand your perspective...

It's just important to find the space you feel comfortable with.

I prefer and many corvette enthusiasts lean towards the more raw driving experience...and that's not intended to offend you.

If you don't..that's ok too.

Have a nice evening.

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-30-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:05 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

What in the WORLD are you talking about. This entire post is WRONG. Not wrong in my opinion, factually incorrect.
If you think the C7 is ANYTHING like ANY Viper then you've clearly never DRIVEN a Viper and a C7. They are diametric. To even compare them is just silly.

And then, calendar year 2017 saw MORE Corvettes delivered than the 911/F-Type/SL/AMG GT COMBINED. Clearly, the C7 is NOT simply appealing to "track rats and racer wannabees".

Last edited by jimmyb; 04-30-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

What in the WORLD are you talking about. This entire post is WRONG. Not wrong in my opinion, factually incorrect.
If you think the C7 is ANYTHING like ANY Viper then you've clearly never DRIVEN a Viper and a C7. They are diametric. To even compare them is just silly.

And then, calendar year 2017 saw MORE Corvettes delivered than the 911/F-Type/SL/AMG GT COMBINED. Clearly, the C7 is NOT simply appealing to "track rats and racer wannabees".
We're talking about the C8 on this forum, not the C7. The C8 will be more expensive, competing against higher priced cars.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-01-2018 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8