Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Chevy going to step up with AWD with C8 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/driv...oject-one.html

Watch the video.

1000+ horsepower, 0-125 MPH in less than 6 seconds. AWD.

All for the price of a C7 GS. Dream on.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:43 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I think an AWD Corvette will happen, but as a hybrid. Both the Porsche 918 and the Acura NSX are reportedly excellent handling cars and use electric motors on the front axle to instantiate AWD. I think IF Corvette goes AWD, they will follow this trend.

One big step will be a 48V electrical bus driven by an integral starter generator between the flywheel and the transmission. I think this is coming, because it will greatly simplify accessory drives, power distribution and control. It will also get rid of all the belts on the front of the engine. MB's whole line is going this way in MY2020.

BTW, read in the NYT that Johan de Nysschen is history at Caddilac. Replaced by a GM insider. I guess now, the 4.2L TT may very well head over to Corvette in spite of Nysschen's pronouncements to the contrary !
de Nysschen's been gone over a month now.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:38 PM
Iker
Burning Brakes

Received 1,275 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
Chevy is not behind, Lambo still offers a RWD Huracan, and so does Porsche. The AWD will yield a heavier ME Vette and certainly not as much fun.
I totally disagree with you
Lambo is still offering RWD in very small percentage of total production only for some reasons
Porsche I think is no longer producing RWD

Now, the new Mercedes E63 and BMW M5 are both becoming AWD with outstanding accelerations even better than current Z06. CTS-V are years behind them even with more power and less weight
BTW, both E63 and M5 enable you to drive them in RWD mode

Last edited by Iker; 05-21-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:46 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker

I totally disagree with you
Lambo is still offering RWD in very small percentage of total production only for some reasons
Porsche I think is no longer producing RWD

Now, the new Mercedes E63 and BMW M5 are both becoming AWD with outstanding accelerations even better than current Z06. CTS-V are years behind them even with more power and less weight
BTW, both E63 and M5 enable you to drive them in RWD mode

Uh...no.
Porsche makes 24 911 variants. 10 are RWD
The 718 twins (Boxster/Cayman) and all the variants are available ONLY in RWD.

If your standard is STRAIGHT LINE acceleration, then AWD is for you. But to compare an E63/M5 to a Z06 based on ONE performance metric is just ignorant. Put E63/M5/Z06 on VIR and let me know how that works....

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-21-2018 at 03:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Suns_PSD (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:21 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Watch the video.

Not quite, Joe, I think you have to be asked to buy one and they are well over $1M. The car is, however, a showcase for what MB is bringing to their regular passenger cars - the first being the 2019 CLS. The 1.6L F1 engine is replaced with a turbo I-6, but the architecture is pretty much the same.

WRT AWD, it is not obvious to me how a pair of electric motors and a few lines of code for the engine controller are more expensive than a transfer case and bunch of shafts to tie the front and rear wheels together. My wife owns an E350 4Matic, and it is a pretty nice ride in the snow. It works.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
Chevy is not behind, Lambo still offers a RWD Huracan, and so does Porsche. The AWD will yield a heavier ME Vette and certainly not as much fun.
True, unless you plan on driving in snow country modern traction control is superior & much lighter than AWD.

Lamborghini uses AWD to help mediocre drivers handle massive hp.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:24 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Finagel
Lets get serious. AWD is safer and if you watch some shows (ok they maybe in sand) but AWD smokes RWD.) with that said with 4 wheels pulling for you pleasure you can't go wrong. Don't get me wrong I love american Mussel cars. but look at the Dodge Demon. What a disaster it cant even go on a drag strip. By NHRA standards. AWD cars can. AWD are safer and are the wave of the future I just hate to see an american can to be 20 years late to the game..
If all you want it a fast 0-30 time sure. The McLaren 720s beats just about any car on earth accelerating and it is 2wd. Sure AWD helps heavy electric Teslas to accelerate fast but how is that going to work on a road coarse?

My gallardo is only slower to do a "launch mode" start now that it is 2wd. It is faster on a track, faster accelerating at all times except from a dead stop and takes corners much better now. I only ever used the launch mode like twice anyway since it was pretty violent to the car, shoot nissan GTRs limit the number of launch modes you can do before the warranty is voided.

The 2wd Lambos from the factory Lamborghini lessens the power and softens the suspension to make sure the less expensive 2wd isn't faster than the more expensive AWD car.

This is the only advantage my car really had when it was still AWD:

Last edited by rgregory; 05-22-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:11 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Watch the video.

Completely ludicrous comparison.

Quick Reply: Is Chevy going to step up with AWD with C8 Corvette