Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another C8 (#) Spied

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:11 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

" I keep wondering if this is a brand-new or the almost locked design from pre-2009."

If you hold to this line of thinking, you may be told that it is an old-style design and car design has advanced way beyond that point. But, there are older designs that are difficult to improve on. Embellish, yes; improve, maybe not.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:04 PM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
My Guess is the GM will not repeat the 1963 scenario
Opening appears to be for a camera which would eliminate the objection to having a split rear window due to visibility.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:15 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

Back to the folding top on the (maybe) 'vert'...... I'm thinking that it's 2 pieces and folds down vertically behind the driver/passenger seats just like the the old Chevy SSr does. The 'down' side of this arrangement on a ME is that you have a real design challenge if you want show off the engine under a clear cover.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:28 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Clean sheet design

Originally Posted by vettedna
Thanks, it takes a lot of luck, since there is absolutely no one around me who is American and I can talk to. But it is my favorite foreign language.

Regarding the thread now I understand what you meant by the buttresses and I totally agree. On these pictures we can clearly see the 458 Spider-like design behind the B-pillar. The more details we get to know, the more obvious it gets that this car is absolutely stunning, in its simplicity close to perfection. I keep wondering if this is a brand-new or the almost locked design from pre-2009.
While anything is possible, it is unlikely in the extreme, just short of impossible, that the C8 would or could be anything but a clean-sheet design.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:55 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
Back to the folding top on the (maybe) 'vert'...... I'm thinking that it's 2 pieces and folds down vertically behind the driver/passenger seats just like the the old Chevy SSr does. The 'down' side of this arrangement on a ME is that you have a real design challenge if you want show off the engine under a clear cover.
I seem to end up posting this vid on several threads already. But the seam locations and buttresses that we can see on the mule are virtually identical to those on the Ferrari. Still seems the most plausible to me.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
I seem to end up posting this vid on several threads already. But the seam locations and buttresses that we can see on the mule are virtually identical to those on the Ferrari. Still seems the most plausible to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_rzDOGe3nI
Oh, that will be cheap to implement (NOT !!). I think an easier targa top is to split it left and right and stack the two into the frunk - manually.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:29 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Speednet
We finally get some quality exhaust sounds!

Sounds like a small block V-8 to me...an LT1 with a few updates ??
The following users liked this post:
elegant (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 05:53 PM
vettedna
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
" I keep wondering if this is a brand-new or the almost locked design from pre-2009."

If you hold to this line of thinking, you may be told that it is an old-style design and car design has advanced way beyond that point. But, there are older designs that are difficult to improve on. Embellish, yes; improve, maybe not.
this was a very gently put statement about truth and beauty. in the end as Keats would say they are the same. there are some designs that were perfect from day one. who other than the gentlemen from this forum would understand this better.
just read a very interesting piece of writing about Earl, Mitchell, Jordan, Irv Rybicki and all these wonderful people and they would agree.
when perfection is involved there is no such thing as old style. for me the advanced means functional aero. 720s, Performante and that sort of things. ALA is what Corvette uses (patented) as active aero. if we can believe what we may see on the pictures, then the door hides an aero channel (im not sure what is the right term for that) something the mclaren 720 has or the formula one cars used to have.
my question was merely that if Mr Lutz was so excited about what he had seen as a proposal for next gen XLR and ME Corvette ... has it been used or scrapped.

Last edited by vettedna; 05-20-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:17 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Oh, that will be cheap to implement (NOT !!). I think an easier targa top is to split it left and right and stack the two into the frunk - manually.
Is it really anymore difficult or expensive than the soft top we have now?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:04 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
Is it really anymore difficult or expensive than the soft top we have now?
Maybe not, but I see a lot more moving parts in that Ferrari than the Corvette ragtop. Of course if they do it in SMC fiberglass vs. stamped aluminum, that MIGHT be lighter and cheaper.

Quick Reply: Another C8 (#) Spied